Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Keane is gone from Newstalk

Options
  • 26-05-2010 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭

Just been confirmed to me that Eamon Keane is gone from Newstalk. A bad thing for Newstalk I reckon, and strange the way there has been no announcements from News talk about it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

confirmed by who? Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

I asked Sean Moncriffe on Twitter and he said yes, also on the Newstalk site, Keane's profile is gone a blank picture where he used to be and the programme name used to be 'Lunchtime with Eamon Keane' and now it is just called Lunchtime.

Wonder is he going to be filling Gerry Ryan's old slot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭mallet head

Always thought Keane was awful. His show was the weakest part of newstalk's daytime schedule. The pretending to be shocked by stories which involved joe public being hard done by always made me cringe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

The fella doing that slot now in my view is streets ahead - Jonathon Healy is it? Good presence, seems to be on top of his brief, no bull plop, he just gets it done.
    It's a pleasure to listen to. Keane's 'C'mere till I tell ya' style is no loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭todolist

I enjoyed Keane's show.Ivan Yeates would be great in that slot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Ivan Yates is not a broadcaster or any repute and the likes of him being employed by Newstalk is what frustrates me most about the talk radio station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Happy enough with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

Wonder is Keane gone to another radio station?
    Usually when radio presenters etc move station, they disppear from the airwaves suddenly and turn up on another station a few weeks later. Any one care to guess where he might have gone???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

Is there a community station in Listowel? That's the place for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

He always sounded like he was trying to be as shocked as Joe Duffy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭mallet head

Ivan Yates is not a broadcaster or any repute and the likes of him being employed by Newstalk is what frustrates me most about the talk radio station.

Sometimes when you look outside the box you find a gem. Better then the RTE crony-ism anyway.

Back in the day I was a huge fan of David Mc Williams breakfast show. Worst thing they ever done was shaft him to bring someone as unprofessional as Eamon Dunphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

I can't imagine that his rants and bad interview skills would be welcome at any other station.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

he is definitely no loss to the station. hearing him tutting in the background while listening to someone's story of a hard life was irritating. at least it'll be a while before we hear the likes of "anyway there's some rugby on this weekend, here's mick galwey. jaysis mick we had a great night out the last time i met ya, how's the head been since?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Uoykcuf

he is definitely no loss to the station. hearing him tutting in the background while listening to someone's story of a hard life was irritating. at least it'll be a while before we hear the likes of "anyway there's some rugby on this weekend, here's mick galwey. jaysis mick we had a great night out the last time i met ya, how's the head been since?"

"Bear with me now, because I think this is important...."

"Come here to me........"

No loss. I had ALMOST resorted to leaving on Ronan Collins to fill that early afternoon void before the 'News at One' and Moncrieff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭jacaranda

I can't help agreeing. When Damien Kyberd (not sure if that's how he spells his name) was hosting the lunchtime show, it was an interesting and thoughtful show. Eamonn Keane's style was more tabloid and dragged the show downmarket, and made it more or less unlistenable. Sean Moncrief, one of the gems in Newstalk's schedule, would be much better in the Gerry Ryan slot than Eamonn Keane, and I hope RTE don't make the error of giving him the slot.

I liked Eamon Keane, at least he wasn't afraid to ask hard questions and challenge people on their replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Pin_Cushion

Yeah I agree with this, he's an awful broadcaster- I'm not sure why they ever gave him that job. Also glad to see Eamon Keane gone, he was starting to become a caricature of himself with all this "My gripe with elite all the civil service is this, lads..."
    Trying far too hard to come across as a man of the people.

Yates and Keane are the two weak links in Newstalk's weekday lineup in my opinion, the rest are great. Well, I could do with a little bit less of Fionn Davenport...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

Yeah I agree with this, he's an awful broadcaster- I'm not sure why they ever gave him that job. Also glad to see Eamon Keane gone, he was starting to become a caricature of himself with all this "My gripe with elite all the civil service is this, lads..."
    Trying far too hard to come across as a man of the people.

Yates and Keane are the two weak links in Newstalk's weekday lineup in my opinion, the rest are great. Well, I could do with a little bit less of Fionn Davenport...
    Yates and Keane are the two weak links in Newstalk's weekday lineup in my opinion, the rest are great. Well, I could do with a little bit less of Fionn Davenport
    tom dunne is great ? wow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Pin_Cushion

danbohan wrote: »
    Yates and Keane are the two weak links in Newstalk's weekday lineup in my opinion, the rest are great. Well, I could do with a little bit less of Fionn Davenport
    tom dunne is great ? wow

Tom Dunne especially.

Tom Dunne especially.

Tom Dunne is the most boring person on the radio at the moment, I do not need to know he has a hole in his coat, or how his shoes fit, or that his kid coughed twice last night. My God such inane drivel I have never heard.

• Advertisement

Newstalk have revealed that Eamon Keane tendered his resignation last week. Wonder what he has lined up............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Tom Dunne is the most boring person on the radio at the moment, I do not need to know he has a hole in his coat, or how his shoes fit, or that his kid coughed twice last night. My God such inane drivel I have never heard.

hes a cross between a knitting machine and a sheep , the most irritating fu''' up on radio apart from tubridy

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭todolist

Ivan Yates is suprizingly good on the breakfast show.His recent interviews with Brian Lenihan and Eamon Gilmore were superb.As an ex-politican himself he knows when these guys are waffeling and spoofing.Go to newstalk and listen to his interview with Eamon Gilmore from last week.Superb stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

All the ones i liked were pushed mc williams kiybird keane wont be listening anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I actually like listening to Ivan Yates in the morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

seachto7 wrote: »
    I actually like listening to Ivan Yates in the morning...

At least he seems to know what he is talking about, unlike some others I could mention. Claire Byrne is definitely the lightweight in that partnership.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭Heckler

Yates is bad. Keane is brutal. "Bare with me now lads, this is important".

No loss. If he liked his interviewee twas asslick central and if he didn't it was a sad attempt at "hard questioning".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Newstalk have revealed that Eamon Keane tendered his resignation last week. Wonder what he has lined up............

Hope he's gonna jump off Slea head:D:D:D. Was an absolutely useless opinionated git ! Back to kerry with him:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Wasnt mad the way that he had his usual spots from Mattie McGrath and Mary O'Rourke .. and dont get me started on Dan Boyle... Didnt like his use of hyperbole or his juvenile rants about the bankers.

But to say that Ronan Collins was better :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

eamon keane is a perfect example of a gombeen sycophant

unfortunately for the license paying taxpayer keane will be living off our euros in the employ of RTE

keane is the classic 'independent' FF'er

well done Eamon, we know you take the soup.

Advertisement