Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increasing English Influence

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Lads, who gives a f*ck??

I bleedin love watchin SOCCER and RUGBY on SKY TV!

I love watchin quality British tv and British tv stations. Meanwhile back in Gotham City.... RTE is sh1te!

I love shopping in Tesco, its cheap and the Tesco Brand products are actually nice! It has everything i want in a supermarket!

You may be completely right, but who says a British influence is all bad? There's no way the OP was sitting writing that message using an Irish-made laptop, wearing clothes exclusively made in Ireland whilst playing the Tin-Whistle and dancing an Irish Dance.

We live in the 21st Century, a global marketplace where i can drive my Japanese car to McDonalds and buy an Uncle Sam burger while i use my Finnish mobile phone to talk to my friend in Botswana!

You anti-Irish bastard - how dare you have friends in Botswana? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

rossie1977 wrote: »
    increasing english/british influence :eek:

actually this country is more influenced now by britain than any time during the occupation

we watch british tv (bbc, itv, sky)
    we shop at british stores (tesco, boots, argos, currys, dixons)
    we watch/support and play british sports (soccer, rugby)

How is that more influenced than when under control of the twin powers of British parliament and Dublin Castle? total history fail going on in AH tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

You anti-Irish bastard - how dare you have friends in Botswana? ;)

He's not so much a friend.

He's a Prince who i'm helping get his massive fortune of gold, diamonds and riches out of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

seems to be a bit of a pro brittish love in here

OP lets move to fance

and then we can hate the brits with kindred spirits, there'll be none of this hatred on french boards!:D

do me a fava

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Tabloid rags are bad, m'kay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

akkadian wrote: »
    I'm highly disturbed by the increased Brit influence in Ireland. There are many English people in Ireland that are being assimilated into our culture and they're fine with me but

You got off to a good start, but it pretty much petered out after that.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

England is a lovely place.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

kieran26 wrote: »
    seems to be a bit of a pro brittish love in here

OP lets move to fance

and then we can hate the brits with kindred spirits, there'll be none of this hatred on french boards!:D

do me a fava

At least you never let them corrupt you with the English language, you rebel you.

How is that more influenced than when under control of the twin powers of British parliament and Dublin Castle? total history fail going on in AH tonight.

Influenced by choice, rather than by order.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Did Mel Gibson die for this!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

o1s1n wrote: »
    So...what you're saying is we need to start reading French newspapers?

I mentioned your idea to an English friend, she says; like a Murphy could learn the French language well enough to read a newspaper.

What a card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

If we could just kill people who think that 'it was like, ye know" is the end of a sentence, then I'd be happy enough. And rugby jocks - Ross O' Carroll Kelly is a parody, not something to aspire to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

"go harvey, go harvey..etc"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'm highly disturbed by the increased Brit influence in Ireland. There are many English people in Ireland that are being assimilated into our culture and they're fine with me but

I never asked for the Sun, The Mirror and all the other crappy tabloid papers here. They're un-Irish. And most importantly, they're doing exactly what I'd expect Brit things to do: They're putting Ireland down.

All I see is Curry's with an add rewarding people with cash when France get knocked out of the world cup. Robbie Keane even admitted that he'd do the same thing - strikers instinct. France is a republic like ours (at least it was like we were). They've only ever been a a friend to Ireland and even sent ships over to help fight the English once upon a time.

I just saw the latest Sun add. It featured Kevin Moran and Niall Quinn talking about France not being good enough to be in the world cup. You sheeple that think this isn't propaganda had better wake up. This is the same Sun that backed the Torries. They'rr meddlers.

There is not a significant right-wing English influence in this country that is very dangerous. I'm not saying the Herald (which I read is perfect) but it's better than the imported tabloid crap.

And NO. It's not "born here, bred here, read here". You people who buy into this need to wake up. We are not the UK. I'm sure the Sun and the Mirror and D4 would like us to be but we're not, and you're going to have to trample on my dead body to change that? Comprende?

p.s We are not Europe either. We need to clean all these charlatans out of here. Give up your over-indulgent, piggy greed and accept a poorer lifestyle for a while.

I know many of you are happy to piss all over Daniel O'Connel's grave, and Michael Collins, and Cosgrave's etc. but I'm afraid I'm going to have to try and stop u.

I call **** stirring. OP hasn't been back since he posted this and probably doesn't care one way or ther other.

That or lazy journalism.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭akkadian

I mentioned your idea to an English friend, she says; like a Murphy could learn the French language well enough to read a newspaper.

What a card.

Well you can tell your friend les batersby (btw ur a brit vonspiel - at least in your black heart) to to go and sing vindaloo with her other soccer hooligan ladettes. Unfortunately most brits surely can't learn a language without leaving out words: "I'm goin shop get burger"

Anyway piss off West Brit. Kiss ur soccer hooligan friends ass. Noone sees the Brits like people outside Britain I'm sure - not that I've ever been in the craphole.

You really wouldn't be worth the effort.
    blah blah
    piss off.

Confab wrote: »
    Ha. You've described the Irish to a tee. The irony of you hating tabloids while spouting textbook tabloid opinions is interesting to say the least.

Nope, that's the ready-made masturbation side of Ireland - the West Brit side...

actually this country is more influenced now by britain than any time during the occupation

[QUOTE=rossie1977
    ;65941756]

we watch british tv (bbc, itv, sky)
    we shop at british stores (tesco, boots, argos, currys, dixons)
    we watch/support and play british sports (soccer, rugby)
    [/QUOTE]
    You do ...

[QUOTE=kieran26
    ;65941756]
    OP lets move to fance

and then we can hate the brits with kindred spirits, there'll be none of this hatred on french boards!

do me a fava

[/QUOTE]

Good idea kieran26. As I said, I have no problem with Brits (especially Scots who are less prone to excessive masturbation) in Ireland as long as they remember what dieing culture they are a part of..

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I call **** stirring. OP hasn't been back since he posted this and probably doesn't care one way or ther other.

That or lazy journalism.

Possibly he got depressed when he failed to garner critical applause for his piece.

Yes. I just used the word 'garner', it just seemed, y'know, the right thing to do.

Well you can tell your friend les batersby (btw ur a brit vonspiel - at least in your black heart) to to go and sing vindaloo with her other soccer hooligan ladettes. Unfortunately most brits surely can't learn a language without leaving out words: "I'm goin shop get burger"

Anyway piss off West Brit. Kiss ur soccer hooligan friends ass. Noone sees the Brits like people outside Britain I'm sure - not that I've ever been in the craphole.

You don't get sarcasm, do you?

I doubt you get much else either.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

piss off.

Nope, that's the ready-made masturbation side of Ireland - the West Brit side...

You do ...

Good idea kieran26. As I said, I have no problem with Brits (especially Scots who are less prone to excessive masturbation) in Ireland as long as they remember what dieing culture they are a part of..

I see some of us are massively influenced by their bad grammar, bigotry and stereotyping.

(Yes, I know not all Brits are like that and that comes accross as being hypocritical, but it's interesting the way the OP picks up on the negative aspects nonetheless!)

Also, how come you're not typing in Irish?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

and the Irish equivalent to Nick Griffin emerges.....

Kevin Myers

Possibly he got depressed when he failed to garner critical applause for his piece.

Yes. I just used the word 'garner', it just seemed, y'know, the right thing to do.

I must sincerely say, I really did enjoy that post of yours immensely. You are indeed amusing. I AM **** stirring, and with good cause. See you in Chile, or maybe Argentina?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

How does Akkadian know who Les Battersby is & how the English northerners speak if he doesn't watch British TV? Or does watching Coronation Street on TV3 not count? ;)

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

Also, how come you're not typing in Irish?

Jesus, let him murder the English language rather than try his hand as gaeilge.

I must sincerely say, I really did enjoy that post of yours immensely. You are indeed amusing. I AM **** stirring, and with good cause. See you in Chile, or maybe Argentina?

Thanks.

Why would I see you in Chile or Argentina?

Jesus, let him murder the English language rather than try his hand as gaeilge.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saoirse_na_h%C3%89ireann

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

I would be too afraid to piss in a graveyard

Same here I wouldn't even go into a graveyard after dark

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Britain gave the world... eh... Keeley Hazell, all is forgiven!:D

/thread.;)

is cuma liom!
    that's your problem..

that's your problem..

no problem for me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Noone sees the Brits like people outside Britain I'm sure - not that I've ever been in the craphole.

Please don't feel obliged to change that any time soon will you, you will only re-enforce most of the stereotypes some English people have regarding the Irish.

Advertisement