Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Content Speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

Having programmes recorded in 4:3 either stretched or cropped to fit in a 16:9 screen bugs me but at least with the stretched image there's a function on TV that can change the aspect but I'd prefer not having to do that because I sometimes forget that I've done it and find myself watching 16:9 in 4:3. To further this point they show widescreen films in their original 2.35 aspect ratio

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

RTE1 had something in Stretchy vision on Saturday 28th Sept 2013. I thought the TV was wrong at first. But it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

The DOG is also squashed when they show something in 4:3 and correctly flag it as such so the TV adds black bars. They need to update their graphics to have a 4:3 version of the DOG. But as it makes the DOG smaller technically on 4:3 content, perhaps it shouldn't change!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Paddy C wrote: »
    The DOG is also squashed when they show something in 4:3 and correctly flag it as such so the TV adds black bars. They need to update their graphics to have a 4:3 version of the DOG. But as it makes the DOG smaller technically on 4:3 content, perhaps it shouldn't change!
    Or just remove those God-damned DOG's altogether. No need for them whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Is there any word about putting the HD Test cards on Three Rock soon?

I attempted to retune my TSC 114 box from Triax twice over the weekend & nothing has happened yet.

My LCN is turned off before I retune. Should this be switched on before doing so. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Just heard the RTE ONE announcer say at the end of Home And Away if you missed this episode you can catch it again on RTE ONE+1 at 2.30 pm today. I wonder was this a mistake on her part as RTE ONE+1 doesn't start until 7pm. Maybe RTE have plans to increase the hours of RTE ONE+1 when Mux 2 launches.

Just heard the RTE ONE announcer say at the end of Home And Away if you missed this episode you can catch it again on RTE ONE+1 at 2.30 pm today. I wonder was this a mistake on her part as RTE ONE+1 doesn't start until 7pm. Maybe RTE have plans to increase the hours of RTE ONE+1 when Mux 2 launches.

I not missing Home & Away by any means But I hope it is not a mistake on RTE's part though. It will be very welcome if it does happen to be the case to show it an hour later.

My LCN is turned off before I retune. Should this be switched on before doing so. Thanks.

LCN = Operator Designated "Logical Channel Numbers". If LCN is "off" the box / TV often assigns channels in the order that they are found. So should make no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

RTE one+1 is not on the air in my area this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Over on Mux 2, on the hidden but found (thanks to Crush) HD channels, in particular channel 14, the default audio language on my TV is IRI. This default Irish language setting only appears on channel 4 TG4 for me. Perhaps this is going to be the home for TG4 HD?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't read anything significant into anything on a test channel. RTE even used the identifier for a Nigerian Language for Irish for a while. Maybe still do.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Over on Mux 2, on the hidden but found (thanks to Crush) HD channels, in particular channel 14, the default audio language on my TV is IRI. This default Irish language setting only appears on channel 4 TG4 for me. Perhaps this is going to be the home for TG4 HD?

TG4 HD will replace TG4 on Channel 4.

Saorview does not require a simulcast of an SD channel for a HD channel.

The channel line up on saorview will remain the same just in HD

Number | Channel | Picture | Mux
    1 | RTÉ ONE | HD | 1
    2 | RTÉ TWO | HD | 1
    3 | TV3 | HD | 2
    4 | TG4 | HD | 2
    5 | 3E | SD | 2
    6 | RTÉ News Now | SD | 1
    7 | RTÉ ONE+1 | SD | 1
    8 | RTÉjr | SD | 1
    9 | Test Channel (Oireachtas)* | SD | 2
    10 | Test Channel (IFB Channel)* | SD | 2
    11 | Test Channel (RTÉ 2 +1)* | SD | 2
    12 | Test Channel (TV3 +1)| SD | 2
    13 | Test Channel (TG4+1)*| SD | 2
    200 | RTÉ R1 | Audio | 1
    201 | RTÉ R1 Extra | Audio | 1
    202 | RTÉ 2fm | Audio | 1
    203 | RTÉ Lyric FM| Audio | 1
    204 | RTÉ RnaG | Audio | 1
    205 | RTÉ Pulse | Audio | 1
    206 | RTÉ 2XM | Audio | 1
    208 | RTÉ Gold| Audio | 1
    209 | RTÉjr/Chill | Audio | 1

Mux 2 = Nothing new in HD and nothing new +1 in SD
    *Timeshare

Is the IFB not wishful thinking?
    Has Oireachtas allocated a Saorview budget, or will it only happen after the Senate is abolished?

watty wrote: »
    Is the IFB not wishful thinking?
    Has Oireachtas allocated a Saorview budget, or will it only happen after the Senate is abolished?

It is wishful think as far as the IFB are concern (which is bizarre).
    Yeah! sure once we get rid of the Upper House they have €20million plus expenses :pac:

I have put them in brackets to suggest what could appear, any thing outside brakes are more likely, I love ....

SMPTE_Color_Bars.svg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

If the Seanad is got rid off and if money is saved how likely is that money going to be allocated for broadcasting as regards money for broadcasting I'm more concerned with the upcoming Budget

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

RTE even used the identifier for a Nigerian Language for Irish for a while. Maybe still do.

Flashback to the discussion started by the late Sponge Bob in 2010, which ran to 3 pages - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69705431#post69705431.

Finally cleared up, Sponge Bob was referring to ISO 639-3 language codes where "iri" = Iregwe, a Nigerian language. ISO 639-3 was published in 2007.

The Nordig specification uses ISO 639-2 language codes. The Nordig spec was first published in 1998 as was ISO 639-2.

"iri" is the ISO 639-2 bibliographic language code for Irish used in the Nordig specification

|
    Language Name (in English)
    |
    ISO 639-2 Codes
    |
    Language Name
    |
    Notes
    |

|
    Irish / Gaelic
    |
    iri
    |
    Gaeilge
    |
    ISO 639-2 Bibliographic
    |

|
    Irish / Gaelic
    |
    gle
    |
    Gaeilge
    |
    ISO 639-2 Terminological
    |
    Bibliographic and Terminological codes (B & T codes)

While most languages are given one code by the standard, twenty of the languages described have two three-letter codes, a "bibliographic" code (ISO 639-2/B), which is derived from the English name for the language and was a necessary legacy feature, and a "terminological" code (ISO 639-2/T), which is derived from the native name for the language. Each of these twenty languages is also included in the ISO 639-1 standard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_639-2

A limited number of countries have B/T language code e.g. wel/cym - Welsh, spa/esl - Spanish, chi/zho - Chinese, ice/isl - Icelandic etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

It doesn't appear so, the budget appears to be reducing and not increasing

From the Oireachtas 2014 estimates 2(c) Televising of Proceedings of Dáil Éireann and Seanad Éireann and Other Services - €2,409,000

2013 - €2,521,000
    2012 - €2,602,000
    2011 - €2,230,000

http://www.oireachtas.ie/ViewDoc.asp?DocId=-1&CatID=49&m=h

The Cush wrote: »
    It doesn't appear so, the budget appears to be reducing and not increasing

From the Oireachtas 2014 estimates 2(c) Televising of Proceedings of Dáil Éireann and Seanad Éireann and Other Services - €2,409,000

2013 - €2,521,000
    2012 - €2,602,000
    2011 - €2,230,000

http://www.oireachtas.ie/ViewDoc.asp?DocId=-1&CatID=49&m=h

I assume this increase in 2012 and 2013 was due to the installation of HD cameras around the Oireachtas as the prepare for Oireachtas HD on Mux 3. :pac:

The sad thing is the budget did increase because of the installation of HD cameras for '12 and '13 :rolleyes: but not to appear on Saorview

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭zg3409

Elmo wrote: »
    I assume this increase in 2012 and 2013 was due to the installation of HD cameras around the Oireachtas as the prepare for Oireachtas HD on Mux 3. :pac:

The sad thing is the budget did increase because of the installation of HD cameras for '12 and '13 :rolleyes: but not to appear on Saorview

It is unlikely Dail TV will be HD but hopefully the camereas will be used to provide a feed to RTE to eventually show some content in HD on future RTE1 HD.

zg3409 wrote: »
    It is unlikely Dail TV will be HD but hopefully the camereas will be used to provide a feed to RTE to eventually show some content in HD on future RTE1 HD.

Even still why upgrade just for HD News (10mins of footage 5 times a week if even). Lets see some channel line up before HD.

• Advertisement

I noticed the RTE ONE dog has been removed since last Friday. I hope this is permanent as i never liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I noticed the RTE ONE dog has been removed since last Friday. I hope this is permanent as i never liked it.
    I just don't get why it has to be RTÉ ONE opposed to RTÉ 1 especially on screen... Hopefully as you say its gone but I doubt it.

It also annoys me that they have two different variations for both channels on the sky epg... RTE One on 101 and RTE TWO on 102... Jaysus a bit of consistency like.

The DOG is still displayed on RTE Two HD & the rest of the RTE channels still have theirs.

I presume it is probably down for maintenance work.

The DOG is still displayed on RTE Two HD & the rest of the RTE channels still have theirs.

I presume it is probably down for maintenance work.
    Most likely will be replaced with an RTE ONE HD dog when RTE ONE HD launches.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Most likely will be replaced with an RTE ONE HD dog when RTE ONE HD launches.
    That's what I was thinking too, they might be gearing up for an imminent HD launch.

irishfeen wrote: »
    I just don't get why it has to be RTÉ ONE opposed to RTÉ 1 especially on screen... Hopefully as you say its gone but I doubt it.

It also annoys me that they have two different variations for both channels on the sky epg... RTE One on 101 and RTE TWO on 102... Jaysus a bit of consistency like.

I am assuming that is Sky more than RTÉ

On screen its RTÉ ONE in the same way as it is the BBC market it as BBC one. If BBC one had a DOG/BUG it'd be BBC one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Sorry for my ignorance, could someone explain what DOG/BUG mean??

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Most channels have them. It's the name of the channel on the top or bottom of the screen. Example TV3 has the number 3 at the right hand bottom of the tv screen and RTE TWO the top right hand side of the screen. They are called dog or bug. Hope that helps explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

phobia2011 wrote: »

Digital Onscreen Graphic (I think :D ) ...... the channel identifier superimposed on the transmission.

EDIT: Found this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_on-screen_graphic
    A digital on-screen graphic (originally known as digitally-originated graphic) (known in the UK and New Zealand by the acronym DOG; in the US, Canada and Australia [1] as a bug) is a watermark-like station logo that many television broadcasters overlay over a portion of the screen-area of their programs to identify the channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Great even more of an annoyance now if it is gona be rteone hd dog. The itvhd one is what the rtehd one should look like if they insist on having one

Advertisement