Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Name change queries

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

nino1 wrote: »
    I stupidly booked a flight on Ryanair with the English spelling of my surname and my passport has the Irish spelling.
    My driving licence has the English spelling.

Do Ryanair allow you to change the name for a fee or what can i do at this stage???
    Flight tomorrow.

If you booked in last 24 hours you can amend name for free I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

Cheers. I booked a few weeks ago.
    I don't mind paying a fee as long as it's still possible to do so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Who checks the name on the pass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭TanFlash

Won't matter, when going through , wait til end when they are rushing to close gate, just to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭promises

Similar thing happened me few years ago with ryanair, as I had checked in with the incorrect name I couldn't change it, I would have to buy a new ticket. I couldn't afford last minute prices so I took a chance and nobody even noticed. The surnames was no where close to each other. Things may have changed since then tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I contacted Ryanair through Twitter when my mam had a ticket booked with a wrong spelling of her name. They were very helpful. Give them a shout and they should be able to sort it for you before you travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Similar issue sorted for me for free recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

My parents are both known my their middle names, and even more confusing my mam known as Peggy not Margaret. So they did own visas for Australia and sailed through...tickets were correct but visas were in known as names.

However same trip....me...

They always said that I had a name that couldn't be shortened...but managed to give me five. I have all on my passport. In going to Australia and getting my visa, for space reasons, I only put in the first three. I was stopped on immigration into Australia and kept for two hours!

I eventually got in by explaining confirmation names...not exactly true
    Depends who you get.

BTW I have a mate who always puts his title as Dr. Works wonders. He does have a PhD but he reckons he gets upgraded because of being thought of as a medical doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Thierry

Hi,

I have just booked a round trip flight with Ryanair for myself + infant, a 7 year old boy and my wife - in that order in the booking fields.
    I have selected Mr for myself and then Mr for my son and them Mrs for my wife (there is no option for infant).

After booking all seats, bags etc and making payment, the reservation flights came back with titles as such:
    - Mr for myself + infant
    - Mr for my son
    - Child for my wife.

Would that cause a problem when checking-in this summer or when boarding.
    I tried to change it online, but it only allows to name change (at a cost of €110.00), not title.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I have contacted Ryanair via Twitter over a title change before and they were very helpful - . Maybe give them a shout through this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Give them a call. Within the first few hours they have usually been quite good at rectifying minor errors, which is what I would consider this to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

There is no issue, wouldn't call them, but rather use chat.. you have an audit trail. And they have rectified more serious mistakes for me free of hassle and charges..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,346 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The titles are there purely for fuel calculation, they use averages weights for men, women, children and infants. I seriously doubt that anyone at the gate will notice, all they care about is the match between the passport name and the name on the boarding pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

GBX wrote: »
    Ryanair were very helpful
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭all the bais

Hi folks,

I recently booked flights via mytrip.com

I have only now noticed when I check Turkish Airlines webpage using my reservation code, that the Mrs' first name and surname have been switched.I have informed both the travel agents & Turkish Airlines of the mix up, and they have 'made a note' which will be visible to the check in staff. However they are unable to change the name to the correct format.

Has anyone ever experienced this, and would you anticipate any problems on check in?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

provided the names match the passport there is no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ryanair change minor typos, married/maiden name balls ups the entire time free of charge.

It's changing an entire name (as in it's a different person taking the seat) that costs extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Marv8

Has anybody ever had this issue with Aer Lingus?
    I booked in my partner as Mr. instead of Ms.
    I did it through expedia and the company I did it with, dont seem to know if I'll be charged to change it or how much its likely to cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Mr/Mrs/Miss etc have no meaning at all (Dr has some legal consequences in Germany but thats not at issue here)

For the most part many airlines drop the titles so they don't appear on the boarding card anyway

Once the first name and last name match the passport its cool

• Registered Users Posts: 14,783 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I assume it's up to you what title you want to use - check out the options if you're buying tickets for Royal Ascot:

bPXX9pX.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

Happened to me when flying to US - except that I inverted my first and last name. Noticed it before I left for the trip but decided to chance it.
    I had no issue on outbound journey. When I was flying back, only option for check in was self service machine but of course machine could not reconcile passport name and booking name.
    Went to customer service, played dumb - couldn't understand what was wrong etc. Agent took a couple of minutes to work out the issue and pointed it out to me.
    Still played the dumb card, said it had not been a problem on outward journey - in fact I said to her that the only problem had been weather delays etc - had taken me two and a half days to get to Minneapolis instead of half a day. She was very apologetic and handed me my boarding cards (connecting flight in Chicago) with a bonus upgrade for Chicago-Dub leg.
    Nice outcome!!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Marv8

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'm in a slightly similar pickle. My daughters middle name has 2 n's in it. My wife spelt her name with 1 n. Booked through Expedia and flying aer lingus. Thinking of just playing dumb and going on anyway. Thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,346 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The gender thing (Mr/Ms) is purely there for weight calculation, this in turn determines how much fuel the plane needs. There are four categories of passengers - M/F/C/I - Male, Female, Child or Infant. Average weights are used in each case with male adults weighing more than adult females.

The code used to be visible on old-style airline tickets, I'm not aware that it gets included on your boarding cards so if you get it wrong on the booking, it's highly unlikely that the agent at the boarding gate will be aware that the female passenger about to board was booked as 'Mr.'

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ratzo Rizzo

I recently booked a flight with Aer Lingus for myself and my nephew who has a double barrel surname. The problem is that his surname is shown as all one word on the boarding pass, not two separate names.
    Will this be an issue at boarding??

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

No, my name on my passport is double barrell and it never causes a problem. It always comes out as one long word on the boarding pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ratzo Rizzo

Toots wrote: »
    No, my name on my passport is double barrell and it never causes a problem. It always comes out as one long word on the boarding pass.

Great! Thanks for the quick reply, nephew is super excited to be flying to London with me, would be a pity if he was refused boarding for something as minor as no space between his surname. :)

loyatemu wrote: »
    I assume it's up to you what title you want to use - check out the options if you're buying tickets for Royal Ascot:

bPXX9pX.jpg

that's either some top quality lampooning or the result of some extreme pomposity...

I'd love to know which

• Advertisement

This post has been deleted.

I recently booked tickets for my wife with my surname... Passport in maiden name.

Brought our marriage cert in case but didn't mention anything.

Did anyone even notice the discrepancy. Nope.

So one missing/extra 'n' will definitely not be noticed.

Advertisement