Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Name change queries

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Yes, bring marriage cert sure it will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭xabi

Did the same a few years ago flying with Ryanair, no problem changing it, but was a few weeks before flight, call them as soon as they open and bring all the stuff to airport, hope it all works out, sure it will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

Go to the ticket desk in airport, not the check-in desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,291 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

maximum12 wrote: »
    Go to the ticket desk in airport, not the check-in desk.

That's what I meant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭xabi

Reminds me of the story of the lad who changed his name by deed pole to avoid the name change charge, think he saved a few quid.

http://www.thejournal.ie/student-changes-name-ryanair-ticket-2144545-Jun2015/

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    That's what I meant

Although just thinking about it, it was after doing online check-in that my wife copped it so we've probably proper f--ked ourselves or can that still be resolved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

lawred2 wrote: »
    Although just thinking about it, it was after doing online check-in that my wife copped it so we've probably proper f--ked ourselves or can that still be resolved?

It should be fine. There's nothing stopping them creating a new ticket if necessary.

Was no problem in the end... sorted with a marriage cert (which wasn't really looked at if I'm honest)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Just wondering has anybody got any experience of traveling using observation name on passport as opposed to actual passport name (i.e different surname) on the tickets and has there ever been any issues with airlines etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 juru

Hi Just wondering if anybody can give me advice. I booked 5 tickets for a family but forgot to put surname for one of the passengers whose name is the same as other passengers. Do you think ryanair will charge me the full change fee.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jennyhayes123

Usually If you contact them within 24 hours they will change it for free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

I have an apostrophe in my second name . Do I put this on ESTA ? The airline won't accept it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Going to the sun next week. OH booked 4 tickets on Ryanair. Booked 13yr old as an adult and now website won't let her check in as it doesn't offer the date of birth required.
    Will call in the morning but wondering if anyone was caught with this before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Just drop the apostrophe and enter it as one word. oneill instead of O' Neill etc.

Cheers Fred . Bit confusing says enter as appears on passport . Passport has apostrophe but the machine readable part at bottom doesn't and has name all one word!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭natty_asha

Hi so my friend booked transatlantic flights a few months ago for a trip next month. When she booked them she booked them under her maiden name as per her passport.

In the meantime she goy a new passport with her married name and now she has to change the name on the booking.

She booked the flights through Edreams and they wont change the booking for her. She has contacted the airlines but they need confirmation through Edreams who are unwilling to do anything.

Can anyone advise on what they can do to get this resolved? Edreams have blocked their numbers so they can't contact them anymore to try resolve everything.

Our flights are in two weeks so we don't have much time to resolve everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭VG31

There's probably not much you can do. If you read their T&Cs it most likely explains their policy about name changes. I know most people do not read these but that isn't the site's problem.

This is why you should try to book directly with the airline as they will normally change you name for a fee. Booking sites should generally be avoided for flights apart from a few like Expedia.

VG31 wrote: »
    There's probably not much you can do. If you read their T&Cs it most likely explains their policy about name changes. I know most people do not read these but that isn't the site's problem.

This is why you should try to book directly with the airline as they will normally change you name for a fee. Booking sites should generally be avoided for flights apart from a few like Expedia.

Yeah their term and conditions state they don't allow transferring tickets or name changes. They allow spelling corrections for a fee.

She's just frustrated because the airlines said they will.change the name on their system if Edreams just email them notifying them. She's happy to pay for the change but EDreams have just cut communications.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Could she bring her old passport with her on the journey to check-in?

Could she bring her old passport with her on the journey to check-in?

I've told her to bring everything with her - marriage cert etc. Airlines have said they are happy to accommodate her anyway. More so concerned now about US Preclearence in Dublin and if they will let her through. She's going to make contact with them today and see what advise if any they have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Not being smart, but why did she go and change the passport to the married name when there was expensive flights already booked in her old name ?

personally I avoid the likes of eDreams and other bargain basement flight agents in Spain and Greece as you hear far too often of issues when you need some customer service, and if they have a cheap flight then most likely opodo (owned by a group of airlines) or massive international online travel agencies like expedia etc will have the same options at the same or very similar price.
    Only in the spring I was stuck for a flight on a bank holiday weekend and the best option on skyscanner was through some jokers in Greece. When I went to opodo the very same connection (which was a strange one as the return leg was business class which wasnt possible to book through the airline) was the same price so I booked that instead.

and back on those cheapo travel agencies from far off warm Mediterranean lands , they also have a great record of giving deals on hotels which then get cancelled at some stage down the line leaving you in the lurch and sometimes too late to book a reasonable alternative.

anyhow, hope all works out eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

Just booked flights with Ryanair to Birmingham with my friend who is not married. I booked the flights and out Mrs instead of Ms... Will this be a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭macchoille

TheFitz13 wrote: »
    Just booked flights with Ryanair to Birmingham with my friend who is not married. I booked the flights and out Mrs instead of Ms... Will this be a problem?

Far as I know passports don't indicate marital status. So long as the name matches the gate staff won't care.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Yep, won't be an issue.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

No issue at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Happened to me before too, no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

Thanks for all the replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 billstan

Hi Everybody,

When booking two sets of tickets, to the Philippines, I mistakenly put a completely different surname into one of the names, e.g. Sarah Staunton instead of Sarah Murphy. This is because although my partner is called Sarah so is my sister.
    This mistake was noticed immediately after the tickets were purchased, and we contacted the Dublin helpline to try change the name. However the line was cut off. We have called Etihad on two other occasions to try sort out the issue, however we have been told both times it is not possible to change. This obviously has caused a lot of upset considering we are being told that we need to hand over another €850 for a ticket. We presumed it would be a straight forward name change with a reasonable penalty charge.
    We know only three letters can be changed and that if I can prove she was Staunton before Murphy it can be changed, but in both cases we are stuck.
    If it helps my partner paid for the tickets off her card and I can also prove that my sister had no intention of buying a ticket.
    This thread is my last hope as I feel like I have no choice only pay for the extra ticket.
    I hope someone can help us in this frustrating situation.
    Thanks for reading!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Not all airlines/fares allow for name changes. Corrections for obvious typos (John for Jon, Smith for Smyth) are one thing - but this a whole name change.

So unfortunately you may indeed have no choice but shell out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

I stupidly booked a flight on Ryanair with the English spelling of my surname and my passport has the Irish spelling.
    My driving licence has the English spelling.

Do Ryanair allow you to change the name for a fee or what can i do at this stage???
    Flight tomorrow.

Advertisement