Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marian Finucane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,199 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

alaimacerc wrote: »
    So you believe Brendan O'Connor believes himself to be "more than capable" of presenting the show. But evidently, not that he's actually capable of doing it.

Or at least, not with enough anti-feminist vigour for your liking.

Is English your first language,poster?

What the lad was saying was he would have liked Brendan to express the opinion he outlined, not that Brendan entertained those thoughts.

You really have to up your game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

You really have to up your game.

He says, in a poorly-punctuated AH-grade post, rashly purporting to "explain" an interpretation to me that my comment had already anticipated.

I know irony is dead these days, but dancing on its grave so gleefully seems in rather poor taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

McAleese on about the Church again. Does she just ring up one of her old pals in RTE any time that she wants to make a statment? I know more about her religious beliefs at this stage than I do about my own. Mary, if you don't like it then just f**king leave. Maybe you have been enabling them over all the years by supporting their institution, did you ever think about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

Full on church bashing morning on RTE Radio. No bashing of any other religion for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,417 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

This leo book sounds like it’ll be approved propaganda for the masses before the next election

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,157 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Full on church bashing morning on RTE Radio. No bashing of any other religion for some reason.

The Pope is coming next week. He's the head of the Catholic Church. So it's a fair reason to assume that the Catholic Church is going to be criticised. And given that the vast majority of Irish people are either Catholic or born Catholic, it seems logical that Irish media will focus most of their religious comment on the Catholic Church.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Won’t be reading Leo’s biography

honeybear wrote: »
    Won’t be reading Leo’s biography

Seems to be just blatant propaganda from the sound of it

Sounds a tedious read

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

McAleese on about the Church again. Does she just ring up one of her old pals in RTE any time that she wants to make a statment? I know more about her religious beliefs at this stage than I do about my own. Mary, if you don't like it then just f**king leave. Maybe you have been enabling them over all the years by supporting their institution, did you ever think about that?
    It was an ad for an RTE programme thinly disguised as an interview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Another coverup was revealed during the week and the pope is coming next week. Seems like a relevant discussion, particularly for a nation so affected by abuse.

• Advertisement

Good chat about digital hubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Maybe the church needs people like Mary McAleese to rattle the cage. The church as it stands is not fit for purpose in the 21st century. We all know that, regardless of whether one is a member of the church or not. It's healthy to question and criticize institutions, be they political parties, the local GAA club or the church. I was at a family anniversary mass the other week (I'm a lapsed Catholic) and was struck by how small and old the congregation in the local church was. The mass was said by an African priest. Those are the two problems facing the modern church in a microcosm. Younger people aren't going to mass and young priests are like hen's teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I'm not aware of another religion that institutionally systematically covered up the abuse of children & continue to engage cynically in a policy of refusing to take responsibility & continue to "circle the wagons" on the issue.

Given the target of most of this abuse were the children of devoutly Catholic families & this blitz fest purports to be about "family" IMO it is a highly relevant & vital to expose the cynicism & in honesty they deserve a lot more than a bashing on radio.
    Personally I see the hand of the Almighty .... "the mills of God grind slowly etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Maybe the church needs people like Mary McAleese to rattle the cage. The church as it stands is not fit for purpose in the 21st century.

Schisms have been an ever present in the Christian church almost since its inception. The Eastern and Roman versions of the holy Roman empire, the various synods, councils, Niacea etc.
    What happened throughout history ws that Christianity segmented in to the various sects it has today. Catholicism being one.
    There are plenty of branches of Christianity that accord with Mary's beliefs. Anglicanism being fairly close.
    I am agnostic and I respect people's beliefs, however if Mary McAleese does not feel at home within the Catholic church maybe she should move sect instead of trying to force the Catholic church to bend to her wishes?
    I think she has a very high regard for herself and has being put on a pedestal in this country.
    Her husband's whitewash of the Magdalene laundry scandals is of more concern to me. How or why was he appointed to that role in the first place?
    He's a dentist.

PS: I don't expect any of the half wits, masquerading as journalists in this country, to go in to any of this with Mary McAleese.Group think mandates that she can say no wrong and it wouldn't occur to them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Documentary on one broadcasting at the moment tells a totally tragic story about a single mother and how she was treated in Listowel back in the forties and the shameful role of the clergy still affecting the daughter up to this day.

Shameful and tragic, words that come to the fore a lot when you look at the history of "our" church.

I think the point is this. RTE would lecture you about how you cannot tar all of the Travelling community as criminals because of a "minority" of criminals within their midst. Yet if you were to listen to RTE, you would think that a significant percentage of priests were involved in sex abuse, as this is the only narrative they present about the Church. I think Brendan was being disingenuous about RTE covering many positive stories about the upcoming events, it's just simply not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

Maybe the church needs people like Mary McAleese to rattle the cage. The church as it stands is not fit for purpose in the 21st century. We all know that, regardless of whether one is a member of the church or not. It's healthy to question and criticize institutions, be they political parties, the local GAA club or the church. I was at a family anniversary mass the other week (I'm a lapsed Catholic) and was struck by how small and old the congregation in the local church was. The mass was said by an African priest. Those are the two problems facing the modern church in a microcosm. Younger people aren't going to mass and young priests are like hen's teeth.

The Church is old fashioned, that's the point of it. It's not supposed to change its teachings to align with current fashionable opinion. When I heard the Irish Hillary Clinton was being interviewed I switched off the radio. She has no interest in the future of the Church. All she wants, and craves, is constant attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

dieselbug wrote: »
    Documentary on one broadcasting at the moment tells a totally tragic story about a single mother and how she was treated in Listowel back in the forties and the shameful role of the clergy still affecting the daughter up to this day.

Shameful and tragic, words that come to the fore a lot when you look at the history of "our" church.

It wasn't just the Church. It was society at the time. Do you realise the levels of poverty in Ireland in the 40s? This constant church bashing, while ignoring the economic, social and cultural factors at the time, is becoming extremely boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

I think the point is this. RTE would lecture you about how you cannot tar all of the Travelling community as criminals because of a "minority" of criminals within their midst. Yet if you were to listen to RTE, you would think that a significant percentage of priests were involved in sex abuse, as this is the only narrative they present about the Church. I think Brendan was being disingenuous about RTE covering many positive stories about the upcoming events, it's just simply not true.

The top brass were all complicit in the cover up of abuse. That's the primary narrative and it's accurate. Victim groups continue to be critical about their failure to handle abuse correctly. Basic church law continues to take precedence. So be as offended as you like but this should very much so be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

It wasn't just the Church. It was society at the time. Do you realise the levels of poverty in Ireland in the 40s? This constant church bashing, while ignoring the economic, social and cultural factors at the time, is becoming extremely boring.

As things turned out the local community rallied against the church and broke down the locked gates to the church to allow her remains to be brought in against the wishes of the canon who locked the gates.
    She died giving birth because she was refused admission to two if not three hospitals by the nuns because she was a single girl.
    As if that wasn't enough they came back for her daughter when she was 18 and put her in the laundries until the 90's

So yes I would say it was the the church who bear responsibility for her death and what happened to her daughter who is still suffering as a direct result of the actions of the clergy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

That one is never off the news lately. Now Mary can you fu5k off politely cause nobody wants to listen to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

dieselbug wrote: »
    As things turned out the local community rallied against the church and broke down the locked gates to the church to allow her remains to be brought in against the wishes of the canon who locked the gates.
    She died giving birth because she was refused admission to two if not three hospitals by the nuns because she was a single girl.
    As if that wasn't enough they came back for her daughter when she was 18 and put her in the laundries until the 90's

So yes I would say it was the the church who bear responsibility for her death and what happened to her daughter who is still suffering as a direct result of the actions of the clergy.

She was still refused a funeral Mass ... something which in the 40s was a big deal and no doubt added further to her parent's suffering. As has been said "so busy being Catholic they forget to be Christian" :mad:

Callan57 wrote: »
    She was still refused a funeral Mass ... something which in the 40s was a big deal and no doubt added further to her parent's suffering. As has been said "so busy being Catholic they forget to be Christian" :mad:

I think there is a sense of self importance about McAleese though. When asked about Nora Casey's event, she spoke of it in belittling terms and seemed to be annoyed that an invite wasn't hand delivered to her door, or that her approval was not asked. Somebody needs to tell her that she is no longer President - her opinion matters as much as the average citizen, and events don't need her seal of approval to take place.

I think there is a sense of self importance about McAleese though. When asked about Nora Casey's event, she spoke of it in belittling terms and seemed to be annoyed that an invite wasn't hand delivered to her door, or that her approval was not asked. Somebody needs to tell her that she is no longer President - her opinion matters as much as the average citizen, and events don't need her seal of approval to take place.

Most Church supporters correctly say that the Church critics are non or lapsed Catholics. McAleese on the other hand is a committed mass goer and said that she believes in transubstation during mass. Unlike the normal Church critics she does not want to see an end to religion in Ireland. So the internal criticism, criticism coming from within in the Church, is deeply irritating for Church supporters. And add in that's she's an incredibly intelligent woman.

Church supporters can't really debate with her so just want her to shut up and go away.

She started whinging about the RC only since the gay marriage ref. Listen Mary the church aint ever going to support gay marriage just because your son is.

She started whinging about the RC only since the gay marriage ref. Listen Mary the church aint ever going to support gay marriage just because your son is.

For years she couldn’t get enough of the church and had no problem preaching to us all.

This isn't true.

And she's been a critic of the Church's attitude to woman priests for decades.

This isn't true.

And she's been a critic of the Church's attitude to woman priests for decades.

Well she has really ramped it up now. I doubt she said much whilst she was president for 14 years. Most people I have talked to are fu5krd up with her rants.

Can we rename thread the Brendan O Connor Show?

• Advertisement

honeybear wrote: »
    Can we rename thread the Brendan O Connor Show?

I don't know what it is, but I think that she must be ill. cos there could be no other justification for such prolonged absences. Not on the money that she's on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement