Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Name change queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 niamhiemaria

Booked flights for my friend she said her full name was Catherine on her passport but when I checked us in today I noticed it was her nickname Katie on the passport. Is the nickname too different to chance not changing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

those are 2 different names and tickets must match passport.

Katie is actually short for Catherine, but I got onto live chat this morning and they fixed it free of charge

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chinwag

Katie is actually short for Catherine, but I got onto live chat this morning and they fixed it free of charge

That was a good outcome. What airline was it?

chinwag wrote: »
    That was a good outcome. What airline was it?

Ryanair, couldn't believe they were so good about it. I was certain I'd have to pay more than the flight for the change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Hey,

My mate and his girlfriend are travelling to thailand this summer and he has just noticed that on the booking his girlfriend is listed as "mrs" instead of "miss" !

Anyone reckon this will be an issue at all ? Will it need to be changed and would there be a cost involved ?

any feedback would be great !

Ian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

I would not expect that it would be an issue as I don't believe your passport describes Mr/Mrs/Miss, only your sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Downtime wrote: »
    I would not expect that it would be an issue as I don't believe your passport describes Mr/Mrs/Miss, only your sex.

This is right, for Irish passports anyway so should be no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 25,346 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The question is asked purely to determine the gender of the passenger so there is absolutely no difference between Ms. and Mrs. and since a female passenger's passport doesn't indicate whether she is married or not, there is no scope for it causing a problem.

The prefix field is a subtle way of asking the gender of the passenger for weight (& hence fuel) calculation - that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 redjk

A friend of mine was due to travel this Friday and return next week. He is no longer able to travel and I wish to take his place. Am wondering is it €110 each way name change or is that the fee including return. I am also wondering if I can do this tomorrow as the customer service is now closed.
    Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Ryanair do not do not sell return flights. They only sell one way flights. Your friend would have booked two one way flights, one out and one back. So all fees are per flight, not per trip. The fees vary depending on the season. What ever fee is listed on the Ryanair website, it will be that fee for each flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 redjk

Thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Your friend should be able to change names up to 4 hours before the departure, and could see straight away how much would that cost.

There is a reason for these charges to be there, otherwise some people and agents would pre-book all well priced flights and resell them at a profit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Designator

Rcenetly booked flights over to malaga with aer lingus and back to malaga with ryanair, however the spelling of one of the names "Michael", is actually spelt "Michéal" on his passport and I need to change this, I was changing it on ryanairs website just now and they tried to charge me €110 for it , is there anyway I can change it for free? Its simply to change two letters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Speak to customer services directly & chances are the change will be made for you gratis.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Lulucas

Hi need help!!! I book a holiday and got airline e ticket via email.. My daughters passport reads first name my surname and my husbands surname (double barrel) but on the airline ticket her name read " first name and husbands surname " anyone know if this will be a problem ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

and my passport in my maiden name!!! have never made this mistake before. Flying on Sunday to UK with Ryanair....have tried to call them but no joy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/Flight-Changes-And-Refunds/Incorrect-name-booked-marriage-or-maiden-name

Hopefully you get through soon.
    If not, do you have copy of your marriage cert?
    I read somewhere where they brought a copy when checking in and the agent could change it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Contact them on Twitter - they were great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Folks...ye are great. I rang and eventually got through. A sound guy changed it for me. Sent a confirmation email and advised I bring my marriage cert. (now, I hope I can dig that up!!)..thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭billie1b

Lulucas wrote: »
    Hi need help!!! I book a holiday and got airline e ticket via email.. My daughters passport reads first name my surname and my husbands surname (double barrel) but on the airline ticket her name read " first name and husbands surname " anyone know if this will be a problem ???

The double barrell name is fine with just one of the two surnames, your name will also be fine if you can provide your marraige certificate with your passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Ok probably stupid question my passport as most Irish has my middle name so under forenames Oliver Paul. My virgin tickets just had my Name Oliver O Brien.
    Do include the middle name on ESTA it's a big confusing

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Whatever is on your passport, enter into the ESTA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Hello people!
    I have a bit of a teaser here.
    Booking a holiday with other people.
    My name - my passport name - is John Joseph Murphy.
    I am known as Joseph Murphy.
    The holiday and tickets will come through as Joseph Murphy.
    I am sure I have traveled with this name in the past.
    Will this cause any issue at the airport does anyone think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

if going to the USA it may cause serious problems. Otherwise its normal enough, but always safer to have the full name as per passport on tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Hi if my travel companion decides not to come,can I change name if someone takes his place? Its with are lingus.
    Thanks
    S

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Hi if my travel companion decides not to come,can I change name if someone takes his place? Its with are lingus.
    Thanks
    S

Having a look at the website usually helps, although I suppose you have to spell the name of the airline correctly first. (Aer Lingus)

Try this website :https://www.aerlingus.com/support/changing-your-booking/

In Europe economy it costs €40 per person per flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I thought OP was referring to Aer Lingus changing its name!

Anyway, name changes cost money, but it can be done. Check the website for info. Manage my booking I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Due to fly out tomorrow morning and just realised that I screwed up on the reservation... book AL flights for the wife under our married name but she had her maiden name on the passport.

Call centre was closed by the time we copped it this evening.

Going to bring marriage cert and her birth cert with us to check in desk.. do you think we'll be OK at this stage? Call centre only opens about an hour before the flight..

Advertisement