Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Name change queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Ciarajohnstone

As in you were booking for 2 people and have your own name on 2 tickets or only meant to book one ticket

Only meant to book one ticket

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Only meant to book one ticket

Call the airline immediately and tell them the situation. Hopefully they will cancel one seat and refund. I presume you only booked this very recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Ciarajohnstone

Call the airline immediately and tell them the situation. Hopefully they will cancel one seat and refund. I presume you only booked this very recently.

I did they won’t refund... but as long as I’m allowed on the plane it’ll be okay...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

You could try reversing the charges to your account if you ring the bank

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

You could try reversing the charges to your account if you ring the bank

That's not correct.

OP Of course you'll be allowed on the plane just because you booked 2 tickets in your own name for the same flight won't see you kicked off. Just check in once and you're fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

How ye?

I booked a flight recently through tripsta and even though I made sure everything was correct when checking in, the prefix of mrs is stitched on to my name i.e katiemrs lalala. Does anyone know if this is going to be a problem in the airport? I rang the airline and they said its grand, i just need to be fully fully fully fully sure. Travelling can be stressful. I hate airports 🙈

Ok thanks, bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,346 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The Mr/Mrs question when booking a flight is to do with fuel calculation, the airlines use average weights for adult men, adult women, children and infants when calculating how much fuel the plane needs. One or two men booked as women or vice versa doesn't bother them, chances are that there's a few such errors on each flight and that they cancel each other out.

The airline has already told you that there's no problem, nobody else cares so you'll be grand. I just looked at an Aer Lingus boarding pass from last month and there's no mention of my gender anywhere. All that matters is that you can produce a passport or acceptable id to match the name on the booking, regardless of your gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

The could have utilised the space bar or i'd even have settled for brackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,346 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Sorry, I misunderstood the problem. I see that the issue is that they have appended 'mrs' at the end of your first name. I don't think this will be an issue. It's likely they did that for all of the passengers on the flight because every adult is required to book as a Mr, Mrs or Ms. The airline have already told you it's ok so I wouldn't worry about it, it's going to be obvious to the agent at the boarding gate that you are not impersonating someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭misschoo

I’m in a similar situation for a flight to the States in September. I booked through Skyscanner and they put my name (hypothetical - not my real namel) as “Sarahmary Jones” on the ticket instead of “Sarah Mary Jones” (as what’s on my passport) even though that’s not what I entered when booking so I’m a bit panicked. When they sent me my booking information it was to “Sarah Mary Jones”. I’m hoping I’ll get away with it.

Anyone any thoughts on this?

misschoo wrote: »
    I’m in a similar situation for a flight to the States in September. I booked through Skyscanner and they put my name (hypothetical - not my real namel) as “Sarahmary Jones” on the ticket instead of “Sarah Mary Jones” (as what’s on my passport) even though that’s not what I entered when booking so I’m a bit panicked. When they sent me my booking information it was to “Sarah Mary Jones”. I’m hoping I’ll get away with it.

Anyone any thoughts on this?

This was how my last booking to the US appeared after booking through ebookers

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭misschoo

Did you have any problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Howardrunun

I booked for a trip on the ryanair app, but on my boarding pass my surename and and first name is reversed. I have a Chinese name so I entered my surename as my first name and given name as my last name on my personal details on the app out of habbit. I had previously booked flights before from the website and had entered them correctly. But this time on the app I forgot about it and just clicked on my personal info without changing it when selecting a passenger. The name are not in the right order but spelled correctly. My document will be a ID card which has my signature on it the exact way my boarding pass does (still in the "wrong" order). I had already checked in and it has been over a month since I booked. I am worried that they might not let me board the plane. I have looked all over the internet for answers but didn't find anything recent or relevant. I would appreciate if people can guide me as to what I should do if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

In my experience they never look that closely but I travel with an Irish PP card so maybe that's why.

Ryanair can change the name but the fee is €50 if I remember correctly. That might be most of the price of the ticket.

ED E wrote: »
    In my experience they never look that closely but I travel with an Irish PP card so maybe that's why.

Ryanair can change the name but the fee is €50 if I remember correctly. That might be most of the price of the ticket.

Do you think I should just chance it and hope they don't see anything wrong? I use a Portuguese ID card and it has my signature at the bottom which is pretty clear and I wrote it in the exact order as on my boarding pass. Last time I traveled they didn't really notice it or maybe they just read the card and saw my first and surname. It is a flight in the morning so maybe they won't inspect too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

With it being a Chinese name if you were asked If just say it printed that way and shrug (or came out that way on the app). If you're using the Chinese character set and not the English form then they won't even try to read it.

ED E wrote: »
    With it being a Chinese name if you were asked If just say it printed that way and shrug (or came out that way on the app). If you're using the Chinese character set and not the English form then they won't even try to read it.

It's a Chinese name but it's spelled it English. So kind of like Kim Jong Un as an example. It's not an English name but it's spelled in English. I checked in online and the boarding pass is on the Ryanair app.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Just say it is normal for your passport to show your name in the incorrect order and the app boarding pass is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Never once had the name checked closely with Ryanair - they're basically checking it's the right flight. Beyond that no one is checking the passport and boarding card together.

As long as it's the same (but in reverse) on the passport just say if you are even challenged that it's just the family name which is used first in your custom

• Advertisement

I have looked everywhere online and it seems like people get on fine without having to cancel flight or pay ridiculous fees to change name or book new flight. But different airline have different approach and my experience might be different from others. I'm just panicking because this trip is really important for me and it would be tragic if I had to cancelled it. Thank you everyone for replying and I will let you all know how it goes in about a month.

Would I have any problem going through the security and custom?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Would I have any problem going through the security and custom?

Security or customs don't care what your name is. Security only check for the boarding card and customs after you arrive in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

fritzelly wrote: »
    Never once had the name checked closely with Ryanair - they're basically checking it's the right flight. Beyond that no one is checking the passport and boarding card together.

The last few Ryanair flights I got they checked both the passport and boarding pass matched. There was an Asian lady ahead of me who's name didn't match and she was pulled aside, there was part of her name missing not the wrong order. The thing is that I'd checked in a friend a few years ago with the short version of their name not what was on their passport and they were fine but the woman a few weeks ago wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭JamieHP

Booked a flight for a friend, I booked the fight with his name second name, starting with Mac and later found out it is spelled Mc on his passport. We're flying with Ryanair with a group of 8 of us. Will this be a problem?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Get on to them on live chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,309 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It’ll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭JamieHP

Just DM'd them on twitter. Got it sorted. Thanks guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

I forgot to put in the hyphen with my wife's surname on an Air France booking. Instead of the hyphen I put a space.

Is this likely to be an issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

no

Advertisement