Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queen Elizabeth II to visit Ireland.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

junder wrote: »
    Why? When she is the queen of the united kingdom and not just england

But she's not the queen of ireland and referring to her as the queen kind of implies she is, still inbred and a relic though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

getz wrote: »
    two big visits the queen of england and the pope of rome,you takes your pick,one will be greeted with fanaticism the other with indifference,both accused of being head of a army/religion that abused its citizens,

Both will be greeted with fanaticism and indifference, and all inbetween. Personally I don't think either have anything to add at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

fontanalis wrote: »
    But she's not the queen of ireland and referring to her as the queen kind of implies she is, still inbred and a relic though.
    She's the Queen of Northern Ireland. And maintains the title "Queen of Northern Ireland" due to this fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

dlofnep wrote: »
    So she would have no problem in ceremoniously removing the title of OBE from Derek Wilford, once would imagine.

I said I wouldn't post again but this is such crap. You know well the Queen has virtually no say in anything and a decision to go removing titles would be the down to David Cameron. If you that worried about it and not just a Brit-basher why don't you drop him a line. :mad:

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    She's the Queen of Northern Ireland. And maintains the title "Queen of Northern Ireland" due to this fact.

Well I suppsoe she deserves it, she worked hard enough for it.

• Advertisement

Well I suppsoe she deserves it, she worked hard enough for it.
    If you don't mind me saying your attitude is very counter-productive. How can we ever see a United Ireland when this is the way people react to the North's head of state paying a visit.

If you don't mind me saying your attitude is very counter-productive. How can we ever see a United Ireland when this is the way people react to the North's head of state paying a visit.

I'm indifferent ot the whole thing. I have absolutely no time for any monarchy. They are a relic, an embarassment to democracy and the human race.
    Apart from the King of Tory island.

I have absolutely no time for any monarchy. They are a relic, an embarassment to democracy and the human race.
    How do you work that one out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

I'm indifferent ot the whole thing. I have absolutely no time for any monarchy. They are a relic, an embarassment to democracy and the human race.
    Apart from the King of Tory island.

who, Balor?

How do you work that one out?

Why is she Queen?

• Advertisement

who, Balor?

Off with your head.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kingoftory.jpg

Why is she Queen?
    She was the grand-daughter of the King. Now you have to answer my question.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Denerick wrote: »
    Bigots they may be, but our constitution protects the rights of citizens to peacefully assemble in public areas in support of whatever cause they deem appropriate. A tiny minority prevented natives of this island from exercising what should be their constitutional right. Ireland will never be united if we insist on forcing Unionists to conform to what some very small minded people who have never read a history book perceive to be their 'Irish' identity.

It is funny how you change your whole argument to suit yourself. I some how don't think that the Unionist involved in the "Love Ulster" parade where all that knowledgeable of "their" constitutional rights or that the even care.

Many people with this attitude seem to be just as bigoted and as backward as the people that you perceive to be bigoted and backward.

Anyway this whole argument is going around in circles, and in honour of circular threads let me repeat:-

Monarchs across Europe are an antiquated form of head of state. Ms. Windsor (she kept her maiden name her husband's is frightfully German) is welcome as any other monarch, if we are mature enough we won't make such a big deal of such state visits.

Imagine if she had House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg :rolleyes: but then she possibly isn't mature enough nor are the English for such names. (Windsor dates back to 1917)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

In future could people refer to the inbred relic as The Queen of England.

referring to her as the Queen is an abbreviation that we all understand, if you would prefer posters to use her full title then here it is, but I am sure you'll agree saying the Queen is a lot easier

Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of Great Britain, Northern Ireland and the British Dominions beyond the Seas Queen, Defender of the Faith,[2] Duchess of Edinburgh, Countess of Merioneth, Baroness Greenwich,[N 1] Duke of Lancaster, Lord of Mann, Duke of Normandy, Sovereign of the Most Honourable Order of the Garter, Sovereign of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle, Sovereign of the Most Illustrious Order of Saint Patrick, Sovereign of the Most Distinguished Order of Saint Michael and Saint George, Sovereign of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, Sovereign of the Distinguished Service Order, Sovereign of the Imperial Service Order, Sovereign of the Most Exalted Order of the Star of India, Sovereign of the Most Eminent Order of the Indian Empire, Sovereign of the Order of British India, Sovereign of the Indian Order of Merit, Sovereign of the Order of Burma, Sovereign of the Royal Order of Victoria and Albert, Sovereign of the Royal Family Order of King Edward VII, Sovereign of the Order of Merit, Sovereign of the Order of the Companions of Honour, Sovereign of the Royal Victorian Order, Sovereign of the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_titles_and_honours_of_Queen_Elizabeth_II

She was the grand-daughter of the King. Now you have to answer my question.

Why was the king king, and his father king and so forth and the whole way back to woden etc?
    I have no time for any monarchy as they are not elected and are relics of the middle ages.

Elmo wrote: »
    It is funny how you change your whole argument to suit yourself. I some how don't think that the Unionist involved in the "Love Ulster" parade where all that knowledgeable of "their" constitutional rights or that the even care.

You seem to be just as bigoted and as backward as the people you perceive to be bigoted and backward.

Anyway this whole argument is going around in circles, and in honour of circular threads let me repeat:-

Monarchs across Europe are an antiquated form of head of state. Ms. Windsor (she kept her maiden name her husband's is frightfully German) is welcome as any other monarch, if we are mature enough we won't make such a big deal of such state visits.

Imagine if she had House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg :rolleyes: but then she possibly isn't mature enough nor are the English for such names. (Windsor dates back to 1917)

Damn Angle Jutes; that's where trying to set themsleves up as seperate from the rest of the people on the isles as some noble race and the advent of World War 1 gets you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Il just call her Mrs Windsor, thanks very much.

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    referring to her as the Queen is an abbreviation that we all understand, if you would prefer posters to use her full title then here it is, but I am sure you'll agree saying the Queen is a lot easier

Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of Great Britain, Northern Ireland and the British Dominions beyond the Seas Queen, Defender of the Faith,[2] Duchess of Edinburgh, Countess of Merioneth, Baroness Greenwich,[N 1] Duke of Lancaster, Lord of Mann, Duke of Normandy, Sovereign of the Most Honourable Order of the Garter, Sovereign of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle, Sovereign of the Most Illustrious Order of Saint Patrick, Sovereign of the Most Distinguished Order of Saint Michael and Saint George, Sovereign of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, Sovereign of the Distinguished Service Order, Sovereign of the Imperial Service Order, Sovereign of the Most Exalted Order of the Star of India, Sovereign of the Most Eminent Order of the Indian Empire, Sovereign of the Order of British India, Sovereign of the Indian Order of Merit, Sovereign of the Order of Burma, Sovereign of the Royal Order of Victoria and Albert, Sovereign of the Royal Family Order of King Edward VII, Sovereign of the Order of Merit, Sovereign of the Order of the Companions of Honour, Sovereign of the Royal Victorian Order, Sovereign of the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_titles_and_honours_of_Queen_Elizabeth_II

I see, Helen Mirrens name would never have got on the poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Il just call her Mrs Windsor, thanks very much.

I'm sure she's concerned what you call her - it doesn't make you appear clever -really. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Not too sure where I read it-possibly the Examiner but I read a quote of €8 million? Is that seriously possible? If that's the case she should definitely stay put.Actually maybe she should either way.

• Advertisement

Why was the king king, and his father king and so forth and the whole way back to woden etc?
    I have no time for any monarchy as they are not elected and are relics of the middle ages.
    And what is wrong with being a relic of the middle ages?

IrishTonyO wrote: »

There are other queens in Europe (possibly related to "the" Queen) but to me they are Queen Whatever rather than "The" Queen. Queen Elizabeth II, Queen Beatrice.

Damn Angle Jutes; that's where trying to set themsleves up as seperate from the rest of the people on the isles as some noble race and the advent of World War 1 gets you!

Yeah 'cause that make it so much more mature. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

And what is wrong with being a relic of the middle ages?
    Wait, you claim that Republicans are living in the past yet you are heading this direction?

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Wait, you claim that Republicans are living in the past yet you are heading this direction?
    What do you mean heading in this direction? I'm not heading anywhere.

Regardless the Queen is just a tradition for the people of Britain now. She has no powers and they have no desire to remove her.

Yeah 'cause that make it so much more mature. :cool:

I'm reading a book called Saxons, Viking and Celts by Bryan Sykes at the minute (looking at the populating of the British Isles). In it he gives a brief (very brief) overview of the English Monarchy.
    He claims that the ruling classes tried to align themselves with "Saxon" Germany as a way of differentiating themselves from the Britons (scots, wels etc) and to show they were more pure etc
    But this backfired with strained relations with Germany. It does tie in with what you said about the name change, doesn't it?

Regardless the Queen is just a tradition for the people of Britain now. She has no powers and they have no desire to remove her.

Have they been asked? But as I have being saying the most mature of us seem to forget how such a role is purely antiquated in this day and age of democracy.

I'm reading a book called Saxons, Viking and Celts by Bryan Sykes at the minute (looking at the populating of the British Isles). In it he gives a brief (very brief) overview of the English Monarchy.
    He claims that the ruling classes tried to align themselves with "Saxon" Germany as a way of differentiating themselves from the Britons (scots, wels etc) and to show they were more pure etc
    But this backfired with strained relations with Germany. It does tie in with what you said about the name change, doesn't it?

It certainly shows their immaturity. I now think PR is the oldest profession.

Have they been asked? But as I have being saying the most mature of us seem to forget how such a role is purely antiquated in this day and age of democracy.
    And what role would that be?

• Advertisement

And what role would that be?

The role of Monarch as Head of State :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement