Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Dardania wrote: »
    curious why this is the case - is it for simplicity of their network? Seems an opportunity is present to take advantage here

for simplicity - what you gain in extra route options you lose in frequency on the direct routes. Simpler to just allow passengers to transfer at Abbey St.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

loyatemu wrote: »
    for simplicity - what you gain in extra route options you lose in frequency on the direct routes. Simpler to just allow passengers to transfer at Abbey St.

Plus, with the Leap card, the transfer would be seamless

• Registered Users Posts: 17,591 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

1huge1 wrote: »
    Plus, with the Leap card, the transfer would be seamless

LEAP fares are already zonal based so with or without a LEAP card it makes no difference. You can already buy a ticket from a green line stop to a red line stop as it is.

The LEAP fare will be cheaper though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Call me a cynic but I'm guessing the Luas central zone will be further divided up on completion of BXD to squeeze more profits out of users.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

AngryLips wrote: »
    Call me a cynic but I'm guessing the Luas central zone will be further divided up on completion of BXD to squeeze more profits out of users.

You're a cynic! :p

• Advertisement

AngryLips wrote: »

I don't think that will happen, but I'd expect a new zone for stops north of Broadstone.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

loyatemu wrote: »
    It is on O'Connell Street:

361984.png
    Sorry, but I see very clear non-right angles there as they do not bisect at 90deg.

Sorry, but I see very clear non-right angles there as they do not bisect at 90deg.

And what is your point?

There are plenty of railway crossings that are not at precise right angles.

It's not exactly unusual and is hardly a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

lxflyer wrote: »
    And what is your point?

There are plenty of railway crossings that are not at precise right angles.

It's not exactly unusual and is hardly a big deal.
    Maybe you missed something. Someone suggested the junction was a right angle and I simply just said that it was incorrect. To which a picture was provided as proof that they crossed at right angles (when it clearly seems to show that is not correct).

I'm a bit surprised at your suggestion that there is such a thing as a non-"precise right angle"; it's like being a little bit pregnant, you are or you aren't.

AFAIK the nature of the angle with which the tracks meet is important when considering the junction type - which is why we're discussing the track junctions at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

That video of the bridge is awesome.

My father law grew up around there, just sent him the link, he'll be delighted.

• Advertisement

Maybe you missed something. Someone suggested the junction was a right angle and I simply just said that it was incorrect. To which a picture was provided as proof that they crossed at right angles (when it clearly seems to show that is not correct).

I'm a bit surprised at your suggestion that there is such a thing as a non-"precise right angle"; it's like being a little bit pregnant, you are or you aren't.

AFAIK the nature of the angle with which the tracks meet is important when considering the junction type - which is why we're discussing the track junctions at all.

I couldn't care less whether it is at right angles or not - it makes no difference to providing a crossover across the tracks.

I wasn't being precise in my language - you really are taking this too literally.

The bottom line is that there was space for one connection at either junction.

After the original plans were shelved, there was never any plan to have trams switching between lines operationally, so the whole discussion is somewhat moot.

They are only ever going to be used for our of service movements where, for example, trams need to be transferred between depots.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

The section where fleet st meets weadmoreland st has been reopened with the tram tracks installed in the road...can't attach a picture using the boards app however...

The junction of Fleet st. And Westmoreland st. has been reopened with the tracks installed in the road.

I can't upload the photo I took this morning on this app for boards though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    The junction of Fleet st. And Westmoreland st. has been reopened with the tracks installed in the road.

I can't upload the photo I took this morning on this app for boards though :(

Stick it on http://imgur.com/

Do I need to set up an account, upload it to it, and then link it across?

Imgur will let you upload without an account, there is probably an Android/iOS app too

MJohnston wrote: »
    Imgur will let you upload without an account, there is probably an Android/iOS app too
    Finally could do it on the mac!

So, finally tangible evidence of progress...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Safe to assume the tar around the track is temp until proper stone is laid?

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Safe to assume the tar around the track is temp until proper stone is laid?

Yeah, I was thinking that myself looking at it. though not all of the LUAS line along harcourt street is stone...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Yeah, I was thinking that myself looking at it. though not all of the LUAS line along harcourt street is stone...

Yeah maybe but to me it doesn't look like long term tar.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Came across one whopper of an oxymoron on the Transport Ireland website :D
    The Luas network consists of two separate lines

http://www.tii.ie/light-rail/luas/red-and-green/index.xml

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

So, finally tangible evidence of progress...

I'm pretty certain I also spotted a small section of newly laid tracks on O'Connell Street north of the Spire when I drove past in the dark the other night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,303 ✭✭✭cgcsb

track is down north of the spire, it also looks like they're getting some track into the dominick st section soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Brasso

I got an email to say "rail deliveries" will be taking place around college green over the next few nights until Thursday and then again from Sunday until next Thursday(19th).

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

cgcsb wrote: »
    track is down north of the spire, it also looks like they're getting some track into the dominick st section soon.

I would imagine so, they are digging the sh!te out of that area currently and carting away tons of material

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Paddico

Can any tell what is the scheduled opening date?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,303 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Dec 2017/Jan 2018 provided no hiccups. The govt might insist on a few additional delays around Easter Time for the rising celebrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

with the absolute disaster that is the m50, can many people see people taking dart to Tara Street, then few minute walk to southbound stop at trinity and then taking Luas to dundrum, sandyford, leopardstown, cherrywood etc?

Alternatively coach from northside, using port tunnel, down quays and let them off at rosey hackett bridge and can walk one minute to marlborough street southbound stop...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

its an interesting point. I wonder what the time difference is going Swords to Sandyford via m50 vs. taking the Swords Express through the port tunnel and then Luas to Sandyford during rush hour. I'd imagine driving would probably be quicker but with the m50 getting more and more packed the time difference is likely getting smaller

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    its an interesting point. I wonder what the time difference is going Swords to Sandyford via m50 vs. taking the Swords Express through the port tunnel and then Luas to Sandyford during rush hour. I'd imagine driving would probably be quicker but with the m50 getting more and more packed the time difference is likely getting smaller

Time difference isn't the only factor, public transport is about 500% better for your blood pressure, fact ;)

Advertisement