Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Film Board Mega Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Star_killer

never seen that! cheers one for the list!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

audition

switchblade romance

Marthyrs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

Paranormal Activity scared the bejesus out of me as embarrassed as I am to admit that!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Threads merged. Loads of good horror recommendations on the last two pages as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

Just after watching Whip it! (5/5)

Have to recommend it to anyone. Loads of funny bits and I could watch it over and over again. Was a little unsure of Drew staring in her own movie but she acts brilliantly. She's kept in the background but still a main character of the movie.

Drew Barrymore makes her directorial debut with Whip It, the story of an ex-beauty pageant contestant named Bliss (Ellen Page) who leaves her crowns behind after joining a roller-derby team. While her mother would prefer that Bliss unlace her skates and step back before the judges, the rebellious teen instead seeks the wisdom of rowdy mentor Maggie Mayhem (Kristen Wiig) in learning the tricks of the circuit track.

Genre: Comedy
    Recommended if you like: Kick ass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

audition

switchblade romance

Marthyrs

yes, yes, yes!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Hmmm Session 9 hasn't been mentioned yet. Excellent supernatural thriller. Seems to be a bit of a marmite film. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0261983/

Moon has already been mentioned but it derserves another imo. Utterly brilliant film with an outsanding........cast!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Hmmm Session 9 hasn't been mentioned yet. Excellent supernatural thriller. Seems to be a bit of a marmite film. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0261983/

Moon has already been mentioned but it derserves another imo. Utterly brilliant film with an outsanding........cast!

I was disappointed by Session 9, it has a big name in horror circles but was a complete anti-climax. No tension created whatsoever throughout the movie despite the fact that they were onto a good central idea. There was one good scene late on but I really didn't care what happened to those cardboard characters. Audio / use of sound was poor too. Good idea poorly executed.

My recommendation along the same lines but (In my opinion) excellently executed is the massively underappreciated The Objective - freakiest movie I've seen in a long time, truly Alien and excellently shot. It had me thinking about it for a few days afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Goldstein wrote: »
    I was disappointed by Session 9, it has a big name in horror circles but was a complete anti-climax. No tension created whatsoever throughout the movie despite the fact that they were onto a good central idea. There was one good scene late on but I really didn't care what happened to those cardboard characters. Audio / use of sound was poor too. Good idea poorly executed.

My recommendation along the same lines but (In my opinion) excellently executed is the massively underappreciated The Objective - freakiest movie I've seen in a long time, truly Alien and excellently shot. It had me thinking about it for a few days afterwards.

Marmite indeed.:D

I must check out The Objective. Any film that makes you think afterwards is worth a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Thanks so much for the horror recommendations. I picked up a load of horror movies - enough to last me a few weeks i'd say. Bought the last house on the left and watched it. Great movie. Bought boxset of the hills of eyes (1and2) looking forward to that.

Bought 2 more dvds, brought them home, turned them on and they have subtitles and think they are in spanish. I dont like subtitled movies. My own fault really, I should have checked in the shop that they were not in english but never thought of it. I should have copped on too since they were under the section of world cinema but never did.

Will be coming here often for a read and will be looking forward to adding more to my limited dvd collection but will have to buy carefully in future and make sure that they are not subtitled movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

A few films out of my DVD collection that may not be widely known:

Horror/Comedy:
    Dog Soldiers: One of my favourites.

Asian:
    Zatoichi: A blind samurai wanders through fuedal Japan.

Full Time Killer: Story about two rival assasins

Sports:
    Slap Shot: An ice hockey teams struggle to survive in the minor league in Canada

Supernatural:
    Night Watch: A Russian supernatural fantasy thriller

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭paulosham

Film
    if....
    Primer
    The Limey

Documentary
    The White Diamond

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 senord

Thanks to the interwebs i've got to see a host of great foreign flicks recently, mostly Korean, Chinese and Japanese but some European ones too. (i used to get em in the video place on Georges St but i've moved since)

So good to get a fresh perspective on Cinema. Two of my favourites, A tale of two sisters and memories of murder easily rival anything i've seen.

anyone got any other suggestions?

Btw, who's been to the Japanese film festival in Dublin last year? any ideas if it's coming back??

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Feu

thanks OP good thread!

My favourite foreign language film used to be Cinema Paradiso, gorgeous score and lush stunning setting/sets in small italian town. Also Amelie - gorgeous score, quirky plot, and both leads easy on the eye :D

I think though that The Lives of Others [Das Leben der Anderen] has taken both over. The storyline and plot are well conceived and exciting, leaving you literally holding your breath. And the cast are just sensational. And the performance of the Stasi officer Wiesler assigned to watch the couple is so moving, but believable. I really recommend seeing it if you've not had a chance to yet.

as for the chinese/asian stuff, i don't know much about it but i like what i've seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Bog

I think Feu has directed it towards foreign language films, there are a lot of foreign films outside of the Irish film industry OP!

I'd add my support to The Lives Of Others, enthralling and one of the greatest endings to a film I've seen in years.

Focusing on French cinema which I follow closely I'd also suggest Un Prophète by Jacques Aduiard and also his preceding film with Romain Duris, De Battre Mon Coeur S'est Arrêté.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Feu

gosh, i just presumed, sorry if that's not what you meant OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

The Chaser remains one of my favourite Korean film, definitely see it if you liked Memories of Murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Life is Beautiful.

/close thread :D

A more recent one that I really enjoyed is 'The Secret in their Eyes'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre- no film has disturbed me as much as this one and I've watched it about four times *Shudder*.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I've seen some films recently that I quite enjoyed, so thought I'd add them.

The Life of David Gale - Kevin Spacey, Laura Linney, Spacey is an inmate on death row. Story is very well put together, certainly worth a watch for anyone interested in that sort of thing.

Le Samourai - French film from 1967 about a hitman who gets caught up in a police investigation.
    This is one of the best looking films I have ever seen, it's as if all the sets were closely worked over, the colour scheme used is just beautiful. Dull colours, but they look great.

The Right Stuff
    - Film about the breaking of the sound barrier by American pilots and the early stages of the US astronauts. An extremely good cast (Ed Harris, Sam Shepard, Dennis Quaid, Fred Ward, Scott Glenn) and a very well worked film.
    Definitely worth a look in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Annal07

hey im looking for a good movie to watch something moving like remember the titans and gridiron gang ill list ones iv already seen like them plz tell me if u know of any more xxx
    remember the titans
    gridiron gang
    coach carter

any more would be great :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

Saturday Night Lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Varsity Blues.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

Pookah wrote: »
    Saturday Night Lights.

friday night lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Friday Night Lights, best sports movie ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

indough wrote: »
    friday night lights?

D'oh. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Hoosiers. Think it was released as 'Best Shot' in Ireland.
    All The Right Moves - Excellent, overlooked early Tom Cruise film.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Hoop Dreams

Advertisement