Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Jesus that's manky! No minty after pic? :)

Very bad wasn't it? How on earth does a console get so dirty I'll never know! Will nab a post-cleaning pic tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭Doge

Nice job! What did you use to blow the electronics clean again?

When i google "Air Gun" I get this:

CO2-air-rifle.jpg

:)

Doge wrote: »
    When i google "Air Gun" I get this:

Ha, nah, nothing like that. More like this:

small-airbrushing-air-compressor.jpg

It's obviously for airbrushing, but works very well as an alternative to regular cans of compressed air :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Or

henry%20hoover.jpg

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Or

henry%20hoover.jpg

Henry+on+cocaine+snorts_c34f81_4758254.gif

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »

It's obviously for airbrushing, but works very well as an alternative to regular cans of compressed air :)

Ah, a compressor!
    Does yours have an air filter built in it to get rid of moisture in the compressed air?
    Would be a lickle worried about using it on electronics without one.

I discovered a nice cheap device recently for cleaning pc's etc... quickly with the least amount of fuss:

You can get them for £20 + parcel motel from uk ebay sellers. :)

A quarter of the price of the fancy Datavac ED500!

Doge wrote: »
    Ah, a compressor!
    Does yours have an air filter built in it to get rid of moisture in the compressed air?
    Would be a lickle worried about using it on electronics without one.

It does indeed have a moisture trap :) I also left it apart for about two days after cleaning just to be sure to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭BGOllie

use mine for that too :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Im actually looking to get a compressor at the minute for air brushing, any recomendations?

Im actually looking to get a compressor at the minute for air brushing, any recomendations?

Not specifically, I don't know that much about them. Things to look for:

Moisture trap
    PSI regulator (you want to be airbrushing between 15/25 psi for small/mid size models)
    Something that is known not to 'pulse' when building pressure, as the paint comes out of the brush irregularly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Got a bit of time today to working on my Amiga 600, sound was poor so need a few caps changed. Fitted the new accelerator card, memory upgrade, realtime clock, CF Card and added a kickstart ROM switch (switch also disable the accelerator for better A500 compatibility).

Before:
    20764849326_dd83d7cbd8_c.jpg

After:
    20168495534_4157c7ec14_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

You sir are a master, looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

Hey there, bit new to the forum, but you guys wouldn't happen to know the correct value for the Potentiometer of a Dreamcast to read retail or backup discs at? Found an old dreamcast in my shed that has the common disc read error, only I'm sure one of my older brothers attempted to muck about with it years ago. I figure there's an optimal range for reading discs, but I'm not sure if that is unique to each model, or each individual unit. Any ideas?

I picked up this PS2 for the pricely sum of zero, though as can be seen, the reason is evident. It was absolutely caked in dust & dirt, it looked like it had been buried in soil for years. In the below pic, the lid has been removed, but I ended up doing a complete tear down of it & washing all the plastic properly, and using an air gun to clean the electronics. The drive also wouldn't read, so I stripped that down too & cleaned the lens, and greased all of the moving parts. Once done, I reassembled the whole thing & cleaned the exterior plastic again with a windex derivative so it's actually mint now...so much so that I've given it a permanent place beside the PS3 & PS4. Not happy with that, I brought the network adapter & hdd out of retirement for it, so it's sitting there ready to to be used, minty clean, with all my games installed on it :)

Pic of the console now, as promised (albeit days late!) The flash is highlighting some of the hard to notice pre-existing scuffs in the plastic that can't be cleaned away, but to the eye the console is practically factory fresh. It takes up residence now alongside the PS3 & PS4, and is equipped with a network adapter & internal 120GB hdd. I've been looking at some of the mods out there that can allow you to use a 2.5" sata drive with the network adapter (without having to butcher the adapter) so will prob eventually stick a 500GB/1TB drive in it at some point in the future.

Linoud wrote: »
    Hey there, bit new to the forum, but you guys wouldn't happen to know the correct value for the Potentiometer of a Dreamcast to read retail or backup discs at? Found an old dreamcast in my shed that has the common disc read error, only I'm sure one of my older brothers attempted to muck about with it years ago. I figure there's an optimal range for reading discs, but I'm not sure if that is unique to each model, or each individual unit. Any ideas?

Hi and welcome,

From what i read on the interwebs it varies between devices.

http://theisozone.com/tutorials/dreamcast/hardware-and-modding/how-to-recalibrate-the-dreamcast-gdr-drive-lense/

A bit of trial and error but there is a possibility to burn out your laser so beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

eddhorse wrote: »
    Hi and welcome,

From what i read on the interwebs it varies between devices.

http://theisozone.com/tutorials/dreamcast/hardware-and-modding/how-to-recalibrate-the-dreamcast-gdr-drive-lense/

A bit of trial and error but there is a possibility to burn out your laser so beware.

Had a good try at doing this for an hour or two, got it to recognize there was a sega disk inserted, but returned to dreamcast menu right after, which is an improvement but, only for the one disk read, then it went back to being weird, kept it around the same value but I think the laser might be just burned out/dead already from being in the shed for so long. I think it was put there because of it tbh. :p

Thank you though. :)

Just the usual dishwasher load :)

y2bFIoe.jpg

I opened up that Mac Classic i got for parts, was a mess of rust inside as the battery leaked all over the metal. But the electronics seen untouched(mostly) and it did power on to a wobbly screen.
    Think i can use the internals, and I have a few ideas for the very yellow externals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

When cleaning PCBs in a dishwasher, can you use detergent?

Update: ah "A small amount of dish-washing detergent can be added to help the cleaning process"

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    When cleaning PCBs in a dishwasher, can you use detergent?

Update: ah "A small amount of dish-washing detergent can be added to help the cleaning process"

This isn't the first Mac Classic PCB this dishwasher has seen :D

Dishwasher is fine just don't get caught !! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,602 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Apparently you can cook fish in the dishwasher if you wrap it air tight in tinfoil.

What an appliance!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Doesn't work on the cat though.
    Or... so a friend tells me....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Doesn't work on the cat though.
    Or... so a friend tells me....

A device to both wash and cook a cat - an amazing appliance indeed

o1s1n wrote: »
    Apparently you can cook fish in the dishwasher if you wrap it air tight in tinfoil.

What an appliance!

Yep, I tried it out a while back.
    Was cooked with lemon and Rosemary with a little fresh chopped garlic. Sealed the crap out of it and stuck it on a power wash.

The result, tasty cooked fish. But I think I'd rather just use the oven :)

I try way too many things I see on Lifehacker :)

Thanks to Steves dishwasher recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Does anybody know if the 6 screws on the bottom of the NES can be got in bricks and mortar stores? Even though I have fixed etc a fair few NES's I've strangely enough never had to replace any of the screws.

Corholio wrote: »
    Does anybody know if the 6 screws on the bottom of the NES can be got in bricks and mortar stores? Even though I have fixed etc a fair few NES's I've strangely enough never had to replace any of the screws.

I had to get one online.
    Or you could make your own :
    http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/18/mini-how-to-make-a-tool-to-breach-nintendos-security-screws/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

eddhorse wrote: »

No, it's the actual screws I'm looking for.

Corholio wrote: »
    No, it's the actual screws I'm looking for.

Ah sorry i mistyped, wouldnt say you can get them in the stores. To the interwebs

• Advertisement

Starting keeping a blog on the various fixs/mods/tweaks I've been at. Hoping to update it further with both new projects and stuff I've already done.

Latest addition, NegCon & JogCon supergun support.

http://retrotechr.blogspot.ie/

Advertisement