Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Glad I stayed up to read that, really enjoyed it and well done, thoroughly deserved it. Now if only I can take a leaf from your book and stop being a lazy bast*** :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Where do you get the f*cking temerity to disagree with me??!

Great read. You will do some serious damage if you add low 32 min 10k speed to the aerobic capacity. It's a similar plan to me although you will do it quicker. We may have to race in April when I am home.

On a side note, is there anyone around here who has not been influenced by Krustys log?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

Dave,

Very well done on Monday. It was a super time.

The marathon is a tough beast and one that can kick you in the backside at any stage.

Enjoy the rest and I look forward to u handing me my ass on a plate (for a change) in 2013 :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

A great report on a great run TRR. Brutally honest and very entertaining. Roll on 2:2X!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

TRR wrote: »
    Secondly I seen a lad from Donore floating at 12 miles and literally going down like a tonne of bricks 200 metres later, his calf just popped for no reason.

Was that Ken? I saw him at the start but he didnt clock a finishing time so I assumed something happened to him.

also hope to do the national 10k on track but will only contemplate this torture if we have a club team. I may do the Dublin marathon next year but I have my eyes firmly set on Rotterdam or London 2014 for a sub 2.30 attempt. It’s only 5.43 pace per mile and if you can run one mile at that pace ………………… bring it.

I'll be doing the track 10k for sure and I reckon I'll be able to talk Tomo into aswell. I think Tom is having a crack at dublin next year aswell so we'd have a pretty good team.
    As for sub 2:30 in 2014, definitely you can do it. The only thing that could scupper you would be non running related factors. I think you can run 2:30s on 70+ miles per week but from what I've seen it takes regular 100+ mile weeks to hit the 2:20s. Do you reckon you could swing that mileage or do you think you cold do it on less?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Where do you get the f*cking temerity to disagree with me??!

Maybe the confidence of being 12 minutes quicker than you ;) And I just know that one will come back to bite me in the ass.

Great read. You will do some serious damage if you add low 32 min 10k speed to the aerobic capacity. It's a similar plan to me although you will do it quicker. We may have to race in April when I am home.
    I'm up for the challenge of a race. The Great Ireland run is on the 14th of April, it doubles as national 10k road champs, are you home around those dates? If not there are a couple of other 10ks on in April including a BHAA one in the K club which is lightening quick.
    Pronator wrote: »
    Dave,

Enjoy the rest and I look forward to u handing me my ass on a plate (for a change) in 2013 :-)

Thanks, this is the daily sort of abuse I have to shift :) But in fairness when you see some of my smart arse comments above it is what I deserve :)
    tunguska wrote: »
    Was that Ken? I saw him at the start but he didnt clock a finishing time so I assumed something happened to him.
    Yes it was. Was like a sniper took him out, was actually around the 10 mile mark I think, not 12 as I originally wrote.
    tunguska wrote: »

I'll be doing the track 10k for sure and I reckon I'll be able to talk Tomo into aswell. I think Tom is having a crack at dublin next year aswell so we'd have a pretty good team.
    As for sub 2:30 in 2014, definitely you can do it. The only thing that could scupper you would be non running related factors. I think you can run 2:30s on 70+ miles per week but from what I've seen it takes regular 100+ mile weeks to hit the 2:20s. Do you reckon you could swing that mileage or do you think you cold do it on less?
    Great stuff regards the track, that would be a decent team. You never know Sean could end up doing it too!

Regards the mileage, the more I clock on a weekly basis the faster I go in a marathon. I use to use the excuse that I wasn't physically able to handle high mileage but that's bull and was me making excuses. I think I could get to low 2.30s on a 80 miles a week program that directly followed a good 10k program, may even sneak under the 2.30 on a fast course on the perfect day but wouldn't like to cut it that fine, so yes I'll have to look at upping the mileage again to 100 miles. Find it tough to fit in 80 as it is and for me to do 100 miles and stay injury free I'd need to do an extra couple of double days. Tough going with a young family and work but should be more feasible in the next 12 months so that's the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Great report Dave.. Inspirational if Im being honest.. Just shows if u ( we )work bloody hard anything is possible...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Very honest enjoyable report TRR. Looking forward to your continued success

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

Road Runner, I haven't time to read your report above but I just wanted to say congrats again.
    When I was chatting to you afterwards in McGrattans the thing that impressed me most was how cold-blooded and heartless you were when it came to taking down Peter.
    In your own words 'I lulled that mother-trucker into a false sense of security with my sit-and-kick approach and then when he least expected I smoked his a55'.*
    Great work, keep being such a ba5tard.

;-)

*This may not have been what was said.

Just a quick update. Legs are fine but haven't ran since Monday. Have a nasty sinus infection so just going to take the rest of the week off. Would like to point out to some moany posters (you know who you are) that I'm just getting on with this infection and not treating it as TB, the plague or Ebola ;) so much for man flu.

Provisional AAI results posted today and we were 4th team nationally. I know myself and Tunguska are a bit disappointed as we had hopes of a team medal but it's still an excellent result. Nearly 30 teams were entered. As a little consolation we were 3rd in Dublin champs so that's something. That's my 2nd senior county team medal of the summer to go along with gold and silver novice medal I won back in May. Delighted with this as I had only 1 senior medal to name before I made the transfer to tallaght. I'm not good enough to win an individual medal but am capable of scoring on a winning team. Pre marathon my aim was finish in the top 50 which I did and top 20 in Irish placings. I placed 20th, 19th if you ignore my chicking by one miss McCambridge :)

Hope to get back running by Monday. Diet is shocking at the moment but I'm enjoying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Fair play to your M50 team - three under 3 hours, very impressive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    Fair play to your M50 team - three under 3 hours, very impressive

I just noticed that CL would have won a National bronze if registered for Sportsworld haha!! The third sportsworld runner was 3:52 so even as a 3:45 pacer she would have had a medal. D'oh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

618px-JeanLucPicardFacepalm.jpg

menoscemo wrote: »
    I just noticed that CL would have won a National bronze if registered for Sportsworld haha!! The third sportsworld runner was 3:52 so even as a 3:45 pacer she would have had a medal. D'oh :D

I think she was trying to stay off the radar and avoid the drug testers. Better to miss out on a medal than get your whole team disqualified :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Excellent race report, a great read.

Agree with needing a bit of luck

I'm up for the challenge of a race. The Great Ireland run is on the 14th of April, it doubles as national 10k road champs, are you home around those dates? If not there are a couple of other 10ks on in April including a BHAA one in the K club which is lightening quick.

I'll be at home for this. I was looking at it as a possibility to get into the home club singlet. Putting myself on a hiding to nothing but may have to have a boards loggers race.

I'll be at home for this. I was looking at it as a possibility to get into the home club singlet. Putting myself on a hiding to nothing but may have to have a boards loggers race.

Oh it's on fatboy ;) some of my best rivalries over the years have been with dsd athletes :) national 10k it is so. I think we need to make this a series though and depending on your travel dates fit in a 5 k either the week before or after. As well as those 2 races a beer mile should also be incorporated. Now we will have to agree on a weighting/scoring scheme but I think the beer mile should be favoured somehow. Regards a venue I realise your club STILL hasn't it's own track so I can look into mine hosting this epic race, but due to health and safety we may have to run laps of the dundrum shopping centre :)

As well as those 2 races a beer mile should also be incorporated. Now we will have to agree on a weighting/scoring scheme but I think the beer mile should be favoured somehow.

You are not allowed to use lite beer. End of debate.
    Regards a venue I realise your club STILL hasn't it's own track so I can look into mine hosting this epic race, but due to health and safety we may have to run laps of the dundrum shopping centre :)

I worked in Tallaght for 3 years so I can deal with the post-apocalyptic dangers the place poses.

You are not allowed to use lite beer. End of debate.

I worked in Tallaght for 3 years so I can deal with the post-apocalyptic dangers the place poses.

Ha ha. You choose the poison so. Regards health and safety ...... Well played.

So you're up for the series? I may make this an invitational series with an ashes type trophy for the winner.

So you're up for the series? I may make this an invitational series with an ashes type trophy for the winner.

Yeah, I'm game for it. 10k, 5k and a 1500 or a Beer mile maybe. I will leave the logistics to you.

Pretty sure I will be back for the first 3 weeks of April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I may make this an invitational series with an ashes type trophy for the winner.

There should be a symbolic cremation of the looser's kicks

Took a week off after the marathon with a sinus infection. Wasn't that bad and could have ran the end of the week but honestly couldn't see the point of pushing myself while in recovery mode. Normally I take a handy month after a decent block of marathon training. Has physical benefits long term but mentally I need a break sometimes also and just like to run when I feel like it and how long like I feel.

Last week I ran every day, 6-7 miles a day with no watch on but my running partners tell me pace varied between 7.15-30 so nothing hectic. Last Saturday I pushed one of the runs and tore the arse out of the second 5k felt good to be moving fast but in reality I may not have been traveling as fast as I thought. I suppose that's why I purposely didn't wear a watch.

This week I missed Tuesday & Wednesday due to work commitments. I could have got out both days but would have been after 9pm and again, I'm supposed to be just ticking along so didn't stress. On Friday I ran my furthest run (8 miles) and threw in 6 * 800 metres at MP. Obviously wore the watch for this one and it didn't feel great. Best way to describe it is felt like I was running in a swimming pool.

I've been drafted into our Dublin intermediate XC team for tomorrow. I really don't want to run :o I haven't done any 10k let alone XC specific training in donkeys, I'm still recovering and I fcuking hate XC. It has its benefits and I will be doing a good block of XC races in the new year but I'm expecting to get blown away tomorrow. Wouldn't run if we didn't have a team but it's on our doorstep so I couldn't and wouldn't say no.

I still need to come up with a 10k plan for the new year. I have a few ideas in my head and the biggest impedement at the moment is structuring my work and home week to fit the main sessions in. It's nothing major but I like to have a routine so I don't mind spending some time getting this structure in place. I showed shels my training plan for DCM last week and he found it quite amusing so I decided to post it here. It took me 4 hours, 1 smart phone, 6+ pints of beer, 5 beer mats (initial versions) and the back of one betting slip (ver. 6) before I perfected it. It doesn't include 4-5 weeks were I just ran easy and built up long run. JD, P&D and Gregg McMillan can all go and ****e ;) As woddle use to say running is easy :)

229087.jpg

Dublin intermediate xc

I normally hate XC but really enjoyed today. Ran with no watch and ran as hard as I could. Aerobiaclly I was fine (until the final sprint finish, i believ some bitch has photo evidence) but just hadn't the pace in the legs. Finished 11th which was a very pleasant surprise. Thought I'd be doing well to make top 20.

Only downside to the day is I stepped into a serious pot hall nearing the end of the 3rd lap of the 4 laps. I honestly thought I had broken something but after a couple of seconds limping I was able to get going again. Foot is like a balloon this evening. Can't walk on it, I know it's a tendon across the top of the foot and I seem to recover quickly from these types of sprains so hopefully a few days off will sort it. On a positive note I can't wait to run some XC in the new year. Really enjoyed actually racing today and while I feel I could have finished much higher up the field had I not got a marathon in my legs, I also realised that I run best when not concentrating on splits etc. I said it a while back and I'll say it again the gamin can go and ****e, I'll use it for training but from now on, no gamin in races, eyeballs out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done on finishing just outside the top 10 yesterday. You're jogging is really coming on in leaps and bounds :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Dublin intermediate xc

I normally hate XC but really enjoyed today. Ran with no watch and ran as hard as I could. Aerobiaclly I was fine (until the final sprint finish, i believ some bitch has photo evidence) but just hadn't the pace in the legs. Finished 11th which was a very pleasant surprise. Thought I'd be doing well to make top 20.

Only downside to the day is I stepped into a serious pot hall nearing the end of the 3rd lap of the 4 laps. I honestly thought I had broken something but after a couple of seconds limping I was able to get going again. Foot is like a balloon this evening. Can't walk on it, I know it's a tendon across the top of the foot and I seem to recover quickly from these types of sprains so hopefully a few days off will sort it. On a positive note I can't wait to run some XC in the new year. Really enjoyed actually racing today and while I feel I could have finished much higher up the field had I not got a marathon in my legs, I also realised that I run best when not concentrating on splits etc. I said it a while back and I'll say it again the gamin can go and ****e, I'll use it for training but from now on, no gamin in races, eyeballs out.

You seem to have 'forgotten' the most important cross-dressing element of the race?!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

claralara wrote: »
    Well done on finishing just outside the top 10 yesterday. You're jogging is really coming on in leaps and bounds :)

Nasty....:)
    You seem to have 'forgotten' the most important cross-dressing element of the race?!! ;)

That was either a birds singlet or we'll have to give him a lend of that Racing Weight book ;)

yeah yeah whatever. I'm all about percentile finishes now. No use coming in the top 10 if there is only 11 in the race ;) I was in a heap about 5 seconds away from an asthma attack and my foot was on fire, I stand up from that little rest and there's you and Jimmy Saville taking photos of me, I thought I was delirious at first but obviously not.
    digger2d2 wrote: »
    That was either a birds singlet or we'll have to give him a lend of that Racing Weight book ;)

Ha ha yes, being the thicko I am I collected my number and did a warm up with my backpack on, I forgot to zip the backpack up and managed to lose my singlet on the course, had to get a nice comfortable fitting singlet from one of the ladies, snug fit all right :) Found the singlet on my hobble back to the car.

@CL see pic of foot injury this morning, this is what a foot injury looks like. I had to crop my toes out of the picture as my toenails are an advertisement for antifungal creams :o

229227.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Careful there digdig has a foot fetish.

Careful there digdig has a foot fetish.
    Don't worry I already checked with him before posting, he's not into hairy feet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

I had to crop my toes out of the picture as my toenails are an advertisement for antifungal creams :
    for ur pleasure,,,,,a[poligies if any gets sick...

Advertisement