Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pairc Ui Chaoimh re-development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if in 10/15/20 years time they extended the new stand around the back of one of the goals replacing one of the terraces or built a new stand opposite it. This plan looks like a phase 1 in a very long term plan. I'm sure it will be designed with this in mind.

Hopefully, it's a lot of money for (mostly) just one stand.

Are the non-covered stands going to be changed? Weren't there problems with the legroom with the existing seats? It could be awkward changing that if they're not rebuilding the non-covered stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

who_me wrote: »
    Hopefully, it's a lot of money for (mostly) just one stand.

Are the non-covered stands going to be changed? Weren't there problems with the legroom with the existing seats? It could be awkward changing that if they're not rebuilding the non-covered stands.

As far as I can tell, there will be a brand new main stand, with the roof of the current main stand transferred over to the other side. The two terraces then will get a revamp. So all in all it will end up being a slightly newer looking Thurles stadium, which for the money being spent is a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Am I correct in saying that the Marina is going to be developed as part of this plan?

It's a lovely part of Cork if it were tidied up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

Yeah the marina park is being redeveloped, I say work should start this summer when Fitzgeralds park reopens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

calnand wrote: »
    Yeah the marina park is being redeveloped, I say work should start this summer when Fitzgeralds park reopens.

Very exciting times if you're a resident of the area. The Marina is a lovely spot and the employment this will bring is very welcome.

If the 2 terraces are brought up to hill 16 standard then that won't be a bad thing. I can see the stand going around 3 sides similar to croker in 20-30 years and then leaving 1 side a terrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

D'Agger wrote: »
    Am I correct in saying that the Marina is going to be developed as part of this plan?

It's a lovely part of Cork if it were tidied up a bit.

No the City give land to the GAA for half nothing after buying it to build a public park.
    This stadium will be a waste of money. How many games attract over 20k in a year? Cork tipp in hurling is the only one that a crowd of over 30k is nailed on.

If public money is paying for it then it should be publicly owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Dob74 wrote: »
    No the City give land to the GAA for half nothing after buying it to build a public park.
    This stadium will be a waste of money. How many games attract over 20k in a year? Cork tipp in hurling is the only one that a crowd of over 30k is nailed on.

I'm assuming here which is always dangerous, but you'd imagine the stadium would be used to host gigs.

Rather than the Marquee you'd see gigs in the Park - for the money being put into the project, you'd imagine it has to be something they're looking at to generate revenue. Otherwise it will ultimately be a waste of funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

D'Agger wrote: »
    I'm assuming here which is always dangerous, but you'd imagine the stadium would be used to host gigs.

Rather than the Marquee you'd see gigs in the Park - for the money being put into the project, you'd imagine it has to be something they're looking at to generate revenue. Otherwise it will ultimately be a waste of funds.

No,the new event centre/Arena will replace the Marquee,same capacity at 6,000 although PUC should definetly be used to host 1 or 2 concerts every summer like in the past with Oasis,U2 etc.

Just look at all the millions they lost out on between Oasis in 1996 and Springsteen in 2013.Does anyone know why there was nothing for 17 years?.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

The stadium is an absolute state at the moment. Delighted to see it being redeveloped.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

There will hopefully never be another concert here again after the debacle that was springsteen last year. It was very close to a disaster and it took days afterwards for them to bother cleaning up. Im speaking as a resident and a concert goer. I was really looking forward to it, love events in the area like the marquee etc but it was a disaster.
    Besides that the council have planning permission notice up now which seemed to say they are turning the show grounds into a park. This is where the all weather pitch is supposed to go i think. Has anything changed.

• Advertisement

No,the new event centre/Arena will replace the Marquee,same capacity at 6,000 although PUC should definetly be used to host 1 or 2 concerts every summer like in the past with Oasis,U2 etc.

Just look at all the millions they lost out on between Oasis in 1996 and Springsteen in 2013.Does anyone know why there was nothing for 17 years?.

They probably will get a lot more when the two terraces are redone and the new side stand built. It will become a very attractive venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

bleary wrote: »
    Besides that the council have planning permission notice up now which seemed to say they are turning the show grounds into a park. This is where the all weather pitch is supposed to go i think. Has anything changed.

Some of the land CPO'd by the council is being used for the Marina Park (as originally intended), some for the PUC redevelopment & extra pitches, so it's probably not 100% wrong. But it probably suits them not to correct it - no one would ever likely object to parkland in their area.

What's it like down on the ground it cork? Are the general public against it or is it just the usual anti gaa parade?

Someone made the point that Dublin city has had about 500million invested in it's stadiums from the govt so why doesn't cork, capital of the south deserve 30 million? Fair poit IMO and a lot of the money will make it's way back to the govt through vat anyway.

Add to this they want the rugby world cup and it's not as bad as some want you to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    What's it like down on the ground it cork? Are the general public against it or is it just the usual anti gaa parade?

Someone made the point that Dublin city has had about 500million invested in it's stadiums from the govt so why doesn't cork, capital of the south deserve 30 million? Fair poit IMO and a lot of the money will make it's way back to the govt through vat anyway.

Add to this they want the rugby world cup and it's not as bad as some want you to think.

For a stadium that will have anywhere near a capacity crowd only once or twice a year it's a huge amount of money to spend. Having said that, PuC is in a disgraceful and dangerous condition and it badly needs to be upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭rebs23

namloc1980 wrote: »
    For a stadium that will have anywhere near a capacity crowd only once or twice a year it's a huge amount of money to spend. Having said that, PuC is in a disgraceful and dangerous condition and it badly needs to be upgraded.

An upgraded PUC will attract a lot more big matches if it is upgraded. Cork fans are always travelling.
    As a local, I am delighted this derelict area is being redeveloped. Considering the huge sums invested by the GAA and the Government elsewhere, good to see Cork gets a small slice of the cake.
    Looking forward to Munster finals , hurling and football, AI series matches, Rugby World Cups, the big stadium size concerts all on my doorstep.
    There has always been a stadium with a min capacity of 45,000 and it will attract the numbers over its lifetime to justify the money. The economic yield for Cork is huge. We cannot be the only City in Ireland without a modern stadium capable of holding major events.

rebs23 wrote: »
    An upgraded PUC will attract a lot more big matches if it is upgraded. Cork fans are always travelling.
    As a local, I am delighted this derelict area is being redeveloped. Considering the huge sums invested by the GAA and the Government elsewhere, good to see Cork gets a small slice of the cake.
    Looking forward to Munster finals , hurling and football, AI series matches, Rugby World Cups, the big stadium size concerts all on my doorstep.
    There has always been a stadium with a min capacity of 45,000 and it will attract the numbers over its lifetime to justify the money. The economic yield for Cork is huge. We cannot be the only City in Ireland without a modern stadium capable of holding major events.

People dont go to matches anymore. Capacity of 45000 is way to big. The Munster football final only had 12000 at it a few years ago. Cork v Kerry only gets 25000.
    I am sick of public funds being doled out to the GAA. If its being paid for by the taxpayer it should be owned by the taxpayer. Especially if rugby games are being played there. What about soccer matches?
    Will definately not be voting for are politician who supports this crap.

The stadium is an absolute state at the moment. Delighted to see it being redeveloped.

The stadium is a state because its not used.
    Pay for it out of your own money if you feel its needs to be redeveloped.
    Leave the taxpayer out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

The stadium is a state because its not used.

This isn't true though is it.

The stadium is in the state it is because it was built in the 1970s to a very poor standard. The stadium is going ahead as part of the big for the 2023 Rugby World Cup and this is part of the reason why it is getting €30m of public funding.

a46k9j.png

Close up render of the redevelopment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

People dont go to matches anymore. Capacity of 45000 is way to big. The Munster football final only had 12000 at it a few years ago. Cork v Kerry only gets 25000.
    I am sick of public funds being doled out to the GAA. If its being paid for by the taxpayer it should be owned by the taxpayer. Especially if rugby games are being played there. What about soccer matches?
    Will definately not be voting for are politician who supports this crap.

Is it possible to find a voting record summary of local councillors?

Interesting interview with Cllr Dan Boyle and a GAA County Board rep. on Newstalk Lunchtime during the week. DBoyle was objecting to the €30m grant of public money to one of the wealthiest (sporting) org's in the country (that's my description). Also his objection to the Council breaking its promise to use the showgrounds land for a public park.

Minister Coveney states in The Examiner how it will be a stimulus to the local economy. Here's an idea for a more effective long-term investment stimulus - spend it on fixing the water supply network.

Interesting to read how poorly attended attended matches. Yet they produce such traffic chaos. It always strikes me how few coaches and buses are in attendance.
    Here's an idea used in other cities: Every match ticket must include a voucher for public transport or Park and Ride service.

• Advertisement

Also his objection to the Council breaking its promise to use the showgrounds land for a public park.

80% of the show grounds land is still being used for the public park.

How many public parks does Cork need. Its getting an enormous one on the site of the Kinsale Road dump too. Is a rectangle of land the size of a GAA pitch really going to detract from Marina Park that badly ?

rebs23 wrote: »

It won't attract a lot more big games. Cork, Tipp, Limerick and Kerry all have home and away agreements which won't have any impact. Thurles will continue to get it's fair share of other games. AI series qualifiers are in a home and away arrangement. QFs and beyond in football are locked into Croker for commercial reasons. An upgraded PuC might get an extra game every year or two but that'll be about it. For most counties beyond Munster it's not convenient to get to. The GAA won't play many games in Cork if they feel fans won't travel.

PuC is also very poorly served by local transport options. It's a nightmare to get to and out of on a big match day. None of that has been addressed in the redevelopment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

80% of the show grounds land is still being used for the public park.

How many public parks does Cork need. Its getting an enormous one on the site of the Kinsale Road dump too. Is a rectangle of land the size of a GAA pitch really going to detract from Marina Park that badly ?

A lot more than it has. Cork has a serious lack of public parks compared to Dublin or any other city I've lived in.

I would rather see a proper municipal stadium instead of these smaller crappy stadia that Cork currently has.

Small and medium cities can really make stuff like that work.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    A lot more than it has. Cork has a serious lack of public parks compared to Dublin or any other city I've lived in.

I would rather see a proper municipal stadium instead of these smaller crappy stadia that Cork currently has.

Small and medium cities can really make stuff like that work.

Cork won't get a municipal stadium. None of the sporting orgs in Cork would cooperate in such a venture. Probably no need for it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Interesting interview with Cllr Dan Boyle and a GAA County Board rep. on Newstalk Lunchtime during the week. DBoyle was objecting to the €30m grant of public money to one of the wealthiest (sporting) org's in the country (that's my description). Also his objection to the Council breaking its promise to use the showgrounds land for a public park.

To be fair to Cllr Boyle, he has made some very good points. The GAA will charge other groups to use the stadium, yet it is going to be receiving a large amount of public funding. The GAA have neglected the stadium in recent years waiting for the tax payer to cough up.

The money would have been better spent in developing the marina area and as Cllr Boyle stated developing the showgrounds land into a public park.

It's a shame to see the money being thrown at the GAA when it could have been better used on other public facilities in Cork. The very least the government should have done is attached conditions to the grant, such as the stadium must be available to other organisations for 20 Saturdays of the year and the only charge being staff costs. Or even one free championship match a year, where tickets are available to the general public and not made available through the club system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Cork won't get a municipal stadium. None of the sporting orgs in Cork would cooperate in such a venture. Probably no need for it either.

They should just cut all state funding to all of them until they cooporate though and fund the city council rather than sporting organisations.

They should just cut all state funding to all of them until they cooporate though and fund the city council rather than sporting organisations.

Yep, if you avail of public funding you will comply with the requests of the taxpayer.

That will never happen. Anyway not sure how much state funding rugby or soccer actually get in Cork. Not much I'd say. I doubt you could design a stadium to meet everyone's needs. Do you put a running track for athletics too? What capacity? Where would it be built?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

When's it supposed to be completed? :confused: I haven't heard a thing about this in months!

• Advertisement

That will never happen.

I some times think the reason it will never happen is because of the protectionist policies of the GAA and not because it couldn't happen.

Advertisement