Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increasing English Influence

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

The fact that we have English is becoming less and less relevant for American multi-nationals setting up here, as alot of Europeans now have a good grasp of English and more and more Europeans are leaving school fluent or near fluent in English.
    They are more likely to set up here due to Low Corporation tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

I couldn't care less what the papers say and the reason they are so pro England is coz there's a ton of failed English hacks workin in the Irish media, coz they weren't good enough in England.

Our media is full to the brim with failed journalists, Irish & English, you'd be better served reading a book and learning something instead of reading a newspaper and swallowing the crap being rammed down your throat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

If you don't like Ireland, then you can GEEEEETTT OUUUTTTT!!!!!!:D

Had to be done! ;)

I don't mind England these days! I don't mind France either! The FAI are a bunch of c*nts for not leaving Limerick FC play Barcelona and that's my stance on the situation!

Anyone that still has a problem with England needs to get a f*ckin grip! If anything you should be annoyed with the people that ruined our country (to a degree) who were all irish! f*ck them wayne kerrs....

The War of Independance is over. England is our neighbour now. And I'd much rather see theirs and Europe's influences in this country than the USA's; at least Europeans have morals.
    Stop being a hate-mongering idiot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

rovert wrote: »
    Ive explained this

This is what I can find at an attempt of an explanation
    rovert wrote:
    neither are English enterprises, governed by the same association nor do their taxes go to the same exchequer nor do they have similar players in common or anything.

Since when do English enterprises sing GSTQ and wear the English flag on their uniforms?
    Didn't notice that when i was in Tesco :):D

rovert wrote:
    Yep bordering three large countries is remote

No difference. Which ones are your shining examples?

I'll give you one, Finland borders Russia and they don't speak Russian and are an advanced economy. Now why is that as according to your logic they should either have English or Russian as their major language in order to suceed. How daft:confused:
    rovert wrote:
    If you are going to limit the discussion to call centres then yeah well done. Lets forget every other industry and service located here then.

Nope, it was just one major example of why the English language is not numero uno for American MNC's locating here.

After all, why don't they base themselves in the UK instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Yep bordering three large countries is remote

The borders they have with them countries for the most part are in remote areas (lappland, Kola)
    What he is trying to say is Ireland is no more remote than Finland, sure we have a border with one of the biggest economies in the world

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Crosáidí wrote: »
    The fact that we have English is becoming less and less relevant for American multi-nationals setting up here, as alot of Europeans now have a good grasp of English and more and more Europeans are leaving school fluent or near fluent in English.
    They are more likely to set up here due to Low Corporation tax

Agreed but Im talking a bit more historical than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

akkadian wrote: »
    I'm highly disturbed
    I never asked for the Sun
    I'd expect Brit things to do
    They're putting Ireland down
    All I see is
    France is a republic like ours
    my dead body to change that? Comprende
    We need to clean all these charlatans out
    I'm going to have to try and stop u

Seriously I am very concerned for the OP mental well being.
    He is displaying some classic Schizophrenic Megalomania.

He keeps referring to himself in the first person; it’s as if he is in the belief that the British press has a personal vendetta against him or is brain washing him.

He seams to believe that the future of Ireland is dependent on him.

OP

Please contact me I can help. Don’t suffer in silence you are safe

gurramok wrote: »
    This is what I can find at an attempt of an explanation

Since when do English enterprises sing GSTQ and wear the English flag on their uniforms?
    Didn't notice that when i was in Tesco :):D

No difference. Which ones are your shining examples?

I'll give you one, Finland borders Russia and they don't speak Russian and are an advanced economy. Now why is that as according to your logic they should either have English or Russian as their major language in order to suceed. How daft:confused:

Nope, it was just one major example of why the English language is not numero uno for American MNC's locating here.

After all, why don't they base themselves in the UK instead?

You are being difficult for the sake of being difficult here. I would much more willing to continue this discussion with you if you didnt play dumb or simply discard the points you cant answer or which dont suit whatever point you are arguing. Do you have a point in some of which you say? Yes. But you refuse to acknowledge areas where Ive a point. Rendering any attempt at discussing this with you rather pointless.

Again and hopefully for the final time all Im saying if you are that much "nationalistic" that you have that much problem of a people even seeing an England jersey then it is rather hypocrical and/or odd to support an England team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

wonton wrote: »
    but i'd never piss all over cosgrave's etc!

Aye, I did that once, now I can't get Cash and Carry out of there anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭akkadian

super-rush wrote: »

Do not post in this thread again.
    piss off. I mean it! moderate me bitch

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Our problem is that we can't be trusted to govern ourselves. I say we should apply to rejoin the Union, disolve the Dail and send our MPs to Westminster.

For the craic like.

Again and hopefully for the final time all Im saying if you are that much "nationalistic" that you have that much problem of a people even seeing an England jersey then it is rather hypocrical and/or odd to support an England team.

And I outlined why that position is not hypocritical, there is a difference between supporting Tesco FC and supporting England FC, and it ain't down to cheaper jerseys in Tesco :D

And I outlined why that position is not hypocritical, there is a difference between supporting Tesco FC and supporting England FC, and it ain't down to cheaper jerseys in Tesco :D

Which has nothing to do with what Im arguing about. But given your seemingly goldfish memory Im not surprised youve already forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

piss off. I mean it! moderate me bitch

Banned for trolling and abuse.

Which has nothing to do with what Im arguing about. But given your seemingly goldfish memory Im not surprised youve already forgotten.

You're arguing on 'alleged hypocrisy' of said supporters no?

Read again
    rovert wrote:
    all Im saying if you are that much "nationalistic" that you have that much problem of a people even seeing an England jersey then it is rather hypocrical and/or odd to support an English team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

aDeener wrote: »
    the op has a point in there somewhere. i cannot for the life of me fathom why anyone purchases those so called newspapers. many of them in their english editions have serious anti irish undertones.

I buy them but if the Irish papers were the same price I would buy them instead

You're arguing on 'alleged hypocrisy' of said supporters no?

Read again

Wut, is there any point arguing anything with you? You'll just selectively take what you want from my posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Jesus there's a lot of bitterness out there.. I don't know which is worse either, the people hung up about the past or the people that hate anyone showing a trace of nationalism

Wut, is there any point arguing anything with you? You'll just selectively take what you want from my posts.

So if its not the supporter thing, what was it you were arguing for?

Was it the language thing which you abysmally failed on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I just hate everyone to make sure I have all the bases covered.

So if its not the supporter thing, what was it you were arguing for?

Was it the language thing which you abysmally failed on?

Nice come back here lol Keep on being selective.

Nice come back here lol Keep on being selective.

Huh?

I asked you a question, what was your point?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

I'm confused! What language did the OP post in?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

I'm highly disturbed by the increased Brit influence in Ireland. There are many English people in Ireland that are being assimilated into our culture and they're fine with me but

I never asked for the Sun, The Mirror and all the other crappy tabloid papers here. They're un-Irish. And most importantly, they're doing exactly what I'd expect Brit things to do: They're putting Ireland down.

All I see is Curry's with an add rewarding people with cash when France get knocked out of the world cup. Robbie Keane even admitted that he'd do the same thing - strikers instinct. France is a republic like ours (at least it was like we were). They've only ever been a a friend to Ireland and even sent ships over to help fight the English once upon a time.

I just saw the latest Sun add. It featured Kevin Moran and Niall Quinn talking about France not being good enough to be in the world cup. You sheeple that think this isn't propaganda had better wake up. This is the same Sun that backed the Torries. They'rr meddlers.

There is not a significant right-wing English influence in this country that is very dangerous. I'm not saying the Herald (which I read is perfect) but it's better than the imported tabloid crap.

And NO. It's not "born here, bred here, read here". You people who buy into this need to wake up. We are not the UK. I'm sure the Sun and the Mirror and D4 would like us to be but we're not, and you're going to have to trample on my dead body to change that? Comprende?

p.s We are not Europe either. We need to clean all these charlatans out of here. Give up your over-indulgent, piggy greed and accept a poorer lifestyle for a while.

I know many of you are happy to piss all over Daniel O'Connel's grave, and Michael Collins, and Cosgrave's etc. but I'm afraid I'm going to have to try and stop u.
    Nice post, i don't read newspapers or even watch tv it's pure ****e.
    I don't think any of them are even newspapers as it is not news it's pure bollocks for idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

I found the OP

mail.jpg

Oh republicans are an intelligent bunch.

Huh?

I asked you a question, what was your point?:confused:

You are asking me questions based on things you have taken out of the context of which I made or said them. If you didnt have a track record of doing this in this thread Id put it down to a geniune mistake and correct it. But considering it is you it aint worth me time. Ill just say Ive answered the question you are posing numerous times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Bob Z wrote: »
    I buy them but if the Irish papers were the same price I would buy them instead

if you are that concerned about the price, why do you buy newspapers at all and just get your news off the internet? hardly getting the sun et al, for its interesting opinion pieces? or the women? sure a lot more hardcore stuff is on the net for free as well??

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

I don't understand why Irish people are so hostile towards England for being better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Mick Mc Griffin.
    Sin't the "Mc" not scottish? Pretty sure an Irish version would be O'Griffin?

Advertisement