Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Film Board Mega Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Or a demotivaitioanl sports film.
    Big Fan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Any Given Sunday is another I'd recommend, not just for the action but also for the hyper-kinetic style. (Dir. Oliver Stone, starring Al Pacino, Jamie Foxx, James Woods, and Cameron Diaz in an unusually powerful role as the team owner.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Smokin_Aces

The Rookie - A Texas baseball coach makes the major league after agreeing to try out if his high school team made the playoffs. IMDB

Miracle - Miracle tells the true story of Herb Brooks (Russell), the player-turned-coach who led the 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team to victory over the seemingly invincible Russian squad. IMDB

Glory Road - In 1966, Texas Western coach Don Haskins led the first all-black starting line-up for a college basketball team to the NCAA national championship. IMDB

We are Marshall - When a plane crash claims the lives of members of the Marshall University football team and some of its fans, the team's new coach and his surviving players try to keep the football program alive. IMDB

The Junction Boys - Story of Bear Bryant's first summer as head football coach at Texas A&M. Bear takes his charges out onto the scorched plains and sees who survives. IMDB

The Express - A drama based on the life of college football hero Ernie Davis, the first African-American to win the Heisman Trophy. IMDB

I really enjoyed these films. Like above mentioned Any Given Sunday and Friday Night Lights is a must watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Gridiron Gang, The Longest Yard & Mean Machine are all different versions of the same movie.

Really enjoyed Mean Machine - head and shoulders above the rest imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

gridiron gang isnt the same story at all (its based on actual events) but there are 3 versions of the longest yard, no way mean machine is the best of them -however its probably better than the new hollywood one

how come nobody has mentioned the mighty ducks yet? :D

also there is some movie where terence howard plays a swim coach to underpriviledged kids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

bnt wrote: »
    Any Given Sunday is another I'd recommend, not just for the action but also for the hyper-kinetic style. (Dir. Oliver Stone, starring Al Pacino, Jamie Foxx, James Woods, and Cameron Diaz in an unusually powerful role as the team owner.

Was just gonna suggest Any Given Sunday, greta movie with one of the most inspirational speeches in movie history.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Varsity blues is surprisingly enjoyable watch. Any Given Sunday is brilliant. I was disappointed with Friday Night Lights, but I think that's mainly because it was built up so much for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I'm trying to learn French in my spare time, and thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to watch a few French films. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't really mind what genre, but I'd rather a bit of a mix and not all existential, angst ridden works on the pain of being! Oh, and I have Betty Blue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Mesrine 1 & 2 are pretty good.
    Ne Le Dis a Personne wasnt bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

A Prophet, Le Boucher, Le Balance

Three Colours Red, White, Blue

Jean De Flourette and Manon des Sources

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Dr.Giggles

L'apartment is a good movie and Amelie of course oh oh and La Haine one of my all time favourites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Tall blond man with one black shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

+1 for Amelie, which is a sweet, comic film, not at all angst-ridden.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

+1 For Jean De Florette

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Martyrs,Ils,Dobermann and Switchblade Romance are all well worth tracking down.Betty Blue is also a very underrated film.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Martyrs,Ils,Dobermann and Switchblade Romance are all well worth tracking down.Betty Blue is also a very underrated film.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm just after watching "Hidden". Thought it was very good, even if some might think the ending a tad unsatisfying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Einhard wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm just after watching "Hidden". Thought it was very good, even if some might think the ending a tad unsatisfying.

Some of the other Michael Haneke films like the Piano Teacher and the White Ribbon are well worth tracking down too. Hidden is probably his 'masterpiece', but he's a fascinating director.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

Some of the other Michael Haneke films like the Piano Teacher and the White Ribbon are well worth tracking down too. Hidden is probably his 'masterpiece', but he's a fascinating director.

Pretty much everything he's done is good. Code Unknown is also really good - deals with alot of the same issues as Hidden. Funny Games is brilliant (the american remake is a notch below it, but still good).

Also his early stuff - Benny's Video and the Seventh Continent are truly disturbing movies, not for the faint hearted. They aren't as cinematic as his later stuff, but you won't forget them in a hurry!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

duckworth wrote: »
    Pretty much everything he's done is good. Code Unknown is also really good - deals with alot of the same issues as Hidden. Funny Games is brilliant (the american remake is a notch below it, but still good).

Also his early stuff - Benny's Video and the Seventh Continent are truly disturbing movies, not for the faint hearted. They aren't as cinematic as his later stuff, but you won't forget them in a hurry!

Yeah I've seen most of them and all are pretty good, although some like Funny Games do feel a bit more 'academic' on occasion - not necessarily a bad thing though. Hidden, The Piano Teacher and White Ribbon are the three that really grabbed me, although Code Unknown and The Hour of the Wolf do have their appeal as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭joebucks

Great short movie. Well much better than your man from American Beauty's one about plastic bags!

http://futurestates.tv/episodes/plastic-bag

Directed by Ramin Bahrani. Narration by Werner Herzog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭ThisNoize

Hi guys, I'd like some recommendations for Horror movies, that generally scared you at a mature age.
    I feel quite desensitized, and can only remember being scared by 'Friday the 13th' but I was very young.

I want a true Horror movie, no SAW/Hostel gore crap.

I'm open to any suggestions, from any time zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Nightmare on elm street.
    The ring.
    Exorcist.
    Final destination (the first one)
    The shining

Just a few which play on your mind, well mine, way after viewing.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Check out this thread for the Boards Definiteive Top 100 Horror Films:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055881746

Personally I'd recommend Halloween, The Thing, The Hitcher, An American Werewolf In London and The Evil Dead to start you off. Keep in mind though that the youngest of these films is 25 years old so there will be need to compensate for old school visuals etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭ThisNoize

Seen most of them.
    The Shining, Halloween and The Thing. All good examples. :)

Had a sift through the list and I've decided to watch Poltergeist, as I've always wanted to, but never got around to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

ThisNoize wrote: »
    I want a true Horror movie, no SAW/Hostel gore crap.

Frailty

Jacob's Ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Saw the ring (Ringu) original version the other night. I was on my own (the way it should be) but wasn't overawed. I don't know, maybe its a cultural thing but it didn't really scare me so much. The sense of dread is thin but at times quite strong. It was good overall, I enjoyed it but wouldn't have found it as good as I expected from other's reviews I must say.

Hope this doesn't grate against anyone who's favourite horror of all time I just dragged through the dirt :o

Some "horrors" I really liked recently were a pair of French ones, Martyrs and Irréversible. Seriously though, irréversible is one of the greatest film experiences you can have. I'd watch it alone or with one person cause like for most films in this genre, a crowd will ruins the mood. Also watch it loud with a good sound system, in the dark with a large screen. This is seriously important because half the film is how it sounds and is shot. It tries to disorient and sicken you with camera work and audio tricks as must as with the on screen content.

Older, I loved Event Horizon and I have to say the first Scream does provide a good thrill, but little depth - no dread.

I'm open to suggestions too, keep them coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Hondo75

Trick R Treat..was below the radar a couple of years ago,four stories interwoven. anyone see this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtgL_ULU05M
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/trick_r_treat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Go Japanese - they come up with some seriously messed up stuff

"Suicide Circle" - Not a horror per-se but will definitely get under your skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Hondo75 wrote: »
    Trick R Treat..was below the radar a couple of years ago,four stories interwoven. anyone see this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtgL_ULU05M
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/trick_r_treat

Saw it last year. A decent watch, but nowhere near as good as I'd been lead to believe, but thats more a fault of online hype than the film. Dylan Baker as ever, is awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭blodvyn

As the title says, looking for some feel good comedies / romcoms to watch with the oh, along the lines of "the rebound" "sweet home alabama" ect ect.

Advertisement