Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin or bust...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Saturday
    Headed out to Maynooth for the race. I was expecting a small field, but the turnout was smaller that I had anticipated?! Only 12 runners and I was the only girlie :eek:

So it was looking fairly likely that the last place spot had my name on it... :rolleyes:
    Never mind. Being philosophical, my aim here was not to race the best that Board has to offer, rather to log a 5k time that I could be proud of, and to prove to myself that the 2 hour HM goal time was not totally beyond me?!

The run was 3 laps of a circuit around the South Campus in NUI. One lap first as a warmup and then off we went. I Didn't have a pace in mind. Just run and keep it going. Most of the field disappeared into the distance by the time we had a half mile done :p
    I had a pacing partner for the first two laps. The last lap we both upped the pace, but he had more than me so I told him to push on.
    I came home in 11th place (not last then) in 25:22 (faster than I expected!) and about 15 or so seconds behind my running buddy.

It was a fun day. Everyone was very friendly and encouraging. Had a ball. Thanks lads!

Summary
    3.06 mile in 25:22
    Avg Pace: 08:17 min/mi

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Emer911 wrote: »
    and to prove to myself that the 2 hour HM goal time was not totally beyond me?!

2 hour half will be no bother to you, tbh. Well done today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aero2k

I expect a sub 17 min finish. :p).
    From who? I reckon I could have done it if I'd had you in front with a big balloon!:D
    Saturday
    rather to log a 5k time that I could be proud of, and to prove to myself that the 2 hour HM goal time was not totally beyond me?!
    ......It was a fun day. Everyone was very friendly and encouraging. Had a ball. Thanks lads!
    You should be proud of that time, and I echo your sentiments on the fun part.
    Apologies for being slow to recognise you - last time we met you were dressed like a normal human, sans cap, and my brain had a little more oxygen.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Well done on doing a great job of representing the women of boards and with a great time too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

Well done on a great run yesterday Emer, you looked very strong crossing the line.

• Advertisement

shazkea wrote: »
    Well done on doing a great job of representing the women of boards and with a great time too :)

thanks Shazkea. Maybe next time there'll be a few more of us and we can give the guys some competition (not me, of course... but I know there are some faster runners out there) :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

well done Emer, Great time! And good on ya for representing the girls! :)

Sunday
    ...bold, bold! Hungover and unmotivated. :o
    I did the grocery shopping. Does that count as cross training?:rolleyes:

Monday
    Went Swimming with my personal 10 year old slave driver :D
    24 lengths of the pool in about 30 odd minutes. That's 600mt by my reckoning? I know is pi$$ slow, but as I don't really count myself a swimmer I'm very happy with that. I do about 1 length and then have a rest. Only get 2 in a row when I'm feeling VERY good, which is why I'm so slow...
    I'm going to track this and see if I can increase the distances and reduce the rest periods over time.

...I'll post my plan for the week tomorrow. I still have to design it ;)

thanks Shazkea. Maybe next time there'll be a few more of us and we can give the guys some competition (not me, of course... but I know there are some faster runners out there) :p

Yeah shame I couldn't make it this time, hopefully next time. I don't think the guys have anything to fear with my times :rolleyes:

What's next on agenda for you - triathlon with that swimming training???

What's next on agenda for you - triathlon with that swimming training???

Nah. Swimming is just for fun. The thoughts of me swimming in open water is seriously scary?! :eek:
    ...and as for me on a racing bike :p

• Advertisement

Plan for the week
    ...better late than never!
    I'm going to do a 10K plan for a few weeks to get my speed up, and then follow up with a HM plan to take me to the big one - the Two Oceans HM in April next year (:eek:)

Mon | Rest/XT
    Tues| 4mi
    Weds| XT (Yoga)
    Thurs|Tempo Run 5mi, inc Warm; 3mi faster; Cool
    Fri| Rest
    Sat|4mi
    Sun|Long Run 8mi

Tuesday
    Very cold out there this evening.
    Though there were 4 miles in the plan I could only manage 3 today, and that was even in two stints! Life as a single parent is tough (must keep the chin up! Just a few more days... :rolleyes:) But hey, at least it's something.

Did 1.7 in my first stint between dropping off one and collecting the other.
    Then drove to the next collection point and did another 1.3 with my little shadow in tow, and she kept up pretty well too.
    Fun run really, despite the bitty nature of it.

Summary
    3.01 mi in 29:01
    Avg Pace: 09:38 min/mi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

Well done on the 5K time.
    That was my little (?) brother you were running with and he was dead chuffed when you told him to push on and that he had more in his legs. He had been scared silly that he would be trailing in last despite me telling him that he wouldn't. Then when he saw there was only 11 runners he was dreading it. He was delighted to have the company for the run.
    You really shouldn't have too much bother getting a sub 2 hour half with that 5k time.

Well done on the 5K time.
    That was my little (?) brother you were running with and he was dead chuffed when you told him to push on and that he had more in his legs. He had been scared silly that he would be trailing in last despite me telling him that he wouldn't. Then when he saw there was only 11 runners he was dreading it. He was delighted to have the company for the run.
    You really shouldn't have too much bother getting a sub 2 hour half with that 5k time.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.
    And you can tell the bro I was more than happy for the company. :D

Plan for the week
    ...better late than never!
    I'm going to do a 10K plan for a few weeks to get my speed up, and then follow up with a HM plan to take me to the big one - the Two Oceans HM in April next year (:eek:)

Ooooh you've signed up for it - excellent as it did look fun. Time to start training on the hills around Dub then :).

Ooooh you've signed up for it - excellent as it did look fun. Time to start training on the hills around Dub then :).

Yeah, it's a bit daunting... Them hill are beckoning alright. What am I getting myself into :rolleyes:

Wednesday
    Last yoga class of the session, and my instructor dropped a bombshell - she's going to be training abroad for most of next year, so won't be teaching here, obviously :(
    So now I have to go find another instructor (south Dublin area). If anyone has any ideas...

Thursday
    5 Mile tempo run. Oh dear g0d, I did not want to go out tonight! There was a schizo argument going on in my head all evening...
    "it's sooo cold and miserable"
    "but you'll be fine once you get going!"
    "but I'm too tired and hungry" "
    "Just get the gear on and go for a bit"
    "but I want to just snuggle up on the couch and eat chocolate"
    "But you'll be much happier when you've done it"
    I eventually convinced myself to go out. Layered on the gear (did I mention it was cold out?:rolleyes:) and headed out into the miserable, wet, wintry evening.
    The plan was to do a mile warm-up, a mile cool down and 3 faster (tempo) miles in the middle. I didn't bother checking the watch - couldn't see it anyway. Found it a tough run, but I kept going and did the full 5 miles (that conversation did follow me out on the run...
    "head home after 2 / after 3 / after 4..." :p)

Middle (tempo) miles were 9:37 / 8:23 / 9:36

Was not feeling the love tonigh, but I'm very proud of myself for not giving in.

Summary
    5 miles in 47:38
    Avg Pace: 09:31 min/mi

Friday Rest day.

Saturday 4 miles easy. After a stormy night of thunder and lightening, we woke up to a winter wonderland this morning. Even though I love walking in crisp new snow, I wasn't really excited about running in it - and possibly going flying on my ass...
    So it was a very slow, very deliberate 4 miles in the park, placing my feet extremely precisely as I went. It was really cold too, but sunny and bright. I wore 3 layers with gloves and hat (& hood too). I'd say I looked priceless! :rolleyes:
    Stuck mainly to the grass, where I could. Hard work (lift those legs!) but kind of exhilarating to have finished it. My first snowy run! (I somehow avoided it all last year?)
    I have to find an 8 miles route for tomorrow, so that might prove a challenge!?

Summary
    4 miles in 42:41
    Avg Pace: 10:38 min/mi

Good on you for getting out and surviving :). I ventured out for a walk and yeah it was interesting!! I have to find a 15 mile route for tomorrow as not a chance I can spend 2+ hours running around a pitch or treadmill.
    Have fun with the 8 tomorrow.

Good on you for getting out and surviving :). I ventured out for a walk and yeah it was interesting!! I have to find a 15 mile route for tomorrow as not a chance I can spend 2+ hours running around a pitch or treadmill.
    Have fun with the 8 tomorrow.

Ooooh! lets hope for a thaw tonight. However hard 8 will be, 15 in that is going to be tough. Wrap up warm! At least I can do 3 or so laps of my park - boring, but do-able. Couldn't do that for 15 though...:eek:

• Advertisement

Sunday 8 miles LSR
    Well the thaw definitely didn't come - quite the opposite actually. Deep snow everywhere this morning, so the park was the only location I was going to entertain. It was absolutely beautiful out there though.
    It was a VERY SLOW LSR. I ran loops of the park in various directions but did feel like I was running with weights on my ankles. It's tough running in deep snow, but it's fun making tracks in it :D Felt like a kid!
    Loads of people out enjoying the unseasonally early snow. The park was chock full of kids with plastic snow shovels barrelling down any hill they could find.

A fun (hard) run. Glad I didn't chicken out.

Summary
    8.25 miles in an embarrassingly slow time that I'm not reporting.

960 miles done so far this year, so I have to keep up the effort for just a couple of more weeks to get to the magical 1000... :cool:

Unless the snow scuppers me, it should be well possible!

Monday| Rest/XT
    Tuesday | Easy 5mi
    Wednesday | Speedwork 5mi w/ 3x800 in 3:55 (07:50 /mi) +400 jogs
    Thursday |Easy 4mi
    Friday | Rest
    Saturday | LSR 8mi
    Sunday |Rest/XT

No yoga this week :( so I'll be running on Wednesday instead.
    I'm planning on being out next late Saturday night so moving the Sunday LSR back a day to accommodate that.

960 miles done so far this year, so I have to keep up the effort for just a couple of more weeks to get to the magical 1000... :cool:

Oh so close - even if I have to come find you to get you on a treadmill, you're cracking that 1000 :D

Nice one on the 8 yesterday too - def hard going and pace/time goes out the window in times like this!

Oh so close - even if I have to come find you to get you on a treadmill, you're cracking that 1000 :D

LOL
    And if we get more snow tonight it's going to be a major challenge to get any running in this week. Whatever about running in daylight in the snow, running in the dark, in those conditions would probably be more of a challenge than I'd be willing to tackle! :D

Monday Rest day.

Tuesday I was NOT going out in that!! It was snowing pretty heavy when I got home, and with the freezing conditions and the snow and ice still underfoot from earlier, I decided it was wiser to stay indoors (does that make me a wuss?). I rolled out my yoga mat and did some stretches, sit ups and plank instead. Not quite the same as 5 miles, I know, but at least it's something?!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

I was the same Emer, spent yesterday evening doing some stretches :( It's just too slippy to go out at the moment - the walk between work and the train station is like a marathon these days!

I'm hoping to get to the park on Saturday for a trot - if the roads are okay to drive on. The Senior XC is supposed to be on there on Sunday!

I think we're all in the same boat at the moment RunRabbit!
    As much as I hate them, I wouldn't mind having a treadmill at home at the moment :rolleyes: Oh well...

I think this week might well be a write off at this point, if the forecast is anything to go by. Hail, snow and freezing fog with LOADS of snow and ice underfoot, does not make for good (safe) running conditions. I'm not risking a broken bone just to get my mileage done. :(

Wednesday Nothing - see previous post :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

I think we're all in the same boat at the moment RunRabbit!
    As much as I hate them, I wouldn't mind having a treadmill at home at the moment :rolleyes: Oh well...

I think this week might well be a write off at this point, if the forecast is anything to go by. Hail, snow and freezing fog with LOADS of snow and ice underfoot, does not make for good (safe) running conditions. I'm not risking a broken bone just to get my mileage done. :(

A treadmill at home would make life easier, much as I hate them! However I have neither the funds nor the space so it's not an option!

It's brutal out here, very thick snow, turned to ice on roads and pavements. We haven't had any buses all day and plenty of cars getting stuck on the hills. It's much too icy to run on and I just wouldn't feel safe running in fields on my own after dark!

• Advertisement

I was just looking at D'pop's Big 8 Challenge post, but as I'm no where near the times they're quoting I'm thinking about setting my own goals around a similar theme.

Coming off a 04:24 marathon, 25+ min 5K and 54 min 10K this year, the really slow girlie times they were looking at look about the right level of challenge for me.

1 mile - 6 mins
    3k - 12 mins
    5k - 25 mins
    5miles - 40 mins
    10k - 50 mins
    10miles - 80 mins
    Half Marathon - 2 hours
    Marathon - 4 hours

Anyone want to join me in this?! :D

Advertisement