Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advancing streetfighter.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Yeah I don't disagree with any of that, apologies must have misread you.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Can we have a sneak peek at the new look for the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Placebo wrote: »
    well firstly, im not against any sort of promotion, secondly I myself have devoted my own personal time to put forward ideas and developing posters[plural for future] and i started on the new design for the site a while back.
    My concern is that the site should appeal to an international audience at some level. The people who posted on srk coming on holidays will not find any information on the site, unless they spend a few proper minutes looking around, its not categorized as well as it should be.
    With such a great offering from SRK i think we can push the site further, intelligently.

Sounds good. I look forward to seeing all your ideas put into motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Orim gets a mention on SRK!!

Good stuff Dan and PPC :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

A thought.

Why not have a photo gallery up on streetfighter.ie? Any photos I've put up here i give permission to use, also on the facbook group (mine not yours!) there's about 40 of jim's/barry's/itssoconfusingwithallyourdifferent****ingnames shots.

add in a tagging feature and hey presto. some easy site content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Good article orim but it needs a fixing! I didn't "slip away in groups"....I won my group. Handsomely. Undefeated. With fawning fan girls cheering me on. :D It was the knockout stages where I failed miserably.

Ah sorry. Was kind of making it up based on the info I had.

Can someone c&p this post onto streetfighter.ie:

http://www.mordor-mashup.com/2011/01/tourch-of-death-3-results/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

is that streetfighter.ie ? oh no wait...

Seems like a solid active community that we could build a decent realtionship with though and maybe get some more intermingling and travels over to England.

Also, I don't know who the work on the site but it looks fantastic. Sorry if I'm a bit late on saying this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

is that streetfighter.ie ? oh no wait...

At least he actually helped us out, eh?

Most webdesigners just mumble about being busy when I ask them... :pac:
    Orim wrote: »
    Seems like a solid active community that we could build a decent realtionship with though and maybe get some more intermingling and travels over to England.

Also, I don't know who the work on the site but it looks fantastic. Sorry if I'm a bit late on saying this.

Check out the "Doom goes to Mordor" vids on the brianvondoom channel. Things are already heading that way.

Boards vs Edge magazine 5 v 5. Donkey Kong :D

sorry for not helping out guys, i'm never busy. i lied and websites are easy.

sorry for not helping out guys, i'm never busy. i lied and websites are easy.

Oh no you don't farzypan, my comment was not that websites are easy, merely that you shouldn't be so ungrateful when someone has helped reduce your workload.

Now go to the corner and think about what you've done!

i'm not un grateful, i genuinely did get confused at the start. We just need to push the site functionality more, moving away from the form and using the site more

i'm not un grateful, i genuinely did get confused at the start. We just need to push the site functionality more, moving away from the form and using the site more

We need to maintain a presence here.

But if anything is to become of SF.ie, we need more people to man up and do stuff for it.

Like, we should be archiving the videos... there's hundreds now. It's alot of work.

Articles would be good too, and a podcast. Articles are difficult though, podcast maybe not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Check out the "Doom goes to Mordor" vids on the brianvondoom channel. Things are already heading that way.

Have been watching those. Really like Lefty's Fuerte.

You gave some Juri a vicious beating though, I felt bad for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Who moderates the video uploads?

I'm sure I could put some time to that, but I'm not sure if I'm submitting them right.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Who moderates the video uploads?

I'm sure I could put some time to that, but I'm not sure if I'm submitting them right.

Uh... they're on youtube. Its just our channels.

We need someone to organise them on SF.ie right though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Ive said a load of times ill sort the videos

Who is running sf.ie?

A community blog all (or many) of us could post stuff onto the front page of like readyup.net or something, would mean new content would be up most days.

I'd have put up the vids i posted but I'd need mod powers or whatever no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Who is running sf.ie?

A community blog all (or many) of us could post stuff onto the front page of like readyup.net or something, would mean new content would be up most days.

I'd have put up the vids i posted but I'd need mod powers or whatever no?

The way it's worked for months is just ask PPC for an account and you'll get one, then write whatever you want.

Grand I'll get onto that later.

bush wrote: »
    Ive said a load of times ill sort the videos

Was talking to PPC last night. Anyone with an SF.ie account can currently upload a video to the site.

To be honest the current system seems like ALOT of work, it'd involve manually copying the embed code from youtube for each video (which is fine if you're uploading say 1 a day).

I guess the thing to do would be to use selected fights only (finals, good fights, etc).

as mentioned previously
    how about a video DB

there will be a form for admins
    enter in char VS char [drop downs]
    link to video

then we can populate a table, similar to the FRAME DATA tables and perhaps you can sort the table by player name etc

as mentioned previously
    how about a video DB

there will be a form for admins
    enter in char VS char [drop downs]
    link to video

then we can populate a table, similar to the FRAME DATA tables and perhaps you can sort the table by player name etc

I'm all up for that but I assume it'd be a fair whack of work for a friendly web guy to do for free, no?

naw coding is easy, design and translating design into readable web format is the pain.

if some one can let me know what way a table should look, it would suit
    if its similar to frame data [top line= chars, left line = chars and numbers in the middle]

numbers will represent fights between characters in question, clicking that would bring u to a page with links to those videos? does that suit? on that page should links be sortable? by date?

ok so i wrote the scheme, anyone good at algorithms or efficient at databases may give this a run over and approve so i can start coding.
    note: this should be completely scalable but to get things off the ground lets do a quick job and perhaps we can come back and revise.

[database fields]
    1 video link
    2 date
    3 event [inferno/day of champs etc etc]*
    4 character1
    5 character2
    6 tags
    8 player1
    9 player2
    10 added by = 'username'

Roles
    A-user/s will have roles to upload videos [video link will be the unique/primary key persay, to avoid duplicates?]
    B-admin will have the ability to edit/delete videos
    C-i think users should have ability to edit/delete their own videos [i.e if they make mistakes while updating db, perhaps add this feature in v2]
    *only admin will have the ability to add an EVENT [this will appear as a dropdown box for users when they are uploading a video**] [characters and player names also uploaded by admin]
    **Also when i say uploading a video, i mean putting a video link up on the db. The video will be rendered on the site.

Browse, main functionality,
    will look like this = ( numbers represent amount of videos, click on the number will take you to the [character vs character] page, with a list of videos [in a table, sortable by several fields])
    3130a5bb9bb14c688deb963.png

Search functionality.
    Search by event/character/player/tags

Thats main jist of it in my head, any thoughts/suggestions welcome.

That... sounds awesome Farz.

If I am understanding you, you want to use the identifier from youtube as the PK instead of the DB allocating it?

Suppose that's actually more efficient if I think about it tis one less field as you'd need it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

secondly I myself have devoted my own personal time to put forward ideas and developing posters[plural for future] and i started on the new design for the site a while back.

Slow day at work Farz..If only they knew why you always look busy.

Honestly though good work lad

• Advertisement

thanks brian, yeah i reckon i would but ;

-if each entry has a unique/primary/auto incrementing ID, then lookup times will be fast, as references to these id's will be made alot

-OR if i use the link as the primary key, it will be a bit long, there might be scalability interference [adding same link twice but with MINUTE AND SECOND parameters, i.e if its 2vs2 tournament or video has more than one match]

you would know best about optimization i guess, so let me know
    Also dave, im at home now, i thought of that on the bus, its cause im a superman

Advertisement