Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advancing streetfighter.ie

Options
  • 31-05-2010 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

I've been told to do some design for this, personally i think the site looks great, it looks clean and is well categorised. However i think the need is for a landing page? But evo doesnt have it ? http://evo2k.com/

Anyway depending on HOW the wordpress blog is setup, we can use the same credentials and setup a system where users can login and add their own videos?

this can then be indexed by clicking on user name to watch videos, or perhaps even search for character [or character vs character]

we can have personal profiles etc [bit gay]

anyway let me know what can be done here to make the site more user driven [if needed]

il have time in the next 2 weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I agree, I think the site looks great and I think if the professional graphic designer/web designer among us thinks it looks good, then I don't think there is a need for the site to be changed. My two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Yeah i'd like to see it being a bit more user driven also. As mentioned, individuals could be given their own "spaces" where they can link to their own videos or link to pics of their sticks or they could write their own content etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The videos by character thing was an excellent feature of frame-advantage.com that they removed, so I'd definitely welcome it on sf.ie, also the ability to choose by game too as I'm sure some would like to upload BB videos and the like too.

The site is very easily made more user driven by more people getting involved. So far myself and Ramza are the only ones that have done anything.

My plan was to redesign the player list to make it look a bit nicer and at the same link each player name with the profiles I have done for the site.

We could have it so people can put edit their profile page to include videos/pictures w/e

Personally I would be wary of too much in the profiles/personal space section. Seems to be veering towards the social media end and I would I would rather it stay more news/strategy etc. based.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Jims away at a festival atm if your wondering why he;s not posting.

Yeah I was actually planning to edit the player list and have the names that have profiles at the top and linked to your knowing me know you articles and to the section of my interviews video if they're in it ( you can link to particular parts of youtube vids)

Meant to do this this weekend actually but all the events and drama and stuff has me thrown off.

I have an idea for an article too, a community based one so its kinda of an interview style article.

I really like the look of the site atm that's for sure. I'd be a little reluctant to see massive changes to how it looks.

And Cheers farz for helping here, I know Jim appreciates it too from talking to him before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

Well my suggestion was to have a category-based 5 day weekly news

for example

Monday: Weekend-Round up (with PLENTY of pictures)
    Tuesday: Technical aka Arcade Stick type tips, etc
    Wednesday: Community Profile
    Thursday: Opinion article
    Friday: Upcoming weekend events

Saturday and Sunday no news because we're playing street fighter :p

Top take these topics as a placeholders and fill in what you think is appropriate. Open content to be submitted by anyone. Editor can pick the best one for that week and then have the other articles saved for the following week (or post a second at a later time). This is assuming the current writers have no topics of their own to post of course. If you can get submissions then ask someone who you think could write and awesome article. They say no, you ask someone else.

As for personal spaces, Community driven content is where all the traffic is today on the net. If you give sf.ie a place where it's players can upload their favourite stuff, it encourages them to return, not to mention there's an easy place for new players to relate their favourite games with people of the same mind.

Could be a good idea to create a thread or even use this one requesting submissions from people, as well as approaching people and asking them to write something for the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Depends whats required.
    The site needs to be dynamic, people should be able to register and ADD to the player list, this shouldnt be done manually. Maybe associate xbox gamer tag link with the xbox names too.

Would people be interested in watching other players videos?
    Could develop a system where user can log on and add to the video database,

video will be categorised under his name and the characters name

Browse and search facilities can then search X vs Y etc

But that is if people would bother watching videos etc
    I'm not sure whats required, i personally dont read all of the blog. But thats mainly cause im busy.

I'm sure farz can do better but I have set up a system to allow people to put up content. http://streetfighter.ie/?p=634

This was not previously as there seemed to be little to no interest from people to contribute to the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Placebo wrote: »
    Depends whats required.
    The site needs to be dynamic, people should be able to register and ADD to the player list, this shouldnt be done manually. Maybe associate xbox gamer tag link with the xbox names too.

Would people be interested in watching other players videos?
    Could develop a system where user can log on and add to the video database,

video will be categorised under his name and the characters name

Browse and search facilities can then search X vs Y etc

But that is if people would bother watching videos etc
    I'm not sure whats required, i personally dont read all of the blog. But thats mainly cause im busy.

Dont think there is need for an exclusive Video DB. Would an exclusive youtube a/c be just as useful and easier to share vids? Also, thanks to Beno and others, there are a lot of vids already there. Can always be integrated (also could be easier for community driven content)

Just had a look at the site properly.

It looks great but i would make a few changes

-Dark green background, doesnt suit, with light green headers and the main header, i know we wanna be irish and all but...
    -Too many posts, too much reading, have an image where possible, less TEXT per post, people can use read more button, need tiny bit more spacing between posts
    -Over posting, too many filler posts. Qcon results should go in the Qcon post, edit that post and change heading to UPDATED. unless its a major event, i think its not that important to make separate post for tournament results. Specially if the winner is from the NORTH... JKn :pac:
    -featured event image should be the width of the column and not a picture of cody :rolleyes: [jog on bush ;)]
    -up comming events is all over the gaff, links to different things, some to dates, some to posts, some to READ MORE?
    July 3, 2010
    Inferno 10 SSFIV Tournament - Dublin
    XGC Gaming Centre, Dublin
    More Info
    August 6, 2010
    Respawn SSFIV Tourny - Limerick
    St. Nessen, Limerick
    More Info
    -to push forward any main events, i think we should have the FEATURED POST similar to the juri image here http://evo2k.com/ [NOT AS BIG], perhaps like a slider, not just an image but image with the text and readmore, i can present a design if idea suits. I think it would look great

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

the player section although welcome does need a little work.

The distribution of players in the list looks weird. Should be alphabetised?

I just looked at my own and as there's no captions there's no way to tell who I am fighting- in fact I have to squint to see what character I am fighting!

Maybe embedding the vids is a better option (that way the titles I put on the youtube vids would be visible?)

I realise this takes ALOT of time so don't take this as me being a dick :)

the player section although welcome does need a little work.

The distribution of players in the list looks weird. Should be alphabetised?

I just looked at my own and as there's no captions there's no way to tell who I am fighting- in fact I have to squint to see what character I am fighting!

Maybe embedding the vids is a better option (that way the titles I put on the youtube vids would be visible?)

I realise this takes ALOT of time so don't take this as me being a dick :)

I am going to fix up the distrubition of the players and put titles under each video. I avoided embedding as some peoples pages would be huge.

At the moment I'm just trying to get it done.

I'm working on it everyday but it takes a lot of time.

Should have all currently sorted videos up once I get home from work (would have done last night but my net was done) after that I'll try putting up captions and have the captions link to other pages.

Good points
    also i still think video uploads should be opened to registered users
    they should then be under the categories off

Character
    and Player name.

Maybe Event
    This way ppl can add their own videos

Strategy corner would also be welcome.
    Links/Videos to characters, or to specific POSTS on boards and srk

Orim wrote: »
    I am going to fix up the distrubition of the players and put titles under each video. I avoided embedding as some peoples pages would be huge.

At the moment I'm just trying to get it done.

I'm working on it everyday but it takes a lot of time.

Should have all currently sorted videos up once I get home from work (would have done last night but my net was done) after that I'll try putting up captions and have the captions link to other pages.

Yeah as I said I know it's alot of work was just saying it in case!

Gotta say I don't think thats a one man job dude. I'd help but I'm kinda busy editing and getting the vids up in the first place.

EDIT: Is there some "cheat" way I could help? Like when I am making a video, throw its url, and the players in a word doc which I could send weekly or something?

I could check other vid uploaders too as I am subbed to every irish sf uploader I can find?

Good points
    also i still think video uploads should be opened to registered users
    they should then be under the categories off

Character
    and Player name.

Maybe Event
    This way ppl can add their own videos

Strategy corner would also be welcome.
    Links/Videos to characters, or to specific POSTS on boards and srk

Editing of the player page should be open to people. I'm going to have a poke around later to see what needs to be done so people can edit those pages and put their own videos up.

well, i can work out the mechanisms,
    It should only allow players to upload/edit their own videos,
    they should be allowed to touch others,

so what will happen is that the player page will render all usernames with video uploads > 1 in alphabetical order.

EDIT only set back is that the videos if anyone are recorded/uploaded by people with the cameras, the player might not have anything to add to the table.
    or he might not upload poor videos [like the ones you added of me DAN, cheers ;] which would make the databse week

but on the other hand ppl could uploaded matches they play at home etc on xbox

EDIT: Is there some "cheat" way I could help? Like when I am making a video, throw its url, and the players in a word doc which I could send weekly or something?

I could check other vid uploaders too as I am subbed to every irish sf uploader I can find?

That works for me. That's pretty much what I've done at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Lies! Your not subscribed to me.

I'll get around to putting mine up at some stage.

PPC wrote: »
    Lies! Your not subscribed to me.

I'll get around to putting mine up at some stage.

Whats the username? I'll do it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Ive got to agree with farz about the colour. The whole were Irish so everything is green thing is kind of cheesy. White with a bit of light green would at least look better. Cody should stay though

I can help out sorting out the vids if you want.

• Advertisement

Finished my list. So that should be most players up.

I've also figured out how to set it so everybody can edit the posts. I'll get that sorted soon.

Please let me know if you want to do it. If you don't, grand I'll keep doing it.

Actually it might be easier if one or two took it on rather then giving everyone access, so does anyone want to volunteer?

EDIT : Actually the way I'm doing it only one person could do it all. So either it's admins and one contributor or I give everyone control over their page. The problem with everyone having control is that videos mightn't get added to both pages, the system might not get done (jeez I'm so protective) and there could be tweets and posts all over the place.

I dunno someone decide for me.

EDIT 2 : Also the last two posts have kept a smaller excerpt on the front page while being bigger than the old system. Have I hit a happy medium?

Final Edit, I swear : Here's an example of what I have in mind for eventual look of the player matches. http://streetfighter.ie/?p=938

Orim wrote: »
    Final Edit, I swear : Here's an example of what I have in mind for eventual look of the player matches. http://streetfighter.ie/?p=938

Yeah thats good, nice to click on dreddy's name to go to his page. Only gripe i have about those video pages is that i tend to middle-click on the mouse (to open the fight in a new tab) but that just opens the same page again. Thats my own fault i know, since the vids pop up when you left click

Also dan, i'm thinking of contributing a regular segment on the website, just something small to add content on a regular basis. I'll talk to you about it today

http://www.neoempire.com/

definitely needs more spot light videos, bigger
    also blog articles if applicable need to permalink back to discussion on message board

most definitley need featured article at top
    neoempire just jumps out and everything seems exciting

sf.ie seems bit dull, full ascii articles.
    I gotta be real critical here. Most of these are gaming fans, that play street fighter, thats short attention span right there, i personally do not want to read 2 page articles. Not that we need to omitt them but the content needs some MEAT.

Not that we need to omitt them but the content needs some MEAT.

I also think that we need regular content to keep it fresh. If people visit the site two/three days in a row and there's nothing new they'll be put off. I'm trying to help that by adding a few funny vids now and then

Maybe we really should look into our own forum on there. There is already a few of us who don't post here any more and I'm starting to see their point.

The community being split thing isnt as big an issue as I assumed it'd be looking at IRC.

I'd certainly be checking both forums. With one on Sf.ie that would add the daily content that would be needed to keep people checking back. An expansion on the comments section on articles if you will. Character specific threads could go up and so forth. The two could complement each other just as IRC currently complements the boards forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Sisko wrote: »
    The two could complement each other just as IRC currently complements the boards forum.

I dont think IRC compliments this forum at all, if anything I think it has only created problems ie the who evo qualiers debacle where some people were finalising on IRC and not mentioning on here. Its a grand tool for chatting in lobbies and stuff but thats as far as I would take that.

Sisko if you really think starting an independant forum for ourselves is a good idea we should really have a chat about it over a couple of beers. I've already talked about the difficulties involved with several people here.

It's not impossible, it's just whoever was adminning it should be made aware of what they were getting into (I for one would not do it).

Yes that was a nightmare its been said that all talk like that should be kept on the forums and it is from now on. I'm always the guy on IRC saying 'this should be on the forums bla bla bla' so I know all about this issue, which is no longer an issue.

Initially casuals were being arranged on IRC with no threads on boards resulting in some people missing 'em who'd don't read irc regularly.

no need for independent forum, the pioneers of this 'scene' were implicitly directed/elected from boards.ie it was a driver and it will continue to be. An independent forum will lead to an elitist feel, newly registered trolls will emerge and it will die a slow death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Not to mention cost.
    There are free bb systems, but they can be quite prone to being hacked.
    VBulletin costs $195 to buy, although its not unhackable its slightly better for updates.

That $195 would be better spent towards equipment for the community.

Advertisement