Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Finally getting the hang of it, slowly but surely getting there!

87509AC3-E522-4D28-8E53-13E7C365DA0F_zpsj5agazjn.png

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

50/60hz mod complete!

https://instagram.com/p/1WJ5migBMe/

81800183-477D-4456-9FD9-765EE46AEAA2_zpszkfg1r7s.jpg

Wires need to be shortened a bit but it works and I'm happy! :) region mod is next.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My Gods, that Megadrive is naked!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    My Gods, that Megadrive is naked!

Relax, it's just casual Saturday night nudity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭BGOllie

nice one. well done. the first mod is always the hardest.

... you'll get braver with your second mod and most likely will destroy an otherwise fine system on your third mod :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Good job that lad! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Finally getting the hang of it, slowly but surely getting there!

A tip would be to use tinner wire :)
    also when soldering to traces
    • strip the wire (1cm~ish) best to prep both sides of the wire now, have it cut to the length you will need to attach it to whatever you want.
    • use a flux on it and 'tin' it by applying solder to it
    • trim the now tinned end of the wire down to the length that works best for what you want to solder it to
    • have the trace prepped for soldering, a fiberglass pen in your friend - then tin it using flux to aid the solder to attach to the prepped trace
    • lay the tinned tip of the wire over the trace, running in the same direction of the trace and apply a little heat from the soldering iron. A little heat is important, no need to over heat the solder/trace you might just lift/break the trace

Region mod done!

DE159006-2D78-4EB4-A9BB-97C786A0CAD6_zpsn1ksdz8z.jpg

Took a few tries to get the connection to the trace right but seems to be ok now. Not 100% sure it's a good connection but I don't want to risk breaking the trace if I keep at it. Just need to mount the switches and all set!

And one last pic for completion sake!

BB4ABC2B-87A3-437F-A1CC-665C66B92B71_zpspr783kl4.jpg

I won't be using a mega cd with this console so mounted the switches to that side as there's a nice space to do it.

Big thanks to all you guys who helped me out! And more mods to come hopefully! :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Had bugger all to post in aaages
    (New job and college projects mean feck all time)
    Anyway got a few retro pi's cheap
    I also have some knackered consoles
    putting them together gives me...
    Bionic NES!
    345081.png
    345079.png
    The NES was knackered and I'd stripped it for parts ages ago, so it was just a case.I went in with the idea of minimum soldering , so made use of USB/ HDMI m-f cables and a fair bit of dremelling and hotgluing.The Ninty logo was taken from a ripped NES cart sleeve,which also also created some panels to hide dremeling marks) and thats an old USB led and a square of yellow masking tape acting as the new power light (which saved me a lot of unneeded soldering)
    Ok so firstly yeah ..dirty dirty emulation.And its a 1st gen Pi so it cant handle Ps1 era onwards emulation.
    But! Output to composite or HDMI! up to 4 USB controllers (have a NES adaptor and also a few repro NES usb pads on the way)Netplay! Powered off a usb adaptor so it'll even work powered by the TV's USB port.
    It's running retropi as an OS so on loading you get a really slick menu with emulators listed (NES/SNES/MEG/SMS/C64 ..plus Doom , Quake etc)
    345082.png

345080.png
    I've a few other totally dead consoles so I'll probably do something similar for a meg1 and possibly something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭BGOllie

great idea. I've two dead Megadrive1 and a dead famicom... I might try this at some point!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

LongZ wrote: »
    great idea. I've two dead Megadrive1 and a dead famicom... I might try this at some point!

Im working on a meg1 one right now. .looking at a mod to keep the original controllers too ..ill post up some pics tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Im working on a meg1 one right now. .looking at a mod to keep the original controllers too ..ill post up some pics tonight

Seems to be a good option when retaining the original pads

https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Db9_gpio_rpi

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Done a cps2 conversion on a board(already converted to SF2AE) with corrupt audio, assuming the corrupt audio was a rom issue (to mars matrix) but the audio was still corrupt, I found the solution this evening though. Here it is for anyone who may run into the same issues, funny thing is the G Pal that's in there was done by someone with some crazy solder skills, I wonder why they didn't know about the jumper wire needed when they did the original conversion.
    B-board qsound routing error
    93646B-3
    93646B-4
    These earlier boards have what is suspected to be a PCB layout error affecting games that use the G PAL. Instead of routing the high address line of the qsound samples to to pin9 of PAL3, it instead routes a low address line. This results in garbled sounds.
    To fix this, lift pin9 of PAL3 out of socket and solder a jumper wire from it to pin C13 on connector CN3.

excuse the one handed gameplay, its just to show all audio is now working

Next up a cps1 daimakaimura conversion, I just need to figure which board the fault on my current cps1 boardset lies before I start.

Nice job! Apparently this was a factory fix on some earlier revision cps2 boards also.

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=30349&p=421056&hilit=cps2#p421056

Nice job! Apparently this was a factory fix on some earlier revision cps2 boards also.

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=30349&p=421056&hilit=cps2#p421056

It looks like your board originally had that factory conversion but someone removed it.

Replaced the battery on the CPS2 board I got from Kerbdog.

Went with a decent battery holder instead of a soldered battery, I know some folks have fears about the battery falling out but with the top cap on there is no way that battery is coming out accidentally.
    Original battery had a '93 date code so due a refresh :) Unless of course the board is phoenixed already ? Anyway to tell without dumping the roms ?

17000131940_c7dde8c6a1_z.jpg

'Phoenix edition' shows on the boot screen unless its been patched out which is very unlikey all my phoenixed boards use razoola's roms. Do ya have a link for the batteries, might do a couple of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Phoenix edition roms won't work with a battery, so I'd say yours is stock for certain :)

Cool beans :)

I got the bits from ie.farnell.com - part numbers: 1650673, 2293263, 1365935

• Advertisement

That battery holder is the job, gotta pick me up some of them!

Can anyone recommend a good(cheap) GAL programmer
    I think this was recommended before

• Registered Users Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Can you just buy acetone in hardware stores in Ireland? Or is it restricted in the amount you can buy?
    It's basically just nail polish remover, but I need about a gallon of it. Don't fancy buying up 20 or 30 small bottles in Boots :)

I use it to treat ABS plastic and am now doing a lot more, so stealing some from the GF's makeup bag is no longer an option :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Steve X2 wrote: »
    I need about a gallon of it

Steve's house shortly

4e84d1541b070.image_.jpg

Myrddin wrote: »
    Steve's house shortly

4e84d1541b070.image_.jpg

Haha, the kitchen does be like a meth lab when I'm treating the plastic. So if they did come in, it wouldn't look good for me :)

Any decent fibreglass supplier will have it.

http://www.glassfibre.ie/index.php/our-products

Any decent fibreglass supplier will have it.

http://www.glassfibre.ie/index.php/our-products

Cheers, that looks like my best bet. Cheap as well :)

Only discovered acetone vapour treatment on ABS plastics recently, works great if you do it right.

Edit:
    Image on the right is a pretty high res 3D print, left is after an acetone vapour bath. Not suitable for every print, but works well on some.
    HCAbxta.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Yeah, I was reading up about those before, has a nice smoothing effect which works great so long as you're not going for fine detail.

Star Lord wrote: »
    Yeah, I was reading up about those before, has a nice smoothing effect which works great so long as you're not going for fine detail.

Yeah, even a very quick bath will smooth it a bit and keep the detail (mostly).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Doge

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Cheers, that looks like my best bet. Cheap as well :)

Only discovered acetone vapour treatment on ABS plastics recently, works great if you do it right.

Edit:
    Image on the right is a pretty high res 3D print, left is after an acetone vapour bath. Not suitable for every print, but works well on some.
    HCAbxta.jpg

It makes the owl look very Dark Vaderesque! :)

Advertisement