Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    I dunno i just don't buy it at all.

Although i remember somebody posting up the team to play NZ in the first test during the summer and it was such a rediculously unlikely team that a lot of people (including me) shot it down. Turned out to be the the exact 15.

Still though i really can't see that being the team.

The guy always has the inside scoop tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

Murray starting? when will it ever end.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

danthefan wrote: »
    I think it was mentioned on this thread previously but guy with a good record on these things on PR is saying Zebo will be selected at 15.

Ok we have the full team now.

Zebo
    Bowe
    Earls
    D'Arcy
    Trimble
    Sexton
    Murray
    Heaslip
    Henry
    POM
    Ryan
    POC
    Ross
    Strauss
    Healy
    That's exactly the team I would pick*, so I'm very happy if it get's picked. I'm sure some people won't be.

*Except for Zebo (I had Jones there but I wouldn't have him there now), but I just have no idea what he's like at 15... could be that he's been really impressive there so far. I really couldn't complain about anyone at 15 at this stage, we're so light on (non-injured) talent in that position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

goreyguy wrote: »
    Murray starting? when will it ever end.

Murray is actually a decent scrum half. He was decent in NZ and has improved his passing under Penney and bar the Racing game he has been in good form this year.

I'd probably still pick Reddan if it was up to me but I don't mind Murray starting in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

That team wouldn't be that surprising. If POC and Healy are fit, that's a nice boost.

My only change would be Cave for Trimble, and re-arranging of positions. Zebo could be a good full-back, he does have pretty much all the attributes for it. But getting thrown into a new position in an international game against South Africa could turn out badly. His positioning could end up being completely off and could be exposed.

• Advertisement

Murray will start for his kicking and defense. And so he should. South Africa are just the type of team that Reddan struggles against. I was pulling my hair out at the repeated ignorance of Reddan in February but this time around Murray is the right choice in my opinion (a stopped clock is right twice a day and all that).

Murray will start for his kicking and defense. And so he should. South Africa are just the type of team that Reddan struggles against. I was pulling my hair out at the repeated ignorance of Reddan in February but this time around Murray is the right choice in my opinion (a stopped clock is right twice a day and all that).

Singing the praises of DOC a few weeks ago. Now calling for Murray to start! By god your Leinster buds won't be happy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

15. Zebo
    14. Bowe
    13. Earls
    12. D'Arcy
    11. Trimble
    10. Sexton (capt)
    9. Murray

1. Healy
    2. Strauss
    3. Ross
    4. Ryan
    5. POC
    6. POM
    7. Henry
    8. Heaslip

16. Cronin
    17. Kilcoyne
    18. Bent
    19. McCarthy
    20. Henderson
    21. Reddan
    22. Jackson
    23. McFadden

is the rumoured 23. Aside from the bullcrap that is the parachuting of Michael Bent and Strauss (done to death so will leave it there!), there's not too much wrong with it. Zebo at 15 is a big risk but if it works he could be a gem, plus if allows two form Ulster wingers to get into the side too. Cave deserves to be ahead of McFadden as Earls could slot into the wing or fullback position if there was an injury in the backline. Also McCarthy over Tuohy?

Gilroy should get a look in as well, hopefully he'll get a go against Fiji, a fantastic attacking talent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1JhWfH9DlE

If ROG is dropped, that will be a whoop-ti-doo moment to say the least. I'm a big fan of ROG but his time at international level is passed now, unless there's an injury crisis really.

By provincial breakdown:

Munster: 6 starters, 1 bencher
    Leinster: 6 starters, 4 benchers
    Ulster: 3 starters, 2 benchers
    Connacht: 0 starters, 1 bencher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭accidentprone1

Surely Kidney wouldn't drop ROG now? I can't see him pulling such an uncharacteristic move given the players he's already lost.

16. Cronin
    17. Kilcoyne
    18. Bent
    19. McCarthy
    20. Henderson
    21. Reddan
    22. Jackson
    23. McFadden

I would be absolutely delighted to see that bench. Cave should be there on merit but we need someone to cover the back 3 in fairness. Henderson covering the back row, McCarthy to come on and start a few rows, Jackson involved. Just deadly.

Aww man I'll be so upset if this isn't the team.

• Advertisement

Surely Kidney wouldn't drop ROG now? I can't see him pulling such an uncharacteristic move given the players he's already lost.

Kidney's best mate Gerry Thornley, who is an avid boards reader, told him the true public opinion?

15. Zebo
    14. Bowe
    13. Earls
    12. D'Arcy
    11. Trimble
    10. Sexton (capt)
    9. Murray

1. Healy
    2. Strauss
    3. Ross
    4. Ryan
    5. POC
    6. POM
    7. Henry
    8. Heaslip

16. Cronin
    17. Kilcoyne
    18. Bent
    19. McCarthy
    20. Henderson
    21. Reddan
    22. Jackson
    23. McFadden

Brilliant team there, smashing bench too. <crosses fingers>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

is the rumoured 23. Aside from the bullcrap that is the parachuting of Michael Bent and Strauss (done to death so will leave it there!), there's not too much wrong with it. Cave deserves to be ahead of McFadden as Earls could slot into the wing or fullback position if there was an injury in the backline.

Gilroy should get a look in as well, hopefully he'll get a go against Fiji, a fantastic attacking talent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1JhWfH9DlE

If ROG is dropped, that will be a whoop-ti-doo moment to say the least. I'm a big fan of ROG but his time at international level is passed now, unless there's an injury crisis really.

I'd worry about dropping ROG just in case Sexton goes off early and Jackson has to slot into a makeshift backline. I'd prefer to have ROG on the bench just in case, but its probably better that we trust Jackson.

It's looking likely that Henderson will bench ahead of McLoughlin too. He was training at 6 today because POM missed training, which is fantastic to see.

If Kidney goes with the team you've picked, it would definitely be the most progressive selection we've had in a while. The only issues are really Richard O'Strauss and Micheál Bent.

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Brilliant team there, smashing bench too. <crosses fingers>

The guys on PR treat this source as very credible, the only thing he wasn't certain on was a few bench positions: "DOC and ROG might feature". :o

The guys on PR treat this source as very credible, the only thing he wasn't certain on was a few bench positions: "DOC and ROG might feature". :o

:mad:

Don't get my hopes up.

:mad:

Don't get my hopes up.

only noticed it after :o

No problem with that really. ROG is the conservative and safe decision, whereas DOC and McCarthy are the form locks.

TBH I'd have DOC benching anyway, not that I mind McCarthy in the slightest.

The captain makes a good point about ROG. While we'd all probably have Jackson benching, I really wouldn't like to see him thrown into the fire 5 minutes into the game against the boks if Sexton gets injured! Not the nicest way to start an International career!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

15. Zebo
    14. Bowe
    13. Earls
    12. D'Arcy
    11. Trimble
    10. Sexton (capt)
    9. Murray

1. Healy
    2. Strauss
    3. Ross
    4. Ryan
    5. POC
    6. POM
    7. Henry
    8. Heaslip

16. Cronin
    17. Kilcoyne
    18. Bent
    19. McCarthy
    20. Henderson
    21. Reddan
    22. Jackson
    23. McFadden

Would love to see this. Would there be enough prop cover there though? Is Bent adequately capable of covering both sides?

Would love to see this. Would there be enough prop cover there though? Is Bent adequately capable of covering both sides?

Sure it's a 23 man squad! Bent and Kilkoyne are on the bench :)

• Advertisement

That would be an incredibly progressive selection from Kidney.

Henderson and Jackson on the bench, no ROG? A strong starting fifteen too... hmmm

TBH I'd have DOC benching anyway, not that I mind McCarthy in the slightest.

The captain makes a good point about ROG. While we'd all probably have Jackson benching, I really wouldn't like to see him thrown into the fire 5 minutes into the game against the boks if Sexton gets injured! Not the nicest way to start an International career!

I don't agree on ROG, Jackson needs to be blooded. I said what the Cpt pointed out last year but not now, Jackson has since come through and is performing to a high standard in a genuine contender for the Heineken Cup where Pienaar could take his spot if he wasn't performing.

I'd have Tuohy over McCarthy and DOC tbh. Although those two have been playing well so it's not a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Sure it's a 23 man squad! Bent and Kilkoyne are on the bench :)

Yeah I saw that, but I haven't seen Bent play at all so I'm wondering if there's there's a difference in his ability to play tight head vs loose head, and how he would compare to Court, who seems to be left out.

I don't agree on ROG, Jackson needs to be blooded. I said what the Cpt pointed out last year but not now, Jackson has since come through and is performing to a high standard in a genuine contender for the Heineken Cup where Pienaar could take his spot if he wasn't performing.

No I don't agree with benching ROG. I'm just saying I'd be nervy seeing Jackson make his debut early if Sexton was injured!

Hopefully he would rise to the occasion though

He also has Pienaar and Wallace to babysit him in an Ulster shirt. He has improved massively since last year, but the HEC final was only a few short months ago. Had we a full contingent to select from in the backs, Jackson would definitely be worth the risk; as is, I don't know.

I'm worried about it - as I am with Zebo potentially at 15 - I'm not against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭JRant

3 starters from probably the form team in Europe, muhahahaha.
    If it wasn't DK in charge I actually might care.
    Roll on June 2013.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

One thing about Kilcoyne V Court...I think Court is a better player as of now and if Healy was out, I'd start him. But I think Kilcoyne may be a better option. He's a big carrier, good impact player to bring on against a tiring team, better than Court in that regard imo.

JRant wrote: »
    Roll on June 2013.

tbh if that's the team and bench it's perfect. Who would you change?

Plus I'm sure you're aware that Ferris and Best would have started bar injury, bringing Ulster's total up to 5, a third of the team. So saying Ulster are being ignored isn't fair

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

15. Zebo
    14. Bowe
    13. Earls
    12. D'Arcy
    11. Trimble
    10. Sexton (capt)
    9. Murray

1. Healy
    2. Strauss
    3. Ross
    4. Ryan
    5. POC
    6. POM
    7. Henry
    8. Heaslip

16. Cronin
    17. Kilcoyne
    18. Bent
    19. McCarthy
    20. Henderson
    21. Reddan
    22. Jackson
    23. McFadden

That's actually not a bad team, would like to see it play.

Don't see why Sexton is captain if POC is playing unless POC doesn't want the captain duties anymore. Not that it will matter anyway, POC will still lead from the front.

No problem with Jackson in there, time for ROG to be gone and I'm sure Jackson will rise to the occasion.

Murray over Reddan is probably the right choice for the Boks.

Also will be happy to see Strauss get his first cap. Less so for Bent but if he somehow turns really good then better off we nail him down I suppose.

• Advertisement

JRant wrote: »
    Roll on June 2013.

Payne- NIQ
    Bowe- Playing
    Cave- Has a case, I'd start him. Can count himself unlucky
    Wallace- Getting on at this stage, never going to start ahead of D'Arcy
    Trimble- Playing
    Jackson- On the bench, not in the same class as Sexton yet
    Marshall- In decent enough form, but not he's about the same level as Murray/Reddan
    Williams- NIQ
    Henry- Playing
    Ferris- Injured
    Tuohy- Never going to start ahead of POC, tight with Ryan/DOC/McCarthy. Not that surprising imo
    Muller- NIQ
    Afoa- NIQ
    Best- Injured
    Court- Not as good as Healy

Cave is unlucky, I think...Marshall perhaps. Think that team is pretty encouraging tbqh.

EDIT: I realised I somehow included Marshall ahead of Pienaar there...I do think that counts against him a bit, deservedly or not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement