Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Name change queries

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Thanks, that's a relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭dennyk

Punctuation and spacing in names is generally ignored for airline bookings, so it should make no difference as long as her name is complete and spelled correctly according to what's on her passport (disregarding punctuation). Hell, I've flown many times as Firstnamemiddlename Lastnamejr when the airline's system doesn't grok spaces or suffixes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I forgot to put in the hyphen with my wife's surname on an Air France booking. Instead of the hyphen I put a space.

Is this likely to be an issue?

Unlikely to cause a problem, the surname field on the booking will be reproduced in full (including the space) on the boarding pass because lots of continental surnames includes blanks so you'll be fine.

Remember the guy who stood in his bare feet in the creek on the 18th in the British Open in Carnoustie in 1999? Jan Van de Velde was his name. So one blank in your wife's surname won't cause any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Can anyone please advise me if be most grateful.

Last week I booked Ryanair flights and I was trying to use my Xmas Ryanair gift vouchers received and the vouchers were not accepted because the name on voucher didn't precisely match name on passport.

I now need to book more flights and want to still use the vouchers so I emailed Ryanair asked simple question asking to change a name on s gift voucher I received a big long standard reply referring me in circles to website.

I also sent DM on Ryanair Twitter and same scenario went round in circles.

I also tried to phone the Helpline and was on hold for 20 minutes and then got cut off because all my phone credit was used up.

Can anyone please suggest how I can simply fix the name on my gift vouchers and use them asap?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Can anyone please advise me if be most grateful.

Last week I booked Ryanair flights and I was trying to use my Xmas Ryanair gift vouchers received and the vouchers were not accepted because the name on voucher didn't precisely match name on passport.

I now need to book more flights and want to still use the vouchers so I emailed Ryanair asked simple question asking to change a name on s gift voucher I received a big long standard reply referring me in circles to website.

I also sent DM on Ryanair Twitter and same scenario went round in circles.

I also tried to phone the Helpline and was on hold for 20 minutes and then got cut off because all my phone credit was used up.

Can anyone please suggest how I can simply fix the name on my gift vouchers and use them asap?

I had a voucher for €100 in the name I'm generally known as and had the same problem. I got so fed up with trying to change it and eventually gave up. I was told it was possible and not possible depending on who I spoke to at Ryanair. I don't think anyone knew!

I eventually booked flights to the UK for myself (in the voucher name) and my girlfriend that came as close to €100 I could find. I couldn't just book for her, I had to be on the same booking because the voucher was in my name.

I then booked the same flights again just for me in my passport name and just paid for it. I was able to use €50 of the €100. I wasn't too happy but at least I got some value out of the voucher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I had the same issue a while ago, one extra letter in my name on the voucher that didn't match the passport.

I contacted the webchat and it was painless, they reassured me that it would not be a problem, and that would leave a note at the gate on both sectors. I wasn't absolutely sure it would be ok, but there was no problem on either the outward or return journey in the end. I amended booking to match the voucher name.

My voucher is in my wife's new marriage name. Her passport was prior to marriage.

I contacted Ryanair by very option today including several web chats and I just got runaround to go to website and they kept referring me to changing a booking even though I kept stressing I don't have a booking I just have a bloody voucher needs changing as the system won't allow me book with incorrect name.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

My voucher is in my wife's new marriage name. Her passport was prior to marriage.

I contacted Ryanair by very option today including several web chats and I just got runaround to go to website and they kept referring me to changing a booking even though I kept stressing I don't have a booking I just have a bloody voucher needs changing as the system won't allow me book with incorrect name.

Oh dear, that is not a simple spelling mistake in someone's name. Sorry, I didn't realise it was a complete difference in surnames. If it is within 24 hours it is free, but I realise that may not be the case now. Expensive to change name outside that window.

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/post-booking-changes/name-changes

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

The first name I'm known as is different to the first name on my passport. It was probably the most frustrating customer service experience I've ever had with any company trying to get the voucher name changed. I was being told a different thing every time I called, did a web chat. I was told I could do it (the guy said he would even make the change for me but never did), told I couldn't do it at all (in case the voucher had been stolen) and told that someone would get back to me about it, of course nobody ever did.

Even if you did book a flight with the voucher in the marriage name and tried to change the name after the booking within 24 hours Ryanair's system will recognise the name change from the voucher name and won't let you make the amendment. I tried it with my own booking on the off chance.

Oh dear, that is not a simple spelling mistake in someone's name. Sorry, I didn't realise it was a complete difference in surnames. If it is within 24 hours it is free, but I realise that may not be the case now. Expensive to change name outside that window.
    Z

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/post-booking-changes/name-changes

That link is only relevant for flight bookings not for gift vouchers.

I will purchase my wife a new passport rather tan let them away with this robbery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Perhaps you might try the Small Claims Court.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/courts_system/small_claims_court.html

They have your benefactor's money and are unreasonably refusing to give you it's value.

I want to share my good news as someone else may benefit some day :)

Each time I got the runaround was because the online chat was out of office hours and a computer was relaying standard replies dismissing me.

Today I did the chat to a proper person and within ten minutes they issued me two new vouchers with the required name fix.

My faith is restored in Ryanair I'm delighted now :)

I want to share my good news as someone else may benefit some day :)

Each time I got the runaround was because the online chat was out of office hours and a computer was relaying standard replies dismissing me.

Today I did the chat to a proper person and within ten minutes they issued me two new vouchers with the required name fix.

My faith is restored in Ryanair I'm delighted now :)

Wish I got who you got!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭dinjo99

Looking for advice please.

I booked a return flight for my sister on Ryanair to Europe.

Her name is Mary Meeney.

I have just discovered that I have booked the seat as Mary Menney.

The flight is to Spain in the summer but it has been booked since January.

Is there a probability that she will get through with this or do I need to cough up for a name change?

Where will the problem arise, check in...psssport control???

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Should be fine. Most airlines have a brief look at the photo and name, that's all. Once the passport number is fine, it should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

If you contact Ryanair via their chat or social media they will change minor typos like yours for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

The Ryanair website states that errors with one letter do not need to be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

hello, our family is going on a retirement holiday next year and the mother has booked tickets for all of us with ryanair. Problem is she has put my name down as sean on the booking and not John which would be my given name, i tried to change it online but its asking for 115 euro for the privilege. Will it be a case of just explaining that im called sean but my given name is john or should i be ringing ryanair to sort this. holiday isnt until next february so im a bit annoyed with this 115 euro charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

hello, our family is going on a retirement holiday next year and the mother has booked tickets for all of us with ryanair. Problem is she has put my name down as sean on the booking and not John which would be my given name, i tried to change it online but its asking for 115 euro for the privilege. Will it be a case of just explaining that im called sean but my given name is john or should i be ringing ryanair to sort this. holiday isnt until next february so im a bit annoyed with this 115 euro charge.

You'll have to pay the fee I'm afraid. No way around it

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭The-Rafalution

If the booking was less than 24 hours ago, you should be able to change the name for free as this is the grace period. Otherwise you would have to pay for the change unfortunately.
    More information here: https://www.ryanair.com/us/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/Flight-Changes-And-Refunds/Minor-booking-changes-within-24-hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

What name is on your passport?

Rather than trying to change it online maybe try messaging Ryanair via their social media?

I know they will change typos for free. Might be worth a shot. Cheaper to get a new passport.......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Get onto them on their chat or twitter. When you get an actual person they can be surprisingly helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭Cartman78

D'oh!

Just went to check in for a flight tomorrow and noticed that there is a minor typo on my wife's name (eg. it's similar to Cartman being spelt as Catrman).

On hold now for the last half an hour with Aer Lingus but will have to drop off soon as i'm at work :rolleyes:

Is this something that could be an issue at the airport?

thanks in advance cm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Cartman78 wrote: »
    D'oh!

Just went to check in for a flight tomorrow and noticed that there is a minor typo on my wife's name (eg. it's similar to Cartman being spelt as Catrman).

On hold now for the last half an hour with Aer Lingus but will have to drop off soon as i'm at work :rolleyes:

Is this something that could be an issue at the airport?

thanks in advance cm

Better to have to have it fixed - if you have twitter, try there, they are usually helpful and quick to reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Unless flying to Spain, Portugal, Netherlands, Czech Republic, US, Canada or somewhere where a visa is required it is unlikely to be an issue.

Typos almost always are changed for free, the problem won't be Dublin it will be on the far side coming back, so better safe than sorry, get it fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Better to have to have it fixed - if you have twitter, try there, they are usually helpful and quick to reply.

Cheers - got sorted in the end on the phone (on hold for about 45 mins).

Simultaneously annoyed at myself for the typo and extremely relieved that I finally noticed it today rather than tomorrow morning at the departure gate :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

You wouldn't have gotten as far as the departure gate !

• Registered Users Posts: 26 alongwaytotipp

Hi,
    I made a mistake in booking a flight from Lanzarote to Ireland for a friend where I had the wrong surname (I used married name but passport still in maiden name) and had Anne instead of Ann as the first name. I was able to change the surname free of charge but to adjust the first name (by just dropping the 'e') they will charge me €115 !. I am telling her it will not matter but would like to get public opinion... could Ryanair cause a fuss over this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Hi,
    I made a mistake in booking a flight from Lanzarote to Ireland for a friend where I had the wrong surname (I used married name but passport still in maiden name) and had Anne instead of Ann as the first name. I was able to change the surname free of charge but to adjust the first name (by just dropping the 'e') they will charge me €115 !. I am telling her it will not matter but would like to get public opinion... could Ryanair cause a fuss over this ?
    How long ago did you book it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 alongwaytotipp

I booked it this morning which is why I was able to change the surname free of charge. When I try to also change the firstname the fee applies. She's flying next week.

Advertisement