Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

McFadden should get a start at 12. If D'Arcy is missing all of the warm ups then there are three games left for Wallace and McFadden. Alternate them at 12 for the next two games and give the better one the final game. I don't think McFadden is the next in line replacement for BOD so there is no point in playing him with Wallace again. That's what I would do anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Does anyone know when the team for the weekend is announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Stev_o wrote: »
    Wot.

Care to list his many starts at 12 for Leinster for the pass two years where he's proven himself to be international standard?
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    He has played in the Heineken Cup you're right. He has only one start at 12 and his only other starts were on the wing though. His total time in the Heineken cup final was 12 mins.

The season before last 09-10 he played 26mins of Heineken cup rugby.

I do think he is very talented but also feel that people are mistaking the amount of game time he has in the centre for the big games.

@Stev_o - clearly McFadden can only prove himself capable at the highest level to which he has to date played regularly. He has proven himself highly competent at Heineken and Pro12 level.

@Cat - you make a good point as most of McFadden's games have been in the Pro12, and I'm sure we'd all agree the standard of opposition is less than Heineken Cup.

However I still think it's reasonable to claim McFadden has proven himself at the highest standard to which he has played to date, but he clearly has yet to prove himself an international class center.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the team for the weekend is announced?

lunch time thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

McFadden is massively talented, but hasn't proven it at inside center a level yet to justify taking him over Wallace. In my opinion that is.

I think the only time McFadden started at 12 in the Heineken Cup was when D'Arcy got injured the night before the Saracens game? Might be incorrect there.

Unless of course, he's taken as a winger, which I'd again disagree with given it would be at the expense of Trimble or Fitzgerald.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Reading the Tigers board, trying to get some information on how the Montpellier game was going and it seems Murphy took a knock and had to come off. No more information than that really but if he's even ruled out for a fortnight I think he can kiss his chances of travelling goodbye and Jones will be looking very likely to travel.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think the only time McFadden started at 12 in the Heineken Cup was when D'Arcy got injured the night before the Saracens game? Might be incorrect there.

Thats the only game he has started at 12. He is very talented I agree but so far this season he has shown that talent on the wing. When you think about it alot of good inside backs make their international debuts and get their first few caps on the wing. Mortlock, Nonu and Umaga spring to mind. Then when they get a bit of experience they move to centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

GerM wrote: »
    Reading the Tigers board, trying to get some information on how the Montpellier game was going and it seems Murphy took a knock and had to come off. No more information than that really but if he's even ruled out for a fortnight I think he can kiss his chances of travelling goodbye and Jones will be looking very likely to travel.

I was watching it.

He was in a ruck and seemed to twist a knee or ankle or something. Could have been taken off as a precaution. He walked off the pitch unassisted and didn't seem to be limping. He got through 55 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

I was watching it.

He was in a ruck and seemed to twist a knee or ankle or something. Could have been taken off as a precaution. He walked off the pitch unassisted and didn't seem to be limping. He got through 55 minutes.

He tweeted about 2 hours ago about how well his foot felt and was happy with his 55 minutes. Good news there. France on the weekend could be too soon at this stage but things are looking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,425 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

IIRC McFadden played centre alongside O'Malley in one of the pool games

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

AdamD wrote: »
    IIRC McFadden played centre alongside O'Malley in one of the pool games

No, both O'Malley and McFadden started the away game in Clermont but McFadden was on the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭part time punk

Had an email from 02, they have free tickets to an open Ireland training session at half nine on Thursday August 25th in the Aviva on ticketmaster. I couldn't get any when I tried earlier but they should be up there. Some of ye may be interested.

Thornley's article on the Irish selection reveals that Bowe isn't fit and hasn't trained fully for 2 weeks which is a slight concern but should be back next week. I'm sure he'll get 80 minutes against England.

Thornley also makes some good points about game time which is nice given I think his articles have been of a very low quality recently. POC is on the bench and is in more need of game time than 90% of the squad. He has 12 starts in 17 months. I would have thought he would need more time on the pitch. Can see him perhaps getting 40 minutes this weekend and he'll need every minute.

Also interestingly, he says that, following this weekend, only 3 fit players from the 44 man squad won't have had any game time for country or province after this weekend. Given that he details the injuries in the squad and a quick glance at the Munster/Connacht line ups shows who has been released, one would have to assume that Wilkinson, Wallace and Jennings are the fit players not involved at this point.

one would have to assume that Wilkinson, Wallace and Jennings are the fit players not involved at this point.

If true this is madness. So we'll have played 2 out of the 4 games and neither of our 7s will have had any gametime. So Leamy travels to NZ be on the bench/playing some games and Jennings is left at home scratching himself. Lots of 6s/8s in the squad and only Wallace as a (non traditional) 7) Just like 2007. The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭phog

If true this is madness. So we'll have played 2 out of the 4 games and neither of our 7s will have had any gametime. So Leamy travels to NZ be on the bench/playing some games and Jennings is left at home scratching himself. Lots of 6s/8s in the squad and only Wallace as a (non traditional) 7) Just like 2007. The mind boggles.

5 games

Or 4 games before the squad has to be announed

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭LostPassword

I assume that Kidney always had POC and Wallace pencilled in for the last 2 games and as they're both precious and on the wrong side of 30, he doesn't want to overplay them and risk them picking up an injury.

Jennings was injured until this week - he may not have fully recovered yet but I would agree that his lack of inclusion thusfar looks bad for his chances. In fairness I don't think the Irish management have ever really rated him so I was never expecting him to be on the plane anyway.

Or 4 games before the squad has to be announed

agreed but there is a purpose in the English game too, it's surely more than getting bums on seats in the Aviva.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

phog wrote: »
    agreed but there is a purpose in the English game too, it's surely more than getting bums on seats in the Aviva.

The English game will be of great value to the squad in terms of giving game time to people, getting them battle-hardened etc, particularly if some lads. e.g. BOD, Bowe, haven't had huge game time up to then. It also lets the lads fight it out for the couple of spots still up for grabs too, e.g. scrum-half, hooker, left-wing.

It's the value of the Connacht match I'd question, tbh.

phog wrote: »

Absolutely, reckon it'll be near enough our first team lining out. What I was trying to say was that unfortunately we only have 2 games left before squad is finalised which isn't enough time for both Jennings and Wallace to get a decent run/get match fitness. Or enough time to give Jennings a decent opportunity to show his worth which I think he deserves. Wallace should have definitely played one of the Scotland/France games, given Jennings injury.

• Advertisement

But it could be useful in terms of giving a run out to players like Darcy and Ferris if they're ready for a game but not a full test match. Maybe let Flannery play a full 80 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Did Flannery get a run our against Scotland? How did he look?

The English game will be of great value to the squad in terms of giving game time to people, getting them battle-hardened etc, particularly if some lads. e.g. BOD, Bowe, haven't had huge game time up to then. It also lets the lads fight it out for the couple of spots still up for grabs too, e.g. scrum-half, hooker, left-wing.

I would have thought the Connacht game would have been used to give guys a run in positions they're not overly comfortable in just to see can they get some time there such as Court at tighthead or McLaughlin at lock etc. Overall though, I think it's going to be a bit of a dead rubber game and I can see there being several players from outside the squad drafted in to make up the numbers such as Ronan, Toner, Ruddock etc. which will severely hinder those trying to make an impact.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Did Flannery get a run our against Scotland? How did he look?

He looked like he wasn't injured. I don't mean to be facetious, the most important thing was that he got out and put himself about for 20 minutes without breaking down. In terms of performance, he obviously wasn't particularly noticeable but it would have been remarkable if he was given how prolonged his absence has been. Had one throw which was short but we'll forgive him that and hopefully he'll show his old ability this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭val_jester

He looked like he wasn't injured. I don't mean to be facetious, the most important thing was that he got out and put himself about for 20 minutes without breaking down. In terms of performance, he obviously wasn't particularly noticeable but it would have been remarkable if he was given how prolonged his absence has been. Had one throw which was short but we'll forgive him that and hopefully he'll show his old ability this weekend.

He had one carry, one bad throw and he won a penalty so he wasn't completely anonymous but, like you say, the most important thing was that he didn't break down yet again.

Conor Murray may not travel to the W/Cup but if he continues to impress he'll be a certain starter for Ireland in the next season or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Hagz wrote: »

That's just... very weird.

Giteau has thanked everyone for their support throughout his international career and announced his retirement. Although the squad isn't announced until tomorrow, it would seem that he hasn't made the 30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Dragons hammer Russia 40-12 (6 tries)

http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/news/10845.php

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement