Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Jennings is a very good HC player but he showed yesterday that he isn't able to step it up another level for international rugby. He did nothing yesterday and Heaslip had to cover the workload of both 8 and 7. He just doesn't have the physicality for international rugby.

Leamy didn't have a great season but, he was very good in the Irish games he has played so far. It is a risk by only bringing one recognised 7 in Wallace but, I'd rather see SOB at 7 than Jennings in a big international game - Jennings would get blown out of it against SA and I don't think he would fair too well against Australia or Italy either.

in fairness Leamy was given a huge advantage by being played in the first 3 warm up games, albeit it in a position (no 8) where he wont play in the WC unless SOB and Heaslip are injured. Have you seen the size of Brussow or Pocock do you remember Neil Back? Jennings has no problems mixing it with larger forwards, his problems lie with the national coach's bias towards his old reliable munster players and their form of 3 seasons ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Jennings is a very good HC player but he showed yesterday that he isn't able to step it up another level for international rugby.

So you give a guy the sum total of 60 mins to make his case having had no game time since coming back from injury and into a side that is performing very poorly? That's a tad harsh. A lot of players didn't do the business yesterday. Do you drop all of them? Darce and BOD were poor so should they just pack it in? How about Earls?

Jenno was never going to travel and nothing he did yesterday was ever going to change that. I can guarantee that TOL will be in the squad and so will Boss over Murray. Buckley will more than likely be there too. As will Wallace. The selection will be just as most would have predicted 6 months ago.

I have a 2007 feeling about this world cup. Italy must be rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of facing us in the pool stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

molloyjh wrote: »
    So you give a guy the sum total of 60 mins to make his case having had no game time since coming back from injury and into a side that is performing very poorly? That's a tad harsh. A lot of players didn't do the business yesterday. Do you drop all of them? Darce and BOD were poor so should they just pack it in? How about Earls?

Jenno was never going to travel and nothing he did yesterday was ever going to change that. I can guarantee that TOL will be in the squad and so will Boss over Murray. Buckley will more than likely be there too. As will Wallace. The selection will be just as most would have predicted 6 months ago.

I have a 2007 feeling about this world cup. Italy must be rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of facing us in the pool stage!

It wasn't a matter of Jennings just having a bad game ala. Earls, he just couldn't match the physicality of a second-choice French backrow. He was non-existent in attack or defense - The only thing of worth I saw him do in defense was get bounced. He was afforded a brilliant chance, which he did deserve, and he didn't/couldn't take it.

Ryan and Leamy got a much worse doings on here after much better performances but, just because Jennings is a favourite of most posters here, his poor game was glossed over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Have to say there's very little justification for bringing Jennings after yesterday, he just didn't take his opportunity. Which is a shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

It wasn't a matter of Jennings just having a bad game ala. Earls, he just couldn't match the physicality of a second-choice French backrow. He was non-existent in attack or defense - The only thing of worth I saw him do in defense was get bounced. He was afforded a brilliant chance, which he did deserve, and he didn't/couldn't take it.

Ryan and Leamy got a much worse doings on here after much better performances but, just because Jennings is a favourite of most posters here, his poor game was glossed over.

Jennings was poor yesterday but no-one stood up to the physicality of the French yesterday and the French back-row of Picamoles, Bonnaire and Ouedraogo might be the back-up but one thing they don't lack is physical strength.

No-one on this forum is claiming he played well yesterday, Jennings is a favourite of some posters because he's been an integral part of two Heineken Cup winning teams in the last three seasons; that's what I judge him on, rather than his first 60 minutes of action in three months, playing as part of a beaten team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

molloyjh wrote: »

It's posts like this that constantly drag this forum down to the provincial bullsh1t that often threaten to ruin this forum.

Jennings had his first 60 minutes since returning from injury. He had an average performance in a very poorly performing team. He was driven back one in the tackle. So was Sob and Drico - are they physically not capable of international standard?

He has proven (as lately as the HC final) that he is capable of mixing it with the best backrows in the world. He had also shown he can change games at HC level. He holds his place ahead of quality players like mcloughlin, Dom Ryan and ruddock.

Neither Ryan nor Leamy should have been afforded the opps they got, that's part of the reason they get lambasted. Leamy has lost his place at Minster to a second rate lock (at 6) and james coughlsn (at8). Ryan is the aforementioned second rate lock - he has struggled for years with mod to be back up to PoC / DoC.

The two situations are not comparable.

Jennings was poor yesterday but no-one stood up to the physicality of the French yesterday and the French back-row of Picamoles, Bonnaire and Ouedraogo might be the back-up but one thing they don't lack is physical strength.

No-one on this forum is claiming he played well yesterday, Jennings is a favourite of some posters because he's been an integral part of two Heineken Cup winning teams in the last three seasons; that's what I judge him on, rather than his first 60 minutes of action in three months, playing as part of a beaten team.

Integral part of the Leicester team that won the HEC too.

To suggest he hasn't the physicality to front up to the French backrow is to completely misunderstand his game. He's not a destructive tackler, he's not supposed to be one. I think I made a post before on the difference between Wallace at 7 and Jennings at 7, and how they both bring things that the other can't to the position. Wallace is a machine, he is destructive with the ball in hand and without, but Jennings more than makes up for the deficit of power with his brains.

Consistently the top tackler game in game out for Leinster in the past few seasons, consistently unpenalised even though we all know he's slowing opposition ball down, and consistently improving the quality of the ball that is delivered to our own #9. He's also a defensive leader, and you can see his organisational skills around the breakdowns that he's not got his hands on the ball in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

On a weak where he had gastroenteritis and just back from a broken arm.

If you are going to judge someone on one game judge Earls on his last two games. I wouldn't do that either.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

First of all the first bit has nothing to do with it being on tv. The tickets are ridiculously good value at €20 but you'd complain if it they were free.

Secondly RTE's coverage is terrible, SKY Sports are in 64% of Irish household but there'll be dozen of high quality streams available to those without.

What people seem to be failing to grasp is that there would have been no game against Engalnd if it wasn't on Sky

Where did you get that crazy stat from?

I'd hazard a guess that its about 50 times overestimated? :confused:

Integral part of the Leicester team that won the HEC too.

Errr, no he wasn't. Leicester didn't win a HEC while he was there.

• Advertisement

danthefan wrote: »
    Errr, no he wasn't. Leicester didn't win a HEC while he was there.

oops, completely taking that out of my arse alright. Guiness Premiership it was. Very poor memory of this photo to make that mistake!

DW_gloucester_leicester_2220_09.jpg

In one sense it would be absolutely farical if Kidney leaves out TOL now. He's invested so much time in this player, who everyone can see was in utterly rubbish form, denying gametime to Reddan, never giving Boss an opportunity, in these warm ups not giving Murray a real chance, to go and leave TOL behind.

Whatever happens here it reflects very badly on Kidney, just shockingly poor management.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

danthefan wrote: »
    In one sense it would be absolutely farical if Kidney leaves out TOL now. He's invested so much time in this player, who everyone can see was in utterly rubbish form, denying gametime to Reddan, never giving Boss an opportunity, in these warm ups not giving Murray a real chance, to go and leave TOL behind.

Whatever happens here it reflects very badly on Kidney, just shockingly poor management.
    agreed in a way. To leave TOL behind would be to say I f*cked up. To bring him would be a roll of the dice saying please god work but knowing there is little or no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Or it could mean he wasn't sure of TOL to begin with, and decided to give him the opportunity to play himself into the side.

Either way, I hope he doesn't travel.

Otacon wrote: »
    Or it could mean he wasn't sure of TOL to begin with, and decided to give him the opportunity to play himself into the side.

Either way, I hope he doesn't travel.

It can't be this imo, because he's picked TOL for virtually every game Ireland have played in the last 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

My guess is that TOL is Kidneys son. I honestly can't think of any other reason why he picks him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I think you'll find most people had issues with the likes of Leamy because he couldn't hold his place down at Munster, let alone Ireland. There was no logic behind the selection as his form overall had not warranted it. Not only that but they weren't coming back from injury. Apples and oranges...

And no Jenno didn't play his best, but then who did on the day? Earls had an absolute shocker and he's had game time and no injury. Should we leave him behind too?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭phog

Sexton looking to POC for tips :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

OK so I might be TOTALLY wrong but am looking at twitter and see a conversation between Hagan and Keatley who are on about bets they had with each other in the GAA last weekend and about another for the final and Keatley remarked that Hagan could afford it as he has free flights to Australia in September.

I may be completely wrong so what do you make out of it? Is it just a throw away comment or is it possible Hagan will be travelling as far as Oz to be in reserve ? And if so, who would be most likely to be going with him? It would probably be max of 2/3 players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Kidney said in the press conference after announcing the squad that he wouldn't be doing this, that the players were better served staying with their provinces, so I highly doubt it got anything to do with the WC, especially considering Hayes, Horan and Wilkinson (I think) were in the training squad ahead of him.

Probably to do with something else entirely imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Kinda handy though don't you think? and free flights too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/23778.php

NOT. D'arcy's departure delayed due to calf strain.

Hagz wrote: »
    Things are looking up!

Erm, how?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Erm, how?

Agreed, a sh!tty way to click a link and find out a player is injured :(

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

How are so many of the squad getting injured so close to the RWC?

Bad planning?
    Overtraining?

Worrying.....

Hagz wrote: »
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/23778.php

NOT. D'arcy's departure delayed due to calf strain.

Oh right, you were going all secret agent on us, writing in hidden text.

Slow day in work Hagz? :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

peterako wrote: »

Bad planning?
    Overtraining?

Worrying.....

Well I think with Healy and Darcy them not flying with the squad is a preventitive measure. Being in an airplane for 30 hours is uncomfortable enough without a minor strain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

peterako wrote: »

Bad planning?
    Overtraining?

Worrying.....

Shit happens. Scotland and New Zealand are probably the only unaffected sides.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Even they're not. Nikki Walker is ruled out of the tournament for Scotland. Kieran Read is out of most of the pool games and I'm not sure what the situation is with Adam Thompson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

What?? Both Scotland and NZ have suffered serious injuries with some key players.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement