Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

[Jackass] wrote: »
    There are a few future captains putting their hands up imo.

It'll be two more seasons before there is a new Irish captain, but I'd say at a very early stage Heaslip, O'Brien & even Sexton have their hands up (assuming he continues his rate of improvement and has cemented the jersey). No provincial bias, but no one else immediately springs to mind.

I wouldn't be surprised to see O'Driscoll giving up the captaincy after the World Cup, much like he did with Leinster, in order to concentrate on his own game. If that happens, Rory Best has to come into the frame;

a) guaranteed his starting spot
    b) experience of captaincy
    c) senior figure within the squad
    d) has a couple of years left in him (he's only 28)

There aren't too many other players who tick those boxes.

Edit: Just googled it, he actually turned 29 last month. Still, could well be around in four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Best fair play to him has raised his game over last few years after coming back from serious injury. Good in the scums, rucks and mauls. Even added some carrying lately it would seem. Plus his throws look to have improved (doesnt seem to have as many off days anymore). Farming background too like OBrien.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

If that happens, Rory Best has to come into the frame;

Interesting call. Best needs to maintain a level of performance to be considered. The same would go for Sexton.

Heaslip would seem to be the strongest candidate but again, this could be 2 years down the road.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Strauss will also come into consideration next year so best wont be guaranteed his place imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Strauss will also come into consideration next year so best wont be guaranteed his place imo.

Yeah and in 2 years- Sherry and Cronin could be making real claims. I would disagree with making Best captain, simply as it would guarantee his place when he mightn't be best option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

I wouldn't have been too surprised if the captaincy was mentioned off the record to Heaslip earlier this year when renegotiating his contract. He has long been rumoured as the natural successor to the POC/BOD/ROG triumverate. He was made Leinster captain this season in Cullen's absence and lead them to solid wins away to Saracens and home to Racing. I reckon the foundations are starting to be put in place for his emergence as captain in the next year; I think we'll see him take the armband for a game in the 2012 autumn series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Yeah and in 2 years- Sherry and Cronin could be making real claims. I would disagree with making Best captain, simply as it would guarantee his place when he mightn't be best option.

My point was that if BOD decides to give up the captaincy after the RWC, then Best would be the most logical choice; whether Sherry or Cronin can make the grade is completely hypothetical and while Strauss was far and away the best hooker in the country last season, can he repeat it? (and he doesn't qualify for another year anyway). So Rory Best IS guaranteed his spot for the foreseeable, he is a country mile ahead of his rivals in both ability and form; it might only be an interim job but whoever gets the armband is unlikely to be in situ for eight years like BOD has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

My point was that if BOD decides to give up the captaincy after the RWC, then Best would be the most logical choice; whether Sherry or Cronin can make the grade is completely hypothetical and while Strauss was far and away the best hooker in the country last season, can he repeat it? (and he doesn't qualify for another year anyway). So Rory Best IS guaranteed his spot for the foreseeable, he is a country mile ahead of his rivals in both ability and form; it might only be an interim job but whoever gets the armband is unlikely to be in situ for eight years like BOD has been.

I don't think he's the logical choice at all tbh...

POC might be getting on too but he's still likely to last longer than BOD and for another few years, he's further ahead of his competitors than Best is.

And Heaslip would seem to be the other obvious choice...he's going to be around for a long time, has done well at Leinster in that role and we know he has the potential to be one of the best 8s in the world. Might be playing a bit below that level now but he can reach it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

If POC is obviously going to be the next captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

danthefan wrote: »
    If POC is obviously going to be the next captain.

Is that a question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

[QUOTE='[Jackass];74620846']There are a few future captains putting their hands up imo.

It'll be two more seasons before there is a new Irish captain, but I'd say at a very early stage Heaslip, O'Brien & even Sexton have their hands up (assuming he continues his rate of improvement and has cemented the jersey). No provincial bias, but no one else immediately springs to mind.

I wouldn't be surprised to see O'Driscoll giving up the captaincy after the World Cup, much like he did with Leinster, in order to concentrate on his own game. If that happens, Rory Best has to come into the frame;

There aren't too many other players who tick those boxes.

Edit: Just googled it, he actually turned 29 last month. Still, could well be around in four years.

I'd love to see the captaincy go to one of the Leinster boys but PoC is miles ahead of everyone else

A) def
    B) lions captain!!!
    C) second only to BoD I would think
    D) look at Simon shaw - I would say PoC quite likely to be around for next wc

He has been a captain in waiting for years! Much like Darcy (probably had the capability to the second best 13 Ireland has ever produced but fated to have his career overlap with bod at both national and provincial level) PoC is a player who was (I'n some ways) unlucky to overlap with Bod. He would have 60 / 70 caps as captain over a 6 to 8 yr period if it wasn't for BoD. But as a second row he might still have time for 4 yrs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Great pic from Tommy Bowe of team training:

x2_8170d9c

More here.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

CiaranMT wrote: »

x2_8170d9c

More here.

They're all asking Johnny what's up with his kicking percentages?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

"Tony Buckley had a good outing against the Russians..." - Hugh Farrelly. Irish Independent. Wednesday 28 September 2011.

Pleeeeeeease tell me I'm not the only person who has a problem with this statement. I'm worried I'm losing my mind a little...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

CiaranMT wrote: »

x2_8170d9c

More here.

They are all wondering willn they have a mountain to climb on sunday..

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭flynninio

think he prob meant mushy had good outing as in mins on pitch if not sack him.

ambid wrote: »
    "Tony Buckley had a good outing against the Russians..." - Hugh Farrelly. Irish Independent. Wednesday 28 September 2011.

Pleeeeeeease tell me I'm not the only person who has a problem with this statement. I'm worried I'm losing my mind a little...

Farrelly clearly didn't watch the game so!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Well it was a great outing in terms of having a good day out. New Zealand is a marvellous country after all.
    He couldn't scrummage for sh1t though!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

ambid wrote: »

I have a problem with Farrelly. Full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭flynninio

i take it back as just read mr farrellys piece in full. laters hugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

The comments under the article are entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

I found Donncha Ryan's comments today a bit unusual. They sit in stark contrast to those of Trimble and ROG who desperately want to be on the pitch and think they're presence is deserved. He seems happier just to be out there and, when getting a shot, is more worried about screwing up than pushing his case. Probably not an accurate representation of his thoughts but I found the comments curious and fairly negative towards himself. When asked about being the guy that was in the 22 for both opening matches and being the only one not to get on the pitch:

"I wouldn’t shirk the answer, I was disappointed not to be brought on but it was definitely the right decision because they needed every minute they could get, the lads on the field,” said Ryan. “Donncha (O’Callaghan) was doing well, Paul was doing well, and if I was to go on it would have killed another minute when we were chasing a bonus point (against the US) and Deccie was dead right."

And in relation to the Russian game:

“To get into the squad, sometimes I think I’m the luckiest man in the world so you’re foaming at the mouth at the weekend to get going and make it count and when you’re in that scenario, not to give away loads of penalties.”

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ryan is in a fair different position than Trimble and ROG as they are both certain starters for their provinces and are very viable alternatives to the Ireland starters in their positions.

It's only this season where you could say he became first choice and this was at 6 not in the second row.

As a new player in any environment one of the first thing you're worried about is not screwing up. While Ryan may have been around a while he doesn't have the experience at international level so would still be classed as a new player in my opinion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Agreed Donnacha Ryan is 4th choice lock and competing to be first choice 6 at munster. I think he considers himself lucky to be in the squad even if he doesn't get on the field which is fair enough but I would have hoped for some more ambition from him

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Some people will complain about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Hear, hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,884 ✭✭✭✭phog

keane2097 wrote: »
    Some people will complain about anything.

True.

ROG threw and hissy fit and should have been sent home, hardly a word about Trimble and then Donnahca Ryan is not nearly ambitious enough. :eek:

Anyone see a pattern?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Any team rumours?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

phog wrote: »
    Anyone see a pattern?

You're paranoid?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Any team rumours?

Have you been under a rock all week? ROG and Murray starting by all accounts, POC doubtful, as you were otherwise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement