Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marian Finucane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Ahwell

podmu80 wrote: »
    Think the point is that Ali Selim won't be challenged or criticised with the same level of vigour that the church is. For to do so would be deemed "islamophobic"

If a Catholic Bishop had said, more or less, the same thing the reaction would of been the same...very little. That's what you would expect them to say because that has always been the Catholic Church's position,i.e., homosexual acts can under no circumstances be approved and homosexuals should choose chastity. So he is highlighting what Ali Selim said for his own reasons, but ignoring the fact that Catholic clergy have been coming out with similiar crap here since time immemorial.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

fairly revelatory interview with John Boyne , Brendan's doing a good job with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Oops69 wrote: »
    fairly revelatory interview with John Boyne , Brendan's doing a good job with this.

It’s very raw. Just caught last few mins. Will def podcast

I was meant to read his book for our Bookclub-everyone loved it

he still sounds very vulnerable , hope he looks after himself .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Oops69 wrote: »

Seems a bit taken up with himself, if you ask me!

BarryD2 wrote: »

I think he’s expressing himself-warts and all. Refreshing

BarryD2 wrote: »
    I did say ' revelatory ' for a reason , even if he is ' taken up with himself' , it doesn't make him any less vulnerable

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

For an interview that went off on a tangent I thought Brendan did well there in allowing that story to evolve. Good radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Who was that moany Catholic woman on the panel, she was a right pain in the hole?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Who was that moany Catholic woman on the panel, she was a right pain in the hole?

Nora Casey.

She was unbelievable this morning.

Out of her depth within seconds.

She tried a smarty pants debating move with Brendan and to be fair to him he hauled her back to at least get her to make some sort of answer to his question.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yep. Same dinner party crowd every wkend. For example. They had the law society guy again this week, he was on only about 2 weeks ago.

Nora Casey.

She was unbelievable this morning.

Out of her depth within seconds.

She tried a smarty pants debating move with Brendan and to be fair to him he hauled her back to at least get her to make some sort of answer to his question.

I hate the way she always has to mention 'Richard'. She never explains who he is. We're supposed to know he was her husband.

As well as the obligatory referral to Richard, Norah kept saying “I campaigned .....”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Nora Casey. She tried a smarty pants debating move with Brendan and to be fair to him he hauled her back to at least get her to make some sort of answer to his question.

Nora Casey was playing the martyr this morning on behalf of her supposedly oppressed sex, when she turned to Brendan and said "Brendan there are a lot of women that would love to be in that chair that you're sitting in". I was dying for Brendan to say "I'm only in this chair temporarily, as the woman who sits here in the permanent position is away on one of her many weekends off. This woman gets paid multiples of what I get paid, even though I am eminently more capable of doing the job of presenting the show."

I was disappointed that Brendan stayed silent. I mean could he not have at least pointed out the stupidity of her remark at least, given that he is the stand-in and the permanent presenter is a very high paid woman.

Nora Casey was playing the martyr this morning on behalf of her supposedly oppressed sex, when she turned to Brendan and said "Brendan there are a lot of women that would love to be in that chair that you're sitting in". I was dying for Brendan to say "I'm only in this chair temporarily, as the woman who sits here in the permanent position is away on one of her many weekends off. This woman gets paid multiples of what I get paid, even though I am eminently more capable of doing the job of presenting the show."

I was disappointed that Brendan stayed silent. I mean could he not have at least pointed out the stupidity of her remark at least, given that he is the stand-in and the permanent presenter is a very high paid woman.

I was thinking the very same thing

Just listened to the John Boyne interview after all the recommendations here. I thought Brendan should have pulled the reins a little, and stopped John from making disparaging remarks against his ex partner who would be 100% identifiable from the interview. He said some not nice things about his ex, particularly about how he didn't visit him after his suicide attempt. If I was his ex, I would not have been very happy with the picture painted of me on national radio for the whole world to hear.

Given that The Marion Finucane Show has had to pay out twice already for things said on the show (1. Martin Callinan and 2. Angela Kerins), you would think that RTE would have an alarm on the wall when one of the guests looks like they are about to say something libelous.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,229 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

honeybear wrote: »
    I was thinking the very same thing

Casey is certainly coming across as a bit of a ‘weapon’ on any platforms I have heard her on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,187 ✭✭✭plodder

Just listened to the John Boyne interview after all the recommendations here. I thought Brendan should have pulled the reins a little, and stopped John from making disparaging remarks against his ex partner who would be 100% identifiable from the interview. He said some not nice things about his ex, particularly about how he didn't visit him after his suicide attempt. If I was his ex, I would not have been very happy with the picture painted of me on national radio for the whole world to hear.

Given that The Marion Finucane Show has had to pay out twice already for things said on the show (1. Martin Callinan and 2. Angela Kerins), you would think that RTE would have an alarm on the wall when one of the guests looks like they are about to say something libelous.
    I don't think it was libelous. He didn't disparage the guy's character, and whether he visited him or not, is presumably a matter of fact, and I think any reasonable person listening to the interview would see that in the right context.

I thought Brendan did a great job with it, nudging it along at the right points without being too pushy. And I should add, I hadn't heard of John Boyne before hand, but I'd be very interested in reading his books after listening to him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Just listening to paper review and came on to discuss Nora! She was chewing wasps from the first sentence, major chip on her shoulder with Brendan. Have they history?

pc7 wrote: »
    Just listening to paper review and came on to discuss Nora! She was chewing wasps from the first sentence, major chip on her shoulder with Brendan. Have they history?

Was going to post the same yesterday-definitely tension

honeybear wrote: »
    Was going to post the same yesterday-definitely tension

She's an attention seeking battleaxe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I love it when I hear people like her on the radio for the first time: she made it really easy for me to form an opinion of her. She really came across as objectionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

"Brendan there are a lot of women that would love to be in that chair that you're sitting in".
    Translation: "I'd love to be in that chair that you're sitting in - particularly if I was getting Marian Finucane's money".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

boombang wrote: »
    I love it when I hear people like her on the radio for the first time: she made it really easy for me to form an opinion of her. She really came across as objectionable.
    She was on the Newstalk breakfast programme for almost a year IIRC when Ivan Yates went off on his first break.

I'd be very interested to hear what her co-host at the time, Chris Donoghue, (now Simon Coveney's special advisor) made of her.

John Boyne is on with Matt Cooper now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,229 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

John Boyne is on with Matt Cooper now.

I knew I heard a high pitched whine from the thrannie, knew Cooper was on, switched to another station.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Chris Rock on OJ Simpson.

"I don't agree with it, but I understand!!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

"[...]This woman gets paid multiples of what I get paid, even though I am eminently more capable of doing the job of presenting the show."

So you believe Brendan O'Connor believes himself to be "more than capable" of presenting the show. But evidently, not that he's actually capable of doing it.

Or at least, not with enough anti-feminist vigour for your liking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement