Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queen Elizabeth II to visit Ireland.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

rovert wrote: »
    Freudian slip!

I like to think that this thread is trying to cut down on that security bill. :pac:

Hahaha ooops :o lmao

Besides fireworks if the threat!!!!! is possible,the only other treat there would be is wait none.It is not going to make us any friendlier or help economics or anything about the north either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

Will it be new policy in the RoI to charge visiting heads of state? Will that be across the board for all heads of state, or will the RoI be restricting it's invitations to those heads of state it can afford to look after?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Rebelheart wrote: »
    It will be lovely and peaceful, just like when the Love Ulster lads arrived in 2006. How could any Irish person object to getting down on their knees as the head of a monarch which claims a part of Ireland in 2010 visits ....

I envisage all O Connell Street lined with kneeling Dubliners praying and waving Union Jacks as the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha one passes.

As an admitted jackeen I will have to join the other natives of Dublin.
    Also Dublin was always seen as the most "English" city in Ireland by provincials and this was coined as a term of derision stemming from the English flag, the Union Jack, by adding the diminutive, -een. Literally, "Little Jack". Derived from "shoneen", a sort of "working-class West Brit
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~nobyrne/ij.htm

junder wrote: »
    Will it be new policy in the RoI to charge visiting heads of state? Will that be across the board for all heads of state, or will the RoI be restricting it's invitations to those heads of state it can afford to look after?

Are your tax payers going to fit the bill for her down here?
    Yous choose to continue to be her subjects she is nothing to us and we have a country in recession and they are taxing and putting people in poor house and they want to pay eight million for her????
    If you like it so much tell her to go up there its up there that needs the visit not here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

If an old lady wants to visit Ireland then of with her i really don't care.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

What we all conveniently forget here is that a well received visit by the Queen would get extensive coverage in that island next to us which houses the guts of 70 million people.

Now some of those would look up from their cup of Twinings and opine "For fahhk sike Mavis,HRH got a great welcome over in Ireland, maybe we could pay a visit next year, them Paddies seem to have got sense at lawst"

Excellent return and paid for in spades.

Of course the cavemen won't see this, but hey, they are irrelevant anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Of course the cavemen won't see this, but hey, they are irrelevant anyway.

But what is she? (<<<< sorry my arguments are getting shorter)

We should really get all the Heads of State over to get an even better marketing push. Failte Ireland might be interested.

Again I am indifferent to her visit, as I am to most Head of State's visits.

caseyann wrote: »
    Are your tax payers going to fit the bill for her down here?
    Yous choose to continue to be her subjects she is nothing to us and we have a country in recession and they are taxing and putting people in poor house and they want to pay eight million for her????
    If you like it so much tell her to go up there its up there that needs the visit not here.

My taxs will be going to pay for heads of state visiting the uk, no doubt I will be having pay for head of state to visit the uk on the future. Such the nature of diplomacy

My taxs will be going to pay for heads of state visiting the uk, no doubt I will be having pay for head of state to visit the uk on the future. Such the nature of diplomacy

Anyway she is already getting enough of your taxes to last a lifetime.

Security will always be an issue with most heads of state.

Yeah because it fits the bill of 8 million for some old woman who does nothing and sits in a house rattling around how many rooms and how many servants? Never having to lift a finger to do anything but wave.
    If was someone like a the prime minister who actually does do something and wouldnt even cost as much to have him here thats fair enough but a old woman who does nothing and is nothing.We are meant to honour her and pay for her for what?
    I swear i am quiting my job and claiming like the rest of the smart people in this country.

• Advertisement

Yeah because it fits the bill of 8 million for some old woman who does nothing and sits in a house rattling around how many rooms and how many servants? Never having to lift a finger to do anything but wave.
    If was someone like a the prime minister who actually does do something and wouldnt even cost as much to have him here thats fair enough but a old woman who does nothing and is nothing.We are meant to honour her and pay for her for what?
    I swear i am quiting my job and claiming like the rest of the smart people in this country.

Casey, you really need to lift up your head and think outside the box.

How many American tourists visit the UK every year? almost 5 million?

What is the biggest attraction?

Buckingham palace and the trappings of Royalty.

Extrapolate that to every tourist who visits Britain and you will find the Royal

family pay for themselves indirectly.

Don't let you closemindedness cloud your common sense.

Don't let you closemindedness cloud your common sense.

Let the dollar do that for you :) Also it prob only pays for her in London. The history would still be there.

I guess you won't be inviting Obama over any time soon as I am sure it will cost a lot more the 8 million.

I guess you won't be inviting Obama over any time soon as I am sure it will cost a lot more the 8 million.

In fairness Obama has more than just a ceremonial roll. And there are more American's than English. $$$$$$

Typical small minded people Junder, who don't see the big picture.

Dependants of the state, afraid to take a risk, and cut off their noses to spite their faces.

Ireland is full of them, can't see the big picture.

The queen is still the head of state just as Obama is and in the absence if any British republican movement it's safe to say we are happy enough with her being our head of state.

No you can have him ,Funny i don't think somehow any of the countries our government officials visit cost your or their tax payers anything and the Irish pay for it themselves out of their taxes.But Irish tax payer has to pay for her? I am not paying for her security detail.

p.s also said she has two possible threats against her not just one like OBAMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

No you can have him ,Funny i don't think somehow any of the countries our government officials visit cost your or their tax payers anything and the Irish pay for it themselves out of their taxes.But Irish tax payer has to pay for her? I am not paying for her security detail.

Every country the president of Ireland visits or any government officials, the country they visit pay for the security operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Typical small minded people Junder, who don't see the big picture.

Dependants of the state, afraid to take a risk, and cut off their noses to spite their faces.

Ireland is full of them, can't see the big picture.
    The problem here is not that these people do not want Ireland to foot the bill for the Queen. Eight million is a small price to pay for the amount of publicity hosting her will bring throughout not only Britain but Canada and Australia also. Not to mention the BBC is the worlds largest news provider in the world.

No, the big problem here is that Irish nationalists are disguising their true reasons for opposing her visit with the cost, like eight million actually makes a difference to Ireland's overall economy. It is just a pity that the people of this once great country cannot grow up and accept that there are ideals out there that do not always match their own.

So you want nobody of any consequence to visit us, regardless of the spin off advantages, and pursue an isolationist policy?

I'd suggest that you work in the Public service.?

• Advertisement

No doubt it costs very little for british officials to visit your country but we ard not talking about diplomats we are talking about heads of state. Surly a country such as the RoI that prides it's self on being at the centre of Europe and the modern world can facilitate a visit from a neighbouring nation state

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Every country the president of Ireland visits or any government officials, the country they visit pay for the security operations.

8 million?

No doubt it costs very little for british officials to visit your country but we ard not talking about diplomats we are talking about heads of state. Surly a country such as the RoI that prides it's self on being at the centre of Europe and the modern world can facilitate a visit from a neighbouring nation state

It is not a good idea,on top of the fact she is no body as i also see Mary mcaleese as a no body and she should be gone,fitting a bill of 8 million out of the tax payers pocket in a recession is disgraceful.
    I will stop giving out if Fianna fail and greens and pd and Mary pay out of their own back pockets seen as they have enough,and stop robbing the Irish public.And most certainly does not cost any other country to have us there that much money.And if it did cost that much money for the British tax payer to have our farce of head of state over i would be mortified.

It is not a good idea,on top of the fact she is no body as i also see Mary mcaleese as a no body and she should be gone,fitting a bill of 8 million out of the tax payers pocket in a recession is disgraceful.
    I will stop giving out if Fianna fail and greens and pd and Mary pay out of their own back pockets seen as they have enough,and stop robbing the Irish public.And most certainly does not cost any other country to have us there that much money.And if it did cost that much money for the British tax payer to have our farce of head of state over i would be mortified.

Once again Casey you ignore the fact that the return to the State would be a multiple of the expense involved.

Look up and see the light!!

Once again Casey you ignore the fact that the return to the State would be a multiple of the expense involved.

Look up and see the light!!

You seriously think people are going to start flying in their droves and economics will sore because she visits?
    Where did you stand on lisbon treaty again?

You seriously think people are going to start flying in their droves and economics will sore because she visits?
    Where did you stand on lisbon treaty again?

It will gain far more than it costs Casey, you know that;)

It will gain far more than it costs Casey, you know that;)

Yeah and i am wonder woman :p
    Come on give us the figures waiting show me the money :D Proof of the statistics.

As far as i know if someone comes to Ireland is because they want to and not because the queen of England came over and they think oh Irish have coped on.It would be because they heard word of mouth from friends and family they visited and had fun and beautiful scenery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Would you care to explain - in clear and unambiguous terms - what you mean by "Dependants of the state"?

Yeah and i am wonder woman :p
    Come on give us the figures waiting show me the money :D Proof of the statistics.

As far as i know if someone comes to Ireland is because they want to and not because the queen of England came over and they think oh Irish have coped on.It would be because they heard word of mouth from friends and family they visited and had fun and beautiful scenery.

You are obviously not versed in the art of marketing and advertising.

A successfull visit by HRH would go a long way to vastly increasing the visits by UK citizens to our shores.

The corrollary of that is that a bad tempered visit disrupted by the cavemen mentality would ensure that anyone who was in doubt that we had become a modern society wouldn't come.

These people are huge revenue earners for our hard pressed economy.

Let's not alienate them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

So you want nobody of any consequence to visit us, regardless of the spin off advantages, and pursue an isolationist policy?

I'd suggest that you work in the Public service.?

Sorry, but what relevance does it have if someone works in the public sector? You might entertain staying on topic, instead of trying to attack someone's character.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement