Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I see they've started clearing undergrowth on the old line that runs under Cabra Road. It's not much but it's great to see some progress on the project away from the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 eminoz

I see they've started clearing undergrowth on the old line that runs under Cabra Road. It's not much but it's great to see some progress on the project away from the city centre.

Agree! At it a few weeks now.
    There have been drainage problems here for years; what they're doing is laying a foundation for the (eventual) tracks which will also hopefully overcome the swamp-like conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

RPA have finally approved a northbound Dawson St stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Are the plans from it any different from the original plans? Because, if not, then what was all the fuss about in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

AngryLips wrote: »
    Are the plans from it any different from the original plans? Because, if not, then what was all the fuss about in the first place?

Originally the two platforms were at separate parts of the street, now they're directly across from each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Well actually it's An Bord Pleanala that has approved it. The RPA were proposing it.

More info here:
    https://www.luascrosscity.ie/news/donohoe-welcomes-decision-on-dawson-st-northbound-luas-cross-city-stop/
    Donohoe welcomes decision on Dawson St northbound Luas Cross City stop

The Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport, Paschal Donohoe TD, has today (Thursday) welcomed the decision by An Bord Pleanála to allow the Railway Procurement Agency (RPA) to develop a northbound stop on Dawson Street as part of Luas Cross City.

The new Luas line, Luas Cross City, which will run from the Green Line terminus at St. Stephen’s Green through the city centre, Phibsborough and Cabra to Broombridge, is on budget and on time for opening in Q4 2017. Provision has already been made for a southbound stop on Dawson Street.

The decision of the Board was based on the fact that the proposed development would be in accordance with the proper planning and sustainable development in the area. The RPA, together with the National Transport Authority (NTA), who are funding Luas Cross City, will now include and plan for a northbound stop on Dawson Street.

Minister Donohoe said: ‘It is very welcome news that An Bord Pleanála has ruled to allow for a northbound stop on Dawson Street to be constructed as part of the new line. Luas Cross City is set to see what is an already extremely successful piece of transport infrastructure grow even further, with an additional 10 million journeys expected each year when it comes on stream.

“I know that this application had widespread support from key stakeholders in the business community, Dublin City Council, Dublin Bus and the community generally; a fact that has been acknowledged by both the RPA and the NTA. In particular, the business representative groups Dublin Town, Dublin City Business Association and Dublin Chamber of Commerce, together with individual businesses, offered fulsome support.

“I also know that the Luas Cross City team has been very active on the ground in engaging with local businesses as works have been progressing and that businesses along Dawson Street were particularly keen to have a northbound stop located there. This decision now means that a stop will be positioned half way between the St. Stephen’s Green and Westmoreland Street stops, leaving just 500 metres between stops. This means that access to the National Gallery, Trinity College, the National Library and other tourist attractions will be considerably enhanced. Accessibility for commuters getting around the city centre will also be significantly improved.

“As provision was already made in the contract for a northbound stop, there will be no additional costs or time added to the project on the back of this decision.”

Luas Cross City is set to see what is an already extremely successful piece of transport infrastructure grow even further, with an additional 10 million journeys expected each year when it comes on stream.

I have a feeling usage figures will be much higher than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

I have a feeling usage figures will be much higher than this.

So do I. Don't know if its a sign of an improving economy but the green line these days is mobbed in the peak hours, much more so than say 2-3 years ago.

I wonder when the new line is open whether there'll be the possibility of increasing the frequency in those hours, seeing as the trams won't have to be dwelling at the stephen's green stop?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

grimbergen wrote: »
    So do I. Don't know if its a sign of an improving economy but the green line these days is mobbed in the peak hours, much more so than say 2-3 years ago.

Indeed. Including the extension to Cherrywood which I recall was slated here for being "developer led" and going through "empty countryside"!

Now they'd need those Japanese passenger-pushers to get the people into the trams by the time they reach Glencairn between 7.30 and 9am.

Just thinking about how packed the luas gets already: shouldn't there be a turnback facility on the green line somewhere in the south city centre to compliment the loop on the north city to facilitate higher frequencies between North and South City centre? Similar to Heuston-Connolly services on the red line.

• Advertisement

I think northbound trams can turn right at the top of O'Connell St and head back south again; so the could have a Sandyford - Parnell Sq route for the most packed section.

And a less frequent Broombridge to Brides Glen? (Don't know how busy they expect Broombridge to Parnell to be)

The plan is to operate from Brides Glen to Parnell and Sandyford to Broombridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I don't see why the turn back at Stephen's green would be removed in case of disruption, say a protest on college green.

lxflyer wrote: »
    The plan is to operate from Brides Glen to Parnell and Sandyford to Broombridge.

That means those Northsiders will have to change to get to my nearest stop (Ballyogan)! Some good news ;)

Regarding the turn back at Stephens Green - surely the'll just leave it in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

cgcsb wrote: »
    I don't see why the turn back at Stephen's green would be removed in case of disruption, say a protest on college green.

Are they really removing it, seems completely pointless.

That means those Northsiders will have to change to get to my nearest stop (Ballyogan)! Some good news ;)

Regarding the turn back at Stephens Green - surely the'll just leave it in place?

I never said anything about the turnback at St Stephen's Green, but rather posted what the intended operating pattern was.

There will be a turnback siding on St Stephen's Green North for trams coming from Brides Glen/Sandyford for use when required.

It will not be accessible to/from Dawson Street.

I was replying to the csgb post regarding the turn-back. Trying to economise on the use of posts...sorry for any confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭stop

cgcsb wrote: »

Last I looked at the plans, there was a turn back (siding?) marked in on Stephen's Green North, adjacent to where the Christmas market is.
    It is seperate to the main lines, and can hold a tram without blocking the points.

stop wrote: »
    Last I looked at the plans, there was a turn back (siding?) marked in on Stephen's Green North, adjacent to where the Christmas market is.
    It is seperate to the main lines, and can hold a tram without blocking the points.

As I posted 2 posts previous to yours!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I think what people are suggesting (and I might have picked it up wrong) is that there should be a turnback to allow, say, Broombridge<>Dominick services in cases where the city centre is at a standstill. The same way that the Red line often ends up terminating at Smithfield when there is a problem in town.

• Advertisement

There is a crossover planned directly north of Dominick stop which would allow trams turn around there and head back to Broombridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭matc66

The Maxol petrol station at Broadstone seems to be closed with metal barricades around it. Does anyone know whether there is a move agreed or is it a CPO?

Edit, found this:
    https://www.maxol.ie/m-blog/entry/closure-of-broadstone-maxol-service-station-at-constitution-hill

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭stop

lxflyer wrote: »
    As I posted 2 posts previous to yours!

Sorry, didn't see that, I blame BE's stupid banner ad that stretched the mobile site all over the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭markpb

matc66 wrote: »
    The Maxol petrol station at Broadstone seems to be closed with metal barricades around it. Does anyone know whether there is a move agreed or is it a CPO?

Edit, found this:
    https://www.maxol.ie/m-blog/entry/closure-of-broadstone-maxol-service-station-at-constitution-hill

Excellent news! I wonder what the compromise was or did DCC/NTA wave their CPO hammer?

For anyone looking for the detailed alignment plans of the proposed route, which include the location of crossovers, they are all collated here:

https://1f19be030965d7aa9cd5-0ea8ebfb2bc7a6161d6ab1bbbbe2306e.ssl.cf3.rackcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/LCC-Route-Pack-1.pdf

Note that the northbound stop on Dawson Street is omitted but will now be included.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I feel conflicted. One one hand it is great news that progress has been made for the Luas to go through the Maxol garage. On the other the petrol station that I filled up at for the last 10 years is suddenly no more. Plus it had some of the cheapest petrol around for miles.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It does leave the city centre with even fewer filling stations than before - the Quays and Amiens Street are really the only others in the centre and then you've a few others scattered around the fringe - Baggot Street, Mount Brown, East Wall, Pearse Street, Irishtown, the diesel-only on Northumberland Road etc. Most of those have closed and re-opened in the past few years too

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I feel conflicted. One one hand it is great news that progress has been made for the Luas to go through the Maxol garage. On the other the petrol station that I filled up at for the last 10 years is suddenly no more. Plus it had some of the cheapest petrol around for miles.

Luckily, you will be gifted with the alternative of having a Luas on your doorstep

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Luckily, you will be gifted with the alternative of having a Luas on your doorstep
    Assuming the poster actually lives near Broadstone and doesn't pass it regularly or commutes nearby...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I see there is no left turn from Dawson onto grafton for a period of 6 months, from the 18th. I assume with a closure this long they will actually lay the track and not just divert the utilities?

Does anyone know how the utility works are progressing? Will we see track being laid during Q2 along the route?

Advertisement