Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[US/IRL] 6x17/18 - "The End" (2.5 Hour Series Finale) [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options
1474849505153»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Yeah this is something thats pisses me off too. THey went to great lengthst to show that jacob manipulated their lives. For example he met the child Sawyer on the church steps and said just the right things to him to send him off and a lifelong vengeance kick. It was Jacobs fault they all had 'broken lives'. He made them that way. Seems like everyone is forgetting this

Cannot be said for all of them though, he touched Locke after he had been tossed out a window/had his kidney stolen by his father (This is the only one that sticks out off the top of my head though, but I think he met jin and sun aswell?).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Right, so he ripped up trees in s1 to scare the Losties so that 5 seasons later (or a lot of time on island) they would do his bidding when he masquerades as John Locke?!

Fair enough If that what you want to believe, i already made my point about what i thought in my previous post.
    As for Jacob, wanting out of the job after 2000 years is fine. The 'Mother' seemed grateful when MIB killed her, so maybe he too had enough of it. Though the scene in which she actually dies, she says thank you as she is dying and seems grateful, when Ben killed Jacob he didn't seem best pleased.

Miles did tell Ben that Jacob hoped he was wrong about him but this is quite a far cry from the Jacob we see beat the crap out of Richard. He was expecting to die soon.. everyones different, just because Mother said it doesn't mean Jacob has to.
    What troubles me more is the whole 'logic' behind the candidates. The whole thing is a muddled mess. In Across the Sea, MIB said people 'lie, corrupt, destroy', yet he still strives to get off the island back to his people. So he can't hate humanity all that much if he wants to try get off the island to go home. Jacob, on the flip side, has had no interaction with humanity at that point. Why subsequently does he try prove MIB wrong? Or is it another in a long list of things we are to assume are implied off-screen? (i.e. over the years he susses out humans are not all bad, so he tries to prove him wrong?). I still don't see what proving Smokie wrong can achieve! It's like "A-HA!!! See some people are good, i told you so!!!!!!".

Didn't Jacob also say something along the lines of how he thought those people were good in that episode? May have to rewatch

While MIB was far more negative about them from living with them as he said. Who said MIB was getting off the island to join "his people"? He only used people to his own gain and discarded them just as easily. I was thinking more along the lines that if he got off the Island he'd pretty much destroy everyone on the planet.
    In picking the candidates themselves, apart from trying to prove smokie wrong, what agenda does he have for picking them from broken lives? It's not because they have nothing to miss in the world, nearly all of them had family, relationships etc off-island. And the criteria for the 'winning' candidate seem equally a mess. To be good? Trustworthy?

Just think the whole thing is an example of a good concept poorly executed. Even reduced to farce when he tells Kate she can take the job if she wants it, despite her name being crossed off. It's fine to say it was always going to be Jack, if so why not have 1 candidate and hope to be proven right? why pick 300, when all is said and done he said anybody who wants it can have it.

I was actually delighted he said that because in Across the Sea, Mother clearly wanted MIB to protect the Island but had to make do with Jacob. She didn't draw up any massive list. So Jacob could have passed the job onto anyone, crossing them off the list just meant they had died or he didn't think they could handle the job but it didn't mean they couldn't take it.

Like in a normal job, your going to have a list of candidates who you think are suitable and a few outsiders. Less likely to get the job but still it's theirs if they pull off a great interview :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭dudeitshurley

tok9 wrote: »
    I was thinking more along the lines that if he got off the Island he'd pretty much destroy everyone on the planet.

I meant originally, the original reason he wanted to leave the island. MIB before he became smokie. After being visited by his dead mother, he resolves to go live with 'his people' and wants to get 'across the sea' to go home to them. Even when he talks about the donkey wheel it's to get off the island forever. That's in spite of living 30 years with these people and deciding they are corrupted, liars, destroyers of things. It doesn't really make much sense as to why he's so desperate to leave if that's the opinion in which he holds 'his people'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I meant originally, the original reason he wanted to leave the island. MIB before he became smokie. After being visited by his dead mother, he resolves to go live with 'his people' and wants to get 'across the sea' to go home to them. Even when he talks about the donkey wheel it's to get off the island forever. That's in spite of living 30 years with these people and deciding they are corrupted, liars, destroyers of things. It doesn't really make much sense as to why he's so desperate to leave if that's the opinion in which he holds 'his people'.

Perhaps he wanted to get away from his insane mother AND the corrupt liying destroyers and see whats across the sea. If I were stuck on an islan with lots of nasty people i think i would want to get off to...no ?

He s desperate to leave because he knows he doesn't belong here. I don''t really think it was so he could hang around with the people that he hated. He hated them and his Mother. Only difference was he could use them to get off the island and find out what else there is

• Advertisement

He s desperate to leave because he knows he doesn't belong here. I don''t really think it was so he could hang around with the people that he hated. He hated them and his Mother. Only difference was he could use them to get off the island and find out what else there is

No there was no evidence he was just using them. He didn't like them sure, but when mother killed them he was distraught and avenged them. It was only 2000 years of being a smoke monster later he was a true user.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

No there was no evidence he was just using them.
    MAN IN BLACK: That's easy for you to say. Looking down on us from above. Trust me, I've lived among them for 30 years. They're greedy, manipulative, untrustworthy, and selfish.
    JACOB: Then why are you with them?
    MAN IN BLACK: They're a means to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

No there was no evidence he was just using them. He didn't like them sure, but when mother killed them he was distraught and avenged them. It was only 2000 years of being a smoke monster later he was a true user.

But was he avenging them or the fact that he was stuck
    on the Island

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭blodvyn

Originally Posted by opinion guy viewpost.gif

I don't think people realise that MiB / Jacobs brother are two completely different entities :(

MAN IN BLACK: That's easy for you to say. Looking down on us from above. Trust me, I've lived among them for 30 years. They're greedy, manipulative, untrustworthy, and selfish.
    JACOB: Then why are you with them?
    MAN IN BLACK: They're a means to an end.

Yes but thats a far cry from the smokemonster's way of using them. Samuel's dialogue there implies they're not great but he can put up with them. Smokey is a regular murdering son of a bitch.
    Bob Z wrote: »
    But was he avenging them or the fact that he was stuck
    on the Island

He screamed "you killed them, you killed them all" when killing mom. So its fair to say that did bother him. He also wept when he saw them all dead.
    blodvyn wrote: »
    I don't think people realise that MiB / Jacobs brother are two completely different entities :(
    [/I]

No I do. Thats the distinction I'm trying to make here. Samuel may have considered them a menas to and end, but he wasn't murdering his way thru them to get what he wanted. Smokey shredded them by default and only let them live when he thought they were useful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Ut how do you know they are separate? And if they are seperate why would 'the rules' matter to smokie?

Yes but thats a far cry from the smokemonster's way of using them. Samuel's dialogue there implies they're not great but he can put up with them. Smokey is a regular murdering son of a bitch.

Your right here. Samuel wouldn't have just gone on a killing spree once he got off the island, but once he was took the form of smokie he changed to one side of his personality.. pure rage etc.. sad Professor explained it a lot better in the Across the Sea thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Your in Kyoto and wasting your time on Lost ? Man that city is awesome - get out and about!

Yea I had... That was at like 4in the morning need some rest time haha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I only watched the finale today and all I have to say is WTF :eek:

So where are they in the end?! I am so confused.

Ha.. How did you stay unspoiled??

Flashsideways = moving on to the afterlife

Everything that happened to the Losties was real. The crash, the island, polar bears, others, dharma etc was all real.

Hope this helps :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Ha.. How did you stay unspoiled??

Flashsideways = moving on to the afterlife

Everything that happened to the Losties was real. The crash, the island, polar bears, others, dharma etc was all real.

Hope this helps :D

Ha ha, yah I managed 4 weeks without anybody spoiling the ending! Just avoided this forum and other tv forums plus told my friends not to tell me what happened! That and I heard the ending was crap so I wasn't too pushed to watch it.

So the side world where Jack did the op on Locke, Kate delivered Claire's baby at the concert, that was afterlife? So are they dead now, alive, what's going on? They were all on a plane at the end, where did that go to?

Jees I'm so confused :confused::confused: I've never been more confused from a darn tv show - the finale was meant to clear up stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,249 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Read this thread in full

• Registered Users Posts: 33,397 ✭✭✭✭Penn

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Ha ha, yah I managed 4 weeks without anybody spoiling the ending! Just avoided this forum and other tv forums plus told my friends not to tell me what happened! That and I heard the ending was crap so I wasn't too pushed to watch it.

So the side world where Jack did the op on Locke, Kate delivered Claire's baby at the concert, that was afterlife? So are they dead now, alive, what's going on? They were all on a plane at the end, where did that go to?

Jees I'm so confused :confused::confused: I've never been more confused from a darn tv show - the finale was meant to clear up stuff!

Basically, everything that happened on the island was real. Hurley became the new protector, Ben his No.2, and Jack died. The people who left on the plane returned to America and lived out a normal life, dying years later.

The flash-sideways that we've been seeing all season happened after everyone died. It was a place in the afterlife they all subconciously invented in order to meet up and "move on" together (Some would say Heaven, but the symbols seen from numerous different religions would suggest just a place in the afterlife). It was an invention by them all to come to terms with issues they had (Jack resolving his father issues by having a son, Sawyer being a cop rather than a conman, Kate being innocent of murder rather than guilty etc), before they could all meet up and move on together. Thats why so many people in the flash sideways were in previous episodes, like the psychic Hurley's father brought him to was working for Hurley in the recruitment agency place, or Mikhail, Omar and Keamy kidnapping Sayid and Jin.

What paddyirishman85 said! :D

As Christian said "Everyone dies sometime Kiddo, some before you and some long after you"

Advertisement