Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Really close now, im well impressed.
    How do i require these skills and tools?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nearly there...

18776125848_f6123e1a2c_z.jpg

18341229684_5d75f42f30_z.jpg

I am all a quiver!
    Awesome!

How's mother and baby BTW?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    How's mother and baby BTW?

Personally I'd say skip Mother & go straight to Earthbound

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Couldn't do the AV mod while you're in there? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Couldn't do the AV mod while you're in there? ;)

Ya take a look at doing that since its cracking open.

• Advertisement

It's a pig to put back together too!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Recently bought a NES Top Loader console off Adverts, without leads. I knew it'd a little bit of job to get it working here because of the RF output, instead of AV like the AV Famicom etc. So far I've come across a few options, 1. To get the AV mod, 2. To use it with a US video player because it apparently carries both signals or 3. Get a de-modulator which will translate the signal.

Is there something else I've missed out on? or has anyone any experience of getting a top loader up and going on European TV's?

AV Mod done and everything seems to be working ok now. How do you want the AV outputs ? The old style RCA connectors or 3.5mm jack like the Raspberry Pi - you'll need a compatible cable for the later option.

18984197382_df17b31a82_c.jpg

AV Mod done and everything seems to be working ok now. How do you want the AV outputs ? The old style RCA connectors or 3.5mm jack like the Raspberry Pi - you'll need a compatible cable for the later option.

18984197382_df17b31a82_c.jpg

I think I have a 3.5mm jack av cable.somewhere.
    How about a trailing set of av cables, with the male phonos on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Been coaxing Ciderman's Colecovision back to life recent. We've gone from totally dead, too playing blind, to this garbled mess.
    Lots of faults but interesting to work on none-the-less and making some (albeit slow) progress :)

18652577201_4ddcf9a94b_c.jpg

Lesson learned here is that I will never touch a console of Ciderman's again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Corholio wrote: »
    Recently bought a NES Top Loader console off Adverts, without leads. I knew it'd a little bit of job to get it working here because of the RF output, instead of AV like the AV Famicom etc. So far I've come across a few options, 1. To get the AV mod, 2. To use it with a US video player because it apparently carries both signals or 3. Get a de-modulator which will translate the signal.

Is there something else I've missed out on? or has anyone any experience of getting a top loader up and going on European TV's?

Is there anyone who is able to do the AV mod on a Top Loader? All the info I can find are people who are US based. This seems to be the mod...

That was quick enough, 2 weeks ahead of schedule.

eddhorse wrote: »
    That was quick enough, 2 weeks ahead of schedule.

Whered ya order from?

Whered ya order from?

Ebay,Tokyo with free shipping.

Way too pricey anywhere else. Got that for €35

Ebay,Tokyo with free shipping.

Way too pricey anywhere else. Got that for €35

Got a link?
    I have two circlip pliers made by the same company,
    the quality is insane!
    There were 25euro each :eek:

Got a link?
    I have two circlip pliers made by the same company,
    the quality is insane!
    There were 25euro each :eek:

Yup, http://m.ebay.ie/itm/141694003220?nav=SEARCH

Last one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

This might be quite handy for messing around with homemade PCB’s (superguns, simple keyboard encoders and what have you).
    Basically this guy turned his 3D printer into a PCB etcher, and it looks fairly easy as well(and the end result is actually nice looking).

http://www.3ders.org/articles/20150630-norwegian-maker-transforms-his-3d-printer-into-a-pcb-making-machine.html

It would be pretty great for prototyping something you plan on getting made up in China, or even just doing a one off design.

I know there are a couple of people here who do their own PCB designs(I’ve got a supergun from one of you :)). So is this actually something useful, or are there simpler or better ways should I decide to have a go at PCB design?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

ive a problem with my cabinet, when i switch it on it wont come on, and it trips the power in my house, any ideas?

Loose connection, not grounded, could be anything.

Any pics?

Steve X2 wrote: »
    This might be quite handy for messing around with homemade PCB’s (superguns, simple keyboard encoders and what have you).
    Basically this guy turned his 3D printer into a PCB etcher, and it looks fairly easy as well(and the end result is actually nice looking).

http://www.3ders.org/articles/20150630-norwegian-maker-transforms-his-3d-printer-into-a-pcb-making-machine.html

It would be pretty great for prototyping something you plan on getting made up in China, or even just doing a one off design.

I know there are a couple of people here who do their own PCB designs(I’ve got a supergun from one of you :)). So is this actually something useful, or are there simpler or better ways should I decide to have a go at PCB design?

Neat idea, would be useful for simple single sided boards. Making double sided this way is a complete pita.
    Did see a kickstarter recently there they were using the a 3D printer to print conductive ink to make multi layer boards. Good for prototyping but at the end of the day your going to have to send it out to a proper PCB fab at some stage :)

• Advertisement

Neat idea, would be useful for simple single sided boards. Making double sided this way is a complete pita.
    Did see a kickstarter recently there they were using the a 3D printer to print conductive ink to make multi layer boards. Good for prototyping but at the end of the day your going to have to send it out to a proper PCB fab at some stage :)

Yeah, so not any good for prototyping something like your supergun and stuff of that complexity?

Supergun could have been done single sided alright but a extra pain to decide and double-sided boards are the same price :) Jammacon stuff probably not doable with a single sided board.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

i got it fixed in the end, while cleaning out the cab i accidentally plugged the wrong connector into something i shouldn`t have and it was tripping the power, anyway does anybody have a spare cps2 A board they don`t use?

Another Jamma repair. This time is 'Super Pang', one of a heap of bad boards I got from Oisin so technically its his :)

Early CPS board and had suicided, got back up and running again following the instructions over on the deadbatterysociety. Board would now boot up but had corrupt graphics - the background colors were wrong, way too much red.

18767490063_71c10aeac7_c.jpg

One bad RAM chip replaced and we're looking good again :)

19392236781_4e80d470d1_c.jpg

Great job, any pics of these board fixes or are you keeping it all to youself?

Well impressed anyways. Super game too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

One of my favourite games, have a bootleg of it myself

Great job, any pics of these board fixes or are you keeping it all to youself?

Well impressed anyways. Super game too

No secrets :)

Bit messy but does the job, Kubuki disabled and ROM replaced with decrypted versions. Got the instructions and ROMs here.

19218123058_455f9326d9_c.jpg

New RAM at 8C installed.

19405719725_2169200aac_c.jpg

19409856251_26fee74238_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Just looking at that is making me want one!

Thanks for the photos.

I have a 1943 board that need some work. Might give that a go myself.

And Seibu Soccer that just gives a white screen.

• Advertisement

I’m looking to do an RGB mod on a PC Engine CoreGrafx. Is there anywhere in Ireland(or if not, the UK) that sells the THS7316 Amp chip thingy I need to do it properly? It’s a tiny chip, so can I buy just one? Or do I need to go for a box of the things?

I know we have a few good modders on the site here, so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Advertisement