Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

18 Days to DCM

Thursday: 6 recovery miles with my madra. This was a late one and I had zero interest. Wanted to shake the legs out though so managed to get my fat arse out the door.

14 Days to DCM

Friday: Rest. Very busy day and could have squeezed a run in but would have been counter productive.

Saturday: 10km race in Donadea. Finished in 33.49. Happy with the time and effort on that course, I was hoping for 34 minutes +/- 10 seconds. I set that target based on how a couple of friends have ran on the course in the past and then subsequently how they went in Dublin. It sets me up nicely for Dublin but while I ran well I raced like an absolute cock. Fcuking garmin watching instead of concentrating on trying to beat the guys I was running with. The guy who finished just ahead of me caught me day dreaming and opened a gap I couldn't close. Then because I was more worried about blowing a gasket (garmin watching again and paying more attention to pace than how I felt) I failed to close the gap. I'm not saying I would have beaten him but I should have made him work a bit harder. After Dublin the garmin can go and $hite. I'll use it in training but races will be garmin free. The majority of my PBs bar full and half marathon were achieved sans garmin. There's a lesson there.

Sunday: 10 poxy km in the worst poxy weather of the day. No matter how crap I normally feel I usually enjoy a run to some extent. This run was joyless. Not a happy camper.

Monday: 10 not so poxy kms. Nice easy run with company. Legs feel tired. Still pissed off about Saturday. Time to taper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

TRR wrote: »
    . The guy who finished just ahead of me was wearing Gaa shorts.

well done,let him have his day.....

ultraman1 wrote: »
    well done,let him have his day.....

Talk about trying to kick a man when he is down :) In fairness I know him and I can confirm although he had GAA shorts on he is a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Saturday: 10km race in Donadea. Finished in 33.49.

Thats a good run at this stage man. I'd be pretty certain you'll hit 2:35. I know you're planning 77 or 78 first half but I reckon you should even go as far as 79 first half. Thats what heff did 2 years ago and he nailed it.
    I may be alongside you for the first half anyway. I injured my achilles in rathfarnham 5k and it was a little more serious than I originally thought. 2 20mile races didnt help. Its getting better a little every day but I'll be honest and say that Im struggling to even make the startline, have only been able to run/hobble every second day. If I dont run it'll be you, paddy and trevor which is a good team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

tunguska wrote: »
    I may be alongside you for the first half anyway. I injured my achilles in rathfarnham 5k and it was a little more serious than I originally thought. 2 20mile races didnt help. Its getting better a little every day but I'll be honest and say that Im struggling to even make the startline, have only been able to run/hobble every second day. If I dont run it'll be you, paddy and trevor which is a good team.

Jas*s Eoin - surely not two years in a row??:mad:

Thats a good run at this stage man. I'd be pretty certain you'll hit 2:35. I know you're planning 77 or 78 first half but I reckon you should even go as far as 79 first half. Thats what heff did 2 years ago and he nailed it.

Pace isn't set in stone. Realistically will be determined by how I feel on the day. I have 78 in my head but a minute either side of that is conceivable.

Ah I'm sure you'll be grand. You seem to have had a few niggles during the summer but managed to race and run well. A little bit of tlc should see you right. Don't think I know Trevor. What is he aiming for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Ah I'm sure you'll be grand. You seem to have had a few niggles during the summer but managed to race and run well. A little bit of tlc should see you right. Don't think I know Trevor. What is he aiming for?

Trevor is Sean's brother. I think hes going for 2:44/43 or thereabouts. Hes as strong as a horse so I'd bet the bank he'll nail it.
    Went for a run today and it wasn't pretty. Have decided the best course of action is to not run between now and marathon then just turn up and roll the dice.

Trevor is Sean's brother. I think hes going for 2:44/43 or thereabouts. Hes as strong as a horse so I'd bet the bank he'll nail it.
    Went for a run today and it wasn't pretty. Have decided the best course of action is to not run between now and marathon then just turn up and roll the dice.

cool at least we have backup for the team. Best of luck, you won't lose much by taking it handy now anyway. I know that's easier said than done but just have confidence in the work you've put in and hope the leg plays ball.

12 Days to DCM

Tuesday: Easy 6 miles @ 7.15ish pace. Nice handy run on grass and canal. Legs feeling good as in no niggles etc but they are tired. I suppose they should feel tired at the start of a taper :)

Wednesday: 10k in ~40 minutes with 4 miles @ MP. Had to drop car off at mechanic so combined run and commute. Initial plan was for a run of 6 miles @ MP but the legs were working a little more than I would have liked so left the MP session at 4 miles. Little things let this would have knocked my confidence in the past but I've been here before and realise making the start line 100% is more important than a couple of missed MP miles here or there. I didn't rest enough for London (as I was trying to play catch up on missed training) and it made things much harder much earlier than they should have been. Run was actually a bit of a disaster, I made a savage (healthy) home made sweet and sour last night and while it was incredibly tasty I think it was a bit too spicy/complex for an early morning run. I won't go into the gory details but it wasn't pleasant. Reinforces the point that I need to keep dinner very simple the night before DCM :) Also had a crazy marathon related nightmare last night, first one I can ever really remember. In the nightmare I started off by running in the wrong direction, I then realised I was still in my tracksuit sweating my ass off and to compound matters I had no gels. I suppose if that is all I have to worry about late at night things are going well.

As I said legs are a little tired but have made an appointment to see the magician so he should help sort them out. I'll also take a couple of warm baths (for clarity baths will not be taken with the magician :D) coupled with the foam roller will help get rid of the knots.

Weight is at an all time low, feeling fit, no niggles and I'm pretty confident in my race tactics. I'm really starting to look forward to marathon Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Weight at an all-time low? Holy sh!t, you must have been a fat little ba$tard when you were born!!!

Weight at an all-time low? Holy sh!t, you must have been a fat little ba$tard when you were born!!!

Ha ok, marathon racing weight at an all time low :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

As I said legs are a little tired but have made an appointment to see the magician so he should help sort them out. I'll also take a couple of warm baths (for clarity baths will not be taken with the magician :D) .

Glad you clarified that, you don't want your bath to resemble a bowl of porridge ;)

8 Days to DCM

Thursday: 8 easy miles on canal and trail. Legs starting to lose feelings of tiredness although they are still feel a little heavy. Can feel the odd niggle here and there but nothing serious. If I'm honest I think that 10km last Saturday took a bit out of me. Very nice race but because of the terrain and surface I won't be rushing back if I was to run Dublin again. It definitely had a negative effect on my legs.

Friday: Rest. Headed away with my wife for the weekend. We were away on our own and I was determined my running wasn't going to interfere with the weekend. I had a few pints and ate some rubbish food. Less than ideal preparation and definitely did me no favours, however in the grand scheme of things the weekend shouldn't have done me much harm (hopefully).

Saturday: 8 miles easy in unknown territories. Not really enjoyable as I have the worst sense of direction in the Republic of Ireland and got lost on more than one occasion. Luckily I ended up outside my hotel at 7.7 miles so I just tagged a bit on, to round the run off to a nice even 8 miles.

Sunday: Initial plan was to run a local 5k @ HMP and then do 2 at MP after it but I was stuck for time and didn't make it. Ended up heading out late this evening instead so I modified the run slightly. Did 9 miles in total with 2@MP, 3 min/rec, 2@HMP, 3 min recovery, 2@10 mile pace. Felt ok. last rep at 10 mile pace was a little tough but I'll blame the weekends delights on that ;)

Just over a week to go. Have to do a 10-12 miler tomorrow then will really shut things down distance wise. Have a 5k session @ HMP on Wednesday and will probably do a few km reps @ MP on Friday. As I mentioned above I'm feeling a few minor niggles. I've had most of these years and are old injuries etc. I have a theory that when one starts to taper the body gets more time to repair particular muscle groups, reduced exercise probably results in reduced natural antiflamatories and natural pain killers also so small niggles feel worse than they do when you are in a block of training. I've nothing to back this theory up but it lets me put a positive spin on it and helps me stay sane during the taper :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I'd go for that theory. I have a fear of taking a day off, in case all of the niggles get a chance to 'sneak-up' on me and make themselves known. I keep them at bay by running. :) Last rest day was 27th June. Next rest day is Tuesday 30th October. Bring it on..

I'd go for that theory. I have a fear of taking a day off, in case all of the niggles get a chance to 'sneak-up' on me and make themselves known. I keep them at bay by running. :) Last rest day was 27th June. Next rest day is Tuesday 30th October. Bring it on..

Ha ha, there is a lot of truth in that. I usually feel worse after a rest day myself.

7 Days to DCM

Monday: 12 miles @ 6.44 pace. Had to get out early for this. Not ideal as last nights run was late. However putting it off would have meant another late run tonight and I couldn't face it if I'm honest. Perfect morning for running. Reminds me of DCM conditions in 2010, I remember standing at the 14 mile mark and being cold even with my winter coat on. That's what you want, cold enough so that you have to work to stay warm. Better than last year when it was muggy and humid. If we get a day like today next week there will be no excuses for not nailing a good run. I honestly think the difference in conditions between 2010 and 2011 are worth 2 minutes minimum.

This time next week I hope to be finished doing cartwheels, tumbles, gun slinging and maybe even the robot around Merrion square ;)

This time next week I hope to be finished doing cartwheels, tumbles, gun slinging and maybe even the robot around Merrion square ;)

this will do...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMFkrD2XyCk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Don't ever forget to do the famous windmill ;):D

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Don't ever forget to do the famous windmill ;):D

That was like soooooooooooooo last year :)

AnnieBi wrote: »
    Someone answer me here please! <spam link removed>[/URL]
    Thank you! :)

Obviously some random bot posting but made me smile. Thought somebody was putting a fancy dress request :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I can see how the finish pans out now.
    TRR runs by the Luas train driver, gives him a wave. He takes a detour through Moore St and gets an apple off an aul wan. All the kids start chasing after him trying to knick his runners. He hurdles some park benches leading up to the finish line. Runs through the finish line punching the air and runs up the steps of the Mont Clare hotel and does a little shuffle.
    TRR our very own Rocky, same running style as well:) I will get my best of lucks in now, smash it.

I can see how the finish pans out now. TRR runs by the Luas train driver, gives him a wave. Luas driver gives him the finger and tells him to get his fat arse off the f-ing track

He takes a detour through Moore St and gets an apple off an aul wan. Turns out aul one is actually a junkie and the apple was her meal for the day, TRR has to sprint to avoid a blood filled syringe.

All the kids start chasing after him trying to knick his runners. They quickly realise there have been paedophile rumors about the enigma that is TRR and quickly turn around and run in the opposite direction. They are distressed when 2 miles later TRR is still in pursuit.

He hurdles some park benches leading up to the finish line. TRR has the coordination of a giraffe on skis and snots himself to the amusement of the crowd

Runs through the finish line punching the air and runs up the steps of the Mont Clare hotel and does a little shuffle.

TRR our very own Rocky, same running style as well:) In fairness to rocky his running style may not be as effective as TRR's but it is definitely more pleasing on the eye

I will get my best of lucks in now, smash it. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Decided what the post race beer is yet?

It must be a tough call. Maybe get some Americans to help decide between Bud Lite and Coors Lite.

Decided what the post race beer is yet?

It must be a tough call. Maybe get some Americans to help decide between Bud Lite and Coors Lite.

Ah the champagnes of light beers. Haven't concentrated on the celebrations yet. Will probably make the beer call by mile 25, if all goes well and I run well maybe a Bud lite :) If things go badly I could be quite literally end up drinking warm dogs piss. Only liquid that tastes worse than bud (allegedly)

Tuesday: 30 minutes handy along canal with company. Myself and friend are going to head off together next Monday, we have plans A,B,C,D,E,F .....Z in place. Eh legs if you want to start feeling a little fresher that would be ok with me :) Massage tomorrow so that should help the recovery process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Eh legs if you want to start feeling a little fresher that would be ok with me :) Massage tomorrow so that should help the recovery process.

Thought your legs were meant to feel a bit dead during taper- all those gloopy carbs attaching to your muscles? Or is your tiredness down to something different?

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Thought your legs were meant to feel a bit dead during taper- all those gloopy carbs attaching to your muscles? Or is your tiredness down to something different?

Ah it's nothing major. Just getting over the trauma of the last few weeks of training I guess. Now nothing compared to your extensive programme obviously :)

Anyway, Sunday's evening run and yesterdays run weren't exactly taper like. Should feel good by Friday. I'm doing some extra work with the foam roller and grid also so muscles are taking a bit if a pummeling.

5 Days to DCM

Wednesday: 6ish miles with 3 @ MP. We decided to keep these at MP instead of HMP which suited me fine, felt really really really comfortable was chatting throughout and felt like there were a couple of gear changes there if needed. Happy that legs are responding especially after Sunday and Monday's session. A few more easy days and we'll be all set. Sports massage tonight should further accelerate feelings of well being.

ultraman1 wrote: »

:) I tried to high 5 you a second later but I was fooked.

• Advertisement

Eh legs if you want to start feeling a little fresher that would be ok with me :) Massage tomorrow so that should help the recovery process.

Hello legs, great to see you are feeling good :D

3 Days to DCM

Thursday: rest day. Had sports massage on the Wednesday evening and decided to do little or nothing the following day. Guilt free rest day, got to love the taper :) Sports massage was class, had some stiffness in the quads for the last month and one stretch he did in particular hit the spot, actually though my right quad was going to pop at one stage.

Friday: 6.5 miles with 4 * 1k at MP. I was very bold and couldn't keep a lid on the legs. Would have hit MP pace if I was a 2.20 marathon runner. So reps were too fast but they felt good and it was good to blow out the lungs.

May take tomorrow off completely or do a handy 30 minutes depending on how the day pans out. Legs are A1 Sharon. Only minor niggle is my old friend Mr tight hamstring. An old injury that is always in the background but should be fine. APart from that all is going to plan

Advertisement