Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭phog

theboss80 wrote: »
    Dragons hammer Russia 40-12 (6 tries)

http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/news/10845.php

what has to do with Ireland :confused: and it's old news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

phog wrote: »

I'd say that's pretty obvious, we're playing Russia in a few weeks time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Yeah, it's not like they're in our WC group! ;) The game was on Tuesday, phog. I wasn't aware of it until it was posted. Chill out, it's the weekend!

danthefan wrote: »
    I'd say that's pretty obvious, we're playing Russia in a few weeks time.

Dragons hammer Russia 40-12 (6 tries)

http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/news/10845.php

Hey man, apologies, I just saw the rabodirectpro link and assumed you were mentioning Dragons rather than Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Why would I be posting about the Dragons:confused: in The Ireland team thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Systic

*whoosh* over the head

:P

Hayes and Stringer NOT going to world cup
    THERE WILL BE no happy ending for John Hayes after the prop – along with a number of Munster colleagues including Peter Stringer – was told he will not be making the trip to next month’s World Cup, according to Cork’s Evening Echo (print edition).

The news is not a huge surprise given that neither player has been too involved in Ireland’s preparations but it does draw an end to Hayes’ distinguished international career and given that he is not contracted to Munster beyond the World Cup, he is unlikely to play for the Reds again either.

According to Conor George’s article, others to lose out include Marcus Horan, Mick O’Driscoll and Niall Ronan. The news will probably be of some relief to Munster supporters however, who saw their side held scoreless at Musgrave Park during a 15-0 defeat to London Wasps on Friday night.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/hayes-stringer-set-to-miss-out-on-rwc-205971-Aug2011/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Yea, was reading the Echo there. Murray not going, Jones might make it according to it.

bleg wrote: »
    Yea, was reading the Echo there. Murray not going, Jones might make it according to it.

Did it say about Murray ya? Cullen said after the Connacht game that alot of players already knew where they stood in terms of making the plane or not

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Yea said Murray wasn't going but that Ryan was.

• Advertisement

bleg wrote: »
    Yea said Murray wasn't going but that Ryan was.

My emotions just went like this reading that

:eek:

:mad:

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

My emotions just went like this reading that

:eek:

:mad:

:rolleyes:

I am close to tears

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Well, what do we make of that? So many poor performances. Feel so sorry for Jones, he looked so dejected. One positive is Ferris looked fit to me. Sadly, that's one of very few positives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

-DOC, TOL and Earls played themselves off the team if you were picking it.
    -TOL should not be anywhere near the Munster squad never mind the Ireland squad.
    -Jennings didn't do enough to make the squad.
    -Jones looks to be out. He didn't have a good game anyway although saw little ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Sure we'll beat England and everything will be grand :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

cormac murray?? another hookism today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

profitius wrote: »
    -DOC, TOL and Earls played themselves off the team if you were picking it.
    -TOL should not be anywhere near the Munster squad never mind the Ireland squad.
    -Jennings didn't do enough to make the squad.
    -Jones looks to be out. He didn't have a good game anyway although saw little ball.

I can't agree with you about DOC. He started very well and made 2 or so lineout steals. I don't think that Cullen can be considered ahead of DOC after his performance last week.

evil_seed wrote: »
    Sure we'll beat England and everything will be grand :rolleyes:

Well it worked in the 6N anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

I can't agree with you about DOC. He started very well and made 2 or so lineout steals. I don't think that Cullen can be considered ahead of DOC after his performance last week.

Did anyone notice DOC throughout the game? To me he looks past it. He game was always about physicality but thats gone now and he offers nothing else besides experience.

TOL was brutal. I wouldn't be too hard on TOL though. He tries his best but its not his fault he keeps getting picked.

Earls had a shocker. Earls gets alot of unfair stick at times but today he was terrible. The worst I've ever seen him play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Team I think is going to the WC

Healy, Court, Cronin, Best, Flannery, Buckley, Ross, DOC, POC, Cullen, Ryan, Leamy, Ferris, SOB, Wallace, Heaslip, Reddan, Murray, TOL, Sexton, ROG, Wallace, D'arcy, BOD, Earls, Bowe, Trimble, Kearney, Fitzgerald, McFadden

• Advertisement

Did anyone notice DOC throughout the game? To me he looks past it. He game was always about physicality but thats gone now and he offers nothing else besides experience.

TOL was brutal. I wouldn't be too hard on TOL though. He tries his best but its not his fault he keeps getting picked.

Earls had a shocker. Earls gets alot of unfair stick at times but today he was terrible. The worst I've ever seen him play.

I think that Ryan is starting to be better than DOC at the game that DOC plays. The past it remark could be becoming true, he is still capable of brilliant performances but, they are getting rarer and rarer. At least we only have another 3 years of him being first choice at Munster :mad:.a

TOL was so frustrating today. He started very well and then just imploded. Most of the stuff on the match thread is just posters picking the easy player to single out.

His kick was poor but, BOD made a worse kick later in the match and it did take a fantastic dropgoal to punish us. Heaslip was partially at fault for the intercept but, it was such a stupid thing to do but, is a pity. It was one of the better passes he has made recently and it could have been great if it went to hand. A stupid risk to take though.

Earls looked low on confidence, which is terrible as he was brilliant in the 6N. I think that he needs to start wearing the green Moyross boots again :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Hagz wrote: »
    Team I think is going to the WC

Healy, Court, Cronin, Best, Flannery, Buckley, Ross, DOC, POC, Cullen, Ryan, Leamy, Ferris, SOB, Wallace, Heaslip, Reddan, Murray, TOL, Sexton, ROG, Wallace, D'arcy, BOD, Earls, Bowe, Trimble, Kearney, Fitzgerald, McFadden

Think Boss will go instead of Murray by the sounds of things but the other 29 sound about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

The Team Id like to see against England next week (meaning these people would be in my WC squad aswell)

15. Kearney
    14. Bowe
    13. BOD
    12. McFadden
    11. Earls - Deserves a chance to make up for today and Trimble needs a rest
    10. ROG
    9. Murray

1. Court
    2. Flannery
    3. Hayes
    4. Cullen
    5. POC
    6. Ferris
    7. Wallace
    8. Heaslip

16. Cronin
    17. Healy
    18. Ryan
    19. Leamy
    20. Boss
    21. Sexton
    22. Darcy

Rest of my squad: Ross, Best, DOC, SOB, Reddan, Trimble, Fitz, Jones(murphy)

I did, he was in every ruck, slowing their ball down, hands and legs everywhere, worked well in the lineout, he may not have carried the same ball as POC but he did more than you give him credit for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Did anyone notice DOC throughout the game? To me he looks past it. He game was always about physicality but thats gone now and he offers nothing else besides experience
    He had a good game. Covered the contact area well, cleared rucks (winning a timely turnover today in the process), protected ball, harangued opposition mauls, won his lineouts...
    Hardly past it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RugbySource

Kidney confirmed tonight that Felix Jones didn't break a bone against France but further scans will be carried out on Sunday for ligament damage. But still not looking good for the young fellas World Cup hopes one would imagine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

So whats the deal with Ireland's attack ? Spin it wide and run it straight. It didnt work against Scotland and it didnt work against France twice. Surely the coaches could have worked on something a little bit more substantial than that for the world cup ?

I'm all for doing it with an overlap but to do it each and everytime is just pointless, when France were stretched across the field today we should have been bursting through the centre with angled runs.

Am I over analysing this or is Ireland's attacking play just too basic ? Have they gone so far in trying to avoid the dangerous offload that they have killed our attack altogether ?

I know that no matter what they do people will say they should have done differently but watching them in the last three matches they dont look like Ireland playing with a bit of creativity they look like Italy did a few years ago doing the basics to get the hang of the running game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

They look like Scotland going from side to side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RugbySource

They're trying to emulate New Zealand. However the All Blacks have been doing it for ages - and they get the full 15 involved with the attack.
    Skunkle wrote: »
    So whats the deal with Ireland's attack ? Spin it wide and run it straight. It didnt work against Scotland and it didnt work against France twice. Surely the coaches could have worked on something a little bit more substantial than that for the world cup ?

I'm all for doing it with an overlap but to do it each and everytime is just pointless, when France were stretched across the field today we should have been bursting through the centre with angled runs.

Am I over analysing this or is Ireland's attacking play just too basic ? Have they gone so far in trying to avoid the dangerous offload that they have killed our attack altogether ?

I know that no matter what they do people will say they should have done differently but watching them in the last three matches they dont look like Ireland playing with a bit of creativity they look like Italy did a few years ago doing the basics to get the hang of the running game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Skunkle wrote: »

I've been accused of being overly optimistic for suggesting this, but it's the only logical explanation I can come up with....

I think they've been told to go out and play a basic lateral game so as to give nothing away before the World Cup. We were playing with more invention in the 6 Nations so I can't see any other reason why we'd revert to shovelling the ball out to the wing as quickly as possible as often as possible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement