Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,602 ✭✭✭✭walshb

When one looks back at the game I think it is fair to say that we had a fair bit of ball, pressured a whole lot and got to their line several times. We threatened a lot, more than they did. Our little errors and inability to get the ball over the line was the difference. Major welsh defence. I know this is stating the obvious. But, no way was there a gulf in class. Can't wait for the 6 nations now. We'll beat them at Croker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

walshb wrote: »
    When one looks back at the game I think it is fair to say that we had a fair bit of ball, pressured a whole lot and got to their line several times. We threatened a lot, more than they did. Our little errors and inability to get the ball over the line was the difference. Major welsh defence. I know this is stating the obvious. But, no way was there a gulf in class. Can't wait for the 6 nations now. We'll beat them at Croker.

Who gives a **** if we beat them in croker yay :rolleyes:
    maybe the Aviva
    there a young team who will only get better

sickpuppy wrote: »
    Who gives a **** if we beat them in croker yay :rolleyes:
    maybe the Aviva
    there a young team who will only get better

Aviva. I give a **** if we beat them at Aviva. So, does a 6N win mean zero to you?

Aviva. I give a **** if we beat them at Aviva. So, does a 6N win mean zero to you?

Right now it feels like getting in the car to Disneyland, falling asleep, and waking up at Funderland

Right now it feels like getting in the car to Disneyland, falling asleep, and waking up at Funderland

Can't argue with that analogy. Spot on. But, like everything, the loss will soon be forgotten, and the best rugby tourny in the world will be underway.
    Revenge in Aviva.

• Advertisement

Can't argue with that analogy. Spot on. But, like everything, the loss will soon be forgotten, and the best rugby tourny in the world will be underway.
    Revenge in Aviva.

jesus. Funderland was closed and now I'm at the amusements in Bray putting 20c pieces into a machine with a moving shelf of 20c pieces.

jesus. Funderland was closed and now I'm at the amusements in Bray putting 20c pieces into a machine with a moving shelf of 20c pieces.

2nd best I should have said.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I happily take another 4 years of winning the wooden spoon just for one more go at Wales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 dizzler

Jesus! The vast majority who are now slating dec kidney and even o Driscoll o Connell and all the boys are the same people who have been posted and more then likely tweeting the Irish team "what legends they are". It embarassing. Armchair critics really piss me off. Those lads put their bodies on the line for years and no more then the last two months. But you probably watched that while sitting in your boxers with a big breakfast roll in your hand. Think about it.

dizzler wrote: »
    Jesus! The vast majority who are now slating dec kidney and even o Driscoll o Connell and all the boys are the same people who have been posted and more then likely tweeting the Irish team "what legends they are". It embarassing. Armchair critics really piss me off. Those lads put their bodies on the line for years and no more then the last two months. But you probably watched that while sitting in your boxers with a big breakfast roll in your hand. Think about it.

how?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'd happily put my body on the line playing a sport for 100k+ a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

Yawn! They're professional sportsmen and they ask their fans to essentially become stakeholders by buying tickets, jerseys, spending countless thousands supporting them abroad, etc, etc.

Genuine fans, far from keeping their mouths shut and just 'getting behind the team' regardless, have every right to criticise them or their management if they're under performing or are being badly managed.

Those lads put their bodies on the line for a handsome salary. Just like I go into work every day and break my back. If I perform badly and the people who pay my salary criticise me, then that's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

I never understand this attitude. I am allowed to praise a team but not critisize?

What's the difference? Also as someone above rightly pointed out we are the people who pay their wages with tickets, jerseys even my tax's pay their wages and even just watching tv adds to the pool.

Also if you don't want to hear ridiculous statements and changes of mood then the internet probably isn't the best place for you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

While the cash I spend on tickets, jersies etc pays their 6 figure salaries.

Also of course I watched it in my boxers. It was six am on a Saturday!!!

Those lads put their bodies on the line for a handsome salary. Just like I go into work every day and break my back. If I perform badly and the people who pay my salary criticise me, then that's life.

What do you do in your job that is comparable to the risks that those lads take on the pitch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

What do you do in your job that is comparable to the risks that those lads take on the pitch?

Risks? They're playing rugby for a living and getting paid for it. I played for 20 years for fun! Maybe not at the same level/not taking the same risks but hey, I wasn't being paid! My job is nowhere near as glamorous, I work a lot of 12 hour days without overtime and I get criticised if I make a balls up. That's life.

Of course our national and provincial players are our heroes and we admire them. I just don't think at that level that they or the management should be impervious to criticism, particularly when there are obvious issues that need to be addressed.

Risks? They're playing rugby for a living and getting paid for it. I played for 20 years for fun! Maybe not at the same level/not taking the same risks but hey, I wasn't being paid! My job is nowhere near as glamorous, I work a lot of 12 hour days without overtime and I get criticised if I make a balls up. That's life.

Of course our national and provincial players are our heroes and we admire them. I just don't think at that level that they or the management should be impervious to criticism, particularly when there are obvious issues that need to be addressed.

I agree. Yes, criticism can certainly be levided at them. I guess what irks me is when folks cross the line from structured criticism and valid points, to downright slagging those lads. That has been happening. The lads are giving it their all for this counrty, a country of 6 million, in what is still a minority sport on this island.

Of course at times they fail, and when it's down to silly errors or bad calls we can query this, but rugby is a sport almost like no other. The slightest error or call or bounce of the ball can change a result.

Why is it in this country that we come down so hard on the lads because they lose a freaking match? Wales live for the game, breathe the game and are a very good side. We lost yesterday to them and some of the reaction is so ridiculously OTT. We didn't fire on all cylinders. I think we lacked that passion and fire from other games. But, that is life, and sometimes it happens, and happens to the best teams in any sport.

Reading words like disgraceful, pathetic, embarrassing in describing the efforts and talents of the lads on that pitch, IS pathetic, disgraceful and embarrassing. Who are these peope to label the efforts of our men on the pitch in such a nasty way?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I agree. Yes, criticism can certainly be levided at them. I guess what irks me is when folks cross the line from structured criticism and valid points, to downright slagging those lads. That has been happening. The lads are giving it their all for this counrty, a country of 6 million, in what is still a minority sport on this island.

Of course at times they fail, and when it's down to silly errors or bad calls we can query this, but rugby is a sport almost like no other. The slightest error or call or bounce of the ball can change a result.

Why is it in this country that we come down so hard on the lads because they lose a freaking match? Wales live for the game, breathe the game and are a very good side. We lost yesterday to them and some of the reaction is so ridiculously OTT. We didn't fire on all cylinders. I think we lacked that passion and fire from other games. But, that is life, and sometimes it happens, and happens to the best teams in any sport.

Reading words like disgraceful, pathetic, embarrassing in describing the efforts and talents of the lads on that pitch, IS pathetic, disgraceful and embarrassing. Who are these peope to label the efforts of our men on the pitch in such a nasty way?

100% with walshb here. So what if the lads get paid for it? They've done us proud and represented us in the top 8 of the world, and often tussle with the top 4. What other sport do we achieve that? And that's a huge feat considering it's not even considered a number one sport here and still has (wrongly) stigma associated with it in regards to it being an 'elite' sport (load of bull imo).

Criticism is fine. But belittling the squad/staff is another thing all together.

Also, there must be a fine line between expectancy and bitterness.

Look at Tonga. They had a HUGE opportunity to go through to the Q4's, it was on a plate imo, and they chose to ignore it as they were more keen on closing the game out and securing a historic win against France. I'd say they'll have a hugely positive reception after that. But if it happened to Ireland they'd be called all the names under the sun by alot of Irish supporters.

I guess the fickleness of the Irish rugby supporter gets to me. Stick with them through thick and thin. Analysis is all when and good when it's objective and reasoned, but the majority of it aimed towards the Irish team after we lose something is neither of those things.

The harshness of this lose really is that some our of best players, especially BOD, will never get to play in a WC again and never get to say that they achieved something no other Irish team has.

The reality is there is another WC in 2015 and one after than in 2019 etc., etc... Who says we won't be serious contenders with a fresh team then?

(P.S: Buying a jersey does not give you the right to rubbish a squad performance imo)

Is it ok that I've slated them all along? :P

• Advertisement

pajunior wrote: »
    Is it ok that I've slated them all along? :P

Yes. I am big admirer of consistency!;)

.ak wrote: »

Also, there must be a fine line between expectancy and bitterness.

(P.S: Buying a jersey does not give you the right to rubbish a squad performance imo)

Your whole post was spot on, but wow, these two points are just perfection!

Well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

I agree. Yes, criticism can certainly be levided at them. I guess what irks me is when folks cross the line from structured criticism and valid points, to downright slagging those lads. That has been happening

Thats the Irish for ya. Fairweather til doomsday.
    All mouth and trousers.

I don't normally root for Wales, but seeing as they beat us, and the NZ and Aus team are still there, I will cheer them on. I wonder if they do win will folks maybe realsie that we are a very very good team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

JustinDee wrote: »
    Thats the Irish for ya. Fairweather til doomsday.
    All mouth and trousers.

Wow

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Saw an interview wih Schmidt this morning where he said he wouldn't rule out taking on the backs coach role in addition to his roles with Leinster but he hadn't be approached regarding the position.

Another article mentioned that Eric Elwood of Connacht appeared to be the IRFU's first choice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Saw an interview wih Schmidt this morning where he said he wouldn't rule out taking on the backs coach role in addition to his roles with Leinster but he hadn't be approached regarding the position.

Yea, I saw that, interesting enough
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/schmidt-open-to-idea-of-ireland-coaching-role-2913235.html

As an Ireland fan it would be great but it could be difficult issue to balance for him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

I don't normally root for Wales, but seeing as they beat us, and the NZ and Aus team are still there, I will cheer them on. I wonder if they do win will folks maybe realsie that we are a very very good team.

Sadly, this wasn't the case. Wales finished fourth of the four semifinalists. What that says about the Ireland team, I'm not sure, but I suspect it's hard to draw a positive from it. We lost convincingly to the fourth-placed semifinalist.

Would be great news if Schmidt could combine Leinster with the Ireland backs coach job, but I'm not certain it's doable. Going by past interviews with the man, he seems to work a huge amount of hours at Leinster; he may not have the time to do it. Apparently he told his wife he'd be golfing once a week over here, and he's played once full stop since he arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,729 ✭✭✭✭phog

Sadly, this wasn't the case. Wales finished fourth of the four semifinalists. What that says about the Ireland team, I'm not sure, but I suspect it's hard to draw a positive from it. We lost convincingly to the fourth-placed semifinalist.

Would be great news if Schmidt could combine Leinster with the Ireland backs coach job, but I'm not certain it's doable. Going by past interviews with the man, he seems to work a huge amount of hours at Leinster; he may not have the time to do it. Apparently he told his wife he'd be golfing once a week over here, and he's played once full stop since he arrived.

You really cant draw a comparison.

I'd backed Sexton or ROG to have have the balls to go for a drop goal in the dying minutes of a W/C semifinal to get us into a final. Wales finsihed in 4th place because they missed penalties, conversions and no one would go for the vital D/G. Yesterday, Williams even tried one as Jones again wasnt in the position.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Really sickened about the result of Wales game and its been 2 weeks, Still havent got over it, Really should have been us in the final, Why couldnt Warbuton have speared ROG why couldnt Jones have gone off against us, But what really annoys me of the game is that we were on their line as much as them we just didnt take our chances, Now back to crying some more

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement