Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[US/IRL] 6x17/18 - "The End" (2.5 Hour Series Finale) [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

some interesting things being said on kimmel with matthew fox. it really is open to your own interpretation.

i personally prefer the spiritual/faith based ending rather than what i thought it was going to be-science/paranormal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭JDee

Voltwad wrote: »
    Nothing about the island was explained.

And Im glad it wasnt. The finale should have being about the characters we followed for 6 years and it was, an then some :)

This is the best explanation Ive read on Dark UFO so far on the ending

OK, for those confused about the fact they're dead. No, they didn't die in the pilot. No, they didn't die when the H-bomb went off.

They all died in the island universe, at different times. They really crash-landed on the island. All the island stuff was real. The "end," when Jack dies on the island, that's when he dies. The "Alt universe" is actually the purgatory. Though everyone died when they died (I assume Kate and those on the plane died well after Jack did left on the island and I assume Hurley and Ben died a LONG time after Jack), there is no time outside of "living," so to them, they all arrived at the same time, when in actuality, there is no time.

So island events were all real. Look at the alt-universe as another flash forward -- or a flash post-mortem -- one that occurs after each and every one of them dies, however long that takes.

What happened, happened.

+1

df1985 wrote: »
    some interesting things being said on kimmel with matthew fox. it really is open to your own interpretation.

My feed went into a repeat of the episode. No Kimmel. Keep us posted on anything interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

hmmm not used to ads when watching lost :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Wow, that was so bad. Makes me wish I had never seen a single episode.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Greatest load of crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

I'm not sure what to make of it. All I know is that I'm sad. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭cmrm

where was Walt and his dad?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

That.

Was.

Epic.

The ultimate nod to fan theories, the Flash Sideways wasn't an alternative reality like everyone thought, it was their 'purgatory' that they all created to find one another, so that once they were all dead that they could move on together.

Jack dying in the bamboo bringing it full circle back to the very beginning was genius, although I think that's why some people are thinking that meant the whole thing was purgatory. Loved how it just brought the whole thing full circle! :)

Overall, I don't think that they could have finished it off any better.

I kept thinking, once the stone was replaced, "Why doesn't the island heal Jack?" but I guess it's because the island is done with him now.

I'm might re-watch this tonight, but I don't know if I can take all the welling-up moments again! It was like watching The Constant again and again and again it was so emotional!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Im confused......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Yeah at first I was thinking "so it was purgatory!?" but then I copped that just the flash sideways were like a kind of "flash purgatory" while what happened on the island was still real. So I guess the likes of what Juliet said in the first episode of the season before dying was just her experiencing this alternate purgatory thing since as Christian said there was "no time" there.

As far as the character stories go, I'm satisfied. Most characters got at least an adequate wrap up, and I guess that's the most important part.

There is still a sense of disappointment that so many themes were developed throughout the show, particularly how so many people and places were named as "special", but were never fully explained or resolved. I won't dwell too much on it though.

So I'm somewhat happy with it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Wasn't great is all I can say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Few answers, only a few surprises: exactly how it should have been.

Totally fitting send off to the show, with the focus on the characters we've known for six years receiving the send off they deserved. The on island stuff was a fairly predictable conclusion to the arc, but nice to see a satisfying conclusion - also, grinned like a chesire cat when Lapidus reappeared :)

The flash-sideways reveal, well pretty much entirely justified the plot. Not as simple as I thought it was going to be, I think it's all summed up by the image of Christian by the pane glass window - themes of spirituality, rebirth, death, life. These dictated the show throughout, and that image encapsulated it perfectly.

The final image was perfect. Jack's eye closing, the journey ending. An extremely apt conclusion to the series.

See ya later Lost, it was a great ride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

hmmm I feel kinda cheated.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭cmrm

walt..anyone?!
    this was where they were all supposed to meet again...where was walt and his dad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭kevin216

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: At least shannon was looking well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Serious lump in throat stuff man

I am a late comer to lost and literally watched the entirety of season 6 today watched ep 16 at around half 3 this morning probably why the lump is so big

I think this ending actually gives you alot more then other season endings (obviously because it is the last) fantastic ending imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Fair play to them, I always got a feeling that they were coming from a spiritual point of view more so than a scientific. I'm glad that they stuck to their guns and didn't compromise their vision for the sake of appeasing certain fans. I guess you have two different kinds of Lost fans; those that will say that The Constant/The Variable are their favourites because that is what the show is all about to them. Whereas on the other hand there are those that will say that the likes of Ab Aeterno is their favourite because that to them is what the show is all about. I think the latter fanbase won out here. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

JDee wrote: »
    And Im glad it wasnt. The finale should have being about the characters we followed for 6 years and it was, an then some :)

This is the best explanation Ive read on Dark UFO so far on the ending

+1
    Few answers, only a few surprises: exactly how it should have been.

Totally fitting send off to the show, with the focus on the characters we've known for six years receiving the send off they deserved. The on island stuff was a fairly predictable conclusion to the arc, but nice to see a satisfying conclusion - also, grinned like a chesire cat when Lapidus reappeared :)

The flash-sideways reveal, well pretty much entirely justified the plot. Not as simple as I thought it was going to be, I think it's all summed up by the image of Christian by the pane glass window - themes of spirituality, rebirth, death, life. These dictated the show throughout, and that image encapsulated it perfectly.

The final image was perfect. Jack's eye closing, the journey ending. An extremely apt conclusion to the series.

See ya later Lost, it was a great ride.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

I have no idea what happened but all I know is I was literally bawling when they all met back in the church and when Vincent lay next to Jack I lost it. I'm so sad :(

With that out of the way I have no idea what actually happened. Where did the light take Jack to? What was the flash-sideways, I don't get purgatory. I mean why would Jack have a son etc and why was Mrs. Farraday so against Desmond reuniting them if it was all planned?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Fair play to them, I always got a feeling that they were coming from a spiritual point of view more so than a scientific. I'm glad that they stuck to their guns and didn't compromise their vision for the sake of appeasing certain fans. I guess you have two different kinds of Lost fans; those that will say that The Constant/The Variable are their favourites because that is what the show is all about to them. Whereas on the other hand there are those that will say that the likes of Ab Aeterno is their favourite because that to them is what the show is all about. I think the latter fanbase won out here. ;)

In fairness that's a bit black and white. The Constant, for example, is potentially the best written "character episode" they ever did. The empathy felt towards Desmond and Penny in that episode was unmatched.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

That was incredibly gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 treefour

Enjoyed it for the most part. Don’t know how it could have ended any different. Vincent FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Jesus a lot of the posters here jumping to conclusions without listening to what was said by Jack's father! i.e. the fact that they had all died but at different times, and that more importantly they had to meet up because of the journey they had had together.

If they had died in the crash in Ep 1, there was no journey - except the flight itself

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Well that was a rollercoaster. Openly in tears at the Charlie / Claire scene, the Kwons in hospital, the final few minutes in the church. Intense intense television.

I loved it. I have to admit that I didn't know what exactly happened at the end, I assumed that they died when the H bomb went off, but the alt-timeline-being-purgatory explanation is a satisfying ending to the show, you can't legitimately say that you were cheated by out seeing as all the on-island events did actually occur.

Oh and Vincent laying down beside a dying Jack as he headed off towards the light in the church had me bawling. 6 years summed up into that one shot. And the eye closing, perfection.

A composite list of all the possible interpretations would satisfy any fan, surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭mocata

Definitely feel a bit cheated. Was bittersweet end of an era stuff, the amount of things left unexplained is just wrong, its disingenuous of the writers to say beforehand that they were gonna focus on the characters in the finale, and that stuff like numbers/light/smoke monster werent that important.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Wow amazing finish to the series. People who were just in it for the answers wont be happy but it was a fitting end to the Losties story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

So they took the sixth sense/Field of Dreams ending at the end. Something tells me this is not what the writers planned at all.
    And no sign of Michael at the church. Had hoped to see Mr Eko too. The ending didnt add up at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Wow, that was interesting. Its definetly going to need to be watched again for me to make up my mind on it.

So sad now though that it is now the end :(

Advertisement