Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"An Idiot Abroad" (Season 2) - Sky1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Excellent news - Karl Pilkington will return .... in 'An Idiot abroad 2'
    An Idiot Abroad 2: The Bucket List
    1st February 2011
    Karl Pilkington appeared on The Richard Bacon show on BBC 5live this afternoon to exclusively announce that a second series of An Idiot Abroad would be filmed and broadcast this year. The new series will feature Karl travelling the globe to take part in activities that are considered 'things you should do before you die' otherwise known as A Bucket List. There are few other details available at present, but you can listen to all of them here and remember to check out the Pilkipedia website and forum for further developments as they happen.
    http://www.pilkipedia.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Here's the interview ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

^^^ Brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

BEST.. NEWS.. EVER!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

This could possibly be even better than the first series!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Its too staged now, he was legend back in the XFM days when it was unscripted and spontaneous.

Now Sky will just turn it into a $$$ making joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Kinda a latecomer to Karl Pilkington but just watching the Rio episode now.
    Great stuff- always waiting to see what he'll say next. :D

Obviously it's a character, but i'm always wondering how much of the real Karl is in it.
    When he says he's not really into crowds and people, i tend to believe his discomfort is genuine, at least partially.

How much is it Karl and how much is a character?

Anyone who has listened to the XFM Archives knows this is the same Karl from 10 years ago..

.. yes, he's slightly more popular. But his logic (or lack thereof at times), his mannerisms and personality hasn't changed.

It's just taken 10 years for the guy to hit the mainstream.. but I'm glad for him!

PS - in other news, picked up the first series of 'An Idiot Abroad' on Blu-ray for €10 from Zavvi. Should be delivered in the next day or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

I'v seen massage's on tele, you dont normally need to have a fire extinguisher on standby when your haveing a fcuking massage

Thought that was brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭blodvyn

Since early 2001 I've listened to Karl on xfm, I can categorically state that the 3 of them have not changed one bit when they're together 10 years on, its still merchant and gervais goating him on to give some mind altering thought about todays world.

Brilliant, it's just now hes appealing to the masses people who've not heard him over the years think he's a scripted character like that of gervais in the office when it couldn't be further from the truth.

Thumbs up for series 2, best news i've had about T.V since the xmas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Has anyone listened to the Comic Relief podcast? It's brilliant.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

My favourite parts are in part 4 where Karl discusses his views on helping out Africa and part 6 where Karl discusses his movie idea. Hope Tom Cruise listens to this and considers it. :pac:

Worth checking out if you have the time to spare.

Completely forgot about the Comic Relief podcast..

..that's my work morning listening sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mandz

Are any of you watching the Ricky Gervais Show on E4 and Channel 4? Its kind of along the lines of an Idiot Abroad (only in animation) just the 3 of them talking about random stuff. So glad to hear there's gonna be a second series, I loved the first

mandz wrote: »
    Are any of you watching the Ricky Gervais Show on E4 and Channel 4? Its kind of along the lines of an Idiot Abroad (only in animation) just the 3 of them talking about random stuff. So glad to hear there's gonna be a second series, I loved the first
    If you're watching on Channel 4/E4 right now, then that is the second series.

I'm watching it as it airs in the US, and they're on season 2 episode 9 - see here. Great fun alright!

It's simply recycled audio of them from the podcasts to animation, but very entertaining nonetheless.

Saw the first season on DVD in HMV over the weekend for about €12.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Riddle101

mandz wrote: »

Yeah I love watching that show. But i'd rather it just be all three of them doing it themselves, as oppossed to it being animated. I just don't think there's any need for it really as it's already funny without the animation.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Yeah I love watching that show. But i'd rather it just be all three of them doing it themselves, as oppossed to it being animated. I just don't think there's any need for it really as it's already funny without the animation.
    I don't get it? You want them to repeat what they've already said in the podcast verbatim for HBO to film it! :confused:

Or would you prefer just the three animated characters sitting round the table talking without the cutaways to how what they're talking about plays out in animated form? That adds a nice touch to it I think... it'd be a bit boring just having a camera fixed on three animated characters chatting for 20 minutes.

The dialogue is still funny, but the animation adds to it

Basq wrote: »
    I don't get it? You want them to repeat what they've already said in the podcast verbatim for HBO to film it! :confused:

Or would you prefer just the three animated characters sitting round the table talking without the cutaways to how what they're talking about plays out in animated form? That adds a nice touch to it I think... it'd be a bit boring just having a camera fixed on three animated characters chatting for 20 minutes.

The dialogue is still funny, but the animation adds to it

I mean, do away with the animation and just do it as normal, with Ricky, Karl and Steve as themselves and not animated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭blodvyn

^^ I don't think you understand, the reason its animated is because all of the dialogue comes from previous podcasts / xfm shows, without adding the animation there is no new show!

The animation makes it, pew pew!

blodvyn wrote: »
    ^^ I don't think you understand, the reason its animated is because all of the dialogue comes from previous podcasts / xfm shows, without adding the animation there is no new show!

The animation makes it, pew pew!

Oh right, didn't know that. Only just started watching the shows currently being shown on TV, so I wouldn't have known about the podcasts or xfm shows.

• Advertisement

Sounds like The recording of 'An Idiot abroad 2' is going as well as might be expected! Here's a voicemail Karl sent to Ricky (volume is low, transcription below under spoilers) ...

Listen, I'm not doing the dolphin thing. We'll have to do something else. It's f@cking ridiculous. I'm stuck on the front of the thing here, it's going dark, I've been on it for Christ knows how f@cking long, it's doing my f***ing head in. The c*** who's driving it won't turn it around. I'm sat here on the front of the boat over peaked eating Fisherman's Friends, and I'm f@cking ugh.. Seriously, we've got to change the dolphin one. We'll have to redo some other sheet we talked about on that list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Voice Message left on the 1st of April?

Would love a series 2 but I'll take this one with a pinch of salt :)

Voice Message left on the 1st of April?

Would love a series 2 but I'll take this one with a pinch of salt :)

Series 2 is being filmed right now, see post #182

Try to keep up! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I love how "f**king" is bleeped out on that voicemail but "c**t" isn't :D

Roar wrote: »
    I love how "f**king" is bleeped out on that voicemail but "c**t" isn't :D
    There's an uncensored one here..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Just watching one of the animated podcasts on Ch4 now.
    The man has cheered me up.
    Talking about a moth... "if you've got no eyes, you shouldn't have wings".
    There is no way in hell an idiot, or anything close, could come up with that.

From the most recent episode of 'The Ricky Gervais Show'..

Ricky and Karl were out having food in The Ivy (fancy London restaurant known for having celeb regulars and meetings). Karl and Ricky gets presented with a plate of sushi with one small blob of wasabi (a VERY spicy green horseradish served with sushi) on the side.

Ricky turns around for a minute and turns back to see Karl struggling to breathe and gasping for water. He ate the whole blob of wasabi in one go saying..

"I thought it was one mushy pea!"

What a f*cking legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I mean, do away with the animation and just do it as normal, with Ricky, Karl and Steve as themselves and not animated.

the audio is from about 10 years ago, they just animated what they're saying.

I love the one talking about super powers, pissed myself laughing the first time I heard that.

"Mr K. Dilkington" never fails to make me laugh either :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,452 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"Me and Suzanne went to a cafe called "Tattoo's". The bloke running it didn't have any tattoos... but we never saw his wife"

He's the World's most idiotic genius. Haven't seen too much of the animated show, but recently relistened to all the podcasts. Going to start going through the old Xfm shows, which I'd really recommend.

• Advertisement

Series 3 of 'The Ricky Gervais Show' has been confirmed (and probably more original material to come!)

http://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/00000509/the_ricky_gervais_show_series_3/
    The Ricky Gervais Show, the animated TV series based on Ricky Gervais' hit podcast, will be returning for a third series - and it looks likely a fourth series will be commissioned next year.

Channel 4 confirmed this morning that the show would be returning to UK screens next year, following the news that Emmy-winning animated series has been re-commissioned for a third series by HBO - the American network which produces the programme.

Shane Allen, Head of Comedy at Channel 4 said: "The Ricky Gervais Show is a proper treat in our schedule. The killer funny cross-examination of Karl's deranged logic and life philosophies are a perfect fit with the comedy savvy audience of Channel 4. It's also got the sweetest profile with a vast share of the 16-34 demographic. It should keep getting recommissioned until Karl is 'cured'."

Ricky Gervais says: "I am absolutely thrilled. The third season should use up the rest of the best stuff from the audiobooks and podcasts, and we are planning to record brand new material for Season 4."

The original audio recordings, which feature Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant and Karl Pilkington bantering about all kinds of topics, have now been downloaded over 300 million times. The TV series is animated by Los Angeles-based Wildbrain Entertainment, with direction from Gervais on the look and feel of the characters.

The second series of The Ricky Gervais Show is currently broadcasting in the UK. New episodes are on E4 on Tuesdays at 10:30pm, and repeated on Channel 4 on Thursdays.

Advertisement