Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

JRant wrote: »
    3 starters from probably the form team in Europe, muhahahaha.
    If it wasn't DK in charge I actually might care.
    Roll on June 2013.

What other Ulster players should be involved? Best and Ferris would be definite starters if fit, but they aren't.

Is Tuohy better than Ryan? No.
    Is Tuohy in better form than McCarthy(or DOC)? No, but I would pick the younger Tuohy.
    Is Henderson better than POM and has he shown himself ready to step up? Too soon to ask, but probably not.
    Is Marshall better than Murray/Reddan? No.
    Is Jackson better than Sexton? No.
    Are Marshall or Wallace better than D'Arcy? No.
    Is Cave better than Earls? No.
    Is Cave a better bench option than McFadden? No.
    Is Gilroy better than Zebo? No.

The only dubious call would be Kilcoyne ahead of Court, but its pretty much the same situation as Henderson ahead of McLoughlin.

People will imagine issues with any team that Kidney picks. Its not really a problem with the team picked, its poster's problems with the man in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    tbh if that's the team and bench it's perfect. Who would you change?

Some people would want Cave at 13 with Earls at 15. I think there's an argument for that but I'd still prefer Earls at 13 myself.

And also Tuohy and Court involved I suppose. I think there's a strong argument against both of those players though for this game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I think McCarthy and DOC are in better form than Touhy right now so I don't think he deserves the bench spot.

Cave and Court are the only Ulster players who might feel aggrieved. But I think Earl's is a better option at 13 and Kilcoyne a better option off the bench (although Court would be a better player to start given his experience)

Ulster would have 5 starting bar injury remember

• Registered Users Posts: 12,726 ✭✭✭✭JRant

tbh if that's the team and bench it's perfect. Who would you change?

Plus I'm sure you're aware that Ferris and Best would have started bar injury, bringing Ulster's total up to 5, a third of the team. So saying Ulster are being ignored isn't fair

Sure am fishooks, although Fez's injury is not as bad as first thought, thankfully.
    Purely going with the form guide;
    I'd have Cave at 13, moving Earls to fullback.
    Marshall at 9, although there's a strong case for Reddan to partner Sexton.
    Henderson's been the form 6 this season.
    Touhy (or McCarthy) over a patiently unfit POC.
    Court ahead of Mr Bent.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Fireball07 wrote: »

Payne- NIQ
    Bowe- Playing
    Cave- Has a case, I'd start him. Can count himself unlucky
    Wallace- Getting on at this stage, never going to start ahead of D'Arcy
    Trimble- Playing
    Jackson- On the bench, not in the same class as Sexton yet
    Marshall- In decent enough form, but not he's about the same level as Murray/Reddan
    Williams- NIQ
    Henry- Playing
    Ferris- Injured
    Tuohy- Never going to start ahead of POC, tight with Ryan/DOC/McCarthy. Not that surprising imo
    Afoa- NIQ
    Best- Injured
    Court- Not as good as Healy

Cave is unlucky, I think...Marshall perhaps. Think that team is pretty encouraging tbqh.

EDIT: I realised I somehow included Marshall ahead of Pienaar there...I do think that counts against him a bit, deservedly or not.

Fair comment.
    I think Wallace has been playing better than Darcy this season but there's no hope at this stage of him getting near the team.
    You left Henderson out as well!!!
    Anyhow it doesn't matter a jot what team is picked unless a leopard can really change its spots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Fair comment.
    I think Wallace has been playing better than Darcy this season but there's no hope at this stage of him getting near the team.
    You left Henderson out as well!!!
    Anyhow it doesn't matter a jot what team is picked unless a leopard can really change its spots.

I don't disagree with the Wallace thing but if we're going to replace D'Arcy, I'd rather it be with Marshall than Wallace tbh.

And I only left out Henderson because I don't think he starts in a strongest Ulster fifteen.

And the team mightn't play a brand of rugby we want to see, but we can't be 100% sure of that yet...the fact is it's a bit unfair to criticise Kidney for this selection when it's very close to what we (collectively) wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran-Irl

Sure am fishooks, although Fez's injury is not as bad as first thought, thankfully.
    Purely going with the form guide;
    I'd have Cave at 13, moving Earls to fullback.
    Marshall at 9, although there's a strong case for Reddan to partner Sexton.
    Henderson's been the form 6 this season.
    Touhy (or McCarthy) over a patiently unfit POC.
    Court ahead of Mr Bent.

So, to be clear, if Fez/Best/Fitzpatrick were fit, your starting team would have Trimble, Bowe, Cave, Marshall, Ferris, Henderson, Tuohy, Henry & Best, with Court, Fitzpatrick, Gilroy & Jackson on the bench.

Ulster have had a great start to the season, but lets see if they keep it up and win some trophies first before replacing two thirds of the team. Henderson has had all of what, 5 starts now? I'm delighted he is on the bench, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. If Marshall can start the big games consistently and perform, then I'll be all for his starting for Ireland.

What other Ulster players should be involved? Best and Ferris would be definite starters if fit, but they aren't.

Is Tuohy better than Ryan? No.
    Is Tuohy in better form than McCarthy(or DOC)? No, but I would pick the younger Tuohy.
    Is Henderson better than POM and has he shown himself ready to step up? Too soon to ask, but probably not.
    Is Marshall better than Murray/Reddan? No.
    Is Jackson better than Sexton? No.
    Are Marshall or Wallace better than D'Arcy? No.
    Is Cave better than Earls? No.
    Is Cave a better bench option than McFadden? No.
    Is Gilroy better than Zebo? No.

The only dubious call would be Kilcoyne ahead of Court, but its pretty much the same situation as Henderson ahead of McLoughlin.

People will imagine issues with any team that Kidney picks. Its not really a problem with the team picked, its poster's problems with the man in charge.

That, good sir, is only your opinion.
    IMO
    Tuohy should be ahead of DOC.
    Henderson has been playing better than POM this seaon.
    Marshall has been playing better than Murray.
    Cave is a better 13 than Earls.
    Gilroy is most certainly as good as Zebo in my book.
    These are just my opinions though.

Regarding the issues around team selection, I'm fully aware there will always be disagreement amounst us supporters as to their favoured line-up. But you must admit the armchair ride given to some players is a tad annoying and adds fuel to any fire.
    And yes I have a serious problem with the man in charge, his policies over selections and gameplan, his attrocious win/loss ratio at a time when Irish rugby has never had it so good, his contempt for Irish rugby fans to not even have the courtesy to answer any valid questions without speaking in riddles and our awful home record under his tenure. Will that do?

Fireball07 wrote: »

I don't disagree with the Wallace thing but if we're going to replace D'Arcy, I'd rather it be with Marshall than Wallace tbh.

And I only left out Henderson because I don't think he starts in a strongest Ulster fifteen.

And the team mightn't play a brand of rugby we want to see, but we can't be 100% sure of that yet...the fact is it's a bit unfair to criticise Kidney for this selection when it's very close to what we (collectively) wanted.

Yeah, there'd be little point replace Darcy with another 'senior' player at this stage, time to build really.

I think if Henderson keeps playing the way he is, Ulster are going to find it very hard to drop him. Especially considering Ferris has very little rugby left in him if we're being honest.

I'd love to believe that about DK but at this stage I've given up and just want him gone. 3 years of tripe has broken the spirit I'm afraid.

Ciaran-Irl wrote: »

So, to be clear, if Fez/Best/Fitzpatrick were fit, your starting team would have Trimble, Bowe, Cave, Marshall, Ferris, Henderson, Tuohy, Henry & Best, with Court, Fitzpatrick, Gilroy & Jackson on the bench.

Ulster have had a great start to the season, but lets see if they keep it up and win some trophies first before replacing two thirds of the team. Henderson has had all of what, 5 starts now? I'm delighted he is on the bench, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. If Marshall can start the big games consistently and perform, then I'll be all for his starting for Ireland.

Well it would be Ferris or Henderson really. Yes, an arguement could be made for all those players. Why not? it's not like the current bunch are world beaters or anything of the sort. If somethings not working it's downright lunacy to keep replicating it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Court ahead of Mr Bent.
    Court as the TH cover???? I could see an argument for Court ahead of Kilcoyne but imo asking him to cover TH with 23 man squads is joke

Court as the TH cover???? I could see an argument for Court ahead of Kilcoyne but imo asking him to cover TH with 23 man squads is joke

Fair enough, I know Court got mullered last time out at TH but how do we know Bent is any good at TH either? It's not like he was pulling up trees during the Super rugby season and we've not seen him play a single game in this country yet.
    With Fitzpatrick out surely somebody like Hagan could have been given a try out instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Mr.Opti

That, good sir, is only your opinion.
    IMO
    Tuohy should be ahead of DOC.
    Henderson has been playing better than POM this seaon.
    Marshall has been playing better than Murray.
    Cave is a better 13 than Earls.
    Gilroy is most certainly as good as Zebo in my book.
    These are just my opinions though.

Very biased opinion though!! And i think most people would agree with the below:-

No way is Cave a better 13 then Earls & Zebo is much better then Gilroy.

Tuohy should be given some time in the AI's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Mr.Opti wrote: »

Very biased opinion though!! And i think most people would agree with the below:-

Gilroy is better than Zebo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

TBH I'd have DOC benching anyway, not that I mind McCarthy in the slightest.

The captain makes a good point about ROG. While we'd all probably have Jackson benching, I really wouldn't like to see him thrown into the fire 5 minutes into the game against the boks if Sexton gets injured! Not the nicest way to start an International career!

No he doesn't. ROG isn't the 2nd cousin of a test flyhalf anymore. Time to bring in Jackson.

Not biased at all, just the way I see it.

Cave is an actual 13, unlike Earls who is trying to become one.

There is no way Zebo is much better than Gilroy. I can only assume you don't bother watching him play if you think that.

We're pretty much agreed on Tuohy so.

close enough to the 'right team' from those available.

ROG not featuring I thought would be a step too far...

Just noticed Court's exclusion. Assumed Healy wasn't starting and Court was and that's why I could see Kilcoyne on the bench. Bit odd...

15. Zebo
    14. Bowe
    13. Earls
    12. D'Arcy
    11. Trimble
    10. Sexton (capt)
    9. Murray

1. Healy
    2. Strauss
    3. Ross
    4. Ryan
    5. POC
    6. POM
    7. Henry
    8. Heaslip

16. Cronin
    17. Kilcoyne
    18. Bent
    19. McCarthy
    20. Henderson
    21. Reddan
    22. Jackson
    23. McFadden

is the rumoured 23.

Rumoured where?

I would have major concerns re the selection of Zebo at FB but maybe they've been running him there during training; it would be very interesting one way or the other and if nothing else, it's not a conservative call...

And I'm sorry, but in what parallel universe has Kilcoyne done enough to get ahead of Court?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Pot kettle black? I certainly wouldn't agree with those 2 statements

• Registered Users Posts: 17,745 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I seriously seriously doubt that most people would agree Zebo is much better than Gilroy.

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    I seriously seriously doubt that most people would agree Zebo is much better than Gilroy.

I don't think there's that much of a gap either way.

Think Zebo at 15 could be quite interesting alright. Happier to see us take some risks after 4 years of dullness to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Zebo actually starts for his province so it's a no brainier to decide who's ahead.

Having said that in Kidney's mind the fact he plays for Munster goes significantly in his favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

it would be great to see McCarthy & Jackon in the 23 ahead of DOC and ROG.

Patrick Lambie is only 15 months older than Jackson and he played in this fixure 2 seasons ago and is due to start on Saturday.

I'd be delighted to see an infusion of youth in the squad in Henderson, Kilcoyne, Jackson and changing of the guard with McCarthy ahead of DOC.
    I've no problems with Zebo at 15, he can field and has a siege gun boot, i'd certainly start him ahead of a rusty Jones & Hurley, while i think Bowe is more effective as a winger who drifts around the park looking for work.
    Murray's bulk starting against SA makes sense, but i disagree that he's had a great season so far. The munster hype about POM sees him ahead of Mclaughin who i consider a far better 6 and far more suited to playing SA.

Hats off to DK if he goes with this squad, next for him to focus on is POC's 'ball carrying' we should have POC, Ryan, Ross, Strauss & Henry smashing rucks and leaving the carrying to Healy, Heaslip and further out POM.

danthefan wrote: »
    Zebo actually starts for his province so it's a no brainier to decide who's ahead.

Having said that in Kidney's mind the fact he plays for Munster goes significantly in his favour.

I hate that logic.

1) Gilroy is benching behind Andrew Trimble and Tommy Bowe. Who is Zebo ahead of? It's like saying Marshall can't play for Ireland because he's behind Ruan Pienaar, and because Murray is holding off Duncan Williams he's a better scrum-half.
    2) Gilroy was starting last season as Ulster stormed to a Heineken Cup final, is that all forgotten now?
    3) With a fully fit squad, it's questionable if Zebo would still be starting for Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I hate that logic.

1) Gilroy is benching behind Andrew Trimble and Tommy Bowe. Who is Zebo ahead of? It's like saying Marshall can't play for Ireland because he's behind Ruan Pienaar, and because Murray is holding off Duncan Williams he's a better scrum-half.
    2) Gilroy was starting last season as Ulster stormed to a Heineken Cup final, is that all forgotten now?
    3) With a fully fit squad, it's questionable if Zebo would still be starting for Munster.

What's the logic then that makes you so confident that Gilroy is definitely a better 15 than Zebo?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

No I don't agree with benching ROG. I'm just saying I'd be nervy seeing Jackson make his debut early if Sexton was injured!

Hopefully he would rise to the occasion though

I’d be more nervous with ROG coming on due to his inability to tackle and the abject displays he’s been putting in for a considerable period. Jackson is in fine form with a solid defence the reason not to pick him is the reason why many here have been damning Kidney for years – fear of change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭twinytwo

I don't think there's that much of a gap either way.

Think Zebo at 15 could be quite interesting alright. Happier to see us take some risks after 4 years of dullness to be honest.

Unfortuanately it is once again forced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

twinytwo wrote: »
    Unfortuanately it is once again forced.

I dont see any other way Zebo would end up at 15 though. Who in their right mind would start Zebo at 15 against the Boks as an unforced change ? Unforced meaning a fully fit squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Scioch wrote: »
    I dont see any other way Zebo would end up at 15 though. Who in their right mind would start Zebo at 15 against the Boks as an unforced change ??

*insert picture of DK*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

*insert picture of DK*

He's not real people though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement