Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pairc Ui Chaoimh re-development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭superhooper

So are the showgrounds all going to the GAA to develop Frank Murphy Park or is it just a portion?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

There is a Pubic Meeting about this development on Tuesday next. It will take place in Cork Con Clubhouse at 7:30PM

All are welcome.

Apologies for bumping up an old thread but here is artistic impression of the proposed Pairc Ui Chaoimh redevelopment.

Have to say it looks absolutely terrific and its long overdue

http://www.joe.ie/gaa/gaa-news/pics-the-new-look-pairc-ui-chaoimh-should-be-pretty-slick/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Frank's White elephant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Can anyone tell me why there was no big concert there since Oasis in 1996.

Bruce Springsteen in 2013 makes a lot of sense when the place is ready to fall down.:(

Look at all the money they lost out on for 17 years.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭becost

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Is it a good time to admit I've never set foot in Pairc Uí Chaoimh:o

cantdecide wrote: »
    Is it a good time to admit I've never set foot in Pairc Uí Chaoimh:o

Just as well. The cramped seats in addition to the building site you have to walk through might have turned you off GAA. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Normally the artists impressions look good, even if the reality will be something different.... those images look like something that might have been designed 25 years ago!

I assume all sports will be played at this new stadium?

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Frank's White elephant

If Cork are to to get more of the big games in the long term though they just cant go on the way things are. Other counties are getting fed up with PUC in its present state. The concourses are far to narrow and the bowl itself is a disaster. Only a child, a midget or a dwarf could enjoy a game in any form of comfort. As for the site around well its a sorry looking eyesore. Additionally, people having to access a stadium via the first aid area where ambulances need access, its an absurd situation

The location is sort of odd considering most of the counties access Cork from the North of the city and yet have to cross the river to the South but Cork as a City is a brilliant setting for a game. You love your sport down there so its only right ye have a top class stadium to go with it. Maybe im being selfish as a tall Tipperary man who attends many games in Cork with it being a neutral venue, but having my knees cramped back for 3 hours like last years Munster final, just isn't fun. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Can anyone tell me why there was no big concert there since Oasis in 1996.

Bruce Springsteen in 2013 makes a lot of sense when the place is ready to fall down.:(

Look at all the money they lost out on for 17 years.:rolleyes:

They tried to book Elton John back in 02' but it ended up being moved to Killarney due to poor ticket sales
    Can't remember what the ticket prices were, but they were very expensive by the standards of that time

Considering we've only two large scale promoters in Ireland who can bring concerts of this size (one of whom I don't think can be mentioned on boards) who only book in the Dublin area and Punchestown anymore.

And Aiken, who thankfully has the foresight to take a chance on venues like Slane and the Live at the Marquee series.

Meaning it's probably seen as too much of a financial risk to be booking large concerts down here.

The success of the 'Live at the Marquee' series might have played a part in convincing them otherwise and we might see an annual stadium concert, especially after the re-development.

Or maybe Jim Morrison and a Weird Naked Indian appeared to Peter Aiken telling him "If you book them, they will come" :pac: :pac: :pac:

If Cork are to to get more of the big games in the long term though they just cant go on the way things are. Other counties are getting fed up with PUC in its present state. The concourses are far to narrow and the bowl itself is a disaster. Only a child, a midget or a dwarf could enjoy a game in any form of comfort. As for the site around well its a sorry looking eyesore. Additionally, people having to access a stadium via the first aid area where ambulances need access, its an absurd situation

The location is sort of odd considering most of the counties access Cork from the North of the city and yet have to cross the river to the South but Cork as a City is a brilliant setting for a game. You love your sport down there so its only right ye have a top class stadium to go with it. Maybe im being selfish as a tall Tipperary man who attends many games in Cork with it being a neutral venue, but having my knees cramped back for 3 hours like last years Munster final, just isn't fun. :)

I have no problem with the building of a modern top class venue and agree that P ui C is in a terrible state but unfortunately this is not it. For €67m I would have expected a lot more than what appears above. Which is a half arsed effort!

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

That looks outdated already.
    Knock the thing and start from scratch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Fianna Fowl

From the Irish Times:

"Cork GAA yesterday unveiled plans for the € 22 million redevelopment and modernisation of Páirc Uí Chaoimh along with the development of a centre of excellence which will include a full sized all weather training facility.The redevelopment of Pairc Ui Chaoimh is part of the first phase of the €67 million redevelopment of Marina Park in the Cork Docklands which was approved last week by Cork City Council and the project will go for planning permission in October."

So the redevelopment of the Pairc will cost €22m and that includes the centre of excellence. This is part of a broader €67m for phase 1 of the redevelopment of Marina Park.

So €22m for the GAA stadium and centre of excellence and €45m on other stuff? €22m seems very afordable.

Also from the Irish Times:
    "Under the plan, the existing current stand which has a capacity of 9,000 will be demolished and replaced by a three-tier stand with a capacity of 13,000 while the uncovered stand will be redesigned and roofed with a capacity of 8,000 (down from 9,000) while terrace capacity will remain at 24,000."

Looking at the photos of the new stand, the middle tier i guess will be Premium seating. 2,500 premium seats X €4,000 a seat for 10 year seats (cover all Cork club championship, county league and home county championship games or some such) = €10m

Maybe sell the naming rights also and the redevelopment will nearly be paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭lukin

From the Irish Times:

"Cork GAA yesterday unveiled plans for the € 22 million redevelopment and modernisation of Páirc Uí Chaoimh along with the development of a centre of excellence which will include a full sized all weather training facility.The redevelopment of Pairc Ui Chaoimh is part of the first phase of the €67 million redevelopment of Marina Park in the Cork Docklands which was approved last week by Cork City Council and the project will go for planning permission in October."

So the redevelopment of the Pairc will cost €22m and that includes the centre of excellence. This is part of a broader €67m for phase 1 of the redevelopment of Marina Park.

So €22m for the GAA stadium and centre of excellence and €45m on other stuff? €22m seems very afordable.

Also from the Irish Times:
    "Under the plan, the existing current stand which has a capacity of 9,000 will be demolished and replaced by a three-tier stand with a capacity of 13,000 while the uncovered stand will be redesigned and roofed with a capacity of 8,000 (down from 9,000) while terrace capacity will remain at 24,000."

Looking at the photos of the new stand, the middle tier i guess will be Premium seating. 2,500 premium seats X €4,000 a seat for 10 year seats (cover all Cork club championship, county league and home county championship games or some such) = €10m

Maybe sell the naming rights also and the redevelopment will nearly be paid for.

So what's all this about it being "all-seater". The terraces are not going to be replaced with seats?

lukin wrote: »
    So what's all this about it being "all-seater". The terraces are not going to be replaced with seats?

Not all-seater, thanks be to god, terraces are staying. The view from the terraces in the Pairc is excellent. 21,000 covered seats is more than enough for league games during the winter or club games, just open the terraces in the summer for the championship, makes sense.

Current covered stand being knocked and replaced and existing uncovered stand being covered (capacity also being reduced on this stand, i assume to accomodate anyone over 5'10"

Not all-seater, thanks be to god, terraces are staying. The view from the terraces in the Pairc is excellent. 21,000 covered seats is more than enough for league games during the winter or club games, just open the terraces in the summer for the championship, makes sense.

Current covered stand being knocked and replaced and existing uncovered stand being covered (capacity also being reduced on this stand, i assume to accomodate anyone over 5'10"

The day of the terrace is gone for better or worse! Can't remember the last time 21,000 attended a league game in the park.

The day of the terrace is gone for better or worse! Can't remember the last time 21,000 attended a league game in the park.

Would have to disagree O’Connor Park Tullamore, Pearse Stadium Galway, O’Moore Park Galway, Wexford park all have terraces on 3 sides. Ideal for all GAA requirements, covered stand for the women, children and rainy league games in February.

The Dubs bring 20,000 to 30,000 to Croke Park for league games, no reason why Cork hurling could not do the same if the facilities were up to spec and tickets priced favorably. Dublin league games attendance increased over 3 fold when moved from Parnell park to Croke park.

Would have to disagree O’Connor Park Tullamore, Pearse Stadium Galway, O’Moore Park Galway, Wexford park all have terraces on 3 sides. Ideal for all GAA requirements, covered stand for the women, children and rainy league games in February.

The Dubs bring 20,000 to 30,000 to Croke Park for league games, no reason why Cork hurling could not do the same if the facilities were up to spec and tickets priced favorably. Dublin league games attendance increased over 3 fold when moved from Parnell park to Croke park.

The league has always been poorly supported in Cork and kerry I don't see anything like the Dubs figures on the cards even if the redeveloped stadium was up to spec. The current plans fall far short of what a modern stadium should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Is that a "Phase 1"? i.e. do they plan on building a similar stand at the other side at some point in the future? Those images don't really show what changes are being made to the rest of the 'bowl' - can they change the seat size?

Have to admit, I never go to Cork football or hurling games (or indeed Cork City games), and with the kips that Cork sport is played in (Pairc Ui Chaoimh, Musgrave Park, Turners Cross) there isn't much of an incentive for a neutral fan to start. With a shiny new, clean stadium with good facilities and reasonably comfortable seats, I might start. (Even better if all 3 sports were to share the new PUC - I think there would be a huge cross-over of fans - but I can't see that happening).

• Advertisement

The league has always been poorly supported in Cork and kerry I don't see anything like the Dubs figures on the cards even if the redeveloped stadium was up to spec. The current plans fall far short of what a modern stadium should be.

Improved facilities brings in the families, Dublin GAA has shown this with the Spring series. At least a 3 fold increase in league attendances.

Looks like a cracking GAA stadium to me, 2 fine stands and 2 excellent terraces. The Casement Park redevelopment in Belfast will be all-seater and is complete overkill, should have kept terraces at both ends. Terracing allows for cheaper ticket prices. 21,000 seats and 24,000 in the terrace is the right balance and meets the needs of Cork GAA.

Many 'modern stadiums' as you call them have no atmosphere and are built to look pretty from the outside but totally forget about the spectator in the stadium, the pathetic stadium formerly know as Lansdowne being a case in point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Where is the carpark?, its fecking mayhem down there when there is a big match on, the stadium shouldnt even be there anyway it should be at least a bit outside the city, or have free/cheap park and ride for fans, I think they offered park and ride facilties before and tried to fleece the fans so they simply parked on the footpaths and double yellow lines instead:mad:
    I will admit that area needs something done to it, it looks dreadful but to me and people who live closer its making the problem bigger not better,

bladebrew wrote: »
    Where is the carpark?, its fecking mayhem down there when there is a big match on, the stadium shouldnt even be there anyway it should be at least a bit outside the city, or have free/cheap park and ride for fans, I think they offered park and ride facilties before and tried to fleece the fans so they simply parked on the footpaths and double yellow lines instead:mad:
    I will admit that area needs something done to it, it looks dreadful but to me and people who live closer its making the problem bigger not better,

My big criticism would be whether there was real need for the pitch out front of the stadium when it could have had more practical use such as a car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

who_me wrote: »
    Is that a "Phase 1"? i.e. do they plan on building a similar stand at the other side at some point in the future? Those images don't really show what changes are being made to the rest of the 'bowl' - can they change the seat size?

Have to admit, I never go to Cork football or hurling games (or indeed Cork City games), and with the kips that Cork sport is played in (Pairc Ui Chaoimh, Musgrave Park, Turners Cross) there isn't much of an incentive for a neutral fan to start.

I'm really sorry there now, but Turners Cross is the best League of Ireland stadium, and probably the best local football stadium on the island. Only Turners Cross and the Aviva are all covered, all seated. You have an abundance of pubs around the ground, food can be easily got inside the ground, very clean toilet facilities, comfortable seat with a great view of what can only be described as a snooker table of a pitch, and a great athmosphere at most games.

What more do you want, there is literally, nothing more Cork City can do to get people to games.

A stupid, lazy comment it has to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mickyboy

€67 million looks rather expensive for what really looks like a new stand, a lick of paint to the rest of the stadium and a whole load of landscaping. Looks like they'll need more money in about 10 years for another redevelopment.

Just wondering why the county board didn't look at a land swap with the Council for some of the land out on the old dump on the South Link (maybe problems regarding methane). Surely this is a prime location for a stadium with proper infrastructure such as roads, parking and amenities in Douglas, Turners X.

Does anyone know how much it would cost to build a brand new 40-45,000 capacity stadium. Doesn't have to be crazy expensive (i.e. new Cork airport terminal) but basic facilities such as legroom, toilets?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

mickyboy wrote: »
    €67 million looks rather expensive for what really looks like a new stand, a lick of paint to the rest of the stadium and a whole load of landscaping. Looks like they'll need more money in about 10 years for another redevelopment.

Just wondering why the county board didn't look at a land swap with the Council for some of the land out on the old dump on the South Link (maybe problems regarding methane). Surely this is a prime location for a stadium with proper infrastructure such as roads, parking and amenities in Douglas, Turners X.

Does anyone know how much it would cost to build a brand new 40-45,000 capacity stadium. Doesn't have to be crazy expensive (i.e. new Cork airport terminal) but basic facilities such as legroom, toilets?

Its not 67 Million its € 22 million

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

mickyboy wrote: »

To build a brand new stadium depends on a lot of variables really, transport links, which are shocking to the Pairc IMO, unless you walk you're pretty much screwed, you can park in some of the areas down around the ground but that causes huge problems for residents and traffic flow and restrictions throughout the area and city on a busy day.

Ideally there would be another car park build but then how many times a year is a car park for a few hundred cars going to be used and its not just a case of throwing down some asphalt or concrete to simply make a car park either.

The only bus routes down to the area is the 202 and 210 a bit further away, if you're travelling from a distance away again you're fairly stuck as you'll have to park up, jump on a bus and travel to the game.

At a reserved cost if you were to build a new stadium with a car park on site I'd guess 250million for a 40-45k stadium, theres no way in hell theyhll get funding for it and it will be a white elephant in the long run.

Even if you say off set it with concerts and shows, the reason most acts pick Dublin is the o2 is a purpoe built arena but also the transprt cost, most acts have a few trucks with equipment for stage, lighting etc and they'll ferry them into Dublin, its cheaper to get off the docks in Dublin then to drive down the motorway to Cork.

The best bet is redevelop the area IMO as a new stadium is out of the question, as someone mentioned Croke Park, the reason the Dubs get support is its practically in the City Centre and has more transport links to shift fans around so numbers are more easily boosted.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    , the reason the Dubs get support is its practically in the City Centre and has more transport links to shift fans around so numbers are more easily boosted.

South Mall to the Pairc is 2.5Km.

Stephens green luas stop to Croke Park 2.9Km
    Abbey Street luas stop or Connolly station are both 2Km

Granted the Cork docklands are not the nicest to walk through but neither is a lot of North inner city Dublin. Also there are big plans to redevelop the Cork docklands

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

South Mall to the Pairc is 2.5Km.

Stephens green luas stop to Croke Park 2.9Km
    Abbey Street luas stop or Connolly station are both 2Km

Granted the Cork docklands are not the nicest to walk through but neither is a lot of North inner city Dublin. Also there are big plans to redevelop the Cork docklands

I'm assuming you've been to Dublin ya?

As you said the ground is in the Inner City, the Marina on the other hand is not and no buses go down by it.

Its alot easier to get to Croke Park from the centre of Dublin then it is the Marina and the Pairc.

With better transport links on matchdays and matchday parking it would be better for everyone involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 mickyboy

€22 million looks a bit more sensible. Was looking at the Evening Echo article which says €67m for PUC redevelopment.

Wonder if they will put in temporary bars/cafes outside the stadium before matches/concerts. I find that most people go down there last minute as there's nowhere to get a drink or snack directly outside the stadium

Advertisement