Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

****, big blow to Ireland.

Absolutely gutted for him, spoke to him a few months ago and he was really positive about the World Cup. :(

Sherry should be on the plane instead of Varley.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Hayley1

ROG is Irelands number 10.
    Pleased we are saving him on the bench to win the other games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Hayley1 wrote: »
    ROG is Irelands number 10.

As a statement that's wrong, sexton was picked to start at 10.

As your opinion it's a valid one, but you should back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

WeeBushy wrote: »
    As a statement that's wrong, sexton was picked to start at 10.

As your opinion it's a valid one, but you should back it up.

It's a valid opinion but from a 4 post wonder he is probably here to troll or is some big Munster-till-he-dies nut.

They both have positives that cover each others negatives. Together they are stronger than as a single player. I don't mind which one starts because either one coming on from the bench is fantastic. I do think O'Gara offers more coming from the bench though.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

Teferi wrote: »
    It's a valid opinion but from a 4 post wonder he is probably here to troll or is some big Munster-till-he-dies nut.

They both have positives that cover each others negatives. Together they are stronger than as a single player. I don't mind which one starts because either one coming on from the bench is fantastic. I do think O'Gara offers more coming from the bench though.

I have to disagree, I would much rather have a settled half back pairing with an average player covering then our current situation. Can't be good for the individual or team mentality when the out-half doesn't know if he is suddenly going to be hooked during a game or dropped before another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Terrible news about the Fla. Hopefully this won't be the end of him and he can manage to get back to a good level of fitness again. Gutted for him and Wallace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

It really is bad news about Flannery it means we really are relying on Best now as Cronin has not shown good form for Ireland when he has come on beofore.
    So now we cannot afford to loose Ross and Best in the front row.....

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Malmedicine

Zactly!

Togther, they are
    536166995_small.jpg

They have them the wrong way round . Portman was an original mighty duck and is on the left. Fulton is a newbie USA Might Duck two on the right!!!!!! Off topic hilarity :D

On topic. If this tactic of have 3 ball carrying bruisers of a backrow is going to work. 1 thing and 1 thing only must happen. They must (IMPERATIVE MUST) get over the gain line. This makes the opposition join from behind the gate (unless your McCaw where gates are able to bend matrix style) adding maybe 1 to 2 secs before they can get their gruppy mits on them. In this regard it probably wont be Pocock who will have the most say but the rest of the Aussie back row about whether the collisions are won or lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

They have them the wrong way round . Portman was an original mighty duck and is on the left. Fulton is a newbie USA Might Duck two on the right!!!!!! Off topic hilarity :D

I think that the IRFU need to open contract negotiations with Emilio Estavez:D

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Malmedicine

Cool_CM wrote: »
    I think that the IRFU need to open contract negotiations with Emilio Estavez:D

Surely you mean coach Bombay, not emilio brother of wacko Charlie. Bombay would be brilliant. He'd come in and the team would be useless (Ireland presently) they be losing all the time (except against US of A), then he'd show them what it was to be a team and how to BE BETTER THAN THE SUM OF YOUR PARTS (hopefully what happens on Saturday). We would then go on a crazy sequence of results and just manage to get to playoffs (squeeze past Italy). In the Play offs we'd do well against the other sides swotting them aside and in the final with time running out we'd score a try to beat the heavily fancied team (New Zealand or maybe its Austrailia who hockey us in the second match but they get their comeupance) . He'd also discover a diamond in the rough (Ferg) and turn him into a matchwinner. He'd also get a old German guy to help out and show the meaning of teamwork and respect (Gert is old and his name sounds German).

BASICALLY WE REALLY NEED A COACH BOMBAY

Wow we could really do with a Coach Bombay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

Surely you mean coach Bombay, not emilio brother of wacko Charlie. Bombay would be brilliant. He'd come in and the team would be useless (Ireland presently) they be losing all the time (except against US of A), then he'd show them what it was to be a team and how to BE BETTER THAN THE SUM OF YOUR PARTS (hopefully what happens on Saturday). We would then go on a crazy sequence of results and just manage to get to playoffs (squeeze past Italy). In the Play offs we'd do well against the other sides swotting them aside and in the final with time running out we'd score a try to beat the heavily fancied team (New Zealand or maybe its Austrailia who hockey us in the second match but they get their comeupance) . He'd also discover a diamond in the rough (Ferg) and turn him into a matchwinner. He'd also get a old German guy to help out and show the meaning of teamwork and respect (Gert is old and his name sounds German).

BASICALLY WE REALLY NEED A COACH BOMBAY

Wow we could really do with a Coach Bombay

When's this movie coming out. XD

I'd like to see:
    Court, Cronin, Buckley, DOC, Cullen, Ferris, O'Brien, Heaslip;
    Murray, ROG, Trimble, Sexton, BOD, Bowe, Kearney

Bench: Best, Healy, POC, Leamy, Boss, McFadden, Earls

I say we give the ROG-Sexton combination at 10/12 another go. With D'Arcy out it could be a solution.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

McFadden ahead of BOD and Ryan ahead of DOC and Varley on the bench. Give Varley 20 minutes after dragging him out there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I think Leamy and Jennings will start at 6 and 7 respectively against the Russians along with McFadden, Trimble, Boss and Murphy all to come in for Darcy, Bod, Reddan and Kearney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭swordofislam

I'd like to see:
    Court, Cronin, Buckley, DOC, Cullen, Ferris, O'Brien, Heaslip;
    Murray, ROG, Trimble, Sexton, BOD, Bowe, Kearney

Bench: Best, Healy, POC, Leamy, Boss, McFadden, Earls

I say we give the ROG-Sexton combination at 10/12 another go. With D'Arcy out it could be a solution.
    Might just might now be a good chance to rest BOD and Ferris

McFadden ahead of BOD and Ryan ahead of DOC and Varley on the bench. Give Varley 20 minutes after dragging him out there

BOD has to start at 13 if a new 10/12 combination is tried IMO. He's gonna start in the big games therefore should be there for the 'warm-up'.

Scans have confirmed that Gordon D'Arcy and Paul O'Connell both picked up hamstring strains following the victory over Australia on Saturday.

The duo will be monitored over the coming days on the progress of their recovery.

No decision on their availability for the game against Russia on Sunday next will be made until the team is announced in the early hours of Friday, Irish time.

The Irish squad enjoyed a down day on Monday following the transfer of their team base from Auckland to Lake Taupo as they prepare for their clash with the Russians

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/worldcup/2011/0919/ireland_darcy_oconnell.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

BOD has to start at 13 if a new 10/12 combination is tried IMO. He's gonna start in the big games therefore should be there for the 'warm-up'.

disagree, if we're facing potentially 3 huge games in 3 weeks with Italy, QF and potentially a semi final then we need to rest as many of our front line players for next weekend and keep them fresh for the QF.

if they played next weekend they'd potentially be expected to play to a high standard 5 weeks running which is asking for trouble and us putting in a lethargic lacklustre performance in the quarters.

We've got a squad, lets us it.

only players i'd want to see start against russia from the Oz match are Kearney, Bowe, DOC, Reddan and maybe healy and SOB

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Welsh full-back James Hook looks set to miss his side's last two pool games and potentially a quarter-final due to a shoulder injury.

Hook was forced of the field at half-time during his side's key 17-10 win over Samoa on Sunday and initial reports suggest that the injury will see him out of action for the immediate future.

Like Hook, flanker Dan Lydiate will undergo a scan on Monday after rolling his ankle during the match.

"They're going for scans. It's a little bit clearer what James has - he's done his AC (acromioclavicular) joint, whereas Dan has to go for a scan today and we'll know more after that," said assistant coach Shaun Edwards.

"Dan is still in a moon boot, but they put moon boots on everything these days. James is a bit easier to read because he's done his AC joint."

Edwards said that it appeared that Hook had suffered grade one or two damage to the joint, an injury that "usually means two or three weeks" on the sidelines.

If that proves the case, the former Ospreys man will miss next week's clash will Namibia, Wales' final pool game against Fiji six days later and possibly a quarter-final.

Looks like Wales could be missing Hook and Lydiate for the quarter final. If we're playing them without those players then thats a huge boost for us. I have a feeling they might push themselves back for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

Looks like Wales could be missing Hook and Lydiate for the quarter final. If we're playing them without those players then thats a huge boost for us. I have a feeling they might push themselves back for it though.

No doubt Wales will view a quarter final against Ireland as their best chance in quite a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

My Team Vs Russia
    1. T. Court
    2. S. Cronin
    3. T. Buckley
    4. D. Ryan
    5. L. Cullen
    6. D. Leamy
    7. S. Jennings
    8. J. Heaslip
    9. C. Murray
    10. R O'Gara
    11. K. Earls
    12. P. Wallace
    13. A. Trimble
    14. F. McFadden
    15. G. Murphy

16. D. Varley
    17. C. Healy
    18. D. O'Callaghan
    19. S. O'Brien
    20. I. Boss
    21. G. D'Arcy
    22. R. Kearney

Some players are included to give them gametime [Cronin, Court, Leamy etc.] as they may be needed off the bench in our games later. Some players are there to rest our first option in that position [Ryan, Buckley, Wallace]. Finally, I chose Trimble in the centre to not only rest BOD, but to check another option at 13. I know he was shown up badly a few years ago in that position, but honestly, I believe his defense would be better than Earls in that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I dunno. I'd have to pick a team I know that can put a bonus point against Russia. There's a fine line between cotton-wooling your players and derailing momentum. Certain players need a run out, whilst certain players need to stay on. My 22:
    1. Court
    2. Cronin
    3. Ross
    4. DOC
    5. Cullen
    6. Ferris
    7. Jennings
    8. Leamy
    9. Boss
    10. Sexton
    11. Trimble
    12. McFadden
    13. BOD
    14. Bowe
    15. Murphy
    16. Buckley
    17. Varley
    18. Ryan
    19. Heaslip
    20. Murray
    21. ROG
    22. Earls

REASONING:

Front Row:
    Buckley cannot scrummage and thus should not start. This is a Russian side who pride themselves on their tight 5. We cannot show up on the day presuming we'll win the scrum after last saturday. Buckley may be effective off the bench considering fatigue and fitness issues with Russia. This front row, will, in my opinion be solid and turn penalties.

Second Row:
    DOC needs more game time, he's on a roll and momentum is key to this guy's form.. POC just needs some rest, simple as. Cullen needs a decent win under his belt in an Irish jersey.

Back Row:
    Ferris will be needed for some go forward ball if we rest SOB. Jennings needs to show us he can turn-over ball on the grand stage, and Heaslip needs atleast 50 min on the bench to put things into perspective. Leamy to start at 8 because he needs to be match fit if he's gonna be our bench in big matches.

Halves:
    Boss needs to start, and it's the perfect game to do that. By name, by nature; Boss will boss the ruck with his physicality, and won't be put off by big Russian props and flankers bashing the ruck. This is where Murray would fail in my opinion - he'll lose his head when that happens. Sexton needs to get his kicking game on. I predict a lot of penalties in this match. I can only presume his kicking is off because of the ball - surely he's striking them well in training? Is he not hitting the sweet spot at the event? If so, he needs to start, for more match practice.

Wings:
    Again physicality is key. Trimble is a big fella, and if BOD needs to come off can be moved around without much issue. Bowe needs another game as he seems to be improving with more games under his belt.

Centers:
    BOD is one of those types that just needs more games to stay match fit. Unfortunately that's the risk we need to take, and just hopes he doesn't commit to any mad tackles and his shoulder gets better. But I think resting him will put him out of sorts. He'll also want to be selected due to wanting to take every match in the WC by the horns. McFadden needs a game now - and at 12, not on the wing. He needs to show that when Darce is fit, he should be atleast wearing the 22 jersey.

Full Back:
    Murphy also needs a decent game under his belt. He's experience with controlling the back 3 is immense. Kearney needs a rest. Altho I'm torn between benching Earls at 22 (who can cover FB if needed) or having Kearney on the bench at 22 so he can get some more game time in the last 30.

Ofcourse, this is just my 22. In Kidney's 22 we'll probably just see P. Wallace, ROG, Murray, and Buckley starting. In my opinion that could be our undoing and cracks will begin to resurface.

A pity for Hook. He's one of my favorite players. But potentially good news for us...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

Up to 6th place in the rankings lads! Probably a fairer assessment of our actual skill. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

.ak wrote: »
    I dunno. I'd have to pick a team I know that can put a bonus point against Russia. There's a fine line between cotton-wooling your players and derailing momentum. Certain players need a run out, whilst certain players need to stay on. My 22:
    1. Court
    2. Cronin
    3. Ross
    4. DOC
    5. Cullen
    6. Ferris
    7. Jennings
    8. Leamy
    9. Boss
    10. Sexton
    11. Trimble
    12. McFadden
    13. BOD
    14. Bowe
    15. Murphy
    16. Buckley
    17. Varley
    18. Ryan
    19. Heaslip
    20. Murray
    21. ROG
    22. Earls

REASONING:

Front Row:
    Buckley cannot scrummage and thus should not start. This is a Russian side who pride themselves on their tight 5. We cannot show up on the day presuming we'll win the scrum after last saturday. Buckley may be effective off the bench considering fatigue and fitness issues with Russia. This front row, will, in my opinion be solid and turn penalties.

Second Row:
    DOC needs more game time, he's on a roll and momentum is key to this guy's form.. POC just needs some rest, simple as. Cullen needs a decent win under his belt in an Irish jersey.

Back Row:
    Ferris will be needed for some go forward ball if we rest SOB. Jennings needs to show us he can turn-over ball on the grand stage, and Heaslip needs atleast 50 min on the bench to put things into perspective. Leamy to start at 8 because he needs to be match fit if he's gonna be our bench in big matches.

Halves:
    Boss needs to start, and it's the perfect game to do that. By name, by nature; Boss will boss the ruck with his physicality, and won't be put off by big Russian props and flankers bashing the ruck. This is where Murray would fail in my opinion - he'll lose his head when that happens. Sexton needs to get his kicking game on. I predict a lot of penalties in this match. I can only presume his kicking is off because of the ball - surely he's striking them well in training? Is he not hitting the sweet spot at the event? If so, he needs to start, for more match practice.

Wings:
    Again physicality is key. Trimble is a big fella, and if BOD needs to come off can be moved around without much issue. Bowe needs another game as he seems to be improving with more games under his belt.

Centers:
    BOD is one of those types that just needs more games to stay match fit. Unfortunately that's the risk we need to take, and just hopes he doesn't commit to any mad tackles and his shoulder gets better. But I think resting him will put him out of sorts. He'll also want to be selected due to wanting to take every match in the WC by the horns. McFadden needs a game now - and at 12, not on the wing. He needs to show that when Darce is fit, he should be atleast wearing the 22 jersey.

Full Back:
    Murphy also needs a decent game under his belt. He's experience with controlling the back 3 is immense. Kearney needs a rest. Altho I'm torn between benching Earls at 22 (who can cover FB if needed) or having Kearney on the bench at 22 so he can get some more game time in the last 30.

Ofcourse, this is just my 22. In Kidney's 22 we'll probably just see P. Wallace, ROG, Murray, and Buckley starting. In my opinion that could be our undoing and cracks will begin to resurface.

Kearney is first choice and needs games, he should start.
    Ferris needs to be wrapped up, one heavy bang on the knee and he's out of the tournament. His display Saturday showed how important he is. Start Leamy at 6.
    Heaslip to start at 8, with SOB on the bench to cover 6 & 8.
    Ross needs rest, he showed during the 6N that he doesn't have the fitness to play (fingers crossed) three international games in a row - potentially Russia, Italy, Wales. I'd start Buckley/Court with Healy on the bench to bring on if things go pear shaped.
    BODs shoulder is fecked, he could do without tackling 2 tonne Russian fronts this weekend.
    I'd start Varley, he's a better lineout thrower than Cronin. Set piece will be important this weekend.

Court
    Varley
    Buckley - with serious reservations... maybe Healy/Court?
    DOC
    Cullen
    Leamy
    Jennings
    Heaslip

Boss
    ROG
    McFadden (IC)
    Earls (OC)
    Trimble
    Bowe
    Kearney

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

B0X wrote: »
    Up to 6th place in the rankings lads! Probably a fairer assessment of our actual skill. :pac:

We've a rating of 82.50. The Cayman Islands have a rating of 41.23 so we're twice the team they are!

padraig.od wrote: »
    Ferris needs to be wrapped up, one heavy bang on the knee and he's out of the tournament. His display Saturday showed how important he is. Start Leamy at 6.
    Ross needs rest, he showed during the 6N that he doesn't have the fitness to play (fingers crossed) three international games in a row - potentially Russia, Italy, Wales. I'd start Buckley/Court with Healy on the bench to bring on if things go pear shaped.
    BODs shoulder is fecked, he could do without tackling 2 tonne Russian fronts this weekend.
    I'd start Varley, he's a better lineout thrower than Cronin. Set piece will be important this weekend.

Court
    Varley
    DOC
    Cullen
    Leamy
    Jennings
    Heaslip

Boss
    ROG
    McFadden (IC)
    Earls (OC)
    Trimble
    Bowe
    Kearney

I get ya... But I think Heaslip needs bench time. Maybe start SOB at 8? He's only played one game (albeit massively)

Starting Buckley would be disastrous for us. The guy is seriously unfit. He won't last 50 min against the Russians.

Earls has been tried and tested at center. It doesn't work. The guy is a doormat and can't bury people. I'd rather have Trimble there, but that would sacrifice moving a pretty on-form wing out of spot. Maybe have Bowe at outside center...

Kearney is a tough call. I don't think he should start, I can see him being put under serious pressure and forcing another injury. But he does need game time, that's for sure. Bench him.

padraig.od wrote: »

Court
    Varley
    DOC
    Cullen
    Leamy
    Jennings
    Heaslip

Boss
    ROG
    McFadden (IC)
    Earls (OC)
    Trimble
    Bowe
    Kearney

+1, i'd agree with all this, except i'd keep earls out of the center, wallace and mcfadden in center with bowe & trimble on wings.

.ak wrote: »
    I get ya... But I think Heaslip needs bench time. Maybe start SOB at 8? He's only played one game (albeit massively)

Starting Buckley would be disastrous for us. The guy is seriously unfit. He won't last 50 min against the Russians.

Earls has been tried and tested at center. It doesn't work. The guy is a doormat and can't bury people. I'd rather have Trimble there, but that would sacrifice moving a pretty on-form wing out of spot. Maybe have Bowe at outside center...

Kearney is a tough call. I don't think he should start, I can see him being put under serious pressure and forcing another injury. But he does need game time, that's for sure. Bench him.

remember Heaslip only started 2 of the warm ups and only lasted 30 mins against England, he could do with the game time but i'd quite happily see the majority of our front line players rested this weekend and us scrape a 10 point win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TheHighRoad

1.Court
    2.Cronin
    3.Buckley
    4.Cullen
    5.O'Callaghan
    6.Leamy
    7.Jennings
    8.Heaslip
    9.Boss
    10.O'Gara