Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

wixfjord wrote: »
    Could be much ado about nothing (wouldn't be like the Indo :rolleyes:)
    But we'd be up ****s creek if true. McFadden to 12?

Similar reports in the Sunday Times today and not written by Stephanie Jones so'd give it some credit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

Are the reports not just saying he had his surgery and it will take 6 weeks before he can run on it? I don't think that's anything new to the original story surrounding the injury.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

The new bit appears to be Kidney saying last week it's 'getting tight' for Darcy to recover in time. Which in understated management speak is not a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Would much rather see McFadden at 12 than Darcy or Wallace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

It was always going to be tight:confused: Surely it hasn't taken this long for the papers to put 2 and 2 together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Darragh18

ok lads just a general opinion really what do people think our chances are of the rugby world cup we should hopefully get out of our group not like 2007, but if we are drawn against the ozzies or all blacks in quaters were gone so what are our chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Darragh18 wrote: »
    ok lads just a general opinion really what do people think our chances are of the rugby world cup we should hopefully get out of our group not like 2007, but if we are drawn against the ozzies or all blacks in quaters were gone so what are our chances.
    How can we draw the ozzies in a 1/4 they are in our group
    We should get out of our group but if we finish 2nd and have to play the all blacks we probably will be heading home. Beat the ozzies and a first ever semi is a very good possibility

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

ormond lad wrote: »
    How can we draw the ozzies in a 1/4 they are in our group
    We should get out of our group but if we finish 2nd and have to play the all blacks we probably will be heading home. Beat the ozzies and a first ever semi is a very good possibility

If we finish second we play South Africa in the quarters and then All blacks in semi's. If we beat the Aussies then a final spot will be on the cards if we can take care of Wales/Samoa in quarters and England/France in semi's.

our best possibility is we get out of our group and the ozzies and all blacks drawn against each other and we get the english , but were to go from there

if we display a performances like we did against england in 6 nations and all blacks in autumn we will have one hell of a run

• Advertisement

Ireland odds 3/1 to reach final paddy power giving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

First of all if we advance from our group we are playing one of Pool D's South Africa, Wales, Samoa, Fiji or Namibia. Basically winner of our group faces runner-up of theirs and vice versa.
    With that in mind I don't think we should be unduly fearful. Australia might beat us in the group but that shouldn't matter so long as we remain focused with each game against Italy, USA and Russia - I trust we will too considering our 2007 royal kick up the *ss. So whether or not we beat Oz will determine whether or not we top the group or not. If we do we'll face, probably, Wales and if we come 2nd we'll face South Africa, again probably.
    Obviously no side in the quarters can be underestimated but we have the players to beat either South Africa and Wales.
    Personally I'd be a bit miffed if we're sent packing at the quarter-final stage. Our players are better than that.
    We tick the boxes which need checking IMO;

Can we win our own scrums?
    Can we win our own lineouts?
    Can we contest at the breakdown?
    Have we a 10 who can control the game as we want it played?
    Have we someone who can kick goals?
    Have we players that can combine to score tries?

Any team who can answer yes to all of those has a chance of winning any match. If you can enforce dominance in the opposition's set-play you're onto a winner, similarly at the breakdown. I believe that this criteria will get us through to the quarters, should sees us past SA or Wales but when it comes to the semis, well then it could be NZ (who certainly tick those boxes) or France - who on their day tick those boxes as good as any team in the world. NZ or a confident France are the teams I fear.
    But, at semi-final time nerves can begin to takeover and the influence of the bounce of a ball can be the decider. (Always nice to finish on a cliché!)

as the bounce of the ball certainly upset keith earls v france in 6 nations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I do think we should be disappointed with anything less than a SF. Granted, if we play to our potential and still don't reach SF, then there will be no need for disappointment.

We can top the group. Australia are certainly beatable, especially if we can get the upper-hand up front. BUT, the logical answer seems to be that we will come runner-up. Meaning we will have to beat, most likely, the Boks. But I think we can be confident going into a match like that. SA haven't shown much form this year, mostly because their team is "injured". De Villiers is using a tactic, that could very well back-fire. If you look at the full-strength Bok team, they certainly have an intimidating pack, but their back-line is nothing to fear.

9. Du Preez - providing he returns from injury, Du Preez hasn't really hit the form he was in around 2009. He seems to be going into a steady decline.

10. Steyn - He was great in 2010, and he is stellar off the tee, but as of late, he hasn't shown himself to be a massive threat in attack. In fact, Lambie has been more impressive.

11. Habana - Has been pretty anonymous lately, trying to find form.

12. De Villiers - a name most of the Irish backs will be familiar with, and certainly won't fear.

13. Fourie - Now this guy, is a threat.

14. Pieterson - Has found form recently for the Sharks, but you wouldn't name him as a world class winger

15. Aplon - a dangerous runner, but relatively in-experienced. Not much seen from him in test rugby, bar the NH tour.

I would love us to top our group, because then we're in with a shot of a place in the final, but I think our battle lies with SA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

Ireland odds 3/1 to reach final paddy power giving

It's 9/1 for Ireland to reach the final. 3/1 would be ridiculous odds on us making the final.

20/1 for us to win it, 1/3 of the odds for e/w, so if you're backing Ireland do a win bet at 20/1 and the same on making the final at 9/1 instead of a plain e/w bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Hagz wrote: »
    We can top the group. Australia are certainly beatable, especially if we can get the upper-hand up front. BUT, the logical answer seems to be that we will come runner-up.

Is it the most logical or the most popular? We can beat Australia and they should hold absolutely no fear for our players. Obviously it's the key game of our group but I think we can win it. Not an off-chance, hope the ball/ref/whatever is with us. I think we can genuinely win it outright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Teferi wrote: »
    Is it the most logical or the most popular? We can beat Australia and they should hold absolutely no fear for our players. Obviously it's the key game of our group but I think we can win it. Not an off-chance, hope the ball/ref/whatever is with us. I think we can genuinely win it outright.

Logical in terms of we would go into that game as the under-dogs because of Australia's talent and because of statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

copacetic wrote: »
    The new bit appears to be Kidney saying last week it's 'getting tight' for Darcy to recover in time. Which in understated management speak is not a good sign.

its defo a worry if Kidney is openly worried. Darcy takes a good number of games to get his match sharpness. He will be on the plane though, a 60% Darcy is still our best option. Hopefully McFadden also gets some game time at 12 in the next few matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Hugh Farrellys report on the Irish game at the weekend had this quote thrown in at the end.
    Meanwhile, the IRFU revealed they would be making a major announcement regarding the future of Irish rugby on Monday, which is expected to involve the extension of major sponsorship deals with O2 and Puma.

Anybody know when the current contracts expire? Bloody hate the huge O2 logo on the jerseys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

theboss80 wrote: »
    Hugh Farrellys report on the Irish game at the weekend had this quote thrown in at the end.

Anybody know when the current contracts expire? Bloody hate the huge O2 logo on the jerseys.

Having read Farrelly's assertion that Buckley is capable of playing both sides of the scrum I'd check anything he prints with someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭EmacB

Could be worse...... look at the admiral logo on wales' jersey it ruins the whole jersey for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

jacothelad wrote: »
    Having read Farrelly's assertion that Buckley is capable of playing both sides of the scrum I'd check anything he prints with someone else.

That has to be one of the most ridiculous notions I've heard, unless he means it doesn't really matter which side he plays on as he'll just get hammered either way. He'll almost certainly be on the plane though.

I wouldn't be too surprised if wales beat south africa. They've looked very poor recently albeit minus botha and matfield. I'd still be worried if we played them though given our poor discipline, I think steyn could well kick them to a win. Also I'd be surprised if de villiers starts as de jong looks a serious talent.
    In my opinion de jong and fourie would be their main threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Good money though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Assuming 13 backs

3SHs
    Sexton, ROG
    D'arcy, BOD, Wallace
    Earls, Kearney, Bowe

Two from Trimble Fitz Jones and McFadden. Big calls and Trimble and Fitz seem to be doing pretty well today

McCarthy has been doing well as well will he claim the utility forward spot

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭davidpfitz

Assuming 13 backs

3SHs
    Sexton, ROG
    D'arcy, BOD, Wallace
    Earls, Kearney, Bowe

Two from Trimble Fitz Jones and McFadden. Big calls and Trimble and Fitz seem to be doing pretty well today

Ditch Wallace, take Trimble, Fitz and Fergus. That'd be what I'd do, anyway. I don't buy this "Wallace covers 10" business, because if we have injuries that means we rely on him to cover for 10, we're pretty much hosed already. I don't have anything against him, particularly, but I don't think he is a first or a second choice player in any position on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'd like to see McFadden play 12 in one of the upcoming games, to give him the chance.

Truthfully though, I doubt he's coming unless it's as a winger. And I doubt he travels as a winger ahead of Fitzgerald/Trimble. He hasn't proven himself as a 12 at the top level yet, and was fairly poor at the weekend. Wallace outperformed him in the centre and Wallace also has the added bonus of being a far more experienced 12.

We aren't hugely pushed for 13 cover really. Losing BOD would be a disaster, but if it happens we have plenty of players capable of playing 13 (Bowe, D'Arcy, Earls) without having to bring McFadden, so our 3rd center should really be someone capable of starting instead of D'Arcy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

davidpfitz wrote: »
    Ditch Wallace
    NGTH Kidney won't go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

I'd like to see McFadden play 12 in one of the upcoming games, to give him the chance.

Truthfully though, I doubt he's coming unless it's as a winger. And I doubt he travels as a winger ahead of Fitzgerald/Trimble. He hasn't proven himself as a 12 at the top level yet, and was fairly poor at the weekend. Wallace outperformed him in the centre and Wallace also has the added bonus of being a far more experienced 12.

We aren't hugely pushed for 13 cover really. Losing BOD would be a disaster, but if it happens we have plenty of players capable of playing 13 (Bowe, D'Arcy, Earls) without having to bring McFadden, so our 3rd center should really be someone capable of starting instead of D'Arcy.

Seriously?

McFadden has been excellent at 12 for Leinster for the past two years. I bet he would walk into any team in the Pro12 league, including Munster. He played in the Heineken Cup and Magners League finals at 12 last season.

I disagree strongly with you that he hasn't proven himself at the highest level.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

ambid wrote: »
    Seriously?

McFadden has been excellent at 12 for Leinster for the past two years. I bet he would walk into any team in the Pro12 league, including Munster. He played in the Heineken Cup and Magners League finals at 12 last season.

I disagree strongly with you that he hasn't proven himself at the highest level.

Wot.

Care to list his many starts at 12 for Leinster for the pass two years where he's proven himself to be international standard?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

ambid wrote: »
    Seriously?

He has played in the Heineken Cup you're right. He has only one start at 12 and his only other starts were on the wing though. His total time in the Heineken cup final was 12 mins.

The season before last 09-10 he played 26mins of Heineken cup rugby.

I do think he is very talented but also feel that people are mistaking the amount of game time he has in the centre for the big games.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement