Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Content Speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

byte wrote: »
    I think an RTE Choice/RTE Extra type channel, with best bits of 1 and 2 would be considerably better than the stupid timeshift channel.

I have to say I've found it very useful if I missed something earlier, I've watched it more than TV3 I would say. Even the BBC are going down the +1 route for BBC1.

Elmo wrote: »
    Your missing a bigger error by the way.

Is this the error you're referring to - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70844439

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The Cush wrote: »
    Is this the error you're referring to - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70844439

Yourself and Watty should work for DCENR (though I mean that)

Elmo wrote: »
    Perhaps an RTÉ Ireland channel that could broadcast in Ireland and Internationally? Kill two birds with one stone and all.

As per their 5 year strategy but I think we would have a lot of duplication with the 2 main channels such as news/current affairs etc. that would have to go out live to the diaspora.

I have to say I've found it very useful if I missed something earlier, I've watched it more than TV3 I would say. Even the BBC are going down the +1 route for BBC1.

You could have RTÉ Ireland broadcast all Irish shows an hour later from both RTÉ ONE and TWO, with filler repeats.

BBC and other UK broadcasters got to +1 a number of years after providing other repeat services.

• Advertisement

DCTV to close so it won't be appearing on Saorview. I guess we can rule out CCTV for cork viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Anyone taking bets as whether UTVI is on Saorview before Oireachtas TV or Irish Film Board?
    DublinCTV and CorkCTV were never likely Saorview or Satellite channels. Costs too high.

The People's Republic of Cork more likely to get the International CCTV :D (But Satellite only)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Frainc

I presume this UTV channel in Dublin would go on saorview?

Frainc wrote: »

That would be the presumption.

UTVI probably from 2015

• Advertisement

That would be the presumption.

There is no assuming or presumptions only speculation. Get your own threads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Wonder what's the possibility of Al Jazeera going on Saorview? I thought they paid to be on whatever platform they could?

Frainc wrote: »
    Yea, more rescanning for everyone!!:D

We'll never catch up with the amount of rescans some UK places have had. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Would for instance .... RTÉ One, RTÉ/Two, TV3, TG4, UTV all in HD along with News Now, 3e and the radio stations all fit on the two existing fired up Mux's?

irishfeen wrote: »
    Would for instance .... RTÉ One, RTÉ/Two, TV3, TG4, UTV all in HD along with News Now, 3e and the radio stations all fit on the two existing fired up Mux's?

Yes but little spare capacity for any future services.

A mux has a capacity of 24.1 Mbps and probably a useful capacity of maybe 22 Mbps after overheads.

An HD channel uses an avg of 6.5 Mbps and an SD channel an avg of 2.5 Mbps and radio an avg of 100 kbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Yes but little spare capacity for any future services.

A mux has a capacity of 24.1 Mbps and probably a useful capacity of maybe 22 Mbps after overheads.

An HD channel uses an avg of 6.5 Mbps and an SD channel an avg of 2.5 Mbps and radio an avg of 100 kbps.

Is there a possibility of more Mux's??

Is there a possibility of more Mux's??

A 3rd PSB Mux can be made available if required (http://cce.gno.ie/news/2012/10Oct/11dso.php)

The frequency plan allows for 6 muxes.

Four easily by 2015. Only the same amount of Spectrum as before Digital and less Electricity!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭Antenna

watty wrote: »
    Four easily by 2015. Only the same amount of Spectrum as before Digital and less Electricity!

Though more electricity than before at the receiving end, if viewers had to get STBs for existing TVs, the STBs don't run on fresh air :). (There are greater electricity costs for people who had to get SaorSAT at ASO as a LNB has to be powered as well)

The savings at the transmission end would not be as much as some people think.
    Some here think the ERP of the main transmitters is what the output power of the actual transmitters is/was, whilst in fact the latter was only about 10kW each for analogue channels at the main mountain sites. The max ERP is of course the max power after antenna gain at the horizon, and might only be at max in certain directions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

A 3rd PSB Mux can be made available if required (http://cce.gno.ie/news/2012/10Oct/11dso.php)

The frequency plan allows for 6 muxes.
    The 3rd Mux should be a T2 and this would give up to 40Mbps.
    Are any T2 planned?

Souriau wrote: »
    Are any T2 planned?

No T2 planned for PSB muxes, they won't go down that road for the PSB muxes and force people to upgrade their equipment. Pay DTT is the only chance DVB-T2 will see the light of day here as receivers would have to be upgraded for CAS in any case.

Souriau wrote: »
    Are any T2 planned?
    No T2 for the foreseeable future but it is now part of the Saorview spec. (NorDig). I suppose eventually all DTT will move over to T2, certainly in the UK where HD channels have to be duplicated in SD MPEG2.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

Antenna wrote: »
    Though more electricity than before at the receiving end, if viewers had to get STBs for existing TVs, the STBs don't run on fresh air :). (There are greater electricity costs for people who had to get SaorSAT at ASO as a LNB has to be powered as well)

The savings at the transmission end would not be as much as some people think.
    Some here think the ERP of the main transmitters is what the output power of the actual transmitters is/was, whilst in fact the latter was only about 10kW each for analogue channels at the main mountain sites. The max ERP is of course the max power after antenna gain at the horizon, and might only be at max in certain directions.

In the short term, yes those who have added STB's to existing TV's will be using marginally more energy. However, in the longer term, as viewers replace old TV sets with newer technology, they will be many times more energy efficient than the old equipment, hence overall lower running costs.

Backlight is the biggest power consumption. Not the receiver. Many CRTS actually used LESS power than the LCD backlight or Plasma panel, partly because they were much smaller. A 12" B&W CRT is more efficient though than same size LCD.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

watty wrote: »
    Backlight is the biggest power consumption. Not the receiver. Many CRTS actually used LESS power than the LCD backlight or Plasma panel, partly because they were much smaller. A 12" B&W CRT is more efficient though than same size LCD.
    For Plasma and CRT the power depends on the brightness. If watching SciFi/Horror with lots of dark scenes then the power consumption can be lower than LCD

The ideal would be something like every pixel being LED, instead of the what morketing describe as "LED" which is just LED replacing a fluorescent tube for backlighting

Weren't the crowd behind the display for One Laptop Per Child working on colour LCD that didn't need a backlight ?

UTV recently announced that they are now available in HD on broadcast platforms. Does mean that if they go on Saorview they might go HD too and stump up some cash to get Mux 2 going ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

UTV recently announced that they are now available in HD on broadcast platforms. Does mean that if they go on Saorview they might go HD too and stump up some cash to get Mux 2 going ?

Mux2 is going.

The ideal would be something like every pixel being LED, instead of the what morketing describe as "LED" which is just LED replacing a fluorescent tube for backlighting

Weren't the crowd behind the display for One Laptop Per Child working on colour LCD that didn't need a backlight ?

Sony has a "crystal" LED. Real LEDs per pixel. Phone AMOLED are not true LEDs, nor true native RGB, they are diode like EL panels with phosphors so "wear".

The Colour LCDs with no built in light need direct sunlight! Never be suitable for a TV.

There are three broad kinds of LED backlit LCD:
    1) Cheapest uses Violet/near UV LEDs with built in phosphors for "white" around the edge. Tend to be somewhat uneven. CCFL or CFL backlights may be better (and are quite efficient) but fatter. Thinnest screens but rubbish sound as nowhere for decent speakers.

2) Violet/near UV LEDs with built in phosphors for "white" behind diffuser under entire panel. More expensive versions do horrible "dynamic contrast" by adjusting brightness in solid areas of image matching per LED area illuminated. CCFL or CFL backlights may be better (and are quite efficient) but fatter.

3) Real R & G & B LEDs behind diffuser under entire panel. Very much more expensive. The most expensive versions do horrible "dynamic contrast" by adjusting brightness in solid areas of image matching per LED area illuminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Maybe we will see Sky add their recently launched Irish versions of their free to air channels, Pick and Challenge TV together with Sky News. They could use these channels on saorview to continually promote their Sky Digital platform. I wouldnt be surprised if we see these appear after RTE One SD switch off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

givecredit wrote: »
    Maybe we will see Sky add their recently launched Irish versions of their free to air channels, Pick and Challenge TV together with Sky News. They could use these channels on saorview to continually promote their Sky Digital platform. I wouldnt be surprised if we see these appear after RTE One SD switch off.

If we see Sky News coming to Saorview, we will see RTe NN becoming a real news channel with adverts, etc.

Advertisement