Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increasing English Influence

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

skregs wrote: »
    I don't understand why Irish people are so hostile towards England for being better.

you could have been a bit more subtle, as if anyone is going to take that bait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

As others have said if anything I think we have a much larger American influence in this country which manifests itself in particular through TV, film and music. Any cultural influence exerted but Britain is smaller although I would say in this case we display certain trends that are more akin to them than the US i.e. fashion, intellect, similar sense plainof humour etc. I also think this is to be expected. We live on an island of 4/5 million people, our nearest neighbour speaks the same language and has a similar culture to begin with. It's also bigger, both geographically and in population terms, has a larger economy and arguably a bigger political presence on the world stage. Add to this that many Irish people have lived and worked over there, and to a lesser extent vice versa, or have family/friends there and you have the explanation for why we have British newspapers etc. I don't think it's any sort of encroachment it simply reflects the relationship between the countries in the 21st Century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

rovert wrote: »
    You are asking me questions based on things you have taken out of the context of which I made or said them. If you didnt have a track record of doing this in this thread Id put it down to a geniune mistake and correct it. But considering it is you it aint worth me time. Ill just say Ive answered the question you are posing numerous times.

Dodging the answer to the question there.

Where exactly is your answer? Remind me.

Op, can you please write your patriotic speech in irish next time so I can ignore you easier?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

aDeener wrote: »
    you could have been a bit more subtle, as if anyone is going to take that bait

In this thread? I'll put money on you being wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

gurramok wrote: »
    Dodging the answer to the question there.

Where exactly is your answer? Remind me.

Not dodging, Ive already answered it numerous times. Please stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Op, can you please write your patriotic speech in irish next time so I can ignore you easier?
    like totally ignore him? or just ignore him?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

skregs wrote: »
    I don't understand why Irish people are so hostile towards England for being better.

After all, English people aren't hostile towards Irish people for being bitter.:P

Not dodging, Ive already answered it numerous times. Please stop.

You said this
    rovert wrote:
    all Im saying if you are that much "nationalistic" that you have that much problem of a people even seeing an England jersey then it is rather hypocrical and/or odd to support an England team.

from which I said
    me wrote:
    there is a difference between supporting Tesco FC and supporting England FC

And then you said in retort
    rovert wrote:
    Which has nothing to do with what Im arguing about. But given your seemingly goldfish memory Im not surprised youve already forgotten.

As I have a 'goldfish memory', you had said the football issue and the language issue had nothing to do with your contribution to the thread so the question remains, what is your contribution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

How do you think the English FA (& the English Football Team) are funded? By supporting an English football team, you are also supporting the national team, if only in the financial sense.

• Advertisement

How do you think the English FA (& the English Football Team) are funded? By supporting an English football team, you are also supporting the national team, if only in the financial sense.

Not a patch on sponsorship. Also alot of clubs are foreign owned and alot of revenue is from foreign sources which pays the wages of foreign and English players.

Its a multinational league in the financial sense. Just ask L'Arsenal ;)

Supporting or playing for Man. U is not equal to supporting or playing for the English national team. Thats what the poster rovert did not understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Not a patch on sponsorship. Also alot of clubs are foreign owned and alot of revenue is from foreign sources which pays the wages of foreign and English players.

Supporting or playing for Man. U is not equal to supporting or playing for the English national team. Thats what the poster rovert did not understand.
    Even if it isn't the same thing, it's still hypocritical to be a Manchester United supporter and so full of loathing for the England team, not to mention being a fan/consumer of so much other British products. I certainly support England in a tournament when Ireland aren't in it - look at how much of an Irish population there is over there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

I get the feeling that this thread is going to 'kick off' any second now...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I get the feeling that this thread is going to 'kick off' any second now...

It will probably be locked when it reaches 800 posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

toiletduck wrote: »
    There'll be far more Irish shouting against England in the World Cup than against France.

Fear not OP.

And loads of peopel shput against Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea.

the_syco wrote: »
    Sin't the "Mc" not scottish? Pretty sure an Irish version would be O'Griffin?

Mc is Gaelic, both Irish and Scottish as the irish (called the Scotti by the Romans) brought Gaelic to Scotland. Mc means son off O' means decendant off.

akkadian wrote: »
    I'm highly disturbed by the increased Brit influence in Ireland. There are many English people in Ireland that are being assimilated into our culture and they're fine with me but

I never asked for the Sun, The Mirror and all the other crappy tabloid papers here. They're un-Irish. And most importantly, they're doing exactly what I'd expect Brit things to do: They're putting Ireland down.

All I see is Curry's with an add rewarding people with cash when France get knocked out of the world cup. Robbie Keane even admitted that he'd do the same thing - strikers instinct. France is a republic like ours (at least it was like we were). They've only ever been a a friend to Ireland and even sent ships over to help fight the English once upon a time.

I just saw the latest Sun add. It featured Kevin Moran and Niall Quinn talking about France not being good enough to be in the world cup. You sheeple that think this isn't propaganda had better wake up. This is the same Sun that backed the Torries. They'rr meddlers.

There is not a significant right-wing English influence in this country that is very dangerous. I'm not saying the Herald (which I read is perfect) but it's better than the imported tabloid crap.

And NO. It's not "born here, bred here, read here". You people who buy into this need to wake up. We are not the UK. I'm sure the Sun and the Mirror and D4 would like us to be but we're not, and you're going to have to trample on my dead body to change that? Comprende?

p.s We are not Europe either. We need to clean all these charlatans out of here. Give up your over-indulgent, piggy greed and accept a poorer lifestyle for a while.

I know many of you are happy to piss all over Daniel O'Connel's grave, and Michael Collins, and Cosgrave's etc. but I'm afraid I'm going to have to try and stop u.

As gaelige le do thoil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

I, D say kids are probably more influenced by american tv, film, music videos, and the internet ,depending on what tv stations you have .IF you have only rte,tv3, bbc, utv,c4 then obviously you ,ll watch more uk tv.
    RTE just do not have the money to make a large amount of tv drama or comedy programs.WE are all members of the eu now so i see no reason for being critical of the uk.No one is forced to watch uk tv or buy english papers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

proof, if it were needed, that this site and particularly this section of boards attracts your everyday kind of idiot. ya know, the ones where you go "hey, people are stupid", well here they are. you can point at them and they even give themselves names and labels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Can't you just not buy any of the rag papers and not watch British TV?

Long term, we're probably better off that the Brits were here for a while OP, they did leave us a little bit of civilisation.

Sure when we're left to our own devices we get to 2010 yet still have stuff like Daithi O'Se hosting the Rose of Tralee taking up two nights of our national TV station. I'll stick to the Beeb thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

All over the world football is a tribal game ,Most teams are supported by people from that area so to compare it to Tesco is ludicrous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

I'd much rather see theirs and Europe's influences in this country than the USA's; at least Europeans have morals.
    Stop being a hate-mongering idiot

Ahem. Irony much?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I can blow smoke rings.:D

You see, I too can write pointless shite.

You said this

from which I said

And then you said in retort

As I have a 'goldfish memory', you had said the football issue and the language issue had nothing to do with your contribution to the thread so the question remains, what is your contribution?

Well done at attributing viewpoints to me which Ive never actually made. Keep quoting me out of context too.

Poor attempt here, no wonder segaboy thanked you.
    gustavo wrote: »
    All over the world football is a tribal game ,Most teams are supported by people from that area so to compare it to Tesco is ludicrous

Dont try reasoning with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Thank **** we do without it we would have been ****ed economically without it.

And if the Irish couldn't survive (in your world, anyway) economically without abandoning their language for English, how do you explain all the other countries of the world which have thriving economies without abandoning their native languages for English?

Believe it or not, the vast majority of advanced economies are occupied by people who have not abandoned their own language for English. You don't need to be a brain surgeon to figure this out.

PS: And aren't the English-speaking Paddies doing so great with their economy nowadays anyway. No stopping Paddy now.... If only he could lecture those economically backward Finns, to take one of numerous examples, about the economic joys of abandoning their native language for English. Then the Finnish economy would be right up there with the Brits, Yanks and Irish, these "superior" anglophone economies. What a lofty aspiration indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Dudess wrote: »
    Even if it isn't the same thing, it's still hypocritical to be a Manchester United supporter and so full of loathing for the England team, not to mention being a fan/consumer of so much other British products. I certainly support England in a tournament when Ireland aren't in it - look at how much of an Irish population there is over there...

completely agree that it is hypocritical, but that seems to be the norm from the "we and us" brigade that is the irish big 4 premiership supporter. jizzing over stevie g when he is in a pool shirt, and then cursing him out of it when he dons the white of england. retarded.

dont like that, not because its england, i would say the same no matter what country you said. reeks of coat tail clinging tbh. if we are not in it, i dont care who wins, unless of course i have money on it! :D

when you state the irish population in england as your reason for supporting them, why is it england in particular? why not the US, australia etc?
    just curious :)

Dionysus wrote: »
    And if the Irish couldn't survive (in your world, anyway) economically without abandoning their language for English, how do you explain all the other countries of the world which have thriving economies without abandoning their native languages for English?

Believe it or not, the vast majority of advanced economies are occupied by people who have not abandoned their own language for English. You don't need to be a brain surgeon to figure this out.

PS: And aren't the English-speaking Paddies doing so great with their economy nowadays anyway. No stopping Paddy now.... If only he could lecture those economically backward Finns, to take one of numerous examples, about the economic joys of abandoning their native language for English. Then the Finnish economy would be right up there with the Brits, Yanks and Irish, these "superior" anglophone economies. What a lofty aspiration indeed.

Answered this question in this thread already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

I never asked for the Sun, The Mirror and all the other crappy tabloid papers here.

They need your permission to publish?
    They're un-Irish.

Irish newsrooms + Irish staff = Irish newspapers.
    I'm not saying the Herald (which I read is perfect) but it's better than the imported tabloid crap.

Evening Herald - owned from the Cayman Islands by a British Sir. Not seeing the difference here (other than it is most definitely a poorer paper than the national redtops, being a regional paper.)
    p.s We are not Europe either.

What continent do you think we're in then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

The ironic thing is he probably watched Michael Collins or Braveheart on ****ing sky movies last night and thought up this thread...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I must say that I do like The Guardian (even if I have to forgive its lefty bias), and The Times even if that does make me a West Brit. I don't see what the problem with "English influence" is. We're an English speaking nation, Britain is our closest neighbour, naturally we're going to be prone to such influence.

And, we're not Europe? - Need I remind you that without the EU we wouldn't be anywhere near where we are today?

Advertisement