Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you love about Ireland ?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I LOVE THE MOURNE MOUNTAINS ! YEPEEE !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

I love
    - the sense of community especially in rural areas
    - the sense of humour, I don't think there is any place in the world with a similar sense of humour (some might say this is a good thing)
    - the fact that I can go to college, finish my degree and not be crippled by debt for the first 10 years after I graduate
    - the fact that a tiny country on the western edge of Europe is known pretty much around the world
    - GAA- I love the games, the people, all of it. There is no feeling like being at a final, be it All Ireland, provincial or even an Under 16 county final with people who are so passionate about this amateur sport.
    - the fact that as an Irish citizen I have no problem travelling the world with regards to visas etc
    - the music, the language, the things that make us uniquely Irish. They are not as prevalent as I would like but they are still there in corners around the country and as long as there is someone, somewhere speaking as Gaeilge and playing some trad I will always live in hope of a revival

I am sure people will pick holes in this but I am proud to be Irish, I love living in this country and while I do want to travel the world I cannot imagine living permanently in any other country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

there is nothing i love about ireland we are a greedy national most ppl would step on someone else to get ahead we dont learn from mistakes and most ppl cannot make their own mind up but choose to repeat the mistakes of their parents but then arent most countries like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

alot of good and bad with this and any other country, i lived abroad for a few years and that deep deep routed nationalisim shown by the people of my host country made me take stock of my own country, its easy to knock the place, anybody can be negative, but negativity will eat away at you till all you become is bitter with the world and harbour no self esteem or worth, i find it as no concidence that the happiest people i know are the few that remain as positive(as possible) in trying times, FWIW i dont have an arse in my trousers no more than alot of people on this site....

off the top of my head, some of the things i appriciate about where i am from(rural midlands)

the fact that the water from the well at my house tastes the exact same as any overpriced bottled stuff
    whats seldom is wonderful, so when when we do get a good spell of sunshine, we really appriciate and make the most of it
    our national games... the friends i have made from playing with a small club team, have become my most steadfast friends in life
    the esteem in which we are held in other countries.... in my limited experience, we are viewed on as a nation of friendly warm mannerly (alcho:D) people
    way more that i cant think of off hand

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

the ring of kerry I was down there last week man it really looks like something out of Lord of the Rings really is the stuff of fairy tales class place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

kuntboy wrote: »
    The humour. Puns are not funny. Sarcastic slagging is not funny. We're not funny.

The belligerence. We don't have to automatically disagree with everything just for the sake of it. Just admit we're wrong.

The ugliness. We're ugly as sin. I can barely look at us.

Jeeez.. really living up to the user name arn't you?! crack a smile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭tc2010

I was speaking to a customer from the UK before who drove to Ireland in a camper van. It was late at night and he was looking for somewhere to park.

He ended up pulling into a halting site not realising who lived there. He went down for something to eat leaving the van there and by the time he got back his camper van was gone

Id say the guards did some laughing :pac:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 47 lilka

dingle

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭moonandstars

Things only the Irish say that other nationalities don't understand...'we had great craic lastnight'...does not generally mean we had great drugs lastnight! Hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

The best thing about Ireland is the people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭time42play

I'm sure I'll look back fondly once I manage to escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

A lot......

- our sense of humour, and trust me being abroad I've taught a bit to foreigners
    - the scenery, particularly the countryside and coastal areas
    - Maynooth, both the college and the town
    - the music, particularly folk and trad
    - people in general are very warm and friendly
    - our nightlife, never had a bad Friday in Dublin
    - our Welfare system
    - the Late Late show
    - very small, you never live over two hours from the coast

That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

karaokeman wrote: »
    A lot......

- our sense of humour, and trust me being abroad I've taught a bit to foreigners
    - the scenery, particularly the countryside and coastal areas
    - Maynooth, both the college and the town
    - the music, particularly folk and trad
    - people in general are very warm and friendly
    - our nightlife, never had a bad Friday in Dublin
    - our Welfare system
    - the Late Late show
    - very small, you never live over two hours from the coast

That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more.

I love the way people revive ancient 4-year old threads on AH just for the crack, like, oh...and Taytos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Joe prim wrote: »
    I love the way people revive ancient 4-year old threads on AH just for the crack, like, oh...and Taytos

I do love my nostalgia :rolleyes:

Tayto, obviously.

Mainly the unselfconsciousness of Irish people, and that self-deprecating thing, and the sense of humor and general helpfulness and niceness, and the brown bread. Especially the brown bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

BPM energy drink and the countryside, that's about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

Rain. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Fresh Air
    Soft green grass everywhere
    So many beautiful natural structures and views, coupled with old historic architecture
    Ample Public holidays and Holiday time
    Employees Rights
    The quality of the food
    I think we seem to be relatively nice to animals too...
    Charitable people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

The hairy gees.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ezekel

The fact that wherever you are you are never far from great scenery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Cooked breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I was thinking what's this, a positive thread about Ireland? oh wait no it's a zombie

Now that I'm not in Ireland, which is so typical only appreciating something when it's gone, but I really appreciate the quality of our food, fruit and veg that taste like what they're supposed to taste like. More specifically potatoes and teabags! omg I've given up trying to buy potatoes here. Also simple foods that just don't really exist here ....... baked beans, proper chipper chips with vinegar, they don't even sell malt vinegar, good bread, parsnips, mushy peas! Just nice sweets as well, no liquorice is not a sweet, gross! Other things...... good supermarkets, takeaways, the dutch do not know how to do takeaways and lots shut so early, order before 9, wtf is that. Another thing, couriers, they just will never ring your phone when they get to your house, so I've been waiting on a delivery for a week now, multiple delivery attempts were made while I was in but I didn't know coz I live in an apartment block, ring my bloody phone! I almost forgot, cider!!! That's a big one for me coz I don't drink beer so I'm sorta screwed here. I also really hate that everything in supermarkets is so pre-pared, like sliced up onions in a pack, onions are not even supposed to be left exposed so they always taste vile. And so many pre-made sandwich spreads ughhh. I know why they're all so damn skinny now, coz the food is so bad!

You gotta love irish people ofc. Anyway I'm off home for the weekend tomorrow so I'm just dreaming of all the things I'm going to eat and you can bet I'll be bringing teabags and other bits back with me. I cannot wait, I just want mash and beans!

tldr: food

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I'm in the same country as you, --LOS--, and they sell Heinz baked beans in the AH (edit: also several varieties of AH brand "tomato beans", I have a can of them in the cupboard but haven't tried them yet). You can find them in Jumbo as well. I find the fresh bread and the produce infinitely better here and the supermarkets sell produce you prepare yourself as well as the pre-prepared stuff. But I buy most of my produce from the Turkish grocers next to my AH anyway, they're cheaper, fresher and have a great selection.

I personally prefer the takeaways here to back home. The ones in my city (Utrecht) are open until all hours of the morning - enter your postcode here http://www.thuisbezorgd.nl/ to see what's still open near you.

I miss crisps and teabags but I can usually get decent amounts of supplies shipped back and forth on a regular basis.

I also agree with you about cider. I'm not much of a cider drinker myself but I like to cook with it and Jillz is not a cooking cider! However, that was resolved by simply asking my local off licence to order it in for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

The relaxed atmosphere, the friendliness, the camaraderie, the craic but most of all - the the people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Pawn

Drumpot wrote: »
    Tell me 10 things you like about Ireland" . .
    Skangers
    Drug addicts
    Pyjama girls
    Trains every 145 minutes
    Knackers
    Show off
    Unemployment
    Moronic drivers
    People who have no idea how to use motorways#
    People who have no idea how to drive a car
    Mums in 4x4 collecting their kids from school
    .... 10 wasn't it???

Pawn wrote: »
    Skangers
    Drug addicts
    Pyjama girls
    Trains every 145 minutes
    Knackers
    Show off
    Unemployment
    Moronic drivers
    People who have no idea how to use motorways#
    People who have no idea how to drive a car
    Mums in 4x4 collecting their kids from school
    .... 10 wasn't it???

Where do you live? Are you taking your meds? Your post sounds depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

The tea! Tea here in Ireland is amazing! Actually, just the food in general :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Pawn

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    Where do you live? Are you taking your meds? Your post sounds depressing.

Nah, no depression here, you just forgot to take your meds ;)

Pawn wrote: »
    Nah, no depression here, you just forgot to take your meds ;)

Honestly Pawn, I've spent over half of my life abroad ....... London (15 years), France (7 years), Germany (8 years), The Middle East (4 contracts), Africa (1 contract) and now The States. After all that I can honestly say that Ireland is the best country in the world (IMO). Am not saying this because of booze/gra mo chroi/home sickness ..... but taking the whole and comparing it with those countries. PLUS, the quality of life. Don't talk about the rain to Eritreans :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I used to complain about Irish people a lot but after a year abroad I've realized they are my favorite people in the world.

Advertisement