Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Earls best position would be as a running back or kick returner for an NFL franchise. No defending to do, and he could have the big lads clear him a hole, leaving him minimal defender beating to do too. He is so far from being Ireland's 1st choice thirteen that only something ridiculous like having Declan Kidney as head coach could make it even a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭leakyboots

tolosenc wrote: »
    Earls best position would be as a running back or kick returner for an NFL franchise. No defending to do, and he could have the big lads clear him a hole, leaving him minimal defender beating to do too. He is so far from being Ireland's 1st choice thirteen that only something ridiculous like having Declan Kidney as head coach could make it even a possibility.

An absolutely ridiculous post. Congrats.

Earls was absolute quality under the high ball in the 6N last year. I'd have no fear for him there.

Again though, I'd question our apparent "need" to play players out of position.

"Absolute quality under the high ball"??

Was Earls not parachuted in to 15 in the final match against England after Luke had a horror show in his run in that position? He only played one match at 15 in the Six Nations and I don't think he was tested at all.

In fact, if I remember people were saying they were surprised England didn't bomb him repeatedly.

But I think he offers more there than Kearney who is too one-dimensional.

All told it is shaping up to be a very interesting Six Nations. A new France, who the f**k knows who England will pick, Wales are up and coming and Scotland are slow and steadily rising recently. Factor in Italy who have definitely stepped up a gear in Rabo and HEC and it's shaping up nicely.

Leaving our centre woes aside, we do have the nucleus of a good (and pretty experienced) team - a solid front row, POC + ? (Ryan/Touhy/Toner/DOC), good backrow in SOB + Heaslip, plenty of options at scrum and fly half, wingers in good shape - momentum will be key.

leakyboots wrote: »
    An absolutely ridiculous post. Congrats.

:rolleyes:

Earls was absolute quality under the high ball in the 6N last year. I'd have no fear for him there.

Again though, I'd question our apparent "need" to play players out of position.

"Absolute quality under the high ball"??

Was Earls not parachuted in to 15 in the final match against England after Luke had a horror show in his run in that position? He only played one match at 15 in the Six Nations and I don't think he was tested at all.

In fact, if I remember people were saying they were surprised England didn't bomb him repeatedly.

All told it is shaping up to be a very interesting Six Nations. A new France, who the f**k knows who England will pick, Wales are up and coming and Scotland are slow and steadily rising recently. Factor in Italy who have definitely stepped up a gear in Rabo and HEC and it's shaping up nicely.

Leaving our centre woes aside, we do have the nucleus of a good (and pretty experienced) team - a solid front row, POC + ? (Ryan/Touhy/Toner/DOC), good backrow in SOB + Heaslip, plenty of options at scrum and fly half, wingers in good shape - momentum will be key.
    Really quite confusing post. Earls' game vs Scotland In the 6N is a prime example of how he can handle te high ball when in a good run of form.

He was an absolute rock that day, I'd mark it as one of his best performances in a green jersey. Scotland sent more than a few kicks down his throat and he dealt with them all.

You may be surprised and appalled to hear that Earls' best appearances and also consistent run of appearances have come when his coaches finally realise that he's an out an out 11 and a poor centre, and allow him time and opportunity to gain some confidence.

I think that the only reason anyone ever suggested earls at 13 was because someone once decided that "he's BOD's heir apparent" and the medjia and the fans ran with it.

• Advertisement

tolosenc wrote: »

Another outstanding contribution. Care to offer more than a click of your mouse? I like to think I at the very least try to explain my opinions.

Kearney catches the high ball well but is a poor last ditch tackler and doesn't set the world alight going forward. I didn't rate Girve the Swerve that highly but at least he had the great footballing intelligence to be in the right place in the right time to slide over the line from 5 yards (not a slight on Girvan, he made the best of his limited abilities, fantastic pro - Kearney's got much better raw materials but hasn't fulfilled his potential for me)

did you see the Leinster game tonight?

Kearney was everything you've just said he wasn't.

Funny how you say 'one word posts really irritate' you but yet you 'like' a smilie differing a constructive post.

Now c'mon Emmet, some perspective. Versus a very, very poor Bath. Did you even see the defense from Lukey's second try by the winger/fullback? Never mind the forward pass (these things happen regularly)

Other posters and the commentators were saying, it was like a training exercise at times, that's nowhere near international level and you know it. Kearney has been there by default in recent years because an ageing Geordan Murphy and Gavin Duffy has been his challenger. Nacewa is the better fullback at Leinster by a country mile and should be there week in week out.

As for your post above about Earls versus Scotland, I call shenanigans - I don't recall him being tested that much on the left wing (which anyway ain't fullback where you're surrounded by traffic when going for a ball incidentally), these highlights below don't have a single example and a google of it shows up nothing either.

Oh yeah and... just how many times has Earls worn 13 for Ireland? Last time he did he put 2 tries past Russia in the World Cup. People so quick to write him off haven't seen him have a proper go at it. By all means if he has a fair chance at it and makes a bags of it I'll gladly hold my hand up and shake my Eoin O'Malley pom-poms, all I'm saying is get some perspective in your ideas for who should wear the jersey. Deccie picking Earls isin't an outlandish proposal as some are making out.

And Emmet you've missed my point - I'm happy enough to see Earls at fullback if Kearney is gone and it frees up Trimble/Fitz to come into the side. But I think Earls will be centre/wing and Rob will be fullback. My ideal back 3 for an injury-free Ireland would be Felix/Bowe/Earls serious pace there. But the jury is out on Felix until he's injury free. Kearney's try-scoring record for Ireland is abysmal, half of his 7 tries are in friendlies and he hasn't the solidity of Dempsey by any means. And any rugby player who has his own website at 25 without being seriously world class can go and jump as far as I'm concerned - http://www.robkearney.com/. Again, if he has a storming Six Nations I'll hold my hands up, I'm not above that at all. But as international full backs go, he isin't above the grade by any means

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu0dX79tzFA

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

And any rugby player who has his own website at 25 without being seriously world class can go and jump as far as I'm concerned - http://www.robkearney.com/.

Uncle Deccie, is that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Funny how you say 'one word posts really irritate' you but yet you 'like' a smilie differing a constructive post.

Now c'mon Emmet, some perspective. Versus a very, very poor Bath. Did you even see the defense from Lukey's second try by the winger/fullback? Never mind the forward pass (these things happen regularly)

Other posters and the commentators were saying, it was like a training exercise at times, that's nowhere near international level and you know it. Kearney has been there by default in recent years because an ageing Geordan Murphy and Gavin Duffy has been his challenger. Nacewa is the better fullback at Leinster by a country mile and should be there week in week out.

As for your post above about Earls versus Scotland, I call shenanigans - I don't recall him being tested that much on the left wing (which anyway ain't fullback where you're surrounded by traffic when going for a ball incidentally), these highlights below don't have a single example and a google of it shows up nothing either.

Oh yeah and... just how many times has Earls worn 13 for Ireland? Last time he did he put 2 tries past Russia in the World Cup. People so quick to write him off haven't seen him have a proper go at it. By all means if he has a fair chance at it and makes a bags of it I'll gladly hold my hand up and shake my Eoin O'Malley pom-poms, all I'm saying is get some perspective in your ideas for who should wear the jersey. Deccie picking Earls isin't an outlandish proposal as some are making out.

And Emmet you've missed my point - I'm happy enough to see Earls at fullback if Kearney is gone and it frees up Trimble/Fitz to come into the side. But I think Earls will be centre/wing and Rob will be fullback. My ideal back 3 for an injury-free Ireland would be Felix/Bowe/Earls serious pace there. But the jury is out on Felix until he's injury free. Kearney's try-scoring record for Ireland is abysmal, half of his 7 tries are in friendlies and he hasn't the solidity of Dempsey by any means. And any rugby player who has his own website at 25 without being seriously world class can go and jump as far as I'm concerned - http://www.robkearney.com/. Again, if he has a storming Six Nations I'll hold my hands up, I'm not above that at all. But as international full backs go, he isin't above the grade by any means

Is Earls v Tuilagi not enough evidence to suggest that his positioning (among at multitude of things) at 13 is completely wrong. Why play a forced 13 who is good (and much better) on the wing instead of someone who has played 13 all their life in their best position.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

And any rugby player who has his own website at 25 without being seriously world class can go and jump as far as I'm concerned - http://www.robkearney.com/.
    Indeed he can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Sport101 wrote: »
    If by score you mean overrun the pass then wave his hands, then sure!
    Where's Shaggy these days? Now he's a winger who knows how to score tries...what a machine.

well egg on your face for all your Luke Fitz slagging off on friday....two great trys (as i predicted!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Oh yeah and... just how many times has Earls worn 13 for Ireland? Last time he did he put 2 tries past Russia in the World Cup.

The lions selectors (who had a bang in form Lee Byrne as well) thought Kearney was able to cut it at international level.

I'm perfectly happy with the notion that Earls be a 13 everytime we play a tier II nation. Incidently, EOM scored two tries from 13 last month against a side significantly better than Russia.....

Seriously though, the thing I don't get about moving earls from the wing is they he has proven himself a damn good winger. He has also proven himself unable to play 13 and 15 at the highest levels.

Why oh why can these basic observations not lead to the conclusion - earls plays on the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

padser wrote: »
    Why oh why can these basic observations not lead to the conclusion - earls plays on the wing.

Because the best 13 we have ever had is 18/24 months from retirement and this is a discussion forum where the merits of his alternatives are being analysed... Like it or not, Earls is part of that discussion. The indignation that Earls even be mentioned is bizarre TBH...

So far there is no stand-out candidate, but if BOD retired in the morning I would have Bowe at 13 for the 6 nations with Fitz taking his place on the wing. Thats my 2 cents anyway.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

And any rugby player who has his own website at 25 without being seriously world class can go and jump as far as I'm concerned - http://www.robkearney.com/. Again, if he has a storming Six Nations I'll hold my hands up, I'm not above that at all. But as international full backs go, he isin't above the grade by any means

Ah for **** sake. What a pure load. What's your vendetta about? Munster fans seem to have this thing about heaslip and Kearney, despite the two being lions and two of the best in the world in their positions, but that crap really takes the biscuit!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Because the best 13 we have ever had is 18/24 months from retirement and this is a discussion forum where the merits of his alternatives are being analysed... Like it or not, Earls is part of that discussion. The indignation that Earls even be mentioned is bizarre TBH...

So far there is no stand-out candidate, but if BOD retired in the morning I would have Bowe at 13 for the 6 nations with Fitz taking his place on the wing. Thats my 2 cents anyway.

Yes, but the fact Earls is a very good winger also forms part of this discussion under his merits of becoming a centre. If we were to put him there, we would be losing an excellent winger, and that can form part of a reason not to select him there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Jayzus, LB. Last night's performance must be killing you. Kearney has been excellent this season for Leinster. Aside from Sexton, he is arguably Leinster's most consistent performer. Some of your arguments are beyond bizarre. Lets stick it to him because he has a website? What's with the vendetta?

He's the best 15 in the country by some distance and I don't think that's really debatable. Earls last man tackling is worse than Kearney's and, whilst he isn't bad under the high ball, he's not in at the same level as RK.

I don't know what the fascination is with taking players that are excellent in their positions and making them play somewhere else. If people had their way we'd have a side with SOB at 8, Heaslip at 7, Ferris at 4, Bowe at 13 and Earls at 15. Mad stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

wixfjord wrote: »
    Ah for **** sake. What a pure load. What's your vendetta about? Munster fans seem to have this thing about heaslip and Kearney, despite the two being lions and two of the best in the world in their positions, but that crap really takes the biscuit!

Neither have been among the best in the world in their positions for some time now. (relative standard, obviously both are better than 99.999% of rugby players)

I think Kearney will bounce back though, he has all the goods to be a genuinely world class fullback, something Earls doesn't. Earls is a fantastic finisher and a decent broken field runner, where-ever he plays that's what he brings, whatever team he plays for has to adjust accordingly, imo.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Bath are a much better side than Russia.....Why the double standards?
    Kearney's try-scoring record for Ireland is abysmal, half of his 7 tries are in friendlies and he hasn't the solidity of Dempsey by any means. And any rugby player who has his own website at 25 without being seriously world class can go and jump as far as I'm concerned -

Kearney is definitely world class. He was the stand out performer for the Lions, he is a consistent starter in a team that has won the HC twice in 3 years, he was a stand out performer in the Irish team that won the Grand Slam and he was brilliant in the world cup this year. its not even in doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Sport101

bamboozle wrote: »
    well egg on your face for all your Luke Fitz slagging off on friday....two great trys (as i predicted!)

I just pointing out his poor try scoring record for a winger, and tendency to overrun the ball, he did well yesterday though. Wingers need to score tries, hopefully he can keep it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Sport101 wrote: »
    I just pointing out his poor try scoring record for a winger, and tendency to overrun the ball, he did well yesterday though. Wingers need to score tries, hopefully he can keep it up.

Teams need to score tries. It doesn't matter who does it. If a winger comes in off his wing and helps create tries for others the result is just the same as if he'd scored the try himself. Take Strauss' try against Racing in the RDS for example. Fitzy was involved twice in that. Or even when he was off form look at Ryan's first try against Saracens when he came onto the ball running a great line and offloaded the ball brilliantly in the tackle keeping Sarries on the back foot.

Another outstanding contribution. Care to offer more than a click of your mouse? I like to think I at the very least try to explain my opinions.

OK, I'll bite. You called Earls a better full back because Kearney is one dimensional. Earls is the definition of a one dimensional player. Can't pass, can't kick, can't create, can't beat players, can't defend. If I was to pick players for a foot race to the line, there'd be few in world rugby I'd pick before Earls, if I was picking a winger/full back for an 80 minute rugby match he'd be way down the list, due to his poor skillset and lack of a rugby brain.
    Oh yeah and... just how many times has Earls worn 13 for Ireland? Last time he did he put 2 tries past Russia in the World Cup

Deccie picking Earls isin't an outlandish proposal as some are making out.

I agree. It's not at all unlikely. It's a very poor reflection on Declan Kidney, rather than a good reflection on Keith Earls.
    My ideal back 3 for an injury-free Ireland would be Felix/Bowe/Earls

Are you serious?! Kearney > Jones. Kearney > Earls. Trimble > Earls. Fitzgerald > Jones. Trimble > Fitzgerald. And many others.

A back three, assuming full fitness, other than Trimble/Bowe/Kearney is silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

O'Malley has started 4 HEC matches and two as sub. He's suddenly ready for the international scene? 40 league games. Crazy. I don't think he's stuck out that much to parachute him into our national side.

If we're going to put O'Malley in at centre, I think we should go the whole hog and do an Australia and blood 'em all this Six Nations and summer tour and autumn internationals and Six Nations next year by which time it might or might not have bore fruit. But I don't think we have the talent ready to do that at the moment. O'Malley is no more ready than Barnes or Zebo for the Irish team

If you're going to go on caps earned, then it would only be fair to point out that Barnes, Zebo and Earls haven't been stuck behind Brian O'Driscoll in the queue for gametime for their province.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Also, O'Malley has started 4 HEC matches and two as sub. He's suddenly ready for the international scene?

You must have been furious when Conor Murray was brought to the world cup so! Not to mention Felix Jones nearly making the squad! God wouldn't that have been a complete disaster! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

You must have been furious when Conor Murray was brought to the world cup so! Not to mention Felix Jones nearly making the squad! God wouldn't that have been a complete disaster! :pac:

You and those you have liked your post have just proved the hypocrisy that is much too prevalent on this board.

I would comfortably say that some of the posters currently calling for EOM to be playing 13 for Ireland in the 6N, are the same ones who were saying that Murray and Jones were too inexperienced to be playing for Ireland in the WC as they had no HC experience.

Sure, maybe EOM will have a handful of low-level HC games under his belt the time the 6N rolls around but, is there any discernible standard difference between those games and the Amlin and Magner's knockout games the Munster lads played in? I wouldn't say so..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

This thread:

Scottcartman.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

You're all getting worked up about this centre carry on too much.

Lets take a slightly back stepped perspective for a second. We are probably not going to win this 6 nations. Even if we do, it really doesn't matter, of all 6 nations this one is the least important.

We have a world class finisher in the shape of Earls, we have tried him at 13. There is some argument about whether or not it failed or succeeded. Why not try someone else. And if we were to put a good play maker inside earls surely it would be to his benefit?

That is... If earls makes the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

You and those you have liked your post have just proved the hypocrisy that is much too prevalent on this board.

I would comfortably say that some of the posters currently calling for EOM to be playing 13 for Ireland in the 6N, are the same ones who were saying that Murray and Jones were too inexperienced to be playing for Ireland in the WC as they had no HC experience.

Sure, maybe EOM will have a handful of low-level HC games under his belt the time the 6N rolls around but, is there any discernible standard difference between those games and the Amlin and Magner's knockout games the Munster lads played in? I wouldn't say so..

I wanted Murray and Jones in the world cup squad, I'd have O'Malley or Cave for Ireland in February (not sure which yet, probably Cave tbh). Can you please clarify why exactly you believe I am being hipocritical after a brief stop-off here, ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

2cm.

Would you argue that a peanut wasn't actually a nut? Because that's where you're getting to in this.

Sorry, I do agree with the point you were making here, (EOM is not too small for an international centre, I think he's a wonderful player) but I would like to point out that a peanut is actually not a nut but a legume. That's all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

I wanted Murray and Jones in the world cup squad, I'd have O'Malley or Cave for Ireland in February (not sure which yet, probably Cave tbh). Can you please clarify why exactly you believe I am being hipocritical after a brief stop-off here, ta.

Didn't really mean to call you a hypocrite but, rather say that your point displayed to me the hypocritical behaviour that's on all message boards. Proved was probably the wrong word in retrospect.

I'm not going to trawl through the threads to see who used Murray's/Jones' inexperience as a stick to beat them but, I'm just ignorantly assuming that there is some overlap between the posters who supported this and those who choose to ignore EOM's lack of experience.

Provincialism causing you to over-rate/ your own players is one thing and understandable but, using a completely different barometer to judge players from different provinces differently is just hypocrisy in my books.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement