Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pairc Ui Chaoimh re-development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

evilivor wrote: »
    Munster Rugby are reportedly putting together an extensive ground redevelopment plan for Irish Independent Park to allow it to compete with Thomond Park in Limerick to host games in both the RaboDirect PRO12 and the Heineken Cup.

I wonder will they be getting public funding for it?

Musgrave Park has hosted Pro12 games up until the end of this season.

As rebs23 has said, there is no way Munster branch will develop Musgrave Park to a standard anything like Thomond Park. Nothing close to it.

There isn't a hope Cork will see a Heineken Cup game (or whatever it is called next year) in the next 20 years. Not a chance.

Munster Branch have effectively abandoned Cork, but then again, it had to abandon one city or the other.

Funnily enough, I don't remember any debate like all of what is going on now when both Thomond Park and the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick had millions spent on them.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Which qualifiers? As stated Cork as a neutral venue only suits a small number of counties. And which extra Munster games. Most teams have a home and away arrangement where they alternate home venues year after year. The likes of Tipp or Limerick aren't going to give up a home game to suit PuC.

What exactly do you want to see done ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

What exactly do you want to see done ?

Not spend public money on a white elephant that won't be used. No problem if it was going to be extensively used but for a handful of events every year it is madness.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Not spend public money on a white elephant that won't be used. No problem if it was going to be extensively used but for a handful of events every year it is madness.

Instead of being negative in every post, explain what should be done. You've spent today doing largely nothing but shooting down everyone else's posts.

Limerick has built 2 large stadium without detractors having a go off them. Half a billion of public money has been spent between Croke Park and The Aviva in Dublin.

I'm actually stunned by the way that it got €30m of funding as Cork seems to be the forgotten city in Ireland. Galway and Limerick are constantly getting more and more infrastructural funding with Cork being left behind. But, c'est la vie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Instead of being negative in every post, explain what should be done. You've spent today doing largely nothing but shooting down everyone else's posts.

Limerick has built 2 large stadium without detractors having a go off them. Half a billion of public money has been spent between Croke Park and The Aviva in Dublin.

People love having a go and being negative. Draining to be honest.

• Advertisement

I'm not going to pin it on any posters here, but I have no doubt that a lot of the negativity around any redevelopment is due to an anti-GAA bias.

I've seen all sorts of stuff being pandered about this project. The usual Grab All Association has of course raised its ugly head elsewhere.

I'd be interested to know if there was a similar debate on here when the government spent €200m of public money on the Aviva Stadium ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Musgrave Park has hosted Pro12 games up until the end of this season.

As rebs23 has said, there is no way Munster branch will develop Musgrave Park to a standard anything like Thomond Park. Nothing close to it.

There isn't a hope Cork will see a Heineken Cup game (or whatever it is called next year) in the next 20 years. Not a chance.

Munster Branch have effectively abandoned Cork, but then again, it had to abandon one city or the other.

Funnily enough, I don't remember any debate like all of what is going on now when both Thomond Park and the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick had millions spent on them.

I have no idea what Munster have planned for Irish Independent Park but they made an announcement that new funding would allow them to: "progress on our redevelopment of the grounds and commit to our rugby future here. Cork is a vital element of Munster Rugby's success and we are happy that Irish Independent Park will be central to rugby development in the region."

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

rebs23 wrote: »

As for public money being spent on the redevelopment, other cities in Ireland have had substantial public money spent on stadiums for sporting organisations so why not PUC in Cork? An estimated €500 Million on stadiums in Dublin alone and we get €30 Million? All over the world public money is spent on building stadiums so that cities can attract events. Why not Cork?

Are we to be the only city in Ireland not to have a modern stadium capable of attracting significant sporting and cultural events?

I just can't understand the objectors but that probably works both ways.:)

I just want to clarify, I doubt many are objecting to public money being spent on developing a stadium. It's more the fact that the stadium will not be open to other sports, or if it is that the GAA will get first pick.

A good stadium would be a great asset if it could be used by all sporting organisations and for concerts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

FrStone wrote: »
    I just want to clarify, I doubt many are objecting to public money being spent on developing a stadium. It's more the fact that the stadium will not be open to other sports, or if it is that the GAA will get first pick.

A good stadium would be a great asset if it could be used by all sporting organisations and for concerts etc.

I think in fairness the stadium will have to be opened up to all Sports and I would be amazed if that has not been agreed with the Govt. if there are going to throw in €30m. I can see both sides of the argument to be honest.

They are doing nothing about match traffic as far as I can see. P ui C is a desperate bottle kneck on match Days.

Why they don't buy the old Ford distribution site as part of the development, which l think is in Nama now ? is beyond me. It's already a car park and is used for same for the Marquee. That would sort out a multitude and maybe you could build a two storey car park, if possible, and even put a state of the art gym over it and if permitted conference facilities as well. It's about a 500 yard walk to P ui C from there and it would sort out a lot of the messing with parking on match Days.

if it is in Nama surely the Govt have an input into it's sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I'm actually stunned by the way that it got €30m of funding as Cork seems to be the forgotten city in Ireland. Galway and Limerick are constantly getting more and more infrastructural funding with Cork being left behind. But, c'est la vie.

There was huge debate in Limerick when they redeveloped the two stadiums. I know it's tempting to pretend there was no debate but there was. There is still a lot of questions in Limerick about the need for the Gaelic Grounds. It has hardly been filled once since it's redevelopment.

The issue is not the redevelopment of PuC per se, it's that it is going towards something that will hardly be used at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

That just about sums up my thinking on the matter as well. I'm in no way anti-GAA but rules like only using PuC for GAA are completely outdated.

Also I don't get the need for building a centre of excellence - surely this is something that could be run out of more accessible facilities like Mallow, Nemo or Clon?

Finally I'd think the design of the stadium could be sexed up - it would a great landmark coming into the city if done right.

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    Also I don't get the need for building a centre of excellence - surely this is something that could be run out of more accessible facilities like Mallow, Nemo or Clon?

Finally I'd think the design of the stadium could be sexed up - it would a great landmark coming into the city if done right.

There is absolutely no need at all for the centre of excellence to down in P ui C. lt would make far more sense financially and from a logistics point of view to have it somewhere on the edge of the City with handy access from the main roads. It is basically a waste of space down in the Marina. It's not like the players are going to going to in the centre of excellence before they tog out for their Championship match !!!

l'd like to see the stadium plans revamped as well, the thing is totally lop sided , as l'll be looking for it ( and paying for it ) for the rest of my life l would expect a considerably better design.

This viewing area over the training pitch, from the stadium, is a basket case as well, l've never heard or seen the likes of it. Waste of money.

Finally, there is absolutely no need for a training pitch beside P ui C, P Ui Rinn is about a 10 minute jog away for christ sakes. All the league games were in P ui R this Year !!! In any event l'm confident our seniors could make it up Temple Hill at a push.

a) build the Centre of excellence elsewhere, get the land from NAMA, as cheap as possible.
    b) Forget about the training pitch.
    c) Revamp the entire stadium, the current plan looks like a house extension.
    d) Buy the old 'Ford' site off NAMA ( as cheap as possible ) and put in the required parking, for all events. Possibly put the gym here, again freeing up space for a logically shaped stadium.
    e) Open the stadium to all sports. By the way l think as things stand they will have a major job on their hands meeting the UEFA safety crtieria for safety and crowd control etc. Basically there is nothing there as it stands. If they don't sort that out they won't get these games, they will go to Dublin every time. These are a massive money spinner and will be only rarely required so a win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

The South Ring Road is bad enough without putting a 45,000 stadium right beside the Kinsale Road Roundabout. Simply wouldn't be allowed.

Planning has already been obtained and construction is due to begin shortly but not for 45,000. If memory serves me correctly it is 12 k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

rebs23 wrote: »
    An upgraded PUC will attract a lot more big matches if it is upgraded. Cork fans are always travelling.
    As a local, I am delighted this derelict area is being redeveloped. Considering the huge sums invested by the GAA and the Government elsewhere, good to see Cork gets a small slice of the cake.
    Looking forward to Munster finals , hurling and football, AI series matches, Rugby World Cups, the big stadium size concerts all on my doorstep.
    There has always been a stadium with a min capacity of 45,000 and it will attract the numbers over its lifetime to justify the money. The economic yield for Cork is huge. We cannot be the only City in Ireland without a modern stadium capable of holding major events.

Crok have a home and away agreement and if they ever meet in an all ireland quarter or semi final it should count for that too. Cork v kerry semi in Croker might have a total of 25-30k fans from noth at it. So why not pack one of their own stadiums to the rafters and worse case scenario have limerick or thurlers used instead.

The GAA would be so much better if the quarters and semi's didn't absolutely have to be played in Dublin.

It works both ways mate. The Aviva had hundreds of millions spent on it by the govt, and it's not suitable for the GAA to play. Same with the new thomand and i'm sure musgrave park after a very minor upgrade too. The GAA don't actually look for it often but when they did with Tallaght stadium they were denied. SO I don't see why the usual when can only the gaa use gaa grounds without paying argument arises.

Cork county has close to a hundred thousand gaa memebers (possibly more) ad they all pay their taxes. A 30M grant is really not that big a deal and if another sport in cork wants that go and get yourself a similar number of members and supporters that would actually go to a game in that sport. Soccer in the city is grand and cork city have the best stadium in the loi and very good attendances that don't fill it but are respectable none the less.

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    That just about sums up my thinking on the matter as well. I'm in no way anti-GAA but rules like only using PuC for GAA are completely outdated.

They said the ew gaa pitch (center of excellence) will be used for local club and school games mostly. If they are building it I'd say there's every need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Pairc Ui Chaoimh is a stadium disaster waiting to happen. We know from looking at our neighbours across the water that you shouldn't wait until accidents happen to take action.

kub wrote: »
    Planning has already been obtained and construction is due to begin shortly but not for 45,000. If memory serves me correctly it is 12 k.

I was saying if the Pairc had been relocated to Tramore Valley Park as some one else thought would be a good idea. Which of course it won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    It works both ways mate. The Aviva had hundreds of millions spent on it by the govt, and it's not suitable for the GAA to play. Same with the new thomand and i'm sure musgrave park after a very minor upgrade too. The GAA don't actually look for it often but when they did with Tallaght stadium they were denied. SO I don't see why the usual when can only the gaa use gaa grounds without paying argument arises.

Oh I would make the same arguments about the Aviva etc. Should have been publicly funded and made available to all sports groups.

Regarding the county of Cork having close to 100,0000 members and them all paying their taxes. A large proportion of them a children, so pay no taxes. However that's got feck all to do with it. Providing sports facilities is a solid investment whether they pay taxes or not.

Oh I would make the same arguments about the Aviva etc. Should have been publicly funded and made available to all sports groups.

Regarding the county of Cork having close to 100,0000 members and them all paying their taxes. A large proportion of them a children, so pay no taxes. However that's got feck all to do with it. Providing sports facilities is a solid investment whether they pay taxes or not.

The thing is I'd argue the GAA have zero business to be playing in the Aviva just like the FAI and IRFU have zero business playing in the new PUC unless they rent it from the GAA.

Companies like google have saved hundreds of millions because our government has been very lenient to them. Should we all be allowed share their offices in Dublin? Prob a bad example but you get my poit.

And I realize many are kids but their parents pay taxes and a child not yet paying tax is more important to me than an adult who is.

• Advertisement

The GAA would be so much better if the quarters and semi's didn't absolutely have to be played in Dublin.

You might be right and Bob Ryan was in "de papers" the other Day flying that kite.

However I doubt the punters who paid approx €1k+ per Year for a 10/5 Year ticket in Croke Park will be too happy to hear that the Quarters and semis may now be played in Cork. The poor Dubs would keel over for starters. :p Likewise the Corporate boxes. It's not going to happen.

I don't know whether it's a bit of local politics or whatever with certain elections coming up :p :rolleyes: ;) but I think it's a red herring. Can't seeing the GAA being able to facilitate it, certainly in the medium term, next 10 Years or so.

The fact is there will be very little, or perhaps no GAA matches in P ui C going forward that will require 45k tickets.

The best way to get serious revenue streams in would be Concerts, maybe Heineken Cup Quarters/Semis ( home draws and progress assumed ) and if P ui C ( and this a big IF as the set up stands ), gets it's health & safety and crowd segregation in order some UEFA matches. UEFA would happily give Cork a few matches if the stadium meets the standard. Then there is the Rugby WC, which we seem to be assuming we're getting ? and finally I think a pre-season friendly every 2 Years or so against the likes of United/Liverpool/Real/Barca etc would more or less fill the stadium.

In terms of GAA matches there will be little or nothing to fill it.

All the GAA haters and the Grab All Assoc signed up members are off target as their sports will be there too. If they don't like sports, tough !!:D it's a Sports stadium, that is allowed. The catcher is the Rye I suppose is that the GAA will own the stadium and will control the revenue streams but that's probably the way it's got to be ( even if we're all chucking in €30m ) and in fairness they do own the current creaky bowl.

Even if the dinosaurs succeed in keeping foreign sports out in the 21st Century, it's not sustainable, it won't last. That ship has sailed in any case.

They said the ew gaa pitch (center of excellence) will be used for local club and school games mostly.

Do you have a source on that bit of information ? :)

clerk wrote: »
    You might be right and Bob Ryan was in "de papers" the other Day flying that kite.

However I doubt the punters who paid approx €1k+ per Year for a 10/5 Year ticket in Croke Park will be too happy to hear that the Quarters and semis may now be played in Cork. The poor Dubs would keel over for starters. :p Likewise the Corporate boxes. It's not going to happen.

I don't know whether it's a bit of local politics or whatever with certain elections coming up :p :rolleyes: ;) but I think it's a red herring. Can't seeing the GAA being able to facilitate it, certainly in the medium term, next 10 Years or so.

The fact is there will be very little, or perhaps no GAA matches in P ui C going forward that will require 45k tickets.

The best way to get serious revenue streams in would be Concerts, maybe Heineken Cup Quarters/Semis ( home draws and progress assumed ) and if P ui C ( and this a big IF as the set up stands ), gets it's health & safety and crowd segregation in order some UEFA matches. UEFA would happily give Cork a few matches if the stadium meets the standard. Then there is the Rugby WC, which we seem to be assuming we're getting ? and finally I think a pre-season friendly every 2 Years or so against the likes of United/Liverpool/Real/Barca etc would more or less fill the stadium.

In terms of GAA matches there will be little or nothing to fill it.

All the GAA haters and the Grab All Assoc signed up members are off target as their sports will be there too. If they don't like sports, tough !!:D it's a Sports stadium, that is allowed. The catcher is the Rye I suppose is that the GAA will own the stadium and will control the revenue streams but that's probably the way it's got to be ( even if we're all chucking in €30m ) and in fairness they do own the current creaky bowl.

Even if the dinosaurs succeed in keeping foreign sports out in the 21st Century, it's not sustainable, it won't last. That ship has sailed in any case.

On the rare occasion that you get a match up like kerry v limerick in a QF that would bring less than 10k to croker they really should fix that in munster. I see no reason why they can't offer the premium lads/corporate boxes free tickets to the game whether it be in thurles, killarney, limerick, PUC. Many a championship over the years would have been so ,much better if it weren't for them all bring in croker. You just can't expect massive crowds to always travel up.

On the rare occasion that you get a match up like kerry v limerick in a QF that would bring less than 10k to croker they really should fix that in munster. I see no reason why they can't offer the premium lads/corporate boxes free tickets to the game whether it be in thurles, killarney, limerick, PUC. Many a championship over the years would have been so ,much better if it weren't for them all bring in croker. You just can't expect massive crowds to always travel up.

Look as a Corkman it would be great if some of those matches would be held in P ui C and I agree it's very unfair on the GAA to expect Cork and Kerry fans to keep traveling up to Dublin all the time and indeed I have written to the relevant GAA authorities on that very issue over the Years and received responses.

But there a number of issues:
    1] I'd imagine the terms and conditions of the 10 Year tickets are legally binding. I'm not sure 'free tickets' will compensate punters that have no interest in traveling up and down to Cork.
    2] Most of the premium tickets are sold with a very good spread across the 32 Counties. Mostly to people with plenty of money made and used to getting what they want. Naturally a disproportionate amount of them are living and working in the De Capital making the jaunt to Croke Park, a nice afternoon out, have a few jars, maybe hook up with a few old buddies and back to the missus for circa 8/9. A trip to Cork is a totally different product for them.
    3] I've been at the Quarters for the football 3 Years running and the attendance is circa 50k, that's with double headers. The premium section, if Dublin aren't playing is about half full ( even though the tickets are paid for !! ), i.e. you won't fill P ui C for a Football Quarter, you might ? fill it for a double header.
    4] Given the choice can you see Ulster teams wanting to play in Cork as opposed to Croke Park ? Not going to happen.
    5] Dubs - who will be in the Quarters for the next 10 Years at least - play in Cork :D not going to happen.
    6] Semi finals - no chance. Why would a team want to play the semi in Cork when the final is in Croke Park and meanwhile the Dubs are playing all their matches in Croke Park.
    7] A Kerry v Limerick Quarter ( you mention above ) would bring about 12k to P Ui C. l'm not being smart when I say that. No Cork people/neutrals would go to it and Kerry only travel for finals - not a myth.

I wrote to the GAA ( HQ and Munster GAA - not CCB ) before to ask them to at least give Cork double headers in the qualifiers but they've done nothing for us. In fact they've shafted us on numerous occassions.

Reading between the lines teams don't want to play Cork in Cork because it would be a huge advantage to Cork.

clerk wrote: »
    Look as a Corkman it would be great if some of those matches would be held in P ui C and I agree it's very unfair on the GAA to expect Cork and Kerry fans to keep traveling up to Dublin all the time and indeed I have written to the relevant GAA authorities on that very issue over the Years and received responses.

But there a number of issues:
    1] I'd imagine the terms and conditions of the 10 Year tickets are legally binding. I'm not sure 'free tickets' will compensate punters that have no interest in traveling up and down to Cork.
    2] Most of the premium tickets are sold with a very good spread across the 32 Counties. Mostly to people with plenty of money made and used to getting what they want. Naturally a disproportionate amount of them are living and working in the De Capital making the jaunt to Croke Park, a nice afternoon out, have a few jars, maybe hook up with a few old buddies and back to the missus for circa 8/9. A trip to Cork is a totally different product for them.
    3] I've been at the Quarters for the football 3 Years running and the attendance is circa 50k, that's with double headers. The premium section, if Dublin aren't playing is about half full ( even though the tickets are paid for !! ), i.e. you won't fill P ui C for a Football Quarter, you might ? fill it for a double header.
    4] Given the choice can you see Ulster teams wanting to play in Cork as opposed to Croke Park ? Not going to happen.
    5] Dubs - who will be in the Quarters for the next 10 Years at least - play in Cork :D not going to happen.
    6] Semi finals - no chance. Why would a team want to play the semi in Cork when the final is in Croke Park and meanwhile the Dubs are playing all their matches in Croke Park.
    7] A Kerry v Limerick Quarter ( you mention above ) would bring about 12k to P Ui C. l'm not being smart when I say that. No Cork people/neutrals would go to it and Kerry only travel for finals - not a myth.

I wrote to the GAA ( HQ and Munster GAA - not CCB ) before to ask them to at least give Cork double headers in the qualifiers but they've done nothing for us. In fact they've shafted us on numerous occassions.

Reading between the lines teams don't want to play Cork in Cork because it would be a huge advantage to Cork.

OK so what if starting next year all new season tickets have a contract that allows the gaa to play 1 football quarter final a year out of croke park?

OK so what if starting next year all new season tickets have a contract that allows the gaa to play 1 football quarter final a year out of croke park?

Technically that might work.

I think that's what you would be looking at realistically.

You'd then have to wait until all the rights lapse so in 10 Years time you could proceed.

But firstly Croke Park/HQ will have to sign up ? Will they sign up to it ?

At the moment they haven't signed up to anything - in fact l'm pretty sure it's not even on an agenda for discussion. Not referring to you but it's not going to happen by magic, it will have to go through due process. Contrary to popular perception Cork GAA don't run the GAA which is perfectly clear from the fixtures in the last 5-10 Years in the qualifiers etc., e.g. the recent Tipp Q in the league/the Saturday night !!! Munster hurling final about 5 Years/no double headers in the qualifiers. In fact there is an air of negativity about Cork GAA in the GAA outside Cork unfortunately. Yeah, we get suspensions thrown out on technicalities, we're great at that, which of course attracts huge negativity towards Cork in the media and in my opinion from the GAA in general, outside Cork. Not that we care, but not good when we're going cap in hand up to HQ for a handout.

Then from a commercial point of view will it affect sales of the 5/10 Year tickets ? Will they have to reduce the price for punters not interested in going to Cork ?

Presumably the Quarter will involve Cork or Kerry. Sometimes the Quarters can be poor enough games. Sometimes they are good games.

I'd say you might get 30k at a Cork game and circa 15k for a Kerry game in P ui C for a football Quarter. Will be nice for Cork people and handy for Kerry but won't pay for the stadium. Might happen in circa 2025 if everybody gets behind it, if not it's sandcastles in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

I would have no problem with the GAA investing money in sports facilities (centre of excellence etc..) but what is happening here is that the stadium is a vanity project for one man. What is the point of building a 40k or 50k capacity stadium which will be competing against other 40K or 50K capacity stadiums in Munster for probably two games that will fill it every year.

National stadium development in this country is led by the GAA who have a county based stadium strategy that doesn’t even suit its own needs nationally..

For all their faults at least the FAI and IRFU worked together to develop the Lansdowne Rd which is an asset to the country.

The GAA have county based stadium plans rather than national ones and these vanity projects are pandered to by the government who throw money at them.

The GAA have their own stadium policy and because of that (as they are the biggest organization) we as a country and as taxpayers follow this policy to the detriment of all sports.
    We are a small country of 4 million people yet in Munster alone we have 4 stadiums with capacity over 40,000 (Fitzgerald Stadium, Thurles, PUC & Limerick) and we also have Thomand Park and plans to redevelop Musgrave Park.
    The first 4 wouldn’t get health and safety certificates in any other European Union Country outside of Ireland…

We here are looking at PUC from a Cork perspective. All stadiums being developed/built should be looked at from a National Perspective but as long as the government keeps throwing money at the GAA this will never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I'm not a huge GAA fan, but I've no real problem if some Government (i.e. tax) funding is provided for the PuC. What annoys me is how it's almost twice the cost of Thomond and yet is a far less substantial redevelopment. Yes it's a bigger stadium, but only one stand is being completely rebuilt, and a roof added on the far side.

If it can be used for other events, it could bring in a lot of revenue to the city. It was estimated TP events have benefitted the local economy to the tune of €132m.

It's easy to say "it won't be used", but you won't really know either until it's built.

who_me wrote: »
    I'm not a huge GAA fan, but I've no real problem if some Government (i.e. tax) funding is provided for the PuC. What annoys me is how it's almost twice the cost of Thomond and yet is a far less substantial redevelopment. Yes it's a bigger stadium, but only one stand is being completely rebuilt, and a roof added on the far side.

If it can be used for other events, it could bring in a lot of revenue to the city. It was estimated TP events have benefitted the local economy to the tune of €132m.

It's easy to say "it won't be used", but you won't really know either until it's built.

The other stand is also being completely rebuilt. This nonsense of using the roof off the old stand and putting it on the other side of the pitch is also not true.

Limerick having 2 stadiums (Gaelic Grounds is a concrete monstrosity) is Limerick's problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

The other stand is also being completely rebuilt. This nonsense of using the roof off the old stand and putting it on the other side of the pitch is also not true.

Limerick having 2 stadiums (Gaelic Grounds is a concrete monstrosity) is Limerick's problem.

No, its a GAA problem and because successive Irish governments have been led by (and looked to) the GAA when it comes to stadium development it then becomes a national and a tax payers problem.

Each county wants to develop its own stadium without giving any thought to the over all state or need for stadiums in this country as a whole so we end up with white elephants like Limerick.

When was the last time Limerick was full? Or PUC for that matter?
    It is probably a good thing that they werent as neither of the two are fit for purpose.

Advertisement