Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queen Elizabeth II to visit Ireland.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Surely the security risk is lower than thought, simply because the republicans, even the lunatic fringe of the republicans, can't be stupid enough to think attacking the Queen on Irish soil would end well? As in, goodbye GFA, hello 1970's at best.

I'm in favour of a visit. This country really needs to get over it's bitterness at the past, whether that be towards Thierry Henry, or the even more common EIGHT HUNDRED YEARS rabble rabble rabble version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

You are obviously not versed in the art of marketing and advertising.

A successfull visit by HRH would go a long way to vastly increasing the visits by UK citizens to our shores.

The corrollary of that is that a bad tempered visit disrupted by the cavemen mentality would ensure that anyone who was in doubt that we had become a modern society wouldn't come.

These people are huge revenue earners for our hard pressed economy.

Let's not alienate them.
    They haven't been alienated over the past ten years have they? If anything this visit will alienate them due to the protests and the coverage they will get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

A successfull visit by HRH would go a long way to vastly increasing the visits by UK citizens to our shores.

The corrollary of that is that a bad tempered visit disrupted by the cavemen mentality would ensure that anyone who was in doubt that we had become a modern society wouldn't come.

Let's not alienate them.

I disagree ;)

p.s no stats no proof. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

caseyann wrote: »
    I disagree ;)

So you think that a visit by HRH disrupted by the 'caveman mentality' and gratuitous violence, and getting wall-to-wall coverage in the UK would not deter our biggest tourist market from visiting us?

:eek:

So you think that a visit by HRH disrupted by the 'caveman mentality' and gratuitous voilence, and getting wall-to-wall coverage in the UK would not deter our biggest tourist market from visiting us?

Where is the cave man mentality,i would assume you mean having queens living in palaces and having billion pound homes where ever they wish just because they were born into it,and never having to work day in their lives and be paid for where ever they go cave man mentality.As opposed to what i am saying as logic and honest opinion.
    Nope i would say they wouldn't give a toss if she came or not and wouldn't deter them from coming if she didn't come,as they would be thinking we have to pay 8 million for someone to come over feck that i am not wanting that either in the middle of a recession.And they would pay no mind as it doesn't reflect on how Irish feel about English every day people.Or are they saying we have to be nice to their queen other wise we are cave man?

• Advertisement

Where is the cave man mentality,i would assume you mean having queens living in palaces and having billion pound homes where ever they wish just because they were born into it,and never having to work day in their lives and be paid for where ever they go cave man mentality.As opposed to what i am saying as logic and honest opinion.
    Nope i would say they wouldn't give a toss if she came or not and wouldn't deter them from coming if she didn't come,as they would be thinking we have to pay 8 million for someone to come over feck that i am not wanting that either in the middle of a recession.And they would pay no mind as it doesn't reflect on how Irish feel about English every day people.Or are they saying we have to be nice to their queen other wise we are cave man?

white_flag.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

When trade between the UK and Ireland is €26,000,000,000 a year, of course you welcome the head of state of your largest customer, if for nothing else on purely economic grounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭jordan..

Let's not alienate them.

rubbish!brits will come here as long as sterling is the dominant currency

they could not give a **** what we think of their Queen..

jordan.. wrote: »
    rubbish!brits will come here as long as sterling is the dominant currency

they could not give a **** what we think of their Queen..

I'd have to disagree with you on that.

If we treated their Head of State with disrespect, they would certainly care.

Brian Cowen just went to Downing St to meet David Cameron. She has nothing to do with politics and the economy of the uk. Why is it necessary for her to come here! I cant imagine people lining the streets to welcome her!?

• Advertisement

I'd have to disagree with you on that.

If we treated their Head of State with disrespect, they would certainly care.

Micheart ;) How she been disrespected by not wanting her to come and asking the Irish tax payer to fit a bill of 8 millon for her?
    Lets me thinks if we had not had her over and they refused to fit the bill of 8 million for our president would you be miffed and would Irish people be i am not going there anymore and ecomomy deflate between us?

Brian Cowen just went to Downing St to meet David Cameron. She has nothing to do with politics and the economy of the uk. Why is it necessary for her to come here! I cant imagine people lining the streets to welcome her!?

Neither does our president

IrishTonyO wrote: »

They dont need a 8 million security detail for any of our officials :p

Our president going there is as low key as it get!

A cup of tea and her shoes getting pissed on by the corgeys.

She is a monarch who leechs off her own society, if she wants to come here im sure she can foot the bill herself!

She is a monarch who leechs off her own society, if she wants to come here im sure she can foot the bill herself!

The Royal family more than pay for themselves.

Do you seriously think that we can expect our President to be well received in the UK and not have the reciprocal courtesy extended to their head of state.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

As long as she tales her wn tea nd buiscuits its fine by me ...:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

So you think that a visit by HRH disrupted by the 'caveman mentality' and gratuitous violence, and getting wall-to-wall coverage in the UK would not deter our biggest tourist market from visiting us?

You know it is possible to disagree with something and not resort to violence or indeed have a 'caveman mentality'.

All I'm hearing here, if you don't agree to welcome the Queen or agree to the visit you are either a 'little Irelander', have a 'caveman mentality', are living in the past and probably prone to violence. Utter, utter nonsense, even from those fiscal conservatives from other threads who don't mind footing a large bill, but sure it's easy to say we gain more than we pay without really backing it up, but sure it suits the argument at the time.

If the Queen gives up her throne, does not get offended if someone shakes her hand without a glove on, then I might consider welcoming her, but not before and I'm no republican and not much of a patriot.

The Royal family more than pay for themselves.

Do you seriously think that we can expect our President to be well received in the UK and not have the reciprocal courtesy extended to their head of state.

How do they pay for themselves? By being the biggest landowners in the British Empire? being heads of the Protestant church?

The British people couldnt care less if our president visited the uk or not.

Id be pretty sure that the royals would understand that they are still not welcome in this country!

How do they pay for themselves? By being the biggest landowners in the British Empire? being heads of the Protestant church?

The British people couldnt care less if our president visited the uk or not.

Id be pretty sure that the royals would understand that they are still not welcome in this country!

the royal family and the palaces are the biggest tourist attraction in the UK

the royal family and the palaces are the biggest tourist attraction in the UK

A non-argument, as if the royals line up for the tourists. Windsor and Buckingham would remain without the monarchy, they wouldn't just disappear into the ether should the monarchy be dissolved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

karma_ wrote: »
    A non-argument, as if the royals line up for the tourists. Windsor and Buckingham would remain without the monarchy, they wouldn't just disappear into the ether should the monarchy be dissolved.
    Just like the Palace at Versailles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

H

You speak for everyone do you? :rolleyes:

I can't believe that this thread is still going over such a non-issue. She is the head of state of our closest neighbour and trading partner. If we are unwilling to have her in the state we should have no diplomatic or trading relationship with her country. Anything else is just hypocritical. Bring on Queenie, I reckon half the country won't even realise she's here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Hello!! It's bloody Biffo that invited the Queen - she hasn't invited herself! Despite being a Brit myself I think it would be best if she didn't come as it will only give the knuckle draggers an opportunity to besmirch the name of Ireland.

Incidentally, the Queen and members of the immediate royal family are paid from the Civil List which is in turn funded from the Crown Estates. The Crown Estates income goes straight to the UK treasury and a proportion of this is paid back to the Queen. The Royal Family and their various palaces are like a gigantic version of keeping families in their stately homes administered by the National Trust in the UK. Here stately homes occupied by their original families are almost extinct, as most of them (the houses and estates) have either been pulled down or turned into golf courses which in many cases makes them more inaccessible to the general public than when they were privately owned.

It is a sad spectacle of Irish inferiority to see people here ranting on about the Queen and the cost of a proposed visit to Ireland which is completely outside of her control. The Queen is very well regarded in Britain, and elsewhere, and turning her visit here into a riot would be a PR disaster which we can do without.

It is a sad spectacle of Irish inferiority to see people here ranting on about the Queen and the cost of a proposed visit to Ireland which is completely outside of her control. The Queen is very well regarded in Britain, and elsewhere, and turning her visit here into a riot would be a PR disaster which we can do without.

I think it may be you projecting your own inferiority. I certainly don't feel as a nation Ireland is inferior to any other nation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

as would pretty much all the costs associated with them.

Any direct costs saved by replacing the monarchy would probably spent on a president, so I'm not sure the money arguement is all that relevant.

You then have the constitutions of Australia, Canada etc to take into consideration....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I think it may be you projecting your own inferiority.

No anyone who has read this thread can see the inferiority complex operating. Like keep on saying a lot of people seem to define themselves are anti-British instead of being Irish.

rovert wrote: »
    No anyone who has read this thread can see the inferiority complex operating. Like keep on saying a lot of people seem to define themselves are anti-British instead of being Irish.

Again, that's just insulting, if you can't win the debate with reason, demean your opposition. I'm certainly not anti-British or anti-English and I object to the notion that because I oppose the monarchy I'm some sort of frothing at the mouth Neanderthal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I think it may be you projecting your own inferiority. I certainly don't feel as a nation Ireland is inferior to any other nation.

Can't see your point? Where have I brought my inferiority into the argument or said that Ireland is inferior? I have said that certain posters here are displaying an inferiority complex. There certainly seems an extraordinary lot of stuff in many posts about the Queen being unelected, a leech, Mrs.Winsor (deliberately spelt wrong or by someone barely literate), as someone who honoured a British soldier involved in Bloody Sunday - she is a figurehead - a constitutional monarch above politics just the same as President Mary McAleese.

Night All.

Can't see your point? Where have I brought my inferiority into the argument or said that Ireland is inferior? I have said that certain posters here are displaying an inferiority complex. There certainly seems an extraordinary lot of stuff in many posts about the Queen being unelected, a leech, Mrs.Winsor (deliberately spelt wrong or by someone barely literate), as someone who honoured a British soldier involved in Bloody Sunday - she is a figurehead - a constitutional monarch above politics just the same as President Mary McAleese.

Night All.

I certainly didn't mean to offend but you did phrase it as 'Irish inferiority' which can be seen as something contrary to the point you were actually making.

• Advertisement

rovert wrote: »

So anyone who doesnt agree with her coming and thinks it is a waste of tax payers money and police resources and time,and see nothing good come of it or anything economically good as yous would argue for the reason makes better relations.And seen as there is no Irish British animosity and hasn't been for a long time except for the handful ,and all that will come out of it is yous and Fianna fail slapping yourselves on the back and good auld mary will get her tea mate over to show off her wealthy living while costing the Irish tax payer 8 million while we pay off the banks and god knows what else .
    The ones who are opposed to it have an inferiority complex? And yous are the ones in the mind set of thinking if we dont it will cause massive interference with our economy and with relations between England and Ireland.Who really has the inferiority complex?

At least We only spend 9 millon on Mary a year apparently lol not like 8 in few days
    President George Bush Jnr's 18-hour visit to Dromoland Castle, Co Clare, in June 2004 cost the state €4m in garda overtime alone, while the full bill for security precautions came in at over twice that figure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement