Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Keane is gone from Newstalk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,467 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Barname wrote: »
    eamon keane is a perfect example of a gombeen sycophant

unfortunately for the license paying taxpayer keane will be living off our euros in the employ of RTE

keane is the classic 'independent' FF'er

well done Eamon, we know you take the soup.

Dont like his style at all.
    Lets hope he is not on his way to RTE on the same (taxpayers) money that Ryan was on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

jacaranda wrote: »
    Eamonn Keane's style was more tabloid and dragged the show downmarket

Newstalk have always been a tabloid type station, real LCD stuff*. It really started to show when Claire Byrne got the breakfast gig, she wouldn't be out of place on Sky News imo.

*apart from OTB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

imagine how long it would have taken him to tell the boss he was off!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭A P

Which station is going to schtump up for his services next I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

Des wrote: »
    Newstalk have always been a tabloid type station, real LCD stuff*. It really started to show when Claire Byrne got the breakfast gig, she wouldn't be out of place on Sky News imo.

*apart from OTB
    You hit the nail on the head, Claire would be so suited to Sky News - sensationalism interview techniques. Kind of would give Kay Burley a run for her money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

Eamon Keane having a holier than thou pious rant on the Late Late show a good while back about drink driving made me wretch. I actually didn't mind listening to him up until then. I'm very bored of Moncrief now. Off the Ball FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Des wrote: »

*apart from OTB

Sky wouldn't have her.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

ntlbell wrote: »
    Sky wouldn't have her.

I'd have her!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Ivan Yates is not a broadcaster or any repute and the likes of him being employed by Newstalk is what frustrates me most about the talk radio station.

I agree -Yates is no broadcaster no matter what his ego tells him. They'll probably move him to lunch now that he's shown how to loose listeners on brekkie

fans of newstalk should google an interview their CEO did let year where he said in essence that newstalk would be anti public sector to differentiate from rte ( not sure how he came to that conclusion)

anyway, I'd suggest their new strapline be "Newstalk -FoxNews for Radio"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

The only bits of Newstalk I find palatable at this stage are Montcrieff and Off the Ball - the agenda driven drivel of the Morning Show, Keane and that clown Hook turn my stomach. Maybe Keane is off to follow a career in singer-songwriting - remember the stint on the Brendan whatshisface show?

• Advertisement

Piece from the Indo - I couldn't imagine him doing a 3 hour slot on 2FM, but they could change that 3 hour slot to 2 hours and extend the Breakfast show to finish at 10am.

Rumours of RTE move for Keane

EAMON Keane has quit his lunchtime show on Newstalk, leading to speculation that he may return to RTE Radio.

A source close to the presenter said last night that "nothing is in place" regarding a return to the national broadcaster. But it is understood that there has been some contact between the two parties.

RTE has a three-hour morning slot to fill in its schedule following the sudden death of Gerry Ryan, but sources within the station have said that it is unlikely that Mr Keane would be given the responsibility of replacing the hugely popular star.

Switch

Ryan Tubridy is thought to be more likely to move to 2fm, although he appeared to distance himself from the switch last week, claiming the increased workload would not appeal. That would leave a one-hour slot open on Radio One.

Mr Keane could not be reached for comment last night.

"Newstalk would like to confirm that Eamon Keane will no longer be presenting the 'Lunchtime Show', as he has tendered his resignation to the station this week," the station said in a statement.

"Newstalk wish Eamon the best with his future career and would like to take this opportunity to thank him for his valuable contribution to the station."

It is understood that Keane, who has been off the airwaves for three weeks, was due to meet with Newstalk management "for talks" on Monday. However, he instead tendered his resignation in writing.

His profile and that of his show was pulled from the station's website yesterday.

Members of his backroom team said they were in the dark as to his future plans as he had been on holidays for a fortnight.

"It is definitely a shock," one said.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

I hope that's the last we've heard of Eamon Keane - he really was awful, wasn't he?

Back to working in a hair salon I'd say, if his accent is anything to go by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Ivan Yates is not a broadcaster or any repute and the likes of him being employed by Newstalk is what frustrates me most about the talk radio station.

Would completely disagree with that statement, he can be an excellent interviewer, one recent example being the interview of Eamon Gilmore last week. The contrasting Yates and Byrne work well together I think, Byrne is not as bad as she's made out.

As for Dunne, leave that man alone, he's a great start to the working day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭jacaranda

Jip wrote: »
    Would completely disagree with that statement, he can be an excellent interviewer, one recent example being the interview of Eamon Gilmore last week. The contrasting Yates and Byrne work well together I think, Byrne is not as bad as she's made out.

As for Dunne, leave that man alone, he's a great start to the working day :D

How are Tom Dunnes ratings? Or the breakfast show ratings?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Uoykcuf wrote: »
    "Bear with me now, because I think this is important...."

I'll miss that, along with "I am going the read the whole thing and then I want to say something"

not to mention going live, breaking news style, to some stringer on the mobile out in the sticks where someone has just been fined for shoplifting. Well, if you listened you'd know what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ivan Yates angling for a move to lunchtimes according to a comment in the Star.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

I'll miss Keane, if alone for the fact that he seemed to be genuinely p*ssed off with the direction the country has been going in, unlike the agenda ridden outbursts of likes of Hook and Yates. I thought he was very good in particular during the release of the Ryan Report.

Must here are awake to the direction that a lot of RTE's Current Affairs output has gone in, but I have to wonder if a certain party entered government in the near future, would NewsTalk maintain the 'maverick' approach it started out with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Shock!

Lazy annoying hack goes to RTE!! lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    hmmm. Tubridy moving to 2FM, I would love that.. Have to switch off the radio when that stupid show of his is on.. I've no interest in his opinions on modern life, movies, dating.. etc etc. I could listen to RTE ONE the whole way til 12 without switching if they moved him..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

hmmm. Tubridy moving to 2FM, I would love that.. Have to switch off the radio when that stupid show of his is on.. I've no interest in his opinions on modern life, movies, dating.. etc etc. I could listen to RTE ONE the whole way til 12 without switching if they moved him..

+1 apart from Derek Mooney and Neenaw ni Nawnaa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Sometimes when you look outside the box you find a gem. Better then the RTE crony-ism anyway.
    and alot of the time you dont, but you have to stick with your decision... at least till the jnlr's come out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

P.ie mainman David Cochrane says Eamo ain't moving to RTE. What did he used to do?

mike65 wrote: »
    P.ie mainman David Cochrane says Eamo ain't moving to RTE. What did he used to do?
    Is he moving to TodayFM then cos David Cochrane was in TodayFM yesterday on the Last Word discussing paying for online newspapers.
    I am really putting 2+2 together and coming up with 5...but if Ray Darcy was going to move to 2FM then there is a slot free there :o I dunno, but if someone already in radio (anyone and any station) moves to Gerry's old spot then there is a space empty for another presenter to jump into. Never mind...I am just thinking and typing!
    I can't imagine that Keane left with nowhere to go unless there is a legal issue!

Poly wrote: »
    +1 apart from Derek Mooney and Neenaw ni Nawnaa

and hayney nee nayney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Why would RTE give him a high profile job after all he only had 68,000 listeners after 4 years at Newstalk and 8 years after they first started. Maybe a Weekend slot would suit him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i don't think he'd be suitable for the mid morning slot on any station. the last time i heard gerry ryan, he was talking to someone about having to take a dump behind a tree with no toilet paper because her own toilet was broken. as bad as eamonn keane is, i can't see him being able to put up with news gems like that!! unless the government broke the toilet in the first place. because of NAMA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

i don't think he'd be suitable for the mid morning slot on any station. the last time i heard gerry ryan, he was talking to someone about having to take a dump behind a tree with no toilet paper because her own toilet was broken. as bad as eamonn keane is, i can't see him being able to put up with news gems like that!! unless the government broke the toilet in the first place. because of NAMA.

Nice one!

• Advertisement

Thats the problem. He couldnt get through the day without NAMA.

Advertisement