Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"An Idiot Abroad" (Season 2) - Sky1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

was a good show, but I do think he was hamming up the "I'm so negative about everything". It's like that's what people were expecting, so he just kept it up for the sake of it..Still, it wasn't the worst thing on the box. Between that, Never Mind the Buzzcocks, Have I got news for you, it's a reminder that UK comedy is still streets ahead of anything on RTE these days....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Did anyone else find it a bit sad when he went back to his old holiday haunt in Wales? It looked so crap and poor Karl looked really dejected about the whole thing. You should never go back to places you loved as a child! They will always disappoint!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

ncmc wrote: »
    Did anyone else find it a bit sad when he went back to his old holiday haunt in Wales?

Not really, cause I was laughing at him trying to convert the couch into a bed :pac:

I did feel sad though in general watching last night when they were showing the highlights of the series. Just because it reminded me about how good it was and now it's over. Not only am I hoping for another series but I wish it was starting next week. I really don't watch that much tv and this was the only show I really looked forward to each week. One of the funniest shows ever imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

i think there will defiantly be an other season sky would be mad not pursue him into it maybe in an other type of show who knows FOOLS GOLD ;)

i think they will just flog the cash at him and he be off again everyones a winner sky, Karl and most importantly us the viewers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Not really, cause I was laughing at him trying to convert the couch into a bed pacman.gif

Ok that bit was hilarious, I'll give you that much, but there was something sad about him realising how crap the place he loved as a child was.

I've got everything crossed that they do another series :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Scien wrote: »
    I'm gonna miss this show a lot... It has been thoroughly entertaining.

99% of people on TV want to be on TV. Karl genuinely does not, and it makes the programme so much more appealing.

SERIES 2 PLEEEEEEASE!

Do you genuinely believe that Karl Pilkington does not want to be on TV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

seachto7 wrote: »
    was a good show, but I do think he was hamming up the "I'm so negative about everything". It's like that's what people were expecting, so he just kept it up for the sake of it..Still, it wasn't the worst thing on the box. Between that, Never Mind the Buzzcocks, Have I got news for you, it's a reminder that UK comedy is still streets ahead of anything on RTE these days....
    really? he wasnt negative about everything. Mainly it was down to ricky+steve giving him **** places to stay and not pleasent things to do.

Personally I hate travel shows that praise everything as its "the culture" or whatever, and i think its kind of expected you should fake interest and be amazed at things which arent really that great to begin with.

Think Karl just says what alot of us would think in those situations.

Ricky and steve come across as absolute dicks alright and karl seems a decent bloke anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Having just watched the at home show, I don't think I will ever be able to watch him and the bees in Mexico without roaring with laughter :D :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Was watching this last night on dvd , I practically bent double laughing(and I'm not that flexible) when he was decribing his issue with the toilet facilities to his Indian rick shaw driving mate .

Karl : thats not gonna work for me

Assiaq : what is your issue with it

Karl : *looking down as he squats over the hole* Splash back for one

Assiaq : this way is better trust me

Karl : You wont be saying that if I get to the toilet before you in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

I watched the final episode last night. Absolute brilliance. The best tv show I've seen in ages.

Congress Tart was hilarilous. "We want shot of him, he just keeps saying Congress Tart!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

I really enjoyed this series, Pilkington is legend.

The only drawback was Gervais' and Merchant's smirking superiority.

I know Karl was in on the joke.
    Nevetheless, a nice hard punch to both of those smug faces would have ended it perfectly.

Maybe next series. :)

If he does do something else on tv, I hope he goes it alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    If he does do something else on tv, I hope he goes it alone.

Yeah, Gervais is not and may never have been that funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

The only drawback was Gervais' and Merchant's smirking superiority.

Am I the only one who likes Gervais' and Merchant's piss taking and smirking at Karl?

I love seeing the enjoyment they get from getting Karl annoyed. It started in the podcasts and now the joke is even bigger and, I think, funnier.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who likes Gervais' and Merchant's piss taking and smirking at Karl?

I love seeing the enjoyment they get from getting Karl annoyed. It started in the podcasts and now the joke is even bigger and, I think, funnier.
    Yep... Gervais and Merchant are extremely quick witted on the spots to some of Karl's comments.

Gervais's laugh is irritating.. but himself and Merchant are so incredibly talented that I couldn't care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Yep, show wouldn't be the same without them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

basquille wrote: »
    Yep... Gervais and Merchant are extremely quick witted on the spots to some of Karl's comments.

Gervais's laugh is irritating.. but himself and Merchant are so incredibly talented that I couldn't care less.
    gervais is about as talented as a baboons anus.I despise him.karl is entertaining, but clearly playing to the camera. Hes no "idiot" in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Ah Ricky Gervais, the great divider!

I think he is the greatest comedy mind since Larry David, but I can understand how people hate him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    gervais is about as talented as a baboons anus.

Shit, if a baboons anus could produce the office, I'd like to see what he could produce out the other end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

I've been listening to these guys' radio show ever since the XFM days, and I really enjoyed the entire series, apart from the Brazil episode which seemed too preoccupied with provoking a reaction from Karl.

Christ the Redeemer is the most unimpressive thing too. If I was up there I'd spend my time looking at that amazing view, the religious statue would be the last thing on my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 karlpilkington

cheers for watchin and that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

You might like this, Karl was on 5 Live today 'promoting' the DVD of the series.

He wasn't in good form ...

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭passingthrough

maybe this is the wrong place to ask this but does anyone know if its possible to get karls diary or does anyone know what his books are like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    Hes no "idiot" in real life.

No.... I'm pretty confident he is!, I don't think there is any need Karl to pretend.

maybe this is the wrong place to ask this but does anyone know if its possible to get karls diary or does anyone know what his books are like

You can get it from Amazon
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Idiot-Abroad-Travel-Diaries-Pilkington/dp/1847679269/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1291670496&sr=1-1

His books are a good read. I've got Karlology as well. Very funny. The diary has a few bits in it that weren't on the show.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

which of Karl's books would you recommend? There's 4;

An Idiot Abroad: The Travel Diaries of Karl Pilkington
    Karlology
    Happyslapped by a jellyfish : The words of Karl Pilkington
    The World of Karl Pilkington

i might ask for 1-2 of these for Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

jaykhunter wrote: »
    which of Karl's books would you recommend? There's 4;

I haven't read the books but I can't recommend the audiobooks highly enough. You can get them on I-Tunes. They're not books as such - they're podcasts but because they charge for them they have to call them audiobooks. Each one is about 60 minutes long, costs about €2 and consists of Karl, Ricky & Steve sitting in a studio talking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Very funny show, and the X Fm archives are hilarious too, even funnier then the podcasts and audiobooks imo.

I do like the way Gervais winds him up, but sometimes his arrogance can get on my nerves, someone said Gervais has the talent of a baboons arsehole - not with his scriptwriting but definetely with his live stand up shows - SHIITE !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Bump..

'An Idiot Abroad' is debuting in the US on The Science Channel from next Saturday. So Steve, Ricky and Karl are doing a bunch of promotions and press-conference.

Here's hoping a couple of videos show up online but here's a brief description of one such press conference from Alan Sepinwall:
    Under optimal circumstances, Karl Pilkington provides plenty of fodder for his friends/colleagues/tormentors Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant to mock him about. But when you put the two creators of "The Office" in a room with their round-headed kickball of a podcast partner, hand them all tall glasses of beer and tell them to answer questions via a long satellite delay, well... then you have A Very Special Episode in the ongoing comic saga that is the three men's friendship.

Gervais, Merchant and Pilkington were appearing via satellite at press tour to promote "An Idiot Aboard," a new eight-part documentary series that Science Channel is debuting on Jan. 22 at 10 p.m. The idea is that Pilkington - whose insular, illogical worldview has made him the butt of Gervais and Merchant's jokes for years - has to travel the globe to visit the Seven Wonders of the World in what Gervais refers to as "a social experiment." In the clip reel Science Channel showed the critics, Merchant speculates at the start of the experiment that travel might finally broaden Karl's mind, while Gervais says, "I want him to hate it. I want him to hate every minute of it for my own amusement."

So naturally, Pilkington was first asked which of his friends was right with their prediction.

"I did hate it," Karl said, followed by a pause so long that Gervais had time to be overcome with two separate fits of the gigles, "but now that I'm back and it's all over, I think I got a lot out of it. I think I won in the end."

As a critic was trying to ask the next question, Merchant literally fell out of his chair laughing, because Pilkington's earpiece had broken in two, with one half lodged in his ear. (He had to spend the rest of the press conference bent over with a finger over the loose piece to keep it from falling out.)

Pilkington was asked how he felt about the title and explained the show was originally called "Karl Pilkington's Seven Wonders of the World," and that the title changed on him while he was out in the Amazon. When he objected to Gervais, Gervais said a press release had already gone out, and they had to stick with it.

"What can you do?" he shrugged.

He was asked about his relationship with the other two, and how it feels to have them constantly mocking him and calling him stupid.

"They're always annoying me. People say, 'Oh, it must be great being mates with Ricky - but it isn't. I'll tell you what it's like. It's like when you get a dog, and it seems like a good idea at the time... you realize it's a pain in the ass, and it's shi*ting everywhere. Everyone else comes over for a few minutes and they think, 'Oh, what a cute dog!' But they don't know about all the sh*t."

By this point, Gervais was perched on the edge of his seat, hanging on every word from his simple frenemy.

"I can't get enough of Karl," he said. "I treat it like I've found the Missing Link."

Pilkington said that when he returned from his travels, he tried to talk Gervais and Merchant into traveling to the places in Wales where he vacationed as a child, but they refused. And as he began listing all the different places he stayed, he said a sentence that sounded very much - not only to me, but to Merchant and Gervais, who were doubled over in laughter for a good 30 seconds afterwards - like "I had to stay in an old gay man."

A reporter asked Pilkington to describe a typical day in his life, and Gervais began ranting about having witnessed Karl doing his own plumbing, and Karl in turn complained that Ricky and Stephen seem to work only a few hours a day.

"That's because we're geniuses!" Gervais retorted.

Pilkington tried to prove his point by asking the reporter if she cleaned her own drains, and was baffled when the reporter said she usually calls her manager.

Calling back to an earlier question about what this show was doing on Science Channel, Gervais said, "That's the science right here. How does it function? How does it live? We don't know. That's the science."

Advertisement