Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[US/IRL] 6x17/18 - "The End" (2.5 Hour Series Finale) [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Pretty happy with this because they did an excellent job of wrapping up the character arcs, which is very important.

I'm less happy with the fact so little is unexplained because it shows how direction less 'Lost' was for a while in terms of plot but, since I always knew 'Lost' didn't know fully where it was going, I'm able to get over that.

As to the purgatory reveal... would've been better if I (and others) hadn't... can't say any more but some viewers out there will possibly get what I mean.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Just finished, total crap....utter nonsense, confused and messy, no answers....why?....they never had any even from the first season, entire six seasons of......nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Don't know why I expected a good final episode when most of season 6 was so bad, All the lost theories and mystery's were just all filler to get the show talked about for 6 years no real substance and this purgatory crap isn't going to coat over that. Overall very disappointing last season the writers just made up things as they went along and knew they were never going to explain stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭SLIM19198

Where did the flipping polar bear come from and why wasnt he in the church as well ;-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Jev/N wrote: »
    Jesus a lot of the posters here jumping to conclusions without listening to what was said by Jack's father! i.e. the fact that they had all died but at different times, and that more importantly they had to meet up because of the journey they had had together.

If they had died in the crash in Ep 1, there was no journey - except the flight itself

+1

The funny thing is this is the purgatory reveal plenty feared, but in a very subversive way that toyed with preconceptions. The journey was still very very real, this was just the characters realising this once and for and all. It was a twist of sorts, subverting expectations in a way only Lost can. Also, as a thematic summary, it couldn't have been more apt, the multiple religious symbolism tying into everything that has come before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

abelard wrote: »
    In fairness that's a bit black and white. The Constant, for example, is potentially the best written "character episode" they ever did. The empathy felt towards Desmond and Penny in that episode was unmatched.

It was an episode that undoubtedly had one of the best scenes that the show ever produced. However The Constant represents why people loved the show for science-fiction reasons. That's all I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

So unfair that we didn't get an explanation for at least some of the major things that happened! Sure, it was a great ending so far as the characters are concerned, but if everything that happened on the island is real, it only makes sense that it is explained! A big stone stuck into the ground that makes the island sink???? And NO explanation!?!?! Would ya go away out of that, I'm actually getting more píssed off the more I think about it...

The producers/writers conned people for six years....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

It's a Sopranos ending. Let's not forget that we all rushed to our TV screens and started banging it, screaming "WHAT THE **** WAS THAT?!? IDIOTS!!!!" when it went to black. It's now gone down as one of the most memorable show endings in history.

I love it. I think a lot of people will come around to it too.

The FST was purgatory. The island itself wasn't. Hence Hurley crediting Ben with being an awesome number 2. And Christian explaining that the FS wasn't based on time...Jack died when he died, some died earlier, some died later. They, in fact, went out of their way to underline the significance of the island: the reason they NEEDED to create the FST was BECAUSE the island was so important.

Brilliant episode. Perfect way to go out. I couldn't have asked for more.

You're ALWAYS going to get the skeptics who will have to complain. The same people who accuse Derren Brown of being a conman...despite the fact that he goes out of his way to insist he's NOT using mystical powers and IS using basic magic tricks. They'll always be around and nobody can stop them. They've been determined to **** on the show since day one.

You'll also get the contingent who care so much about the show that no ending would suffice. Just the fact that the show has ended is enough to warrant a '1' rating from them. I presume they make up a lot of the unhappy people here at the moment. Nothing wrong with that. But relax guys, give it time to settle in and you'll be able to appreciate it.

Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

pretty disappointed - an interesting premise, clumsily executed.

however, loved the line where Jin saw Sawyer in the hospital and said "hello....detective"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Ahh im still confused.

If the flash sideways was the purgatory then why were only some of the losties there? No Michael/walt, where was faraday and his woman?

If the island was real then are we just left to wonder did Hurley manage a way to send Desmond home?

And if the island was real and the flash sideways was purgatory albeit different timed deaths then why was Jack the last one to show up when theoretically shouldnt Hurley of been last to show up seeing as he was the new protector and Jack was already dying?

Im beginning to think everything LOST was just jacks last minutes before dying in the very first episode hence the lying in the same place.

You've all been fooled for six years....how do you feel?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

cmrm wrote: »
    where was Walt and his dad?

Not ready to move on. Same as Ana Lucia.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

and now for some Ireland AM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Better than you by the looks of things....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

You're up at 7:34 trying to torment Lost fans, how do you feel???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

So we know you have a grudge against the show now, give it a rest?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

what is this i don't even

Anyone else think that when Jack woke up on the rocks outside of the cave that we had a new smoke monster on our hands? :o :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Mother of god that was intense. I got bleary-eyed during the Clare/Charlie and Sawyer/Juliet reunions, but once we saw everyone together in the church I just lost it. And now after a bit of contemplation and I start getting my head around what just actually happened, the more satisfied I'm becoming.

I resigned myself to the fact that we weren't going to get answers like regarding the cabin or Walt in this one, so I was going in with an open mind. And in terms of completing the character arcs and bringing a definitive end to it, they couldn't have done it better.

The whole AU being purgatory/heaven was just pure Lost, throwing in that one final twist in the tale when you least expect it. And that final shot of Jack's eye closing with his job on the island finally completed was absolutely beautiful.

For all their faults (and there have been a few down the years) they really did pull out all the stops for this one. And it made for absolutely amazing television.

10/10

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Still dont know why Michael wasnt in the final scene. Something up there. Yes he sold some of Losties out by shooting ana lucia and libby but he had his sons interests at heart.
    Also disappointed with MIB's exit. It was as if they typed up the script, the computer crashed and they had to do it all again. Way too much of a hollywood ending for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

not you tho Richard, eh? no sir, Richard Dower don't buy into all the hype, and isn't it important that everyone realises it? You tell em Richard. Take your victories where you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Delighted the way things worked out for Hugo and Ben, I really like the idea of the two of them working together..... especially with Ben who I always thought looked down on the big man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Just read the thread. Wow some of you went ape sh*t! Personally I found it underwhelming. The episode itself was decent but probably the weakest of the season finales. I gave it an 8. Glad to see my Skippy/Lassie theory on Desmond getting out of the well came to pass! Why was Vincent not in the church though? Is he in doggy heaven? :pac:

I think I'll be able to judge this episode better when I get some sleep but I think it's disappointing that the sideways were given that level of significance, though I'm not as mad as some are clearly. I also don't understand why Jack has a kid in the purgatory? Can someone explain that one to me? And why is he with Juliet? Did the bomb going off have any usefulness?

Just thinking on it, I guess this means when Charlotte Malkin told Eko in the airport that she saw Yemi when she died, she was telling the truth. She saw him in the purgatory place.

Overall I thought the way Smoke Monster was defeated was a bit lame and I didn't like how they were cooperating with each other so much near the start. Not much else to say at the minute.

To sum up my thoughts in one word: underwhelmed. Now for sleep...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Anyone else think that when Jack woke up on the rocks outside of the cave that we had a new smoke monster on our hands? :o :pac:

That would of actually been a class ending. Jack the new smoke monster. Final scene....Hurley and Jack sitting on the beach looking out with Jack saying to Hurley "You have no idea how much I want to kill you".

And everything starts again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

On the subject of Michael, I think it might be something as simple as the actor not being available or something. Contract issues etc... Many of those kind of issues may just be practicality issues. To a degree Michael didn't have the significant impact others did for the group on the whole, barring the freighter stuff which was kind of like his redemption.

Also this may have been the first episode I was rooting for Kate and Jack :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Still dont know why Michael wasnt in the final scene. Something up there. Yes he sold some of Losties out by shooting ana lucia and libby but he had his sons interests at heart.

I had been thinking that myself but if you think of it being purgatory, the guilt of what he did regardless of the reasons stopped him from going forward, remember when he was talkin to hurley he told him if he spoke to libby to apologise. It was obviously still weighing him down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Simple really, he wasn't able to move on, and he's going to remain as the whispers on the island until he can.
    Also disappointed with MIB's exit. It was as if they typed up the script, the computer crashed and they had to do it all again. Way too much of a hollywood ending for me.

I'm glad the way they did it tbh, doing something like just tossing into the light "just because" it would work would leave way to much open to interpretation.

Plus having Kate shoot him when I honestly thought he'd kill Jack made me jump out of my seat and wake the entire house :o

• Advertisement

I think you could explain that by saying that Michael didn't really take part on the journey that the rest of them did, and thus in turn this meant that Walt didn't get to experience the journey either. Whereas the rest of them developed a strong bond with each other, a camaraderie if you will, Michael was only really all about one thing; his son. Sure, he got on with people but when it came right down to it his son took precedence over everything else. Thus, I think it's fine that Michael didn't "move on" with the rest of them. They all played important parts in each other's lives, the only person that really played an important part in Michael's life was Walt.

Advertisement