Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"An Idiot Abroad" (Season 2) - Sky1

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Ricky saying "Alright boy!" is annoying as well.

Jebus, some people really will get annoyed over anything! I can understand Rickys laugh being annoying sometimes, but saying "alright boy", what the hell is wrong with that :D

This is one of the best things on tv right now. Karl is hilarious without meaning to be. His face when he sees the hippo, him laughing at the end, thinking he can repair the boiler when he gets the t-shirt, the sudden interest in the market when he hears the price, the face when the guy tests the s*** for freshness and especially him dancing. All comedy GOLD.
    You need Gervais and Merchant in the show as he is not widely known so it brings in more viewers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭human repellent

This is one of the best things on tv right now. Karl is hilarious without meaning to be. His face when he sees the hippo, him laughing at the end, thinking he can repair the boiler when he gets the t-shirt, the sudden interest in the market when he hears the price, the face when the guy tests the s*** for freshness and especially him dancing. All comedy GOLD.
    You need Gervais and Merchant in the show as he is not widely known so it brings in more viewers.

I've listened to every single XFM show from the early 2000's and all the podcasts and believe me when I tell you Karl knows he's being deadpan now :) Still in certain situations he is genuinely funny, but that doesn't happen all that often any more, it's very scripted now.

However I LOVED the market, the intrest when he found out the price of the clothes was hilarious.

Still love the show this season, 1-3 were bad 4-5 have been epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

"it's called acting dear boy"

(can't remember the actor i quoted there)

"it's called acting dear boy"

(can't remember the actor i quoted there)

Having also seen/listened to just about everything Karl has done, he is not that good an actor. Whilst there may be good editing and re-takes, this show only works because Karl is naturally hilarious with his warped and honest thinking.

Feel sorry for all those people with broken remotes who choose to watch something just so they have something to complain about. Ask Santa for a universal remote!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

Still love the show this season, 1-3 were bad 4-5 have been epic.

Agree with that, episode 4 was amazing and episode 5 has been right up there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

I'm really looking forward to the Route 66 episode next week, by the looks of it he'll be doing some wing walking. It'll be interesting to see how they've managed to talk him into doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Having also seen/listened to just about everything Karl has done, he is not that good an actor. Whilst there may be good editing and re-takes, this show only works because Karl is naturally hilarious with his warped and honest thinking.

Agree with that 100% I don't get all this "its all scripted now" opinion - if you follow Karl from the start you'll know that hes always like this. And its f*ckin great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Route 66 episode was good enough. Best part, had me in stitches, was:
    "I look like Spiderman at a funeral"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

At the hugging thing "I've gotta get goin, the traffic" :D brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

"'Ave a jump!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

I've a lot of time for Pilkington, I like the way he sees the world and how he expresses his frustrations with the nonsense he encounters. His own contributions are in no way scripted imo, but he does have a talent for comic timing and an appreciation of the surreal.

For me however, the inherent contrivance of the format stifles him. The boringly predictable infantilism down the line from London also grates.

You could remove Gervais & Merchant altogether, send Karl on a travelogue to some particularly interesting parts of the world (Lagos, Detroit, Bogota etc.) - and his take would be highly amusing, but he's also capable of interesting observations, oddly engaging interaction and slightly skewed social commentary.

Imagine 'Around the World in Eighty Days' or even a 'Whickers World' type show with Karl at the helm - I think that'd be very watchable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Fair play to him standing on that old biplane. I was sick just watching it.

Actually, I wonder if Gervais or Merchant have done any of these things?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,452 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Fair play to him standing on that old biplane. I was sick just watching it.

Actually, I wonder if Gervais or Merchant have done any of these things?

I think Merchant does do a fair bit of travelling, but wouldn't have done most of the stuff they've made Karl do, or sleep, eat etc in such poor conditions that Karl has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,452 ✭✭✭✭Penn

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Ricky saying "Alright boy!" is annoying as well.

Jebus, some people really will get annoyed over anything! I can understand Rickys laugh being annoying sometimes, but saying "alright boy", what the hell is wrong with that :D

Exactly. What's the problem? That's how some people talk to their friends. One of the guys I used to be in college with, him and his friends always called each other 'chap'. Rarely ever used names, just always "Well chap", "Your round chap" etc

Ricky and Karl are friends, so chances are Ricky has been saying "Alright boy" for years. Is it really that annoying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Down here people say boy all the time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Penn wrote: »
    Exactly. What's the problem? That's how some people talk to their friends. One of the guys I used to be in college with, him and his friends always called each other 'chap'. Rarely ever used names, just always "Well chap", "Your round chap" etc

Ricky and Karl are friends, so chances are Ricky has been saying "Alright boy" for years. Is it really that annoying?

It's got nothing to do with the fact that he doesn't call him by his name or anything like that. I don't mind the words "alright boy", it's just the way he says it.
    He puts on a voice when saying it. Why say it differently to the way you normally speak?

When I said annoying, I didn't mean "fits of rage, throwing the remote at the tv, in a bad mood for the night" annoying. It's not like I mute the volume when he's talking or I can't watch the show because of it.
    Annoying might be a bit of an exaggeration but I can't think of a better word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Think it's the last episode tonight. Last week's episode with the sumo wrestling was very funny.

Don't know if this has been posted on this thread but there's a few funny lines from Karl (unsurprisingly).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Jesus !! I wonder if this is the same Hippo Karl saw ..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/nov/14/pet-hippo-humphrey-kills-owner

• Registered Users Posts: 6,111 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Anyone watch the last one "Karl comes home"?

The stuff he said to the doctor before and during the prostate exam fcukin killed me.:D

One bit was to the effect of "Is this all you do all day? Would you not try and get a promotion or something":p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,900 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://www.digitalspy.ie/tv/news/a378554/an-idiot-abroad-the-short-way-round-specials-confirmed-by-sky1.html

Sky1 has officially confirmed that An Idiot Abroad will return for two specials.
    An Idiot Abroad: The Short Way Round - featuring Karl Pilkington and Warwick Davis - will be comprised of a pair of 60-minute episodes.
    The new project will see Pilkington and Life's Too Short star Davis travelling from Italy to China to recreate the journey of famous explorer Marco Polo.
    "Karl once said to me that opposites attract," said series co-creator Ricky Gervais. "Warwick Davis is sociable, hardworking and never complains. They should get along fine."
    Pilkington added: "I don't know how it will work out. Honestly. Edmund Hillary had that Tenzing fella, Ben Fogle had James Cracknell. I've been given an Ewok."
    The Short Way Round will focus on Pilkington's "trademark observations" as he travels across Eastern Europe and India, as well as Davis's "varying experiences as a little person in different countries".
    "An Idiot Abroad has been a huge success," said Sky's head of factual Celia Taylor. "We are thrilled that Karl is back on the channel for The Short Way Round, which with the addition of the brilliant Warwick Davis, looks set to be the most entertaining yet."
    Gervais confirmed last month that Pilkington had signed up for a third series of An Idiot Abroad.
    "He was worried about it [but] he signed the contract this week, so he can't back out now," said the comic. "He's in too deep."
    An Idiot Abroad: The Short Way Round will air on Sky1 in late 2012.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Great, will have to put up with people telling me how funny it is and getting insulted when I tell them I can't stand it

I just don't get the attraction of a man pretending to be stupid in a foreign country while the overbearing Gervais cackles in a far off studio .......

Advertisement