Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you love about Ireland ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I love it that even the most successful Irish person sounds an absolute eejit. The may be super smart, but as soon as you hear the accent, there is a sense of that person being just another joe soap from down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

theboxer wrote: »
    Some of the replies to this thread are hilarious. Ireland is by no stretch of the imagination some sort of utopia. But each and every one of us who was born here, as an Irish citizen, won the lotterty that is called life.

For 80/90 babogs, this is for you. We enjoyed free education. More or less free sport. Okay, so you paid two quid each week as "subs", but you get two or three training sessions and a match each week for your buck. More or less free. The refs gotta be paid. Our families got circa 300 euro each week per childer. Nowt wrong with that, you wouldnt get it anywhere else. I could go on and on, about the financial benefits of living in Ireland. But I wont.

We live in an absolutely amazing country when it comes to scenery. Giants Causeway, The Burren, Lahinch, Kilkenny Castle and the surronding areas, Blessington Lakes, Corcaigh Park, West Cork, Inchydoney coast and much, much more.

Listen, on the grand scheme of things, we are doing alright. If only we could put a wee roof on the nation, she would be grand.

The economy aint everything.:)

Huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Subliminal Stimulus

As a nation we have been taking it up the ass since at least the 12th century, while continuing to only use our military for peacekeeping and defence.

This is why I love my country, and why I am proud to call myself Irish.

Karma will catch up and grant us some good fortune, and when that day finally comes I want to be here. It's going to be a party to remember!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Subliminal Stimulus

As a nation we have been raped, pillaged and plundered since at least the 12th century, but we choose to only use our military for peacekeeping and defence.

This is why I love my country, and why I am proud to call myself Irish.

Karma will catch up and grant us some good fortune, that's for sure. We send a lot of money to help the less fortunate in Africa - could you imagine if some of these nations actually gain control of their governments? A lot of them are very mineral rich, I mean, they should be economic powerhouses. If they owned what is rightfully theirs, then these guys would be only too glad to give large contracts to Irish firms. Or maybe we'll 'harness the power of the sea', selling our spare energy to Europe. Or maybe this volcanic ash will enrich our soil, making it the ideal location to grow a strain of super bio-fuel.

I dunno, I just get the feeling that we are due some good times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 adds

I love Ireland but not for any particular reason. I guess because I'm born here and it's part of who I am.

Things that I love:
    Summer months(nothing better than a hazy summer evening playing football on the green until dark)
    Living by the sea
    My friends

I love the people, we Irish are the best,:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭theboxer

seraphimvc wrote: »
    bored of this country atm.seriously,how can people never think of do some change or make life better?

same old chips and drinks for all these years.man,culture is not diversed is a thing,but people really lack of passion in life. can people please try something new/different thing???

cant wait to leave this country asap,i really need to breathe some fresh air.(ya,and the ****ing wind is so STRONG here!!!)

And which paradise are you from yourself? May I suggest you return there?

The wind is too strong. Jaysus.

Huh?

Error on my part, I meant to say month.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Liamario wrote: »
    I love it that even the most successful Irish person sounds an absolute eejit. The may be super smart, but as soon as you hear the accent, there is a sense of that person being just another joe soap from down the road.

Really? I always thought the Irish accent made people sound charming - in some cases, more so than they actually are! Of all the accents in the English language, I like the Irish one the best (although there is incredible variation, and can someone please explain the Cork accent to me :confused:?).

That said, language is what I love most about Ireland: not just the unbelievable literary history, but the way that people think and talk and string words together, even in everyday conversation.

Really? I always thought the Irish accent made people sound charming - in some cases, more so than they actually are!

Recent studies claimed that the Irish accent was the sexiest on earth. You have to remember, Rosie, that since the recession, there is a lot of self hatred going on in this wee nation.

Its like a child after being refused his fave bag of sweets. "I hate you, ma".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

There's a lot i love about this country.

The fact no matter who you pass on country roads they'll always salute you.
    The stunning scenery we have here,especially down around west Cork etc. For such a small country we do have quite an impact in economic and scientific affairs.
    Must mention the milk again..you just can't beat whats available here. The fact you go to a pub or cafe and instantly get talking and have a quality chat with a stranger. The standard of trad and irish folk music in general is brilliant.

While i do love the place i'll probably still move abroad once finished college. Maybe for only a year or two but possibly more,but in the end it will make coming back here probably all the more special.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Its only since ive been away from Ireland that ive started to appreciate what a great place it is. And to all the begrudgers, spend some time away from Ireland and you'll appreciate it too.
    I love:

-The pubs, you just cant beat the craic and atmosphere
    -I love the sense of community, especially around GAA
    -Irish food is awesome, sausages, spuds, black pudding, bacon and cabbage, stew. The milk and butter is unrivaled IMO
    -The fact that everyone loves us, i feel very proud to be Irish-
    -I love how for such a small country, we've had such an effect on the world through our culture and history

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Btwndeyes

I like that no matter where your from everyone knows you, I've spent time in USA and many European countries and there is no sense of community or anything. The people here are generally nicer and even if its just a smile and a hey as you walk past someone it makes all that difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Tanora

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

The procrastination of Irish people and the general "it'll be grand" attitude from a lot of people is great. The unarmed Gardaì are a great bunch.

That's where it ends for me though. Shithole in every other respect as far as I'm concerned.
    1. I'm guessing you might be a guard, So you basically have a good job,with little hassle and decent rewards..Overall you get good respect from the public and you are never in any form of danger.
    2. It'll be grand attitude,is deffinately our greatest trait, it make us unique and quite easy to work with.
    But I can never understand why someone would want to say his/her country is a Sh!thole....If you feel that way about it, Then move along and find somewhere that suits your requirements..

I love this country and am very proud of what we have a achieved on the world stage in all aspects of our culture,We're in a mess at the moment but so is everyone else and we'll come back from this..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

This weekend gone I drove nearly the entire west coast of Ireland stopping at some of our most famous landmarks.

We have a spectacular country and I love the unspoilt, rugged beauty of our landscape. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭macaronicheese

The procrastination of Irish people and the general "it'll be grand" attitude from a lot of people is great. The unarmed Gardaì are a great bunch.

That's where it ends for me though. Shithole in every other respect as far as I'm concerned.

Ah thats cause you're from louth , the county of unattractive hominids

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

The Chinese food

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I like it because its my home and I would dearly miss it if I had to leave for an extended period.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Love Ireland, were definitely the friendliest and most laid back people on the planet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Irelands great, just blow up the centre of dublin.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

the bananas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Gigiwagga wrote: »
    the bananas

the ones u buy out of a pram on moore street?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

SeaFields wrote: »
    This weekend gone I drove nearly the entire west coast of Ireland stopping at some of our most famous landmarks.

We have a spectacular country and I love the unspoilt, rugged beauty of our landscape. :)
    Best sarcastic post of the day award!!!

Either that or you didnt drive the main road along the coast from Sligo to Donegal.
    Or at the coast of Donegal at Gweedore.
    Or on the coast at Enniscrone in Sligo.
    Or the coast road from Oranmore into Galway city.

Ireland is far from unspolit.
    And I havent mentioned the state of the litter on the main roads.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭tc2010

I love the way being overweight and just a complete mess is socially acceptable whereas somewhere like Spain the opposite is accepted

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

How is being overweight socially acceptable? Lots of Spanish people are grossly fat too, they have a huge problem with childhood obesity at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Riverdance
    Irish playwrights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I'm proud of Man United Liverpool and Celtic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

irish soccer clubs to the core lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

Giving directions to tourists in Irish
    Giving directions to tourists eventhough you dont know the way yourself.

Advertisement